Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 08-12-2004, 02:33 PM   #1
Chef Ed

Chef Ed is on a distinguished road
Default Dampier, Dallas, and the Bobcats?

Lane Whitaker just told Fish on his show in Dallas that there is rumblings of a 3 team deal in the works with Dampier, Dallas and the Bobcats. Nothing set in stone, just a little rumur he uncovered.

This should start a whole new rash of suggestions.

As long as Dallas lowers it's roster numbers than anything is a positive....
Old 08-12-2004, 03:13 PM   #2
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future
Default RE: Dampier, Dallas, and the Bobcats?

I guess the Bobcats or the Mavs would be sending a TE to GS and the Bobcats would pick up some of the Mavs extra players and the Mavs would get Damp.
DubOverdose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 03:17 PM   #3
Finley4ever

Finley4ever is on a distinguished road

A trade like this works:
Dallas gets: Dampier
GS gets: a 1st from Dallas
Charlotte gets: Henderson and a 2nd from Dallas

Everyone gets what they wasnt, except Dallas doesn't lower its number of players.
Finley4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 03:24 PM   #4
Chef Ed

Default RE:Dampier, Dallas, and the Bobcats?

Finley question?

If the Maverick's couldn't lower the number of bodies on the roster then why wouldn't they just do a trade straight up for Dampier? Why would they involve the Bobcats in the first place?

I don't know enough about the CBA to get into trade scenarios and I never have. It makes me look more stupid than most of you think I already am, but with that said, it seems to me that a three way deal can only mean that the Mav's are doing something not only to get Dampier, but to reduce the roster as well.

Am I on the right track here, or am I missing something.
Old 08-12-2004, 03:29 PM   #5
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

This would be an ideal trade if we were going to get Dampier. Charlotte now realizes that they can't get squat from the FA market so are about to trade up for some people, probably players with expiring contracts.

I could see us giving up Wahad, Laettner, and/or Stackhouse, and would get Dampier. GS would probably get a TE from Charlotte.

BTW, shouldn't this be in the Trade forum?
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 03:30 PM   #6
V
Golden Member

V has a spectacular aura aboutV has a spectacular aura about

The Bob depth chart looks pretty depressing:

PG Jason Hart
SG Gerald Wallace
SF Jason Kapono
PF Melvin Ely
C Okafor

One could argue that's a nice THIRD rotation for a playoff team. Not exactly anything to get excited about. They desperately need someone reasonably priced who can put the ball in the bucket.

Would hometown scorer Jerry Stackhouse help to sell some tickets? ... He's easier to get than Vince Carter... and we know Stack can put up monster numbers on a bad team. Sounds like a fit to me.

"If there's no more questions, I've got a beer that needs consuming."
-- Don Nelson
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 03:33 PM   #7
Chef Ed

Not sure if it should be or not. I haven't been here long enough to know what goes where. It wasn't ment to be a trade post, just kinda letting you know what I was hearing on the show today. Lane was on talking about the Olympics and the fact he thought the roster was designed to sell jerseys rather than win the gold, and then out of the blue he threw that out for the taking. Just thought you would be interested.
Old 08-12-2004, 03:40 PM   #8
dirk2003

dirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to all

I have seen a few games that Dampier has played in for GS so I dont know too much about him. He would be the easiest solution for the mavs to get.

To me Dampier looks like a great rebounder with very little offense. His offensive game is similar to that of Ratliff's where he mainly dunks the ball and nothing else. This isn't bad though as it will give more shots to Dirk. How is Dampiers defense? Is he any kind of a shot blocking machine? If he cant bring physical defense then we should strongly persue THEO RATLIFF! We could have gotten Ratliff last year from ATL so easily... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]
Old 08-12-2004, 03:41 PM   #9
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

A more detailed version of the trade F4e suggested goes like this:
Dallas: gets Dampier (from GS)
GS gets: a first rounder from Dallas and a TE from Charlotte
Charlotte gets: Henderson, and probably some cash, both from Dallas. The second rounder might or might not be necessary to secure their cooperation.

