Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 11-01-2008, 11:56 PM   #1
DavidDaMonkey
Platinum Member

DavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Sefko's Brad Miller trade suggestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Sefko
If you'll notice, this particular blogger doesn't bombard you with a lot of senseless trade talk because there's just not very many trade rumors that ever become actual trades and we don't believe in leading people along for no good reason.

But there is one name out there that could very possibly change teams in the next month or two, and he would fit beautifully with the Mavericks.

It's Sacramento's Brad Miller.

He's an aging center, yes. But he's also a center who consistently rebounds, can hit the elbow jumper and is tougher than nails.

He also played for Rick Carlisle when he was an assistant coach in Indiana. The two had a moment together on the court after Sacramento's preseason visit to American Airlines Center.

Later after that game, Miller said he's a huge fan of Carlisle's.

That alone won't make a trade happen. But if the Mavericks find themselves in a position later this season that isn't what they desire, you know they'll be looking to make changes.

Obviously, at over $11 million this season, Miller would not be acquired easily. It would require a package of players, most likely, perhaps from both sides.

But it's a great name to keep in mind if rough patches are ahead.

This isn't a rumor, so much as a suggestion or an idea, but does anyone have any thoughts on it? I'm not a fan of Brad Miller as a player. I realize he would bring grit, but I don't know if I want his brand of grit.

Someone else there brought up a trade involving (among other pieces) Damp for Miller. I don't know if I like that. I feel more comfortable with Damp on defense than Miller. Right now, keeping good D is going to be really important. I'm happy enough with the offense that is coming from a combined Diop/Damp.

It is intriguing though, especially if it could mean unloading DG or Stack.

Last edited by DavidDaMonkey; 11-01-2008 at 11:57 PM.
DavidDaMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-2008, 12:04 AM   #2
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

As far as on-court reasons it makes a lot of sense. Dallas NEEDS a 5 that can produce on offensive. However, i don't see how we make a trade that make sense. I don't see Sacramento taking Damp. I don't see Dallas trading Diop. So a 3 center rotation wouldn't make anybody happy.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 12:29 AM   #3
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Diamond Member

MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant future

I think they'd take Diop, but not as the only player because the salaries dont match and they would want more anyway. Maybe Diop/Stack/George for Miller?

Last edited by MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs; 11-02-2008 at 12:30 AM.
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 04:16 AM   #4
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

How the hell does Miller make us better? Between Miller and Dirk you'd have the worst offensive rebounding frontcourt in the league, as well as no interior defense. No thanks.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 08:42 AM   #5
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

I just don't get the infatuation with offensive centers that don't defend. They have their place, but not on this team.

Hell Miller doesn't even score in the post. Good grief.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 08:44 AM   #6
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

I just don't see a way to make it work numbers wise.

I don't think it improves Dallas, if they move Damp or Diop. Nothing else makes sense. I just don't see it.

Stack/George wouldn't do it, and basically anything else -- you are badly overpaying for Brad Miller.

<edit> Heck, I'd rather have Mikki Moore.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson

Last edited by dalmations202; 11-02-2008 at 08:46 AM.
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 12:55 PM   #7
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

If they trade Stack/George for Brad Miller, I'm all in.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 01:01 PM   #8
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Man I'm not. It may be a long shot, but Stack is your ONLY viable trade piece this season, and you'd trade him for a soft center that would have no obvious place in the rotation?

I want to get rid of those two as much as anyone, but let's focus on a need.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 11-02-2008, 01:58 PM   #9
Stranger
Golden Member

Stranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to all

We don't just need scoring from the center position--we need someone who can score with his back to the basket so we can get high-percentage shots when the game slows down. Miller has a good jumpshot, but we have enough jumpshooters as it is.
Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 02:08 PM   #10
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

The other Miller is more intriguing.

Stack/DG/?? for Mike.

watch your thoughts, they become your words
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 04:57 PM   #11
birdsanctuary
Platinum Member

birdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to all

I think a bigger priority is the hole at the back up PG spot. JJB is a #3, we let Lue go and I still shake my head at that one...
Old 11-02-2008, 06:01 PM   #12
Rick41
Diamond Member

Rick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitproof View Post
The other Miller is more intriguing.

Stack/DG/?? for Mike.
I like this idea.

"Dirk Nowitzki is now a household name in every locker room in this world.
You say it in Brazil, you say Dirk, they know Nowitzki. You say it in China,
they know Nowitzki. Kobe, Michael, DIRK." - Jeff Van Gundy
Rick41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 06:30 PM   #13
Sportstudi
Diamond Member

Sportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
Man I'm not. It may be a long shot, but Stack is your ONLY viable trade piece this season, and you'd trade him for a soft center that would have no obvious place in the rotation?

