Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 07-20-2005, 01:34 PM   #1
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Cowboys offseason Thread

good to hear he is back healthy

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 07:25 PM   #2
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Cowboys down 7-3 to Seattle......defense looks ok but not great although Demarcus Ware made a helluva play.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 10:28 PM   #3
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Cowboys offseason Thread

That 53-yard field goal by Longwell just now, in the conditions, was greatness. Thank God ESPN is whetting my appetite. Who doesn't like a game at Lambeau Field, even if it is the preseason opener.

I can't even BEGIN to tell you how excited I am about Saturday night's game in Arizona. Roll on, football season. Roll on.

I've got the 'Boys for ten wins (secretly, I am holding out hope for eleven). You?

Things to watch for Saturday night:

How does Keith Davis perform as the starting free safety?

Will Terrence Newman bring a punt back?

Will either Tyson Thompson or Woody Danzler or Zuriel Smith do something on kick returns?

Who starts at right tackle? I don't know the answer to that, but I suspect that by the time it's said and done, Pettiti will fill this role.

Who stands out at receiver? Today Parcells said that even the third receiver spot is not set in stone. Could Crayton beat out Morgan for this job? Can Copper make enough plays on special teams to nail down a spot? Don't worry about Johnson or Glenn. Both are poised for excellent seasons, if they don't get injured.

What does Henson show in game conditions? Romo? Word is that Parcells has some interest in Testaverde for the backup job. Makes a lot of sense to me. But even though Romo appears to have some of that intangible moxie, don't look for Henson to be making an exit anytime soon. Parcells is notoriously tough on young QB's who he thinks have talent. Witness the young Phil Simms in New York, who rode the pine for quite a while before he found the field. But don't dismiss Romo, either. Parcells once believed in Ray Lucas when no one else would have, and it served him well. The third quarterback spot will be one of the most interesting battles of the preseason. I'll be more than surprised if Testaverde isn't wearing a helmet with a star on it next year.

Will Justin Beriault be the next Bill Bates? He probably needs to make some plays in preseason, much like Lynn Scott did a couple years ago, particularly in the Oakland game. He tackled a ton in college, but will that translate to the NFL?

This should be an entertaining preseason, with at least two starting spots up for grabs and several roster spots hinging on special teams play. As I said, I can't wait for Saturday.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 03:11 AM   #4
mavs413
Golden Member

mavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the rough

Chum, your more interested about what Henson and Romo are going to look like? Not Bledsoe? He is the starting QB.
I'm interested in the defense, 4-3 vs 3-4 schemes and who is out there in those different formations.
I'm not worried about the O-line at all because a good RB makes any line look good. With Allen and Flozell already being as good as they are, JJ should have some huge holes to run through this season. They are going to be regarded by most as one of the best O-lines in the NFL by midseason.
Crayton
Barber
Ware
Beriault
Killer Keith
Burnett
Canty
Bradie James
Newman
Of course Julius Jones.
And I cant wait to see Roy at his natural strong safety position, laying out fools.
mavs413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 03:11 AM   #5
mavs413
Golden Member

mavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the rough

Chum, your more interested about what Henson and Romo are going to look like? Not Bledsoe? He is the starting QB.
I'm interested in the defense, 4-3 vs 3-4 schemes and who is out there in those different formations.
I'm not worried about the O-line at all because a good RB makes any line look good. With Allen and Flozell already being as good as they are, JJ should have some huge holes to run through this season. They are going to be regarded by most as one of the best O-lines in the NFL by midseason.
Crayton
Barber
Ware
Beriault
Killer Keith
Burnett
Canty
Bradie James
Newman
Of course Julius Jones.
And I cant wait to see Roy at his natural strong safety position, laying out fools.
mavs413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 10:39 PM   #6
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I can't even BEGIN to tell you how excited I am about Saturday night's game in Arizona. Roll on, football season. Roll on.
Iā€™m Tivoā€™n it and will have probably watched each play at least 5 times by the time we play Seattle.

Quote:
I doubt heā€™ll return one Saturday. I think Bill is going to use him like Deonā€¦heā€™ll only return punts when the opponent is kicking from inside their 20 so heā€™ll have a chance for a big return.

Quote:
Will either Tyson Thompson or Woody Danzler or Zuriel Smith do something on kick returns?
Iā€™m anxious to see TTā€¦I keep hearing about this blazing speed but I donā€™t think I heard Bill say heā€™ll be in the rotation.

Quote:
Who starts at right tackle? I don't know the answer to that, but I suspect that by the time it's said and done, Pettiti will fill this role.
I donā€™t think Itā€™ll happen this year. It sounds like Rogers has it locked down if he can stay healthy.

