Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-11-2009, 01:55 PM   #1
DLord

DLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud of
Default Mavs at the Trade Deadline ... Ideas, Rumors, Thoughts ....Where do they fit?

http://www.dallasbasketball.com/fullColumn.php?id=1323

Mavs Searching For 'Gasol-Like' Bargain

Cuban: 'It's Possible' - And That's Enough For Us To Explore Rumors

By David Lord -- DB.com

The Mavs have cash, needs and a track record of lavish spending. Logic told us several weeks ago about Phoenix owner Robert Sarver wanting to do deals to sink his Suns below the tax threshold; now it's accepted as fact that owners all across the league – having been kicked in the teeth by the economy -- have joined him in wanting to downsize payroll.

So what is this year’s version of the Pau Gasol-to-LA steal? Will one be out there? And how do the Mavs get in on it? DB.com’s Mike Fisher posed that very question to Mavs owner Mark Cuban:

“It’s possible,’’ Cuban told us. “It's hard to say it can be along the lines of a Pau Gasol deal, though, because there aren't many Pau Gasols out there, are there?''

With that “possibility’’ as my jumping-off point, some stream-of-consciousness Mavs-related NBA trade thoughts – all with the goal of Dallas “winning’’ at the negotiating table:

*Trade buzz is everywhere, owners and teams are in financial disarray, and star players are rumored to be available. At the top of my wish list for the Mavs? It hasn’t changed in the last few weeks despite all the added names – it’s still Shaq. Who else can bring both a physical presence and dominant low-post scoring to a club that needs much more of both?

Why Shaq? His contract runs out by 2010 and he’s playing at a top level. He still changes the game when he’s on the court. And he’d complement Dirk perfectly both in his play and his demeanor.

My earliest ideas theorized that PHOENIX badly needed to make a change, and Shaq and Matt Barnes for Josh Howard and Jerry Stackhouse would be a deal that would make Amare, Nash, and Suns’ fans ecstatic over a return to their up-tempo style, while putting an extra $30M or more (from lower payroll, lower tax, and additional NBA welfare) into the pocket of frugal Suns’ owner Sarver over the next 1+ seasons. (Let me say that again, so its impact in this economy isn’t lost: $$ Thirty Million Dollars Extra $$) At the time, it seemed like a logical idea, with Dallas getting Shaq, and Phoenix gaining not only J-Ho but also landing two huge upgrades by reaping re-energized versions of Amare and Nash for what they have now. Unfortunately, the ensuing talk out of Phoenix was that the Suns’ brass preferred the Shaq style attack.

But the times they are a-changin’.

Only weeks later, the whole NBA is competing for any cash-increasing deals they can land, the Suns are now in all-out seller mode, and reports say they now would love to keep the younger Amare and unload Shaq if only they could find a taker.

* But if I’m sitting at that negotiating table now – with only nine days to go until the Feb. 19 deadline – I’m driving a hard bargain. How much do the Suns want to move money? Top off the trade with the aging-but-still-very-effective Grant Hill who would fit hand-in-glove into the Mavs in place of J-Ho, and send back two young energy guys in his place (Green and Singleton) to supplement their restored running game after Shaq leaves. Oh and by the way, we don’t need any cash like others will demand if they eat such a lopsided deal financially, so instead you can drop us one of those No. 1 picks you’re always giving to others.

Your Bucket O’ Cash is awaiting, Mr Sarver, you might wanna sign here before we find a better offer.

* Would I want Amare? Of course. Sure there’s the knee and the immaturity and the lack of defense and the unfortunate background, as well as the contract that ends in 2010. But if the Suns really would rather trade Amare, and want a cousin of the above proposal (J-Ho and Stack) in exchange, sign me up. He's big, young, and talented.

The bigger issue would be, do I have enough young talent, expiring contracts and (gulp) draft picks to be involved? It depends on the Suns’ priorities. If they primarily want young talent and picks – and that’s the word -- they’ll probably shop elsewhere. (Like, um. … Portland? I hate to say I told you so, but. …) But if the Suns are mostly shopping for Money For Sarver, they might like to shop here: they can include Leandro Barbosa, who is a bit overpaid and whose contract stretches beyond 2010, along with Matt Barnes and reap that $30M+ windfall that begins by shaving their current payroll by over $5 million and immediately putting them under the tax threshold for 2008-09. How would those pieces fit in Dallas? Who cares! We'll make 'em work, just do the dang deal.

* NEW ORLEANS -- talented but in reported cash trouble – is another prime place to look for a bargain. Reports are everywhere that they are ready to dump a major contract (and the talent that goes with it) if someone will take one.

* Tyson Chandler? He is said to be very available. Interesting. He’s young and big and mobile. Check, check, and check. Are there question marks? Yep. They range from a giant contract to questions of how much effectiveness he would lose without Chris Paul spoon-feeding him gimme baskets.

While a young effective big man is hard to find, all things considered I’d still rather have Shaq if I can have either. Why Shaq over Chandler? O’Neal might come cheaper. He’ll be off the books for 2010. And for a short term – which is all that matters right now – he is a greater force.

* Who else from New Orleans? Can Dallas get Peja in a salary dump? I bet so – though that clogs up the 2010 plan. The more I consider this one, the more lukewarm I am about it. But it has to be looked at.

