Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 02-12-2003, 12:18 PM   #1
FlyinGK22

FlyinGK22 is on a distinguished road

Jerry Brewer of the Orlando Sentinel reports: Yesterday, when the NBA announced that Magic forward/center Shawn Kemp had been suspended for violating the terms of the NBA/NBPA Anti-Drug Program, many thought that Kemp had another drug relapse. Well, it turns out that it was really a missed drug test.

Kemp will take that same test today and hopes the results can be processed quickly enough so that he can play in Orlando's next game, which is thursday night in Detroit.

Kemp said he was supposed to take a drug test last Thursday, but he had rescheduled for today because he was out of town during the all-star break. He said he had done this before without incident.

"It really surprised me," Kemp said of the suspension. "I look forward to taking the test. It's not a problem."

As someone who has been red-flagged twice, Kemp is tested every week. This is the third drug-related incident of his career. In April 2001, Kemp checked himself into a rehabilitation center as a patient for cocaine abuse. Last February, he served a five-game suspension for violating the anti-drug program.

This time is different, Kemp said.

"It's a small misunderstanding," Kemp said. "I just think they're going a little overboard with the suspension."

Heak, it was announced only two hours before the Magic's game last night against the Nets.

As for the Magic's take on this, they are behind Kemp.

"The basketball part, I could really care less," Magic Coach Doc Rivers said before the game. :"Some people might think Shawn's a bad guy, and some stuff that has happened in his life might give you that. But he's not. The perception of Shawn had changed, I think, with you guys and us."

"Shawn's going to be fine," owner Rich DeVos said.

Asked whether he wants Kemp to return, knowing his history, knowing that next time there is always the possibility of another incident, DeVos said, “Yes, I want him back. Definitely.”

This season, Kemp is averaging 7.9 points and 6.4 rebounds per game.
Rank: #1 in Midwest Division, #1 in Western Conference, #1 in the NBA

Next game: Sun, Feb 23 @ Wizards
FlyinGK22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-2003, 12:59 PM   #2
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

<< This season, Kemp is averaging 7.9 points and 6.4 rebounds per game. >>

And 2.1 pregnated women per game as well. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 02-12-2003, 01:21 PM   #3
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

that's alot of impregnated women per 48 minutes played...
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2003, 03:11 PM   #4
FlyinGK22

FlyinGK22 is on a distinguished road

haha
Rank: #1 in Midwest Division, #1 in Western Conference, #1 in the NBA

Next game: Sun, Feb 23 @ Wizards
FlyinGK22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2003, 05:30 PM   #5
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

It's time for him to go. I thought the NBA rule was 3 strikes and you're out. B/c i know a good player(Michael Ray Richardson) lost his career to drugs after his 3rd time.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2003, 05:42 PM   #6
TripleDipping
Diamond Member

TripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud of

Does this constitute as a 'strike'?
TripleDipping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2003, 08:08 PM   #7
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

Once a pothead always a pot head.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2003, 08:12 PM   #8
scooterj5
Golden Member

scooterj5 is on a distinguished road

<< Once a pothead always a pot head. >>

That's dumb.
Old 02-15-2003, 10:37 AM   #9
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

<<

<< Once a pothead always a pot head. >>

That's dumb.
>>

Always dumb to be a pothead.
Old 02-15-2003, 06:32 PM   #10
scooterj5
Golden Member

scooterj5 is on a distinguished road

He was clean !!!