Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 02-24-2011, 04:29 PM   #1
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Mavericks Stand Pat on Deadline Day, Ready to Make Championship Run

Quote:
Some General Managers insisted that the trade deadline was going to be quiet due to the upcoming Collective-Bargaining Agreement, a potential lockout and other factors. That was not the case as the past few days turned into an incredibly active trade deadline. The Mavericks sat on the sidelines and kept the current cast of characters in tact. "This group's got special chemistry and they've really earned the right to make a run for the roses," Mavs General Manager Donnie Nelson said. "We feel great about it and we're looking forward to the playoffs."

Jason Terry mentioned that he felt no movement would be good movement for the Mavs and give them even more of a boost. "It’s big, it’s big because what it does is it instills confidence in the guys that we have from management," Jason Terry said of his team standing pat. "We know they believe in us. We know we’re a strong team and all it does is reassure us of our thoughts. I know right here, with this team we have in Dallas, we’re a contender."

Nelson agrees with Terry's assessment. Nelson said the club had talks at some level with nearly every team in the league and that Roddy Beaubois, the was the most popular prize trying to be had. As teams continued to incorporate Beaubois in any negotiations, the conversations stopped. "Roddy is a very popular Maverick when it comes to receiving phone calls," Nelson said. The GM made sure to mention that he sang "Happy Birthday" to the 23-year-old guard.
read the rest here http://www.mavsmoneyball.com/2011/2/...ampionship-run

thoughts going forward?

Last edited by BGMaverick9; 02-24-2011 at 05:01 PM.
BGMaverick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-2011, 04:37 PM   #2
ghazi
Platinum Member

ghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud of

hhmm...
ghazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 04:39 PM   #3
CadBane
Banned

CadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond repute

BG,

Did you ever hear official word on exactly what the Cats wanted from us for G-Force?
CadBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 04:44 PM   #4
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CadBane View Post
BG,

Did you ever hear official word on exactly what the Cats wanted from us for G-Force?
Nothing specific but Roddy's name kept popping up in most of the scenarios that came the Mavs way.

Butler has value as an expiring but it doesn't come across as THAT strong because there are expiring deals all over.

Last edited by BGMaverick9; 02-24-2011 at 04:45 PM.
BGMaverick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 05:02 PM   #5
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9 View Post
read the rest here http://www.mavsmoneyball.com/2011/2/...ampionship-run

thoughts going forward?
Getting someone like Murphy would have been huge, assuming he's Bean Town bound. Thinking with the size we have at the 5, maybe an undersized tweener like Leon Powe to push Cardinal down the rung could help in the next 26 games. Allow Marion to focus on the 3 spot.
Kidd Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 05:06 PM   #6
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidd Karma View Post
Getting someone like Murphy would have been huge, assuming he's Bean Town bound. Thinking with the size we have at the 5, maybe an undersized tweener like Leon Powe to push Cardinal down the rung could help in the next 26 games. Allow Marion to focus on the 3 spot.
It is going to be a short list of players that could come on board because
- they might want to go somewhere they can play
- the mavs might not see them more than just a warm body

The rotation is pretty set in stone with flexible moments based on the matchup.
There still remains two positions you always hope to have more depth at, center and point guard...that's the place to start.
Old 02-24-2011, 05:32 PM   #7
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9 View Post
Nothing specific but Roddy's name kept popping up in most of the scenarios that came the Mavs way.

Butler has value as an expiring but it doesn't come across as THAT strong because there are expiring deals all over.
Yea maybe its because of the potential free agent class but i've noticed the trade value of expiring contracts has decreased dramatically.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 06:28 PM   #8
j0Shi
Diamond Member

j0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond repute

After all I feel we really didn't miss out on anything. Iggy wasn't available and Portlands offer for Crash was a tad stronger than what we could have offered. I know we didn't want him because of the huge contract but even if ... no way.
Denver wanted to keep J.R., same with Detroit and Prince.

Adding Roddy to the market would have changed everything, but I still believe its the right desicion to keep him. So not much assets ... no trades. Same goes for Spurs, Lakers and Miami I guess.
j0Shi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 06:35 PM   #9
nikeball
Platinum Member

nikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond repute

According to Adrian Woj yesterday, Miami offered Mike Miller for Brendan Haywood, but the Mavericks turned the Heat down. It would've reunited the DampWood combo in Miami. If that combo won the title, I would've been on life tilt.

Last edited by nikeball; 02-24-2011 at 06:36 PM.
nikeball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 06:43 PM   #10
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

The only All-Star talent Dirk ever had next to him after Nash left and before Kidd arrived was Josh Howard (who only made it as an alternate)... Devin Harris eventually blossomed into one, but that wasn't until he went to NJ.

During the Avery era we tried to surround Dirk with "veteran" talent, but they were mostly just aging role players... In the Carlisle era we've gone after PROVEN veterans, many of whom have been All-Stars in the past and are still playing at a high level...

Jason Kidd - 10x All-Star, 5x All-NBA first team, 1x All-NBA second team, 4x All-Defensive first team, 5x All-Defensive second team
Shawn Marion - 4x All-Star, 2x All-NBA third team
Peja Stojakovic - 3x NBA All-Star, 1x All-NBA second team

We also have fringe stars like Tyson Chandler (who should/will be an All-Star) and former 6th Man of the Year, Jason Terry.