If nobody stepped up to the plate with anything better for Dampier and the alternative was to lose him outright to Atlanta, you have to figure GS would have no problem accepting a future first and a sizeable (roughly 8 million dollar) TE; the TE is the reason why you include Charlotte, btw. Henderson will probably spend all next year on the IL, so insurance will pick up 80% of his salary. All Mark would have to do would be to throw in enough cash (and maybe the second rounder) to make it worth their while. If Dallas is interested in Damp and he's willing to sign a reasonable contract, it would be a win, win, win for all teams involved.

EDIT: forgot Charlotte has a reduced cap.
Old 08-12-2004, 03:41 PM   #10
V
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Chef Ed
Finley question?

If the Maverick's couldn't lower the number of bodies on the roster then why wouldn't they just do a trade straight up for Dampier? Why would they involve the Bobcats in the first place?

I don't know enough about the CBA to get into trade scenarios and I never have. It makes me look more stupid than most of you think I already am, but with that said, it seems to me that a three way deal can only mean that the Mav's are doing something not only to get Dampier, but to reduce the roster as well.

Briefly - Mavs give a player to Bob & get a trade exception in the amount of the salary given away (Bob can only take a player without giving a player back if they are under the cap... which they are.)

Next Mavs send the exception to GSW for Dampier. Dallas can assume salary equivalent to the TE. GSW gets nothing but they don't assume any payroll. To make the deal work the Mavs would have to throw in a pick ... and they may use an expiring contract and or $3.1 million TE they already have to lower GS's payroll further. In other words something like this might work:

Dallas send Stack to Bob for TE
Dallas sends TE (Stack) & pick for Dampier AND TE + pick for Esch

I don't like the Esch enticer .... but a stright "TE + pick" for Damp could get real ugly. Dependong on how much you value Dampier it could be worth it.

-- Don Nelson
Old 08-12-2004, 03:43 PM   #11
Finley4ever

Quote:

Golden State doesn't want to add salary because it could put them in the luxury tax, so they could simply let Dampier walk and save money. If we traded straight up with them, they would add more salary, which they wouldn't want. So Dallas gets Charlotte to take the salary and tips them with a draft pick and Golden State gets a 1st, which is more than they would get if they let him sign with Atlanta.
Old 08-12-2004, 03:44 PM   #12
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Was Stack exposed in the expansion draft? I agree that he would seem a good fit for the Bobcats.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 03:48 PM   #13
fin4life

fin4life is on a distinguished road

This all makes perfect sense. I think that charlotte would love to have stack so they could at least put points on the board(and he is reasonably affordable) and GS doesnt take back any salary while getting a 1st rounder for their time.

ALSO... it would make no sense to trade henderson to the bobcats because they dont need expiring contracts, they need players. I think that the deal would HAVE to be for stackhouse because to me that is the only player (with a contract similer to the one the DAMP wil get) that makes sense for them.
fin4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 04:16 PM   #14
uberfan
Golden Member

uberfan has a spectacular aura aboutuberfan has a spectacular aura about

But Bobs cannot trade a TE to Mavs. There has to be something coming back to Mavs (a second rounder, for example) and then they would get a TE.

Next, GS could S&T Dampier and trade him to Mavs for the Philly firs, as long as the Dampier salary was equal to the TE Mavs get in dealing with Bobcats. The TE is used up by Mavs. GS creates a new TE by trading Dampier to Mavs.
uberfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 04:36 PM   #15
fin4life

Quote:
Originally posted by: uberfan
But Bobs cannot trade a TE to Mavs. There has to be something coming back to Mavs (a second rounder, for example) and then they would get a TE.

