Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 02-11-2004, 12:40 AM   #1
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts
Default Pre-Olympics Soccer Tournament, Mexico-US result

No Olympics for the U.S. Men: Mexico 4, U.S. 0

Landon Donovan and the U.S. couldn't conquer Estadio Jalisco.
© U.S. Soccer

GUADALAJARA, Mexico (Tue., Feb. 10, 2004) - The U.S. will not qualify for the Olympics for the first time since 1976 as Mexico dominated for a majority of the 90 minutes and came away with a 4-0 win in the hostile Estadio Jalisco. Before the U.S could get off one of their two first-half shots, Mexico already held a 2-0 advantage with back-to-back goals in the 27th and 28th minutes. After Convey was dispossessed in the corner, Mexico scored their first goal on a counter attack. Captain Diego Martinez sent a cross in and found the head of Rafael Marquez Lugo who finished soundly for a 1-0 lead. Just one minute later, another Mexico counter would result in the second goal as a Martinez cross for sailed over the head of Mario Perez and into the net. Kyle Beckerman came on for Chris Wingert in the second stanza as the U.S. shifted to a 3-5 2, but the change would not pay off. Mexico went up 3-0 in the 55th minute as Lugo gathered a rebound facing away from goal, turned, and slotted his shot inside the post. A stoppage time goal in the last minute led to the final 4-0 margin. The U.S. was outshot 18-4 and only forced goalkeeper Jose de Jesus Corona to make on save - and that was in the 80th minute. Earlier in the evening, Costa Rica advanced to the Olympics for the third time with a 3-0 win over Honduras.

http://www.ussoccer.com/ US Soccer official page

Old 02-11-2004, 02:28 AM   #2
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future
Default RE:Pre-Olympics Soccer Tournament, Mexico-US result

very unfortunate for the U.S. team ...poor showing

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 02:08 PM   #3
kingrex
Platinum Member

kingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the rough

I heard the fans in Mexico are extremely hostile towards the U.S. team. They make Eagles' fans look like spectators at a croquet tourney. Something about bags of urine being tossed at the players and chants of "Osama, Osama". Really bizarre crap like that.
kingrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 03:09 PM   #4
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold
Default RE: Pre-Olympics Soccer Tournament, Mexico-US result

I knew we should have called out the B-1B sorties.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 05:07 PM   #5
Chiwas
Guru

Quote:
Something about bags of urine being tossed at the players...
THAT'S NOT TRUE!

The urine is tossed without bags.

Old 02-11-2004, 06:59 PM   #6
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

I wonder if the next time a Mexican national team sets foot in a U.S. arena if a resounding cry of:

"CORONADO, CORONADO, CO-RO-NA-DO!

will fill the air. I'm guessing not, but it might be funny.

Or perhaps the Mexicans were paying some kind of homage to some of their compatriots who were working in the WTC Windows on the World restaurant on September 11, 2001.

I am ashamed for them, if they aren't for themselves.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 07:40 PM   #7
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Fans cross the line quite a bit. However, I must say that this is just about as disgusting of an incident as you can possibly find other than a fan beating an official to death or something similar to that.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 11:45 AM   #8
Chiwas
Guru

I read an article in a Mexican newspaper with the oppinons of several Mexican players, coaches, owners, etc., about the hostile acts against the US team in the games, above all in the last game, related to the "Osama" ranting and the booing of the US National anthem.

Some comments of the interviewed persons defend the right of the fans to do what they did cause they payed a ticket, etcetera. However, most of the opinions are against the acts.

Also a friend of mine told me what had happened cause she watched the game and I didn't.

Although most people here don't understand -<u>for many reasons</u>- what Osama and the 9-11 mean for the American people, I do understand.

Also many persons here hate the US in general and you might know why. Besides, Mexico has suffered major defeats in soccer against the US lately and if you would know what soccer means for our people, you would understand why they acted that way as well.

As I said, I understand pretty well the 9-11 and everything around it -or at least I'm well informed. Also I hate when a national anthem from whatever country in whatever country is booed or a national flag is burned -which here didn't happen-, that's why I apologize if I meant -here on in other threads- that I approved the acts. I didn't and I don't approve those or other kind of offensive acts.

Old 02-16-2004, 12:02 PM   #9
mavsman

mavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to behold

Yes, it's pretty disgusting, but let's not forget that in most cases the loudest fans are no rocket scientists.
I really had to laugh last season, as Dirk kept being booed because Germany did NOT want to go to War, because a year before that, I was watching a Mavs game at the Alamodome, where I stood amidst a crowd that would comment every single one of Dirk's possessions with "F'in N*zi, don't you wanna start a war? War, that's all you Krauts think about" and so on and on and on.
mavsman is offline   Reply With Quote