I hope they didnā€™t screw Henson up by changing his throwing motion. Wonder if heā€™ll revert to his sidearm style when the pressure is on.
Old 08-11-2005, 10:40 PM   #7
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

I love the opening weeks of the NFL season, theres so much anticipation built up over the spring/summer. But, each year I just stop caring for those 12 weeks or so after the start and right before the playoffs begin..

Contact Me
Old 08-11-2005, 11:16 PM   #8
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

D2K, I'm with you on the Tivo thing, man. I suspect that you and I are cut from the same cloth.

You're probably right about Newman. Bill doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who is comfortable with two different return guys, but of course we know for a fact that he wasn't willing to risk Newman last year. This will probably depend in large part upon what the other guys do in camp and preseason. If someone could win the job, I expect that Parcells would be happy being comfortable with Newman on the sidelines. But Bill is looking for some punch. I'm certain he'd like to have a guy with a ton of ability in that role, and if Newman is the guy, then he's the one if there is enough depth in the secondary. But if someone like the fourth or fifth receiver (or fourth safety?) steps up in that role, then so be it. At any rate, I do expect him to return one Saturday. Check back here Sunday and we'll see who's right. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

I'm not positive about the return rotation, either. But I think that if Thompson is going to make the team, he better do it there. I guess he could do it on kick coverage too, but this seems more natural. Like you, I am anxious to get a look at this blinding speed.

On a side note, I'm almost sad that Bickerstaff has been reduced to an ultimate longshot. I have always liked him.

I have absolutely zero faith in Rogers. In fact, I worry about the team if he is starting. I believe I would rather Noll or Vollers be out there. Until I see something, that is. And of course, that's what preseason is all about.

I dont' worry in the least about Henson. If he figures it out, great. If not, see ya.
Old 08-12-2005, 12:24 AM   #9
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

I declared Rogers a bust after last season but I've been hearing good things about him from the coach and the media. I also hear that Petiti is struggling, as you would expect a rookie to do. He's been backing up Flozell on the left side so he's going up against that speed deamon from Troy.
Old 08-12-2005, 04:26 AM   #10
alby
Guru

Our cb's are so good. Anthony Henry, Aaron Glenn, Terrance Newman.. Newman is the 3rd best rated cb on our team in Madden, crazy =]

Contact Me
Old 08-11-2005, 10:28 PM   #11
chumdawg
Guru

That 53-yard field goal by Longwell just now, in the conditions, was greatness. Thank God ESPN is whetting my appetite. Who doesn't like a game at Lambeau Field, even if it is the preseason opener.

I've got the 'Boys for ten wins (secretly, I am holding out hope for eleven). You?

Things to watch for Saturday night:

How does Keith Davis perform as the starting free safety?

Who stands out at receiver? Today Parcells said that even the third receiver spot is not set in stone. Could Crayton beat out Morgan for this job? Can Copper make enough plays on special teams to nail down a spot? Don't worry about Johnson or Glenn. Both are poised for excellent seasons, if they don't get injured.

What does Henson show in game conditions? Romo? Word is that Parcells has some interest in Testaverde for the backup job. Makes a lot of sense to me. But even though Romo appears to have some of that intangible moxie, don't look for Henson to be making an exit anytime soon. Parcells is notoriously tough on young QB's who he thinks have talent. Witness the young Phil Simms in New York, who rode the pine for quite a while before he found the field. But don't dismiss Romo, either. Parcells once believed in Ray Lucas when no one else would have, and it served him well. The third quarterback spot will be one of the most interesting battles of the preseason. I'll be more than surprised if Testaverde isn't wearing a helmet with a star on it next year.

Will Justin Beriault be the next Bill Bates? He probably needs to make some plays in preseason, much like Lynn Scott did a couple years ago, particularly in the Oakland game. He tackled a ton in college, but will that translate to the NFL?

This should be an entertaining preseason, with at least two starting spots up for grabs and several roster spots hinging on special teams play. As I said, I can't wait for Saturday.
Old 08-11-2005, 10:39 PM   #12
dirno2000
Diamond Member

Quote:
Iā€™m Tivoā€™n it and will have probably watched each play at least 5 times by the time we play Seattle.

Quote:
I doubt heā€™ll return one Saturday. I think Bill is going to use him like Deonā€¦heā€™ll only return punts when the opponent is kicking from inside their 20 so heā€™ll have a chance for a big return.

Quote:
Iā€™m anxious to see TTā€¦I keep hearing about this blazing speed but I donā€™t think I heard Bill say heā€™ll be in the rotation.

Quote:
I donā€™t think Itā€™ll happen this year. It sounds like Rogers has it locked down if he can stay healthy.