Next, GS could S&T Dampier and trade him to Mavs for the Philly firs, as long as the Dampier salary was equal to the TE Mavs get in dealing with Bobcats. The TE is used up by Mavs. GS creates a new TE by trading Dampier to Mavs.
Ok, thats fine. I think that charlotte would throw in a second rounder to make this deal work

Charlotte recieves: Stackhouse
Dallas Recieves: Dampier (with a contract starting a 7mil/year)
GS recieves: TE, Dallas' 1st round pick (from Philly), Second round pick (from Charlotte)

I think that it helps every teams involved so i would say that this deal is likely. The mavs lineup would be...

Terry/Harris/AJ/Steff
Quis/Howard
Fin/Najera/TAW
Dirk/L8/Henderson
Damp/Brad/Booth/Benga/PPod

That is all of our 17 players... with damp in place i think that booth becomes expendable and L8/Henderson can be traded for their expiring contracts (hopefully)
Old 08-12-2004, 04:39 PM   #16
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: uberfan

One thing to look into (and I haven't) is which second rounders the Bobcats gave up in the LAC deal. They may not have a second-rounder to give up for a while (not that the Mavs would care if it was a 2010 pick).

This deal makes a lot of sense for all involved. Charlotte gets a scorer to help carry the load for the first couple of years. Golden State gets a first rounder for nothing. Dallas gets Dampier and clears up the logjam at 2/3 in the same move.

Also, you could look at it as Dallas getting Terry, Dampier, and Henderson for Walker, Delk and Stackhouse. That's a very nice trade.

Old 08-12-2004, 05:01 PM   #17
fin4life

The following trades are all trade that are made for the purpose of trimming the roster. The mavs might lose talent... but they have no choice because they need to get their roster down. NOTE: THESE TRADES ASSUME THAT WE TRADE DAMPIER FOR STACKHOUSE SO WE COULD AFFORD TO LOSE A CENTER/PF.

1st trade:
Dallas trades: PF Alan Henderson (4.0 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 0.3 apg in 11.3 minutes)
PF Christian Laettner (5.9 ppg, 4.8 rpg, 1.9 apg in 20.5 minutes)
C Calvin Booth (4.9 ppg, 3.9 rpg, 0.4 apg in 17.0 minutes)
SF Josh Howard (8.6 ppg, 5.5 rpg, 1.5 apg in 23.7 minutes)
Dallas receives: SF Keith Van Horn (16.1 ppg, 7.0 rpg, 1.7 apg in 32.5 minutes)
SF Desmond Mason (14.4 ppg, 4.4 rpg, 1.9 apg in 30.9 minutes)
Change in team outlook: +7.1 ppg, -6.3 rpg, and -0.5 apg.

Milwaukee trades: SF Keith Van Horn (16.1 ppg, 7.0 rpg, 1.7 apg in 32.5 minutes)
SF Desmond Mason (14.4 ppg, 4.4 rpg, 1.9 apg in 30.9 minutes)
Milwaukee receives: PF Alan Henderson (4.0 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 0.3 apg in 6 games)
PF Christian Laettner (5.9 ppg, 4.8 rpg, 1.9 apg in 48 games)
C Calvin Booth (4.9 ppg, 3.9 rpg, 0.4 apg in 71 games)
SF Josh Howard (8.6 ppg, 5.5 rpg, 1.5 apg in 67 games)
Change in team outlook: -7.1 ppg, +6.3 rpg, and +0.5 apg

2nd Trade:
Dallas trades: SF Josh Howard (8.6 ppg, 5.5 rpg, 1.5 apg in 23.7 minutes)
PF Alan Henderson (4.0 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 0.3 apg in 11.3 minutes)
PF Tariq Abdul-Wahad (4.0 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 0.3 apg in 11.3 minutes)
Dallas receives: SG Jalen Rose (15.5 ppg, 4.0 rpg, 5.0 apg in 37.9 minutes)
Change in team outlook: +2.9 ppg, -5.0 rpg, and +3.2 apg.

