Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 04-12-2008, 10:04 AM   #241
Locked_Up_Tonight
Platinum Member

Locked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to behold

It looks like he has a beer gut from siting out those couple of games.
Old 04-15-2008, 04:44 AM   #242
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Ha...
Quote:
"He watched Elf," said Trey Andrews, manager of Hyperbaric Centers of Texas in Richardson.

"He was in there laughing like crazy."
He may be a dork, but he's my lovable dork.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...n.30b4fd0.html
Quote:
When the most famous spokesperson for your industry is the likes of Michael Jackson, you've got PR issues.

For the record: Dirk Nowitzki never actually slept in a hyperbaric chamber, either with or without a monkey.

He did, however, catch a few movies in one.

"He watched Elf," said Trey Andrews, manager of Hyperbaric Centers of Texas in Richardson.

"He was in there laughing like crazy."

A sense of humor in the face of such claustrophobic prospects is no small feat, either.

Especially when you're 7-feet tall, and the chamber goes maybe 7-2.

Good thing the patient wasn't Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, huh, doctor?

"We'd just bend his knees," said Al Johnson, smiling.

Johnson owns the center where Nowitzki underwent four treatments recently. The unconventional oxygen-enrichment therapy was an attempt to facilitate his return from knee and ankle injuries that could have benched him for weeks.

Nowitzki still won't be 100 percent going into the playoffs, but he was back after 11 days. Credit should go to the crack work of the Mavs' team doctor and training staff and the diligence of the patient.

And exactly how much good did the hyperbaric treatments do?

"I threw the kitchen sink at him, so it's hard to say for sure," said T.O. Souryal, the Mavs' team physician.

"My gut feeling is that it did help."

Doctors generally aren't so sure, citing a lack of scientific data. But they concede anecdotal evidence.

Johnson says that, in a typical athletic injury, healing occurs at a rate 20 percent to 30 percent faster than normal.

Nearly 40 pro athletes have reportedly tried the chambers. Terrell Owens has a soft-sided version, which he credits for his quick recovery after Roy Williams' horse-collar. Zach Thomas told the Miami Herald that 45-minute sessions in his soft-sided chamber helped him recover from aches. Even helped clear his head after concussions.

Warning: Thomas carries a knife when he zips himself in, just in case he needs to cut himself out.

Johnson's hard-shell chambers are another matter entirely. In T.O.'s soft-side bag, he probably gets the benefits of 40 percent oxygen. The hard shell provides 100 percent, which supplies more oxygen to injured tissue, in turn reducing swelling and increasing circulation.

Most of Johnson's hyperbaric patients have autism or cerebral palsy or suffer from strokes. Athletes make up only 5 percent of his clientele, most from local high schools.

And his most famous patient?

"He did very, very well," is all Johnson will say about Nowitzki, which means the big German didn't react as if he'd been buried alive.

Unlike, say, his teammate, Jerry Stackhouse.

"Everybody left and I kinda freaked out," Stackhouse told reporters when describing his treatment for a pulled groin.

"I was like, 'Hey, anybody out there?' "

Quite the contrary, Nowitzki described his treatments as "relaxing."

Frankly, I can't speak for the experience of being sealed up in a monoplace chamber, which, in layman's terms, is a "coffin with a view."

But if it's any testimony, Monday's patients weren't pounding on the glass, either.

If you're thinking about buying your own chamber, you should know a few facts.

The soft-sided versions go for around $20,000. Hardshell: $150,000 and up. If you want to rent one for 90 minutes at a time, treatments go for $200. They aren't covered by insurance, either.

Also, you might be surprised by what you can't take or wear inside: No headwarmers, shoes, jewelry, hairpins, silk, wool or synthetics. No body oils or hair gels. No battery-operated devices. No newspapers.

And, as one man apparently proved to catastrophic results in a clinic in Europe, leave your bullets at home.

Something about the mix of pure oxygen and gunpowder.

"Not good," Andrews said, shaking his head.

Fortunately, Johnson's team conducts a strip search that would make the guys at the airport proud. Otherwise, they make it as pleasant as possible.

Besides Elf, Nowitzki also watched Dodgeball and Zoolander.

"You know," Nowitzki told reporters, summing up his experience, "I think I got dumber lying in that chamber."
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 07:43 AM   #243
twelli
Diamond Member

twelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant future

I love Zoolander.

Dirk should do a walk off with Owen Wilson and Ben Stiller, including the underpants stunt.

“He’s always around 23 or 24,” West said. “The bell rings every day.”
twelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 01:16 AM   #244
twelli
Diamond Member

twelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant future

One positive thing about the first game is that Dirk had a decent shooting night. I take 32 and 10. His defense probably wasn't so good, but at least the Hornets were not able to contain him like the Warriors did last year.