Is? You mean he WAS our only viable trade piece. After the first two games I am not sure if any team in the league wants to have this old basketball pensioner...

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the former." (Albert Einstein)

Last edited by Sportstudi; 11-02-2008 at 06:30 PM.
Sportstudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 08:02 PM   #14
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstudi View Post
Is? You mean he WAS our only viable trade piece. After the first two games I am not sure if any team in the league wants to have this old basketball pensioner...
He's (essentially) an expiring contract. Obviously Stack the player is not a trade chip.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 11-02-2008, 08:10 PM   #15
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Stack is worthless, it would be a steal to get BMiller for that. Wouldn't trade Damp for Miller but I damn sure would Stack and DG.

How could anyone be happy enough with the offense from Damp/Diop? Horible.
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 08:15 PM   #16
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
Stack is worthless, it would be a steal to get BMiller for that. Wouldn't trade Damp for Miller but I damn sure would Stack and DG.

How could anyone be happy enough with the offense from Damp/Diop? Horible.
Well, I don't think anyone's happy with their offense. If you could somehow morph Damp and Miller into one player you'd be in business. But you can't, so given the choice I would much, MUCH rather have Damp/Diop on the floor than Miller in most matchups given the makeup of this team.

You have an offensively focused PF and a chance taking, slow PG on defense, along with defensive seives in your bench backourt. You have to have a rim protector at center for this team. Why do you think Bass playing center is so bad for this team? Now granted Miller is a good rebounder (and tall) so it's not as bad as Bass playing center, but it's still not anything close to ideal.

Plus, as others have mentioned, here are Miller's two biggest offensive strengths: passing and jump shooting. Does that fill a need? Of course not.

If you want to give me Zach Randolph, someone who can legitimately score in the post, then ok, I might be willing to sacrifice some defense. But Brad Miller? No thanks.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game

Last edited by jthig32; 11-02-2008 at 08:19 PM.
Old 11-02-2008, 08:39 PM   #17
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Well, I don't think anyone's happy with their offense. If you could somehow morph Damp and Miller into one player you'd be in business. But you can't, so given the choice I would much, MUCH rather have Damp/Diop on the floor than Miller in most matchups given the makeup of this team.

You have an offensively focused PF and a chance taking, slow PG on defense, along with defensive seives in your bench backourt. You have to have a rim protector at center for this team. Why do you think Bass playing center is so bad for this team? Now granted Miller is a good rebounder (and tall) so it's not as bad as Bass playing center, but it's still not anything close to ideal.

Plus, as others have mentioned, here are Miller's two biggest offensive strengths: passing and jump shooting. Does that fill a need? Of course not.

If you want to give me Zach Randolph, someone who can legitimately score in the post, then ok, I might be willing to sacrifice some defense. But Brad Miller? No thanks.
No, I agree but what defense are we losing in giving up Stack(exp) and DG tho?

On another note..... Scott Skiles is all about Defense so I wonder if a DAmp Stack package of some sort would interest them on A. Bogut.
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 10:36 PM   #18
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

That assumes that we could get something better for Stack/Stack's expiring, which I'm not sure we can. I'm sure we could find a use for Miller.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 06:50 AM   #19
Sportstudi
Diamond Member

Sportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant future

Quote:
He's (essentially) an expiring contract. Obviously Stack the player is not a trade chip.
Agreed

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the former." (Albert Einstein)
Sportstudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 08:03 AM   #20
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
That assumes that we could get something better for Stack/Stack's expiring, which I'm not sure we can. I'm sure we could find a use for Miller.
Right. If you told me the choice was keep Stack all season or trade him plus crap for Miller, then fine, I'll do it.

But I think that expiring can bring back something more useful. In fact my current theory is if we hit the all star break (or close to it) with an obvious need, I think the Mavs will shop Bass + Stack for a real commodity.

We'll see.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game

Last edited by jthig32; 11-03-2008 at 08:03 AM.
Old 11-03-2008, 09:48 AM   #21
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

I woudn't mind seeing Miller for either Damp or Stack + DG but I would much rather see us get another center who can play above the rim. I watch New Orleans and how well Paul and Chandler utilize that alley oop play and I think we really need to look into getting someone who can be an alley oop threat from the 5 spot like that.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 01:26 PM   #22
christian_dfw

christian_dfw is on a distinguished road

Anything to get rid of Dampier. Shag was right about him... being the best center in WNBA. Dampier sucks.
christian_dfw is offline   Reply With Quote