Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 07-01-2007, 10:03 PM   #1
BEEMER

BEEMER is on a distinguished road
Default Mavs Pursuing Wallace

The Mavericks' No. 1 target in free agency? Folks in Dallas might have been expecting Mavs killer Matt Barnes, but I'm told it's actually Charlotte's Gerald Wallace. ...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/column...arc&id=2922326

I really hope we land him...this guy would be an amazing fit for us...another one of those player Avery Johnson adores...

a 6'7 forward with athletism out of the roof....he reminds me alot of J-HO except J-HO has the abilty to play guard...where i see Wallace more of a SF....

possibe starting line-up

Devin Harris - Terry
Josh Howard - Stack(if we re-sign)
Gerald Wallace - Howard
Dirk Nowitzki - Fazakes? or FA
Diop/Damp - Diop/Damp

i like this....i like it alot...our 2nd rotation is pretty damn good, this puts us into a 9-man rotation that is very deep and athletic, also very quick defensively...still need inside scoring though, even though Wallace would help alot with his slash/attack the basket style...this is making me excited...
BEEMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-2007, 10:10 PM   #2
MascisMan

MascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEEMER
The Mavericks' No. 1 target in free agency? Folks in Dallas might have been expecting Mavs killer Matt Barnes, but I'm told it's actually Charlotte's Gerald Wallace. ...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/column...arc&id=2922326

I really hope we land him...this guy would be an amazing fit for us...another one of those player Avery Johnson adores...

a 6'7 forward with athletism out of the roof....he reminds me alot of J-HO except J-HO has the abilty to play guard...where i see Wallace more of a SF....

possibe starting line-up

Devin Harris - Terry
Josh Howard - Stack(if we re-sign)
Gerald Wallace - Howard
Dirk Nowitzki - Fazakes? or FA
Diop/Damp - Diop/Damp

i like this....i like it alot...our 2nd rotation is pretty damn good, this puts us into a 9-man rotation that is very deep and athletic, also very quick defensively...still need inside scoring though, even though Wallace would help alot with his slash/attack the basket style...this is making me excited...
I really like the idea of Gerald Wallace as well. He is a great defender and loves to score in the paint.

This being said, the lineup you have wouldn't work because we would have to acquire him via sign and trade. Also keep in mind that Charlotte just landed Jason Richardson so they might not be interested in Terry or Stackhouse unless they want a 6th man.

Last edited by MascisMan; 07-01-2007 at 10:11 PM.
MascisMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 10:14 PM   #3
BEEMER

BEEMER is on a distinguished road

it could be possible that we lure him in through our MLE which i am hearing is around the 6 million number...reminder that is just the first year salary...wallace could be intrigued by a 3 year-25 million offer....
year 1- 6 million
year 2- 8.5 million
year 3 - 10.5 million....this could even be a team option or player option...not sure how that works....

but if it is via trade....maybe damp? and cash or future picks?
BEEMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 10:34 PM   #4
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

i wish.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 11:48 PM   #5
Stranger
Golden Member

Stranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to all

Signing him for the MLE would be ideal. A sign-and-trade for Terry would be great too. If the Bobs feel like they are going to lose him (to Milwaukee perhaps, or Orlando if Lewis falls through), and they don't want to take on Terry's contract, perhaps something like this might work:

Dallas trades:
Mo Ager
future first
s&t Croshere at $5mil for 1 yr
...and maybe the rights to Fazekas

Charlotte trades:
s&t Gerald Wallace for $8mil

Last edited by Stranger; 07-02-2007 at 12:25 AM.
Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 11:55 PM   #6
mkat
Platinum Member

mkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to behold

oo i like him. 18 pts a game, 7.2 rbds...i could get behind that.
mkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 12:38 AM   #7
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

This guy is amazing...I hope we land him.

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 02:36 AM   #8
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger
Signing him for the MLE would be ideal. A sign-and-trade for Terry would be great too. If the Bobs feel like they are going to lose him (to Milwaukee perhaps, or Orlando if Lewis falls through), and they don't want to take on Terry's contract, perhaps something like this might work:

Dallas trades:
Mo Ager
future first
s&t Croshere at $5mil for 1 yr
...and maybe the rights to Fazekas

Charlotte trades:
s&t Gerald Wallace for $8mil
Wallace is going to want 9-10 mil and I doubt the Bobcats would do a deal like that unless they become very desperate. I think a SnT Terry for Wallace would work out pretty well for both teams.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 08:34 AM   #9
jacktruth
Golden Member

jacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud of

For me, I keep asking what we would do with him and Josh Howard. Both of these guys seem to be ideal at the 3. I don't know about Josh's ability to be equally as effective at the 2, same with Wallace. Here are ther numbers in comparison:

Howard Wallace
PPG 18.9 18.1
RPG 6.8 7.2
APG 1.8 2.6
SPG 1.17 2.00
BPG .80 .96
FG% .459 .502
FT% .827 .691
3P% .385 .325
MPG 35.1 36.7

Josh is a better 3-pt shooter and Wallace is a crappy free throw shooter. There certainly isn't enough here to say that Josh's performance at the 3 is a problem for the Mavs.

