Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 01-19-2013, 12:01 PM   #41
oilfieldtrash
Golden Member

oilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of light

The Dirk we all know might be gone. I mean we are halfway through the season already. He has no life in his legs. I really do think that finals run followed by playing for team Germany screwed up his body. I'm hoping like hell that he will come back around.
oilfieldtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2013, 12:15 PM   #42
dirt_dobber
Diamond Member

dirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond repute

this quote today from Mike Fisher at http://mavericks.scout.com/2/1255061.html
DONUT 5

Chris Paul and LeBron James simultaneously take to Twitter to praise the design of a single play, it’s ok to feel a little pride for your coach.

“@CP3 (Chris Paul): MAN, Did anybody see that play the Mavs just ran??”

“@KingJames (LeBron): Helleva play drawn up to get that look for OJ”

So, what happened?

Out of a timeout, Shawn Marion used a screen set by Elton Brand near the baseline to find space as he moved away from the inbounder, Vince Carter. The pass was a little high, carrying Marion out to the 3-point line at the opposite side of the court as the inbounds pass.

While Brand is setting a pick for Marion, Dirk, at the top of the key, moves away from Carter, setting a soft screen on Thabo Sefolosha, who is chasing OJ Mayo as he races towards Carter, giving the illusion that he is coming to get the inbounds pass.

Then, after the pass is thrown across to Marion, Mayo doubles back, racing towards Marion and the ball, as Dirk squares for a second screen on Thabo.

The space is created. The shot is there.

Mayo rises up over the too-late-to-close Thabo and Perkins (who had been guarding Dirk) and nails the game tying 3-pointer.

A thing of beauty, executed to perfection … even the bobble by Marion on the pass, that pulled him out a little further, couldn’t have worked out better.

"Their coach is unbelievable,'' said KD, crediting the architect of the play. "He does so many good things with those guys."
dirt_dobber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:20 PM   #43
dirt_dobber
Diamond Member

dirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond repute

and this quote from Kevin Durant after the game.......

The Mavs have "a heart of a champion,' said Kevin Durant. "Dallas is a championship-level team, no matter what their record is.'' 1-17-2013.
dirt_dobber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:32 PM   #44
Kante
Diamond Member

Kante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilfieldtrash View Post
The Dirk we all know might be gone. I mean we are halfway through the season already. He has no life in his legs. I really do think that finals run followed by playing for team Germany screwed up his body. I'm hoping like hell that he will come back around.
You know that Dirk missed 27 games? Give him 2-3 more weeks or even more until he is fully back!

Some guys here...
Kante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 04:27 PM   #45
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt_dobber View Post
this quote today from Mike Fisher at http://mavericks.scout.com/2/1255061.html
DONUT 5

Chris Paul and LeBron James simultaneously take to Twitter to praise the design of a single play, it’s ok to feel a little pride for your coach.

“@CP3 (Chris Paul): MAN, Did anybody see that play the Mavs just ran??”

“@KingJames (LeBron): Helleva play drawn up to get that look for OJ”

So, what happened?

Out of a timeout, Shawn Marion used a screen set by Elton Brand near the baseline to find space as he moved away from the inbounder, Vince Carter. The pass was a little high, carrying Marion out to the 3-point line at the opposite side of the court as the inbounds pass.

While Brand is setting a pick for Marion, Dirk, at the top of the key, moves away from Carter, setting a soft screen on Thabo Sefolosha, who is chasing OJ Mayo as he races towards Carter, giving the illusion that he is coming to get the inbounds pass.

Then, after the pass is thrown across to Marion, Mayo doubles back, racing towards Marion and the ball, as Dirk squares for a second screen on Thabo.

The space is created. The shot is there.

Mayo rises up over the too-late-to-close Thabo and Perkins (who had been guarding Dirk) and nails the game tying 3-pointer.

A thing of beauty, executed to perfection … even the bobble by Marion on the pass, that pulled him out a little further, couldn’t have worked out better.

