Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 01-27-2006, 01:19 AM   #521
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3
If you can't throw it down, should he just go up for a layup and throw the ball off the glass as hard as he can? would that be strong enough for you?
Yea that's right, exactly.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-2006, 01:21 AM   #522
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Tell me...what exactly are you talking about when you say 'take it up strong'?
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 01:25 AM   #523
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

First in the west for a day.

And why can't Dirk rebound?
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 01:28 AM   #524
baldone

baldone is on a distinguished road

Not that you asked me, but taking it up stronger would involve aggresively initiating and absorbing contact, holding on to the ball as long as possible and then shooting. I agree Dirk would benefit from adding some upper body strength. I don't think that there's ever been a case where added muscle has adversely affected a shooter's touch.
baldone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 01:29 AM   #525
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Basically I would like to see him take it up to make the layup, dunk or get fouled trying. It appears to me that in some cases he feels the contact and doesn't continue to try and power through it. It may be because he doesn't have much upper body strength but it just appears that he will not challenge the shot blocker as much as others I've seen.

I don't think it's because he's afraid or anything like that, it's just a mindset and in general he's more of a finesse player, so he will finesse it.

He will try to go around them sometimes, try to lay it a little higher off the glass instead of a move that unless he gets fouled quite strong he will power through it.

Killer sort of does the same things sometimes as he tries to finesse a shot a little bit too much instead of trying to get to the rim.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 01-27-2006, 01:34 AM   #526
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldone
Not that you asked me, but taking it up stronger would involve aggresively initiating and absorbing contact, holding on to the ball as long as possible and then shooting. I agree Dirk would benefit from adding some upper body strength. I don't think that there's ever been a case where added muscle has adversely affected a shooter's touch.
An excellent way to describe it.
Old 01-27-2006, 01:43 AM   #527
Jet Terry

Jet Terry will become famous soon enough

I disagree. Shooting touch can be greatly hurt by weight lifting. Particular bulk.
Jet Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 02:06 AM   #528
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet Terry
I disagree. Shooting touch can be greatly hurt by weight lifting. Particular bulk.
Ask Alonzo Mourning.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 08:44 AM   #529
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

gasol takes it up strong.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 10:42 AM   #530
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike
Mavs by 7

Mavs 104
Seattle 97
cough

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 11:07 AM   #531
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

stupid aliens... =]

Contact Me
Old 01-27-2006, 11:30 AM   #532
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

So.... you aliens have figured out how to time-travel?

Okay, new rule: sike opens all GDT's. So if he refused to open one some day we know it's a loss.

Old 01-27-2006, 02:23 PM   #533
Jet Terry

Jet Terry will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby
gasol takes it up strong.
He doesn't have to worry about his outside shooting touch either. He is a slasher so strength would greatly help him.
Jet Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 07:09 PM   #534
dude1394
Guru

I don't think anyone is talking about dirk putting on a ton of bulk, just a little bit more.

But to be honest I don't think it's particularly muscle related, I think it's a mental pre-disposition.

Last edited by dude1394; 01-27-2006 at 07:09 PM.
Old 01-28-2006, 05:18 AM   #535
alby
Guru

exactly.

Contact Me