So why the fascination with Wallace?
jacktruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 08:38 AM   #10
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Because we believe Josh can play the 2, and that although nearly identical Wallace has a lot more powerful inside/post game while Howard is a heck of a slasher and outside shooter. Wallace also plays defense which would give us a very well-balanced team.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 08:47 AM   #11
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

How on earth are we supposed to land Gerald freaking Wallace with the mid level?

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 08:56 AM   #12
DelNegro

DelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEEMER
it could be possible that we lure him in through our MLE which i am hearing is around the 6 million number...reminder that is just the first year salary...wallace could be intrigued by a 3 year-25 million offer....
year 1- 6 million
year 2- 8.5 million
year 3 - 10.5 million....this could even be a team option or player option...not sure how that works....

but if it is via trade....maybe damp? and cash or future picks?
Per the CBA raises between contract years are limited to 8% of the first year value when a team signs someone else's free agent. So if you pay him $6 mil in the first year the most you can pay him in the second year is $6.48 mil, and $6.96 mil in the 3rd year.
DelNegro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 09:00 AM   #13
DelNegro

DelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashtymavsfan13
Wallace is going to want 9-10 mil and I doubt the Bobcats would do a deal like that unless they become very desperate. I think a SnT Terry for Wallace would work out pretty well for both teams.
They just acquired Jason Richardson and if they're going to pay another player big money they'd probably rather just keep Wallace instead of spending $10 mil a year to replace Ray Felton with Jason Terry.
Old 07-02-2007, 09:06 AM   #14
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktruth
For me, I keep asking what we would do with him and Josh Howard. Both of these guys seem to be ideal at the 3. I don't know about Josh's ability to be equally as effective at the 2, same with Wallace. Here are ther numbers in comparison:

Howard Wallace
PPG 18.9 18.1
RPG 6.8 7.2
APG 1.8 2.6
SPG 1.17 2.00
BPG .80 .96
FG% .459 .502
FT% .827 .691
3P% .385 .325
MPG 35.1 36.7

Josh is a better 3-pt shooter and Wallace is a crappy free throw shooter. There certainly isn't enough here to say that Josh's performance at the 3 is a problem for the Mavs.

So why the fascination with Wallace?
I think josh would be great at the 2, a rebounding defending 2. So in that case a nice 3 makes a lot of sense.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 09:07 AM   #15
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelNegro
They just acquired Jason Richardson and if they're going to pay another player big money they'd probably rather just keep Wallace instead of spending $10 mil a year to replace Ray Felton with Jason Terry.
Yeah, I don't see any reason Charlotte would want Terry.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 07-02-2007, 09:11 AM   #16
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32
How on earth are we supposed to land Gerald freaking Wallace with the mid level?
Very little chance of landing him with the MLE. Only hope is their new coach Sam Vincent likes Terry or Damp enough to do a SnT for him. They wouldn't be too bad a fit for the Cats who are still considerably under the cap and are reportedly looking for veteran players with playoff experience.

If I were the Cats GM, I wouldn't mind taking Terry/Ager or Pops/Cash for Wallace especially if it gets too pricey to retain Wallace straight up. With Knight gone, Terry can combine with Felton & Richardson to form a nice 3-man guard rotation. Also important to note here is Felton is still quite young and Richardson has been known to be injury-prone. Terry gives them the ideal balance they need.

From the Mavs perspective, they can get rid of an older, smaller scorer and get a younger, bigger, multi-dimensional player. We can then move Josh to the 2 spot OR trade Josh/Diop and fillers for Garnett. Either way, it'll make us a much stronger team.
V2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 09:18 AM   #17
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

The Bobcats are notoriously cheap, for the sake of being cheap. Unless the Richardson trade is the starting point of a change in direction, I would consider it their big salary increase of the season.

I don't seem them taking on big contracts, CERTAINLY not Damps. Terry, maye, but I don't see it.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 07-02-2007, 10:48 AM   #18
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

This is the guy we need to get. I proposed in another thread that we make a sign and trade involving Terry, Frazekas, a future first rounder and cash for Wallace.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 10:57 AM   #19
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky
Because we believe Josh can play the 2, and that although nearly identical Wallace has a lot more powerful inside/post game while Howard is a heck of a slasher and outside shooter. Wallace also plays defense which would give us a very well-balanced team.