"Their coach is unbelievable,'' said KD, crediting the architect of the play. "He does so many good things with those guys."
but but but.... RC sucks!!!!!!!!!!
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 04:42 PM   #46
Spurred1

Spurred1 is a name known to allSpurred1 is a name known to allSpurred1 is a name known to allSpurred1 is a name known to allSpurred1 is a name known to allSpurred1 is a name known to allSpurred1 is a name known to allSpurred1 is a name known to allSpurred1 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilfieldtrash View Post
He hasn't played for half the season. The knee surgery and then the resulting lack of conditioning have made him struggle. He's admitted he came back too soon. Those factors combined with his being 34 are going to affect his play.
He may not return to what he was and just simply be a solid contributor on court, but not the dominating force he was a couple of years ago. It happens. Duncan, Garnett, and Kobe (sorry, he just has too many chuckfests) have all declined. Kobe's having a very good year this year, but it isn't translating into wins, either. It happens with age and years and is inevitable.
That's why Cuban needs to pursue the idea of getting the next franchise cornerstone now. And no, Howard isn't it. Dirk needs to become the 2/3rd best player on the court.
Spurred1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 04:43 PM   #47
davblue

davblue is a jewel in the roughdavblue is a jewel in the roughdavblue is a jewel in the roughdavblue is a jewel in the rough

It's encouraging to see the Mavs playing much better the past couple weeks. Two things really temper any enthusiasm though.. 1) This team is not making the playoff bar a minor miracle. This point might not be as important as there are definitely some encouraging signs that could carry over to the next year if not for 2) the feeling a lot of the current roster will probably not be on the team next year.
davblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:12 PM   #48
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kante View Post
You know that Dirk missed 27 games? Give him 2-3 more weeks or even more until he is fully back!

Some guys here...
I forgot to mention last night that he said he feels its sort of been like a training camp for him during this timeframe.

He's going to look at tweaking his pregame routine to try to get in a better rhythm early. He might also try to be more aggressive early in games.
Old 01-19-2013, 05:19 PM   #49
markus1234
Platinum Member

markus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to behold

Here it is

http://www.foxsportssouthwest.com/01...19&feedID=3577
markus1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:16 PM   #50
Kante
Diamond Member

Kante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9 View Post
I forgot to mention last night that he said he feels its sort of been like a training camp for him during this timeframe.

He's going to look at tweaking his pregame routine to try to get in a better rhythm early. He might also try to be more aggressive early in games.
It should help if he gets the ball early on...
Kante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:40 PM   #51
Rick41
Diamond Member

Rick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninkobei View Post
Probably kneejerking here, but is anyone else getting seriously worried about Dirk? He hasn't been the same since he won the championship and went on his booze-filled celebrations. It's like he is suffering from a multiple year hangover. It's probably unfair for me to say something like that, but its just what I observe. His personality seems different too. Before the championship sure he swore, but he never did so with malice. And it seems a lot more common now. Someone tell me I am crazy please.
I've been asking myself lately, what if Dirk wore himself out during the 2011 title run? He played at such a high level for a 2 month stretch that his basketball body might not recover from that grueling 2 month stretch.

"Dirk Nowitzki is now a household name in every locker room in this world.
You say it in Brazil, you say Dirk, they know Nowitzki. You say it in China,
they know Nowitzki. Kobe, Michael, DIRK." - Jeff Van Gundy
Rick41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:48 PM   #52
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I've been asking myself lately, what if Dirk wore himself out during the 2011 title run? He played at such a high level for a 2 month stretch that his basketball body might not recover from that grueling 2 month stretch.
Don't believe that. Dirk played fantastic last year at the end of the year. And in the playoffs he averaged:

27 PPG
6 RPG
2 APG
44% FG
91% FT

And those stats came off of being defended as the only guy who could score against OKC. The only thing Dirk can't do anymore is rebound at a high level. That is because of the lack of hops. He has lost a lot of his hops the last several years.

But Dirk is right there.

Last edited by Bayliss; 01-19-2013 at 06:49 PM.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:23 PM   #53
Popeye

Popeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluid.forty.one View Post
but but but.... RC sucks!!!!!!!!!!
Nobody said he can't come up with a good inbounds play, but that doesn't really matter when he plays the wrong guys.
Popeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
i'm mike james bitch!