I hope they didnā€™t screw Henson up by changing his throwing motion. Wonder if heā€™ll revert to his sidearm style when the pressure is on.
Old 08-11-2005, 10:40 PM   #13
alby
Guru

I love the opening weeks of the NFL season, theres so much anticipation built up over the spring/summer. But, each year I just stop caring for those 12 weeks or so after the start and right before the playoffs begin..

Contact Me
Old 08-11-2005, 11:16 PM   #14
chumdawg
Guru

D2K, I'm with you on the Tivo thing, man. I suspect that you and I are cut from the same cloth.

You're probably right about Newman. Bill doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who is comfortable with two different return guys, but of course we know for a fact that he wasn't willing to risk Newman last year. This will probably depend in large part upon what the other guys do in camp and preseason. If someone could win the job, I expect that Parcells would be happy being comfortable with Newman on the sidelines. But Bill is looking for some punch. I'm certain he'd like to have a guy with a ton of ability in that role, and if Newman is the guy, then he's the one if there is enough depth in the secondary. But if someone like the fourth or fifth receiver (or fourth safety?) steps up in that role, then so be it. At any rate, I do expect him to return one Saturday. Check back here Sunday and we'll see who's right. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

I'm not positive about the return rotation, either. But I think that if Thompson is going to make the team, he better do it there. I guess he could do it on kick coverage too, but this seems more natural. Like you, I am anxious to get a look at this blinding speed.

On a side note, I'm almost sad that Bickerstaff has been reduced to an ultimate longshot. I have always liked him.

I have absolutely zero faith in Rogers. In fact, I worry about the team if he is starting. I believe I would rather Noll or Vollers be out there. Until I see something, that is. And of course, that's what preseason is all about.

I dont' worry in the least about Henson. If he figures it out, great. If not, see ya.
Old 08-12-2005, 12:24 AM   #15
dirno2000
Diamond Member

I declared Rogers a bust after last season but I've been hearing good things about him from the coach and the media. I also hear that Petiti is struggling, as you would expect a rookie to do. He's been backing up Flozell on the left side so he's going up against that speed deamon from Troy.
Old 08-12-2005, 04:26 AM   #16
alby
Guru

Our cb's are so good. Anthony Henry, Aaron Glenn, Terrance Newman.. Newman is the 3rd best rated cb on our team in Madden, crazy =]

Contact Me
Old 08-12-2005, 11:05 AM   #17
chumdawg
Guru

mavs413, I'm not worried about Bledsoe. I'm rather confident that he'll do just fine. If the guy has players around him, he can be a very effective player. The big problem in Buffalo was that after he had a terrific first year with them, they began to focus strictly on defense with their personnel acquisitions. Drew was hung out to dry, in a way. This will be a much different situation.

But yes, you're right. It will be fun to watch the front seven. I'm hoping they become monsters.
Old 08-12-2005, 02:25 PM   #18
chumdawg
Guru

Dirno, looks like you were right about Newman not taking any punts back this week. I forget who Bill said was going there (three different guys, I think), but he wasn't one of them.

QB rotation goes Bledsoe, Romo, Henson. Next week the bottom two switch.

Pettiti starts at right tackle (Bill said he's been doing well lately, for what that's worth), and Gurode starts at center (Bill needs to see how he can play there).

Jules should get seven or eight runs, maybe as many as ten.

Can't wait!
Old 08-12-2005, 02:37 PM   #19
dirno2000
Diamond Member

Quote:
Gurode starts at center (Bill needs to see how he can play there).
This really surprises me. Bill's going to play it like it's no big deal but it is. he's not sitting Allen to see what Peterman has. I hope it's a case of Gurode rising to the occasion and not Al Johnson regressing.
Old 08-19-2005, 12:10 AM   #20
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

DMN reporting Rogers is gone for the season.

Shit.
Old 08-19-2005, 12:14 AM   #21
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

Jerry: OT Rogers out for season

12:04 AM CDT on Friday, August 19, 2005

By JEAN-JACQUES TAYLOR /The Dallas Morning News

OXNARD, Calif. ā€“ Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said late Thursday that right tackle Jacob Rogers will miss the entire 2005 season with a knee injury.

"It's a shame that he's gone," Jones said. "It's a disappointment."

Rogers is scheduled to have surgery a week from today. Earlier in the day, coach Bill Parcells had said he wasn't sure about Rogers' future. Rogers, the front-runner to earn the job after the first week of camp, injured his knee Saturday night in a 13-11 loss to Arizona after just two plays.

An MRI on Sunday revealed no structural damage. On Monday, Parcells said the injury "isn't too serious." Now, Rogers needs surgery.

That leaves rookie Rob Petitti and three-year veteran Torrin Tucker as the leading candidates for the starting right tackle job, unless the Cowboys want to add a free agent such as 11-year veteran Scott Gragg.