Toronto trades: SG Jalen Rose (15.5 ppg, 4.0 rpg, 5.0 apg in 37.9 minutes)
Toronto receives: SF Josh Howard (8.6 ppg, 5.5 rpg, 1.5 apg in 67 games)
PF Alan Henderson (4.0 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 0.3 apg in 6 games)
PF Tariq Abdul-Wahad (4.0 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 0.3 apg in 6 games)
Change in team outlook: -2.9 ppg, +5.0 rpg, and -3.2 apg.

3rd Trade:
Dallas trades: Jon Stefansson ( ppg, rpg, apg in minutes)
Dallas receives: SG Anfernee Hardaway (9.2 ppg, 3.8 rpg, 2.3 apg in 27.6 minutes)
Change in team outlook: -0.7 ppg, -4.5 rpg, and +0.1 apg.

New York trades: SG Anfernee Hardaway (9.2 ppg, 3.8 rpg, 2.3 apg in 27.6 minutes)
New York receives: Jon Stefansson ( ppg, rpg, apg in games)
PF Alan Henderson (4.0 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 0.3 apg in 6 games)
PF Christian Laettner (5.9 ppg, 4.8 rpg, 1.9 apg in 48 games)
Change in team outlook: +0.7 ppg, +4.5 rpg, and -0.1 apg.

All trades involve our expiring contracts as a reason for the other team to accept the trade. Also, all the teams have less than 12 players.
Old 08-12-2004, 05:15 PM   #18
SeriousSummer
Golden Member

SeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant future

Dallas trades: PF Christian Laettner (5.9 ppg, 4.8 rpg, 1.9 apg in 20.5 minutes)
SF Eduardo Najera (3.0 ppg, 2.7 rpg, 0.4 apg in 12.4 minutes)
SF Tariq Abdul-Wahad (3.0 ppg, 2.7 rpg, 0.4 apg in 12.4 minutes)
Change in team outlook: -31.5 ppg, -15.5 rpg, and -5.5 apg.

For a No. 1 Draft Pick of the L.A. Clippers--They've got the cap room and need some players, probably would like Laettner and Henderson because they are players with expiring contracts; Najera's cheap and probably wouldn't hurt with the Latino population in L.A. TAW is who we try to pawn off on L.A. as part of the deal--if they want to keep him on the injured reserve list, then he's almost cost free.

This works with almost any combination of players--so the key is to trade the least talent and most in salaries you can get the Clippers to accept.

Change in team outlook: 0.0 ppg, 0.0 rpg, and 0.0 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED

SeriousSummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 05:16 PM   #19
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

I listen to the sports radio every now and then, but refresh my memory....who are Lane Whitaker or The Fish? (yeah I'm having a long brain fart today)

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 05:19 PM   #20
Poindexter Einstein
Golden Member

Poindexter Einstein will become famous soon enough

Dampier may come to Dallas, but those trades all violate cap and trade rules. Find another way.

MILW to trade Mason for "misc"? Wont happen.
DAL to trade Howard for "misc"? Wont happen.
DAL to trade "all exp deals" for long-term junk? Wont happen.
Poindexter Einstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 05:34 PM   #21
V
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: DevinHarriswillstart
I listen to the sports radio every now and then, but refresh my memory....who are Lane Whitaker or The Fish? (yeah I'm having a long brain fart today)
Lang Whitaker is from SLAM magazine.

Fish is the db.com guy. He also has a radio show from noon - 3:00 on 990 am

-- Don Nelson
Old 08-12-2004, 05:58 PM   #22
fin4life

Quote:
Originally posted by: SeriousSummer
Dallas trades: PF Christian Laettner (5.9 ppg, 4.8 rpg, 1.9 apg in 20.5 minutes)
SF Eduardo Najera (3.0 ppg, 2.7 rpg, 0.4 apg in 12.4 minutes)
SF Tariq Abdul-Wahad (3.0 ppg, 2.7 rpg, 0.4 apg in 12.4 minutes)
Change in team outlook: -31.5 ppg, -15.5 rpg, and -5.5 apg.