I think you're right and I think Howard is morphing into a two guard now with taking more outside jumpers and focusing less on the scrappy stuff.

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 11:05 AM   #20
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

Jul 2, 2007 10:57am ET
Many Contenders For Gerald Wallace
In THE WASHINGTON TIMES, Mike Cranston of The Associated Press writes "The Charlotte Bobcats face heavy competition in their effort to re-sign leading scorer Gerald Wallace. The Bobcats were one of eight teams that contacted Wallace when the NBA's free agency period began at midnight Saturday. Dallas, Orlando, Milwaukee, Detroit, Miami, Portland and Golden State all made inquiries, a person close to Wallace said Sunday."

http://www.nba.com/news/422851.html?rss=true
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 11:06 AM   #21
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

They are not going to want Dampier. They have May, Okafor, and Brezec who are legitimate post players already, they are not going to invest in Dampier's contract for another one, especially foe one that is aging.

If they want to resign Gerald Wallace, they will have Jason Richardson, Gerald Wallace, Adam Morrison, and Matt Carroll locked up in the 2/3 position. IMO, I think that's too many players for two positions. If they were to trade for Jason Terry and give up Gerald Wallace they can go into next season with JRich and Morrison as their starting 2 and 3 respectively. While Terry can be their starting PG and help mentor Felton. With Terry, they can decide to go with the small or quick lineup from time to time. I'm just trying to reason out why the Bobcats would trade away Gerald Wallace... I know I'm living in fantasy land, but I just really want the guy lol (that's why I started a thread just for Wallace).

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84

Last edited by alby; 07-02-2007 at 11:07 AM.
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 11:57 AM   #22
DelNegro

Or they could just keep Wallace, let Carroll walk as a free agent and go sign a veteran PG to mentor Felton for a hell of a lot less than what Terry's making.
Old 07-02-2007, 12:20 PM   #23
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

I think Charlotte could really use another sharp shooter like Terry to help them establish that inside-outside game. Plus, a one-two punch of Terry and Felton with J-Rich running the wing is pretty enticing.

Alby, I really want the guy too.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 12:24 PM   #24
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Or they could just keep Wallace, let Carroll walk as a free agent and go sign a veteran PG to mentor Felton for a hell of a lot less than what Terry's making.
If this were the plan, then why waive Brevin Knight?? Felton is more of a shooter than a distributor, maybe Knight is not the right mentor... Terry on the other hand might be a better fit.
Old 07-02-2007, 12:37 PM   #25
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
You mean like brevin knight?

EDIT: ze purple frog beat me to it.

Last edited by bernardos70; 07-02-2007 at 12:39 PM.
bernardos70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 12:40 PM   #26
DelNegro

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplefrog
If this were the plan, then why waive Brevin Knight?? Felton is more of a shooter than a distributor, maybe Knight is not the right mentor... Terry on the other hand might be a better fit.
Terry may well be a better mentor, but giving up Gerald Wallace to get better mentoring for Ray Felton is a pretty steep price to pay. The Bobcats have cap space. They can go sign someone to mentor Felton without having to give up anything.

Bottom line, there is no scenario where the Bobcats come out ahead by having Jason Terry on their roster instead of Gerald Wallace.
Old 07-02-2007, 12:42 PM   #27
DelNegro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernardos70
You mean like brevin knight?

EDIT: ze purple frog beat me to it.
They obviously didn't think Knight was the guy, but there are several other options besides giving up your leading scorer and agreeing to take on Terry's bloated contract.
Old 07-02-2007, 01:34 PM   #28
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

throw the MLE to Brevin, resign everyone but Croshere, and Trade our draft picks next year and anyone young who's name isnt Harris or Fazekas plus cash for Gerald Wallace.

Damp/Diop/M'Benga
Dirk/Fazekas/George/Mensa Bonsu
Wallace/Howard/George
Howard/Stackhouse
Terry/Harris/Barea
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 01:38 PM   #29
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Diamond Member

MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32
Yeah, I don't see any reason Charlotte would want Terry.
Well it's MJ we'd be dealing with. As great of a player he was he's an even worse GM. You may quote that.
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 02:12 PM   #30
bobatundi
Golden Member

bobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond repute

What if we worked this as two separate trades and gave Charlotte some relief?

Trade #1:
Charlotte sends us Othella Harrington in exchange for our trade exception generated in the Anthony Johnson deal. Charlotte saves $2.5MM on a guy that doesn't play for them anyway; we get an expiring contract that could be part of a trade later this year and don't let the trade exception expire unused.