Throw in Barea (one of the league's most explosive backup PG's), Haywood (a starting center playing backup), Mahinmi (a 3rd-stringer with the talent of a 2nd-stringer), Stevenson (a great defender who can knock down threes), Cardinal (a sharpshooting bruiser) and one of the league's most exciting x-factors, Roddy Beaubois... well, we're pretty friggin' deep!

Dirk playing like an MVP doesn't hurt either...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 06:48 PM   #11
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Call me a cynic, but isn't it a bit disingenuous for Donnie to talk about locker-room vibe and how great a guy Caron and we wanted to keep him all along? They tried to trade him. Several times.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls

Last edited by LonghornDub; 02-24-2011 at 06:52 PM.
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 06:56 PM   #12
Thomas86
Golden Member

Thomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to all

I wanted Prince on the team but I whon't lose any sleep over it...hopefully Butler is able to come back this season.
Thomas86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 06:58 PM   #13
j0Shi
Diamond Member

j0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond repute

If you see what the Celtics did you should be glad that we stood pat. They also were searching for depth at the 3, gave up a core piece of their rotation and nobody except Danny Ainge seems to understand why they did that.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:01 PM   #14
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

I will predict our summer moves:

Resigning Chandler
Resigning Butler
Resigning Barea
Trying to resign Peja and Stevenson to vet contracts

and thats it
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 07:11 PM   #15
j0Shi
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
Call me a cynic, but isn't it a bit disingenuous for Donnie to talk about locker-room vibe and how great a guy Caron and we wanted to keep him all along? They tried to trade him. Several times.
Yes and no. In fact there were only two trades in which Butler would have been involved: Harris and Prince. Both no-brainers. It was not like they intended to give him up for any healthy body ... at least it didn't look that way.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:15 PM   #16
LSMF
Diamond Member

LSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond repute

Harris or Prince would have been nice, and I understand why the FO would pursue such trades. And I also understand why they chose to stand pat, even though some would say it's risky. However, I hope it makes the guys more confident that the FO believes in them. This team has nice chemistry, hopefully we can get back to playing the kind of suffocating defense we were playing earlier in the season though.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:21 PM   #17
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
cynic...what if it were deron williams, or carmelo.. Everyone has a price tag even one that you like a lot.

The only person on this team that I would revolt about being traded is dirk. Unless he wanted to go...that's IT.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 07:24 PM   #18
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0Shi View Post
Yes and no. In fact there were only two trades in which Butler would have been involved: Harris and Prince. Both no-brainers. It was not like they intended to give him up for any healthy body ... at least it didn't look that way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394 View Post
cynic...what if it were deron williams, or carmelo.. Everyone has a price tag even one that you like a lot.

The only person on this team that I would revolt about being traded is dirk. Unless he wanted to go...that's IT.
When I hear "no-brainer," I don't think Tayshaun Prince, even though I very much like him. Same with Harris. There were still significant reservations about him, even from many people on this board. No-brainer means no-brainer. Melo or D-Will are no-brainers (for Caron, anyway), but we offered up Caron for a lot of other guys besides those two.

I mean, I don't mind Donnie taking the positive approach, but he's sorta sounding like we refused to give up Caron unless the deal of the year fell into our laps.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls

Last edited by LonghornDub; 02-24-2011 at 07:26 PM.
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 07:27 PM   #19
dalger
Golden Member

dalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant future

Quote:
Of course it is. Then again, he's saying exactly what he's supposed to say now that we didn't trade him. The first German chancellor once said: "What do I care about my chitchat from yesterday?" Everything that happened until the deadline is yesterday's news, Caron's still here and now it's all about making him (and everyone else) as happy as possible. Hopefully they buy it.
dalger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 08:05 PM   #20
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefant77 View Post

Resigning Chandler
Resigning Butler
Resigning Barea

and thats it
If we win the ring, coolio.

If we get ousted in the first, BANANAS.

watch your thoughts, they become your words
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 02:14 PM   #21
StackAttack
Platinum Member

StackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud of

Quote:
He's either not being completely sincere or (and I think this is the more likely scenario, especially with how adamant Caron was that he wasn't going anywhere) Butler wasn't going anywhere without a bounce-back agreement in place.
Old 02-25-2011, 03:30 PM   #22
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefant77 View Post

Resigning Chandler
Resigning Butler
Resigning Barea

and thats it
Stevenson and Barea I predict will be gone but we will keep Peja, Butler, and Chandler
mavs777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 03:49 PM   #23
BGMaverick9
Guru

FYI, I am going to be on 105.3 The Fan tomorrow night around 5:45 discussing all things in Mavs-land.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:16 PM   #24
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
The Mavericks are ready to hit the road to play their next three games, starting against the Washington Wizards on Saturday. On paper, the three games against Washington, Toronto and Philadelphia sound more than workable for Dallas but we know that games are not won or lost on paper. The NBA Trade Deadline came and went on Thursday and the Mavericks decided to stick with the current lineup and use that cast of characters to make the playoff push. Jason Terry mentioned on Thursday that the lack of a move instills even more confidence in the team.

Dirk Nowitzki spoke to the media on Friday and discussed what he thought when he found out that the team remained in tact and will go forward as is. "This is what we wanted," Nowitzki said. "We feel like we're healthy minus Caron (Butler). But other than that, Peja (Stojakovic) is looking good. Roddy (Beaubois) is coming back, getting his legs back. So, we're looking forward to a strong finish here and hopefully a long playoff push."
you can read the rest at http://www.mavsmoneyball.com/2011/2/...e-playoff-push
Old 02-25-2011, 08:17 PM   #25
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

Philly is playing well they should be tough
mavs777 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
spam