* I strongly prefer the Mavs shoot for a difference-maker as opposed to a “plug-in’’ or yet another eighth man. There are rumors everywhere that you can shop for a giveaway of some of the SACRAMENTO players like Udrih, Brad Miller, and maybe even Salmons, but in the long run does any of that do more than move the Mavs up the ladder a couple of slots in the West for the next few years?

* I have no reason to think he’s available. But I look at the expensive payroll of the WASHINGTON Wizards, see them mired in the basement and having nothing to show for all that expense, and wonder if they’d let go of Caron Butler for an aggressive offer combining savings and cheap kids.

* From Dallas’ end of things, keep an eye out for the dealing of Brandon Bass. On a talent level, he’s definitely turned into a keeper. But considering 2010, Bass is a less attractive signee for Dallas – and might be more valuable as an attractive young asset in a swap.

* Let’s go back to the widely-rumored idea of Udrih from the Kings. While he’s a decent backup, isn’t he their overpaid mistake? So if they want to move him (just like Dallas wanted to move Diop), yes, I’d do it – but only for the overpaid Matt Carroll. And that’s a good deal for Sacramento, because it subtracts about $10 million off their obligation for that mistake of a deal. And we believe Sacto is another franchise a bit tight on funds right now.

But if we’re looking at an overpaid, underperforming, backup PG, am I willing to erase that whole contract for them by using my Stackhouse Trade Chip? No way. In this economy, using that value for such a low return would be moronic.

* How about the payroll-strapped MILWAUKEE Bucks? Richard Jefferson-for-Josh/Stack? Not intriguing to me. What is the benefit other than to save the Bucks a pile of cash? For the Mavs, the talent swap is lateral while the payroll gets much bigger - and 2010 is erased too.

Now, if the Bucks want to include Villanueva and Sessions in the conversation too? Let's talk.

* The NEW JERSEY papers are discussing Vince Carter to Dallas. Would it involve J-Ho? Lateral. Without J-Ho? Obviously if the price is fairly cheap, it’s interesting. In terms of excitement, Vince represents a shot in the arm.

But there’s a bigger issue. My Nets’ contacts say that while Kidd would welcome Jefferson to Dallas, not so with Carter. Things between them had deteriorated severely by the time Kidd was traded; bringing Carter here, they say, would pose a significant chemistry problem.

* CHARLOTTE has almost completely remade its roster, and the Bobcats are actually on the verge of being talented. So I bet Raymond Felton -- despite the Tinsley rumor and despite Michael Jordan saying his pending free agency keeps everything open -- is slipping off the bargain table. Rats.

* I am well aware of those LA CLIPPERS trade ideas that ask for J-Kidd. They don’t interest me (because I think Kidd's presence is a key to future short-term success). But if they are just looking for any expiring contract (like Stackhouse) and want to move some talent, let’s talk. Chris Kaman? If he’s a giveaway, yes, I’m interested despite the injuries. The Baron Davis part of the rumor does nothing but lock me into a financial cage for four years.

* I’m more interested in Camby, though. And you know, when we talk “NBA Salary Dump,’’ the Clippers are pretty much the first and last word.

* Remember our idea of a swap with HOUSTON, bringing McGrady for Josh Howard and filler? The Rox are in disarray (in their last 10 games with the team now at full strength, they've lost to Indy, NY, Philly, Memphis, and Milwaukee), and said to be actively looking at altering the mix. But having seen the footage of TMac's pathetic attempt to dunk the ball (and unable to get the ball past the bottom of the rim), ouch! I take that one back. One play isn't everything, but it's symptomatic of his huge decrease in athleticism that has reached major proportions now.

If Houston calls trying to peddle TMac, hang up the phone and run away.

* Would the Rockets try to move Artest in an attempt to clean up their chemistry (he and T-Mac reportedly have "ongoing issues" between them)? Maybe so. And despite the drama that always follows Ron-Ron, if the price is cheap, I'm interested. Last summer, I believe the Mavs discussed Stackhouse-Bass for Ron. Now? I'm hesitant to send Bass to Houston, because his stock is up and Artest's is down. But in Artest, we are talking about a difference-maker here. And shouldn’t that be the point of Dallas’ deadline-dealing?

* If teams are coveting Stackhouse (for his expiring contract, of course) – and I think they are -- the Mavs have an upper hand of sorts. In the whole process, let's hope above all else the Mavs are disciplined. If they don’t get a difference-making deal for Stackhouse right now? Then wait. He’s not an expiring deal whose window of opportunity is closing. In the draft-time market in June and the free-agent market in July, he’ll be a commodity that a team can acquire and immediately add another $5-7 million of spending room for the summer free-agent market (or to reduce payroll). That should make him even more valuable than he is right now.

* I hope we don’t see Dallas locking into the idea of a specific player acquisition and then – in classic “We Love Our (New) Team’’ fashion -- tossing cash and picks into the deal. I want the Mavs to make a trade. But I want them to “win’’ the swap, too.
DLord is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
"we like our team", aaaaarrrrggghhhhh, barack obama=precedent, break the bank, crack is bad, dammit horse, dirk 4 starbury, dirk for salmons! hooray, gay tags, grasping at straws, happy precedents day, i have a dream, i love jason kidd!!!!!!, it's all cuban's fault, josh 4 kobe, kidd>harris, longsufferingdouchebag, longsufferingharrisfan, longsufferingspamfag, make a trade, nitpickeverything, shaq 4 precedent, standing pat 1on1, tired head, yes we can!!!!