Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 10-27-2004, 10:40 AM   #1
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute
Default AJ on the Ticket right now

I'll post updates.
Old 10-27-2004, 10:45 AM   #2
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: AJ on the Ticket right now

Hit with alot of injuries. When key guys are on the court they are doing better defensively than last year.

Q: How is this team going to be different than last few years? Last year team had no defense like "OK Corral". Two years ago we played defense, finished in middle of the pack. That is how we want to play this year.

Q: Do you want to be coach now, to heck with playing? I'll have my time, whether that's 2, 3 years from now.. or whatever. Had a few butterflies before the game. I made some mistakes. Been in office since 6AM, knows why coaches say they can't sleep after games.

Q: What coaches would you look up to? The one I'm working with now. and Popovich....

Q: Is it important to get a PG to run this team? Absolutely. JT, wouldn't call him a veteran, MD been injured.... not a major concern, but is very important.

Q: How much will Dampier be featured in Offense? He will be featured, he's no Russell, but he is a top Center in the league right now. Most important: He has to block shots.

edit: To add some key words I obviously didn't type when I was hurrying to get the answers on the board.
Old 10-27-2004, 10:47 AM   #3
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

..once he adds blocking to his game he will be invaluable (or something like that).

Q: What's favorite thing about being a coach? I like the chess matches. I like creativity, and thinking ahead of opponent coach. I'm more of a traditional coach than Nelson.

That was it.
Old 10-27-2004, 10:53 AM   #4
BaylorTMW

BaylorTMW is on a distinguished road
Default RE:AJ on the Ticket right now

More of a traditional coach like nellie...is that right?
Old 10-27-2004, 10:58 AM   #5
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

Quote:
Originally posted by: BaylorTMW
More of a traditional coach like nellie...is that right?
No, he said he(AJ) was traditional... and Nelson is not a traditional coach.
Old 10-27-2004, 01:56 PM   #6
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

I definitely liked his substitution patterns a lot more than Nellie's so far this preseason. He let guys get into a grove even if they didnt do much their firts 3-4 minutes. Other than the Dampier/Booth/Nowitzki lineup and sometimes filling the 2 spot with Harris, it was a very traditional lineup. With the injuries, I'm glad he played those funky lineups too. We could have had 48 minutes from the uber-spares, but we at least got minutes from regular season contributors. I think that led to the higher level of competition last night.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 02:29 PM   #7
BaylorTMW

BaylorTMW is on a distinguished road

ahh, thanks u2. my dsylexia (sp) must be acting up...
Old 10-27-2004, 02:40 PM   #8
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
he's no Russell,
Does this qualify as "badmouthing," in the same vein as "he's no Shaq" or "he doesn't have the gifts that Nash had"?
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 02:51 PM   #9
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

Chum,
its telling the truth, that's it. Damp is a top five center.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 02:57 PM   #10
Psychedelic Fuzz
Platinum Member

Psychedelic Fuzz is on a distinguished road

is it safe to add AJ to the list of Nellie assistants who go on to be top level coaches?

Psychedelic Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 05:58 PM   #11
dirk2003

dirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to all

Yes
Old 10-27-2004, 06:01 PM   #12
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I like the chess matches. I like creativity, and thinking ahead of opponent coach. I'm more of a traditional coach than Nelson.
Whaaaa? He described Nelson in the first two sentences and then he denies being like him.
FreshJive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 06:42 PM   #13
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: jayC
Chum,
its telling the truth, that's it. Damp is a top five center.
Are there 5 centers in the league today who can legitimately be considered on the same level of playing ability as Bill Russell? Personally I can only see a somewhat convincing argument for Shaq with no one else even coming close. So saying that Dampier is not a Russell is like saying that Michael Finely is no Michael Jordan or that Josh Howard is no Julius Erving or that Jason Terry is no Magic Johnson. Don't see how that is really bad mouthing per say just because you say a player is not as good as a hall of fame player and one of the top 5 to ever play that position.
Old 10-27-2004, 06:48 PM   #14
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

Chum wasn't being serious. It was a Nellie haters joke.
FreshJive is offline   Reply With Quote