For a No. 1 Draft Pick of the L.A. Clippers--They've got the cap room and need some players, probably would like Laettner and Henderson because they are players with expiring contracts; Najera's cheap and probably wouldn't hurt with the Latino population in L.A. TAW is who we try to pawn off on L.A. as part of the deal--if they want to keep him on the injured reserve list, then he's almost cost free.

This works with almost any combination of players--so the key is to trade the least talent and most in salaries you can get the Clippers to accept.

TRADE ACCEPTED
I dont want to trade all or oue backup PFs...unless i recieved one. I dont want the often injured booth to be our only bcakup PF (and he is also a cener). Did anyone know that he has played less than 200 games in his 5 years in the leauge (that is a possible 410 games)
Old 08-12-2004, 06:44 PM   #23
SeriousSummer
Golden Member

SeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant future

Then keep Eddie, and ship the Clippers Booth or Bradley or Stackhouse. Or keep Laettner if you prefer. The deal works with anything less than about 25 million in salaries.
SeriousSummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 07:14 PM   #24
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

If it's just Stackhouse to the Cats, why hasnt it happened already?
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 07:40 PM   #25
fin4life

Quote:
Originally posted by: EricaLubarsky
If it's just Stackhouse to the Cats, why hasnt it happened already?
It is a new rumer, so maybe it has just began to be discussed. It can take days or even weeks for three teams to agree to terms on a single trade. For all we know, more players could be involved or there are cash debates. Also, It might take a while for the mavs to find the right amount of money to pay damp... talking to an agent about a contract can take forever (I bet the the mavs want a short deal and Damp wants a long one).
Old 08-12-2004, 08:31 PM   #26
uberfan
Golden Member

uberfan has a spectacular aura aboutuberfan has a spectacular aura about

Wasn't there some story about Dampier's agent being on vacation and due back at the end of this week? I have lost track of time. Maybe he is already back. Just looking for a reason as to why this may not have been done yet if it's true.

Look how long it took to get the J.Crawford to Knicks deal done.
uberfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 09:05 PM   #27
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Stackhouse and TAW to Charlotte would work. We can throw in cash considerations to pay for TAW's first year salary. That would give us a large TE, and we could overpay Dampier but collect him for only 2 years. Maybe Damp would come down on length of contract if he got lots of money, because although I am a Dampier lover, I don't want him to overshadow the development of the young guys.

We would throw the large TE at Golden State with the first rounder from Atlanta as well as possibly one of our first rounders for Damp. We could then buyout Laettner and we would be down to 15. We'd still need to find a spot for Avery, but we could drop someone like Henderson or Najera on LAC.
Old 08-12-2004, 09:22 PM   #28
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

I like it.

Dampier/Booth/Bradley
Dirk/Najera
Daniels/Howard
Finley/Steffanson
Terry/Harris

The move opens up more minutes for howard, finley and daniels. Dampier in the new look west could be the second best man in the pivot.

jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 09:32 PM   #29
Finley4ever

The problem with your scenario, Erica, is that Charlotte doesn't have the cap room to absorb both of their contracts. RealGM is wrong I believe (maybe they didn't account for Charlotte's smaller cap?) and the Bobcats only have about $6 million in cap space according to Hoopshype. In fact, I don't think that the original trade I proposed works either.
Old 08-12-2004, 09:33 PM   #30
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

now that I look at it, RealGM may not even quantify how much under the cap teams are.

Dallas trades: SG Michael Finley (18.6 ppg, 4.5 rpg, 2.9 apg in 38.6 minutes)
C Calvin Booth (4.9 ppg, 3.9 rpg, 0.4 apg in 17.0 minutes)
SG Marquis Daniels (8.5 ppg, 2.6 rpg, 2.1 apg in 18.5 minutes)
PF Dirk Nowitzki (21.8 ppg, 8.7 rpg, 2.7 apg in 37.9 minutes)
SF Jerry Stackhouse (13.9 ppg, 3.6 rpg, 4.0 apg in 29.8 minutes)
PF Tariq Abdul-Wahad (5.9 ppg, 4.8 rpg, 1.9 apg in 20.5 minutes)
Change in team outlook: -73.6 ppg, -28.1 rpg, and -14.0 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED

Old 08-12-2004, 09:41 PM   #31
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

going with the salary cap of $43.84 million, it looks like Charlotte can take on about 7.5million. That isnt enough to even take Stackhouse eh? They are only able to take someone in the Shawn Bradley/Eddie Najera range if I'm right.