I don't know what went wrong in the forth quarter, though. He attacked the basket or tried to draw fouls on jump shots (or was fouled) but oftentimes didn't get the call. In the forth he started to show frustration, which is not really a good sign.

Anyway, semi-great stuff from the Dirk. Hope he shows uber-great stuff the next game.

Old 04-25-2008, 09:58 PM   #245
twelli
Diamond Member

Am I the only one who feels this thread needs to be bumped up?

Dirk was really carrying the Mavs tonight. Great effort. Efficient shooting, nice passes, tons of rebounds. Good defense. The Hornets have been dirked today.

Old 04-25-2008, 10:05 PM   #246
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

They had no answer...
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 02:23 AM   #247
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

Sucks for West.

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 02:49 AM   #248
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

32-19-6 is just flat out beastly.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 08:21 AM   #249
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashtymavsfan13
32-19-6 is just flat out beastly.
dont forget the two blocks thrown in for good measure.

30-11.3-3.7-1.7

dirks numbers for the series.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 08:58 AM   #250
Sportstudi
Diamond Member

Sportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan

30-11.3-3.7-1.7

Hey West, eat this!
Sportstudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 11:00 AM   #251
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

If only Dirk tapped his cheek after getting that and1 against West in the 4th... maybe he's waiting for the elimination game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twelli
Dirk was really carrying the Mavs tonight. Great effort. Efficient shooting, nice passes, tons of rebounds. Good defense. The Hornets have been dirked today.
When have Dirk not carried the Mavs? I still think he should shoot 40-45 times a game.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 11:04 AM   #252
endrity
Platinum Member

endrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud of

Quote:

30-11.3-3.7-1.7

what a choker this guy is, seriously we need someone else to build our team around!!!
endrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 11:36 AM   #253
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

30-11.3-3.7-1.7

Tim Legler was obviously right...

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 11:47 AM   #254
ghazi
Platinum Member

ghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud of

I shall follow Dirk to the gates of hell.
ghazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 12:19 PM   #255
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart
Tim Legler was obviously right...
what did legler say?
Old 11-20-2008, 04:48 PM   #256
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

got this from db.com -- I couldn't find a direct link to the actual article

There are certain feelings that come over us throughout our lives that make us feel warm and fuzzy on the inside. Feelings that get us through the day when everything might not seem to be going as planned.

A hug from a friend, a kiss from a lover, eating a chicken fried steak smothered in gravy, the creamy sugary taste of a large piece of German chocolate cake, a successful jumper from our German that barely touches the net.

Over the last 10 years, our comfort level with a Dirk Nowitzki jumper has gone from a finger crossed wish every time he jacked it up to, "I can't believe he missed!"

This comfort level and his jump shooting skills were not created over night, nor was it accomplished with magic. It happened because Dirk Nowitzki is a gym rat who works on his skills daily. He has a single-minded focus on improving his shooting skills that even he can hardly believe it when a shot doesn't fall.

Dirk shoots so many jump shots after practice and before games that just watching makes me tired.

Here is generally what he does after each practice and before each game:

Starts with short jumpers from a few feet to get loose.
Shoots 20 footers from four spots - basically both baselines and both elbows. He needs five makes to move to the next spot. He gets three misses to complete the 20 short shots to be deemed successful. He goes until he gets it right.

In between 20 footers (he might do two or three sets to get warm), he will do off-the-dribble jumpers and turn-around jumpers.

After 20 footers, he does 3-pointers. He needs three makes from each of five spots. He is allowed four misses to be deemed successful. Spots are both baselines, both wings and the top of the arc.

After 3-pointers, he may do dribble jumpers from the wings.

Then he varies it up and might do his long step/foot drag jumpers (you have to see to understand). It is basically a long stride with front foot and a toe drag with the back foot. He ruins all his shoes with this drill. As he puts it, "I do this drill to get my rear down on my shots!"

He also does his complete knee bend jumpers. These are jumpers where he does a complete knee bend then springs up and extends into a jump shot.

I'll let him tell you the rest: "Then I will hit a game winner from three. Maybe two game winners. Then I will make 10 free throws in a row. I gotta make 10 in a row. Then a dunk and I am done!"