The Cowboys spoke to Gragg's agent before the season and indicated they might have an interest in him at some point. Parcells thinks Kurt Vollers is more valuable as a backup than a starter because he can play both tackle positions.
Old 08-19-2005, 04:05 AM   #22
alby
Guru

damnit

Contact Me
Old 08-19-2005, 07:46 AM   #23
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all

not that bad of news. Now they will be forced to make a decision on who starts. I have a feeling Rogers was just going to string them along.
Old 08-19-2005, 02:31 PM   #24
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

Ninkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant future

allen to right tackle and find a new guard? more water-cooler talk..
Old 08-19-2005, 08:31 PM   #25
Drbio
Banned

If Torrin Tucker makes the team I will eat a turd. Man I hate that no talent scrub. Anyone know anything about Gragg?
Old 08-19-2005, 11:27 PM   #26
chumdawg
Guru

I don't know anything about Gragg (except that he's available), but if Tucker makes the team, it will be because he is the least of all the possible evils.

If Larry Allen was on the trading block for a #3 last year, I don't like Tucker's chances.

I really do think, though, that if they can stabilize the line they've got a chance to have a tremendous offense. I love the pieces that are in place. Man, I'm getting excited about this team.

I'm also excited about Tyson Thompson. He needs to show a little something on kick returns Monday night, but at this point I'd say that Thomas is in more danger of getting cut than Thompson is.
Old 08-20-2005, 02:05 AM   #27
alby
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: chumdawg
I don't know anything about Gragg (except that he's available), but if Tucker makes the team, it will be because he is the least of all the possible evils.

If Larry Allen was on the trading block for a #3 last year, I don't like Tucker's chances.

I really do think, though, that if they can stabilize the line they've got a chance to have a tremendous offense. I love the pieces that are in place. Man, I'm getting excited about this team.

I'm also excited about Tyson Thompson. He needs to show a little something on kick returns Monday night, but at this point I'd say that Thomas is in more danger of getting cut than Thompson is.
thats a big if there buddy, but i'm right with you on how good the other pieces of the puzzle are with this year's Cowboys..

edit:/ random question, would you trade for T.O.? If so, what would you give up?

Contact Me
Old 08-20-2005, 10:40 AM   #28
chumdawg
Guru

I wouldn't give them Patrick Crayton for TO. So I guess, no.

You?
Old 08-20-2005, 12:20 PM   #29
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

Ninkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant future

sure I'd trade any one of our 3rd stringers for him. then we could trade him to chicago for urlacher
Old 08-20-2005, 12:41 PM   #30
capitalcity
Diamond Member

I'd trade a hunk of Larry Allen's used up chaw and 8 cups of gatorade.
Old 08-20-2005, 10:29 PM   #31
chumdawg
Guru

I heard Derek Ross was arrested with twenty-five POUNDS of marijuana in his car. Dear Lord. If he had put his efforts into football and not being a loser in the game of life, he could have made way more money playing in the NFL than he could have dealing drugs.
Old 08-20-2005, 11:29 PM   #32
alby
Guru

Terrence Newman and Derek Ross was supposed to be our cbs of the future =(

Contact Me
Old 08-21-2005, 12:56 AM   #33
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all

Newman still is, I expect a probowl season from him or at least close to one.
#1MavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 01:06 AM   #34
alby
Guru

I do too. If we get reasonable pressure on the QB, this defense should finish in the top 5 IMO.

Contact Me
Old 08-21-2005, 02:39 AM   #35
chumdawg
Guru

Thomas Herrion, of Fort Worth, dies after a 49'ers game tonight. Very, very sad.
Old 08-21-2005, 10:24 AM   #36
alby
Guru

23 years old, so scary =[

Contact Me
Old 08-21-2005, 06:18 PM   #37
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all

Cundiff likely done as a Cowboy. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]
hip flexor, out 3-4 weeks, but it might last all season. Cowboys might not wait on him

dallascowboys.com

DMN
Old 08-21-2005, 08:52 PM   #38
chumdawg
Guru

Are you freakin' SERIOUS? He's on my d-m.com fantasy league! Off to the waiver wires I go...

I really liked Cundiff, too. Outside 40 yards he was nothing special. But inside 40 yards he was solid gold, baby.
Old 08-21-2005, 11:17 PM   #39
alby
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: chumdawg
Are you freakin' SERIOUS? He's on my d-m.com fantasy league! Off to the waiver wires I go...

I really liked Cundiff, too. Outside 40 yards he was nothing special. But inside 40 yards he was solid gold, baby.
ship it

Contact Me
Old 08-21-2005, 09:23 PM   #40
Drbio
Banned

The demise of chums team begins.

That 49ers story is just heartbreaking. That kid had a nice future.