Im really hesitant to talk salary cap because I know about nothing about it.
Old 08-12-2004, 09:44 PM   #32
akaarod03

akaarod03 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
going with the salary cap of $43.84 million, it looks like Charlotte can take on about 7.5million. That isnt enough to even take Stackhouse eh? They are only able to take someone in the Shawn Bradley/Eddie Najera range.
EL...Stackhouse is slated to make 7 million next year...so he would still qualify as a player that Charlotte could take on without going over the cap.
akaarod03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 09:48 PM   #33
fin4life

Quote:
Originally posted by: Finley4ever
The problem with your scenario, Erica, is that Charlotte doesn't have the cap room to absorb both of their contracts. RealGM is wrong I believe (maybe they didn't account for Charlotte's smaller cap?) and the Bobcats only have about $6 million in cap space according to Hoopshype. In fact, I don't think that the original trade I proposed works either.
Well, maybe if charlotte has some bad player that make little money (that they dont want) that only has one year garunteed, he could replace the 2nd rounder in the deal. Lets say he has 620,000 in his 1st year salary, combine that with the 6 mil. that they have in cap space + 100,000 and 15%....that would be enough to cover stackhouse's salary. That player could be sent to GS and they wouldn't care because we would give them 3 times the amount of the salary in cash. I know it is a stretch... but it could make the original deal work...

dallas gives up- stack, 1.5mil to GS, 1.5mil to Char
Charlotte gives up- the last of their cap room, bad player (theron smith, omar cook, or Brandon Hunter)
GS gives up- Damp

Dallas gets Damp, Charlotte gets Stack + Cash, GS gets TE +Cash+player (and only keep him for one year then take his small cap relief)

I hope everyone understood this all.
Old 08-12-2004, 09:53 PM   #34
fin4life

Quote:
going with the salary cap of $43.84 million, it looks like Charlotte can take on about 7.5million. That isnt enough to even take Stackhouse eh? They are only able to take someone in the Shawn Bradley/Eddie Najera range if I'm right.

Im really hesitant to talk salary cap because I know about nothing about it.
An expansion team has a smaller cap. They are reported to only have roughly 6mil left. That is why my complex scenerio needs to take place.
Old 08-12-2004, 10:00 PM   #35
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future

Couldn't the Mavs trade a 2nd rounder and part of their ATL TE for a player the Bobcats don't want afterall, thus freeing up cap space allowing the Bobcats to absorb Stack's contract and stay under the cap, then allowing this deal to work?
DubOverdose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 10:11 PM   #36
fin4life

Quote:
Originally posted by: DubOverdose
Couldn't the Mavs trade a 2nd rounder and part of their ATL TE for a player the Bobcats don't want afterall, thus freeing up cap space allowing the Bobcats to absorb Stack's contract and stay under the cap, then allowing this deal to work?
the way that i suggested that has the bobcats getting rid of one of their bad players and giving them to GS is better because the mavs dont have to add a player. Roster spots are very hard to clear on the mavs... we dont need to waste one on a spare 2nd rounder thatwill never see the court. All charlotte has to do is decide which player os most worthless, and chose the worst one to give to GS. His meager salary wont be enough to push the warriors into the luxury tax.