Last edited by fluid.forty.one; 11-20-2008 at 04:49 PM.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 04:50 PM   #257
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

It was in an email the Mavs sent out this morning.
Old 11-20-2008, 05:55 PM   #258
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

He dunks once a practice? No wonder he never dunks during games.
Old 11-20-2008, 09:43 PM   #259
craggmac
Golden Member

craggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernardos70 View Post
If it wasn't for Dirk, I would never have gotten into watching the NBA.
If it weren't for Dirk, I would have never gotten BACK into watching the NBA. I drove the freakin' Bulls Bandwagon back in the day.
craggmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 01:26 PM   #260
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

I know that, if we are definitely rebuilding, trading Dirk asap is the fastest way to do it.

but..

The man is the greatest Maverick ever. He has been here so long and been through so much with the team and the fans. I think the Mavericks owe it to him to try everything they can to keep him here until retirement, even if it means trading every other piece.

If he demands a trade or opts out, so be it. But what a horrible end to a legacy if we trade him away.. I say no, even if it puts rebuilding off for a couple years.
Old 01-15-2009, 01:27 PM   #261
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

^ agree.

Dirk is a winner in every category of his life.

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
Old 01-15-2009, 01:31 PM   #262
fluid.forty.one

And I know a lot of fans say "team first" and you should be a fan of a team way more than a player. I agree completely. What you have to consider though is that Dirk IS this team. He has been for the last 8 or so years. And it's not just his insane numbers... it's his attitude, his personality.. he's been the perfect sports role model for me and everyone else who grew up watching him.

When this teams goes through all the sh*t during the next few years, I'll be there every game. The Mavericks are my favorite sports team ever, and they always will be. But this is a situation where we need to consider what this incredible individual has done for this organization, and hopefully we don't mess this up.
Old 01-16-2009, 12:48 AM   #263
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Screw the team if they trade away the greatest maverick to ever put on a uniform against his wishes.

And I mean that sincerely.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 12:52 AM   #264
Rick41
Diamond Member

Rick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond repute

Dirk goes, I go.

"Dirk Nowitzki is now a household name in every locker room in this world.
You say it in Brazil, you say Dirk, they know Nowitzki. You say it in China,
they know Nowitzki. Kobe, Michael, DIRK." - Jeff Van Gundy
Rick41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 01:06 AM   #265
GermanDunk
Diamond Member

GermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ty View Post
^ agree.

Dirk is a winner in every category of his life.
Except haircuts !!!
Old 01-16-2009, 01:19 PM   #266
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394 View Post
Screw the team if they trade away the greatest maverick to ever put on a uniform against his wishes.

And I mean that sincerely.
true that.

trading him would mark the end of the Mavs. We'll return to our "glory years" of the early 90s.

Contact Me
Old 02-08-2009, 06:13 AM   #267
Dirkgreatness
Platinum Member

Dirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to behold

I thought this was funny

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80pl68rTc08
Old 02-08-2009, 06:57 AM   #268
Rogue

Rogue is an unknown quantity at this point

I bet our beloved mavs will win title this season. book it.
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 10:39 AM   #269
TheMaverick
Golden Member

TheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to behold

Dirk needs to show up tonight against KG.

The Legendary Mavericks:
- Mark Aguirre
- Rolando Blackman
- Tom Cruise
- Jason Kidd
- Mel Gibson
- Michael Finley
- Dirk Nowitzki
- Jason Kidd (again)
- who's next?
TheMaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 06:46 PM   #270
NYMAVGUY

NYMAVGUY has a spectacular aura aboutNYMAVGUY has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by longsufferingmavsfan View Post
Dirk is great, And I'm sorry and no racism is intended here but If Dirk was a black man he would be called one of the greatest of all-time imo. But since he is a tall white guy from germany he is called soft and weak and a choker. I don't care though because I expect Dirk to lift the Larry O'brien trophy in front of all of the people who criticize him.
Dirk is one of the greatest PF's ever to play the game! Period!!!
He Played the position differently and is one of the most difficult players EVER to guard.

But race isn't the reason he is not getting the Love that he should, or could get.

Here's why.

1. ESPN - He shoots Jump shots and he doesn't look Pretty when he goes to the basket. He's has no television worthy highlights. (Steve Nash is a highlight reel).

2 Dallas hasn't won. Larry Bird and Kevin McHale won even though they had boring games (Espn wasnt a factor then either.)

3.He's a Big guy who plays small. (nothings wrong with it, but in most people's minds, its more admirable to be a small guy who plays big.
ie. Charles Barkley and Nate Robinson) If Dirk played like Lebron Dirk would possibly be the most famous athlete on the planet.

4.Dirk is Tim Duncan without the winning. (not as boring though).
Duncan and Dirk are each hall of fame PF's. Both play in towns that are not New York or LA. So you have to win in their cities to get attention. If Duncan didn't have the rings he would be struggling to get accolades, he barely gets them with the rings and Duncan is Black.

5. Dallas. If Dirk played in New York He would be a superstar! No disrespect to Dallas. (of course Football is the exception).

6. He did choke. Its Okay doesn't mean he's not one of greatest, but black or white, people don't forgive easily. It was hard for Chris Webber to shake that timeout in college. Everyone chokes sometimes its the ones who choke in the Championships that we Remember. ie. Dirk, Webber, Bill Buckner. (Dirk admits he Choked).

7. He's German. Some Americans still harbor some feelings. Enough said about that.

8. Bosh. Nobody but basketball fans know who Chris Bosh is for all the same reasons as Dirk. Not exciting, hasn't won, plays in smaller market. But he's a great player. Dirk and Bosh are the same.

Race isn't the issue. Remember Nash won back to back MVP's recently.

I'm surely not naive enough to think race is never a factor, but its not with Dirk.

Dirk your the man!!!!
NYMAVGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 07:01 PM   #271
GermanDunk
Diamond Member

GermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond repute

Dirk hugs anyone and that´s an attitude, as a soccer specialist, i don´t like at all. Basketball is badass sports and Dirk doesn´t fit in that image of the Rodman´s, Shaq´s and Garnett´s.

But no problem at all. And better for Dirk, better than doing the bad pretender. He´s not a big number here either, but he doesn´t care about that.
Americans don´t care whether he´s white or european or whatever. I´m 100% sure about that.

Last edited by GermanDunk; 02-12-2009 at 07:02 PM.
GermanDunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 07:07 PM   #272
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanDunk View Post
Americans don´t care whether he´s white or european or whatever. I´m 100% sure about that.
Fearful white Americans who feel like black people "stole" basketball from them certainly do...

But you're right - people who DISLIKE Dirk don't ever cite his skin color as a reason to hate him (America is growing up - slowly, but surely...)

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 02-12-2009 at 07:08 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 07:16 PM   #273
GermanDunk
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Fearful white Americans who feel like black people "stole" basketball from them certainly do...

But you're right - people who DISLIKE Dirk don't ever cite his skin color as a reason to hate him (America is growing up - slowly, but surely...)
What would be the other reason ? The club maybe.
Old 02-13-2009, 02:25 PM   #274
peppersquad

peppersquad has a spectacular aura aboutpeppersquad has a spectacular aura aboutpeppersquad has a spectacular aura about

Dirk sure did punk KG last night thou.

Let there be no mistake who has always been the better basketball player.
peppersquad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 04:28 PM   #275
alby
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppersquad View Post
Dirk sure did punk KG last night thou.

Let there be no mistake who has always been the better basketball player.
Without any help either.

Contact Me
Old 02-13-2009, 04:30 PM   #276
ty
Diamond Member

Dirk owns KG, and KG can't stand a bit of it nor can he do anything about it.

KG is such a jack@$$

Old 02-13-2009, 04:32 PM   #277
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Jackpot?

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 06:28 PM   #278
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post

There are alot of people that don't like dirk or question his ability simply because he's white. You haven't listened to sports talk in the metroplex, have you? I can remember a black guy calling in last year to Norm's show saying that Dirk couldn't start on any of the top 4 teams in the Western Conference.. No one is that stupid unless it's hate motivated.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 08:02 PM   #279
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanDunk View Post
Dirk hugs anyone and that´s an attitude, as a soccer specialist, i don´t like at all. Basketball is badass sports and Dirk doesn´t fit in that image of the Rodman´s, Shaq´s and Garnett´s.

But no problem at all. And better for Dirk, better than doing the bad pretender. He´s not a big number here either, but he doesn´t care about that.
kg isnt a thug at all. Hes backed down every time hes been challenged in his career. For all the talk about dirk needing to step up to david west for tapping him, no one says anything about kg running away when anthony peeler elbowed him in the mouth.
Old 02-13-2009, 10:14 PM   #280
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan View Post
kg isnt a thug at all. Hes backed down every time hes been challenged in his career. For all the talk about dirk needing to step up to david west for tapping him, no one says anything about kg running away when anthony peeler elbowed him in the mouth.
Was that Anthony Peeler or Bobby Jackson?

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
<clutch tagging>, 12-15 for 48 points, 3/25m - wow!, clutch nowitzki, clutchwitzki, dir30k, dirk, dirk = clutch...again, dirk goes to 11, dirk is my religion, dirk pwns ur face 4ever!!, dirk tea baggzz nba!!!!!, gay for dirk!!!, his clutchness, his hairness ?, playoff clutch, santa dirk, sir ghost face drillah, top-10 all time scorer, top-6 all time scorer