Trade #2:
We send some combination of players & picks to Charlotte totalling $5.925MM. This could include a sign&trade Jerry Stackhouse--strikes me as a guy MJ would love to have--or some of our younger, but expendable, prospects like Ager, R. Terry or Pops, and/or throw in a future draft pick. Or an "expiring" KVH contract. Plus you kick in $3MM cash.
$5.925MM out allows us to take back $8MM (5.925MM + 25% + 100k). Because it's a sign and trade, Wallace can get 10.5% raises--so he gets a 3-year deal worth $26.6MM. Maybe with a player option for years 4 & 5, depending how badly we want him, which could make it a 5-year, $49.3MM contract or even a 6-year, $62.5MM contract (please note I'm not necessarily advocating we pay $62.5MM to Wallace, just pointing out that we could).

Charlotte saves $2.5MM for Harrington (Jake Voskuhl works here too) and gets another $3MM cash, so whatever they get in return only costs them net around $400k. If that gets them Stackhouse, Ager, or a future first rounder, in exchange for a guy they would have lost anyway, perhaps they pull the trigger. Could also do as another poster on here suggested with the lengthy deferred money on a buyout of a created expiring contract, meaning that Charlotte would actually MAKE money on the deal.

edit: changed from 10% to 10.5% raises after re-reading Larry Coon's FAQ

Last edited by bobatundi; 07-02-2007 at 02:29 PM.
bobatundi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 02:47 PM   #31
DelNegro

The Suns might be looking to sell off players for cash, but the Bobcats aren't. If the Bobcats were that worried about saving some bucks they wouldn't have brought in Jason Richardson. They're looking to get better now and Gerald Wallace helps them do that more than Stackhouse and anyone else the mavs could toss their way.

Also, I'm not 100% sure, but I believe the Mavs lost all rights to KVH yesterday. It's now the 2007-2008 season meaning KVH has been a free agent for a full season. I'm pretty sure bird rights expire after a year.
Old 07-02-2007, 02:56 PM   #32
bobatundi
Golden Member

bobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond repute

If the alternative is losing Wallace they might be interested though.

Not sure on KVH, but we can still manufacture an expiring contract out of Cro, as long as he plays along.
Old 07-02-2007, 02:58 PM   #33
bobatundi
Golden Member

Oh, and if the Bobcats are really looking to get better, they should get a real GM. I agree with the earlier poster, Jordan was a great player, but he is a horrible GM.
Old 07-02-2007, 03:13 PM   #34
DelNegro

If Wallace just decides that he just has to be a Mav and would be willing to take the MLE to be one then that might force Charlotte's hand into taking a deal for Terry or whomever. But I don't think that's the case. Wallace is probably just looking for a payday and as long as the Bobcats pony up market value he'll just re-sign there.

And agreed that MJ is a crappy GM.
Old 07-02-2007, 04:13 PM   #35
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by V2M
OR trade Josh/Diop and fillers for Garnett.
Get that done.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 04:45 PM   #36
bobatundi
Golden Member

Quote:
If Wallace just decides that he just has to be a Mav and would be willing to take the MLE to be one then that might force Charlotte's hand into taking a deal for Terry or whomever. But I don't think that's the case. Wallace is probably just looking for a payday and as long as the Bobcats pony up market value he'll just re-sign there.

And agreed that MJ is a crappy GM.
Pretty much the case that ALL NBA players are just looking for a payday. When is the last time anyone took below their "market value" to go to a contender? Malone & Payton to the Lakers? Other than that, it seems like every year all the UFAs and guys who opt out to become FAs are just looking for the biggest possible payday, which by rule can only come from their current team. It's a rare occasion that any team has enough cap room to offer someone a near-max deal when their own team won't (Nash, Ben Wallace), and usually if such a team exists, who the hell wants to play there (Hawks).
Old 07-03-2007, 11:10 AM   #37
bobatundi
Golden Member

Didn't realize Wallace is only 24. That increases my appetite to bring him here.
Old 07-03-2007, 12:31 PM   #38
Mavs Rule
Platinum Member

Mavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to all

I love Wallace as much as the next guy, and he is my first choice of realistic guys to have here, but he is commanding at least $8-10 Million/year, and he has said that the Bobcats gave him a chance to play, after sitting on the bench in Sac for all those years. So he could be loyal to them. But rumour also has it that his house in Charlotte is on the market, so who really knows. All I know is that he would be a perfect fit here in Dallas, and could single handedly be the difference maker in allowing us to win the championship. If we only lose Terry out of the deal, I could live with that.

Mavericks team pic. Guess which one is Stack.
Mavs Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 01:18 PM   #39
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold

If Raw Lew gets $15mil/yr... don't see how G-Wall settles for anything less than $12mil/yr
V2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 01:20 PM   #40
bobatundi
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V2M
If Raw Lew gets $15mil/yr... don't see how G-Wall settles for anything less than $12mil/yr
Easy--if nobody offers it to him. There are worse things in life than "settling" for $8MM a year.