The only differences between my suggestion and yours are:
1. The mavs dont have to take a player
2. Bobcats dont get dallas' second rounder (which wouldnt make sense because they would have to send a second rounder to make the deal work with GS because they can trade for only a TE)
Old 08-13-2004, 12:58 AM   #37
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

What about Laettner and Stef to Charlotte. I can't tell if I need a moon by that.
Old 08-13-2004, 07:44 AM   #38
fin4life

Well we wouldnt send L8 and steff Because they dont need L8 and steff... they need stackhouse.
Old 08-13-2004, 08:11 AM   #39
Stressboy

Stressboy is a jewel in the roughStressboy is a jewel in the roughStressboy is a jewel in the rough

Stackhouse makes the most sense and I don't see why the Bobcats would not have to give a 1st round pick(they have a future Toronto and Cleveland) to get him. They are getting a really good player who is a NC kid. If we throw in 3mil, they just cut Jahiadi White (they got 3mil from Pheonix and 3 mil from us would make them a profit.) That would still leave them about 4 mil under their 30mil cap. GS would get two heavily cap protected picks for Dampier, but no salary.

Makes sense, but since that would only involve 1 player from Dallas, then it could happen at any time, and since it has not, we can only hope that it is taking a while to work out the details or We are moving multiple players. If for instance we were to take on Esch and give up Stackhouse to get Dampier, then GS would have to take on Laettner for instance and if we take on Esch, then GS would only get 1 1st rounder.

Stackhouse/Laettner/pilly 1st/3mil for Dampier/Esch/cleveland first
Bobcats get Stackhouse/3mil for clevelands 1st
GS gets Lattener/philly 1st and save about 10mil over next 3 years.

Stressboy
Stressboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 09:52 AM   #40
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

Backup center still in Cavaliers' sight

Bob Finnan Staff Writer 08/13/2004

Team, league waiting on Dampier

The entire NBA seems to be on hold until Erick Dampier makes up his mind.
The unrestricted free agent center is negotiating with several teams in the league. But until he lands somewhere, none of the other big men seem to be going anywhere, either. Teams vying for Dampier include Atlanta, Memphis, Indiana and New York.
Even though the Cavaliers are not entered in the Dampier sweepstakes, they seem to be locked in an impasse until he finds a home. One source said Dampier might sign a one-year deal for the mid-level exception this summer and become a free agent next summer.
According to a league source, the Cavaliers have targeted Iakovos Jake Tsakalidis to be their backup center behind starter Zydrunas Ilgauskas.
The 7-foot-2, 285-pounder is a restricted free agent. The Grizzlies hold his rights, but would like to use him and power forward Stromile Swift, another restricted free agent, in a sign-and-trade with Golden State for Dampier.
Memphis president Jerry West is hoarding players like chess pieces. He has 16 guaranteed contracts now, not counting Tsakalidis and Swift. West can't keep more than 15 on the roster once the season starts.
The source said the Cavaliers don't appear to be in any hurry to sign a backup center. They are willing to let the scenario play out with the Grizzlies. If Memphis can't get anything done or decide he's not in its plans, there's a remote possibility it could drop the restricted designation on Tsakalidis.
Another restricted free agent available is Atlanta's Joel Przybilla (7-1, 255), but he's been injury prone in his career.
One center that can be had in a trade is Indiana's Scot Pollard (6-11, 265), although Atlanta is also interested in trading for him. He has two years and almost $12 million remaining on his contract, which might scare off the Cavaliers. Indiana might be so willing to dump Pollard's salary that it would take back a draft pick and money for his services.
Cleveland has about $4 million remaining on its mid-level exception this summer. The Cavaliers had some interest in Tsakalidis in the 2000 draft, but were scared off by a contract snafu with his team in Greece (A.E.K.). He ended up being drafted 25th overall to Phoenix.
Tsakalidis, from the Republic of Georgia, could demand a contract in the neighborhood of $2 million or $3 million this season.
Tsakalidis, 25, is one of the strongest players in the league. With Shaquille O'Neal coming to the Eastern Conference this season, he'd be a welcomed addition to the team. However, he's very limited offensively.
The Cavaliers supposedly don't want to take on any long-term, hefty contracts so they'll have salary-cap flexibility next summer.
They could also sign a veteran center like Sean Rooks or Corie Blount, if they choose to go the cheap route.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote