Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 06-18-2014, 08:49 PM   #201
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

Just saw X-Men DOFP - quicksilver was awesome. His outfit was indeed ridiculous, but he was great.

As for the rest of the movie - good effects, I was entertained enough, but ultimately just OK to me.

And I know it's a comic movie, so who cares ultimately, but a girl who can walk through walls now has the ability to send someone's consciousness back through time? Why not have prof x be the one to do it? That wouldn't be so much of a stretch.

Nowhere near as good as Winter Soldier IMO. And nowhere near how awesome Guardians of the Galaxy will be (pure conjecture).

Last edited by Big Boy Laroux; 06-18-2014 at 08:52 PM.
Big Boy Laroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-2014, 12:17 AM   #202
Kirobaito
Platinum Member

Kirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
Edge of Tomorrow was actually really good and interesting and I don't even like Cruise. I'd recommend it.
Agree. Saw it tonight. Funny and engaging, with really good performances from Cruise and Blunt.
Old 06-19-2014, 08:57 AM   #203
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

I actually had no interest in even seeing Edge of Tomorrow based on the previews. But my wife wanted to see it and the reviews were really good.

And I thought it was really, really good. Very pleasantly surprised.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 12:28 PM   #204
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux View Post
Just saw X-Men DOFP - quicksilver was awesome. His outfit was indeed ridiculous, but he was great.

As for the rest of the movie - good effects, I was entertained enough, but ultimately just OK to me.

And I know it's a comic movie, so who cares ultimately, but a girl who can walk through walls now has the ability to send someone's consciousness back through time? Why not have prof x be the one to do it? That wouldn't be so much of a stretch.

Nowhere near as good as Winter Soldier IMO. And nowhere near how awesome Guardians of the Galaxy will be (pure conjecture).
My biggest problem with the movie is that the modern-day cast (who I hate) had action, but ultimately didn't do anything and it didn't make a whole lotta sense (like Kitty Pryde teleporting brain function back in time)

The 60s/70s cast I like a lot, but nothing really felt like it was happening-- no conflict, just one small thing happening after another. Some cool scenes, but after the break-out, it just slowed to a crawl.

Then the resolution that the whole movie fought for was returning the whole universe of the first three, awful xmen movies?

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 06-19-2014 at 12:36 PM.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 09:09 PM   #205
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

Just saw Edge of Tomorrow - that was a damn good movie. Very entertaining.
Old 06-19-2014, 09:35 PM   #206
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Quote:

Then the resolution that the whole movie fought for was returning the whole universe of the first three, awful xmen movies?
well, the next Film (Apocalypse) is going to be set in the 80s (so I've read), so I'm assuming it will keep the Fassbender/McAvoy cast.

And hey, I liked X1 and X2. X3 however - garbage.
Old 06-19-2014, 09:38 PM   #207
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
well, the next Film (Apocalypse) is going to be set in the 80s (so I've read), so I'm assuming it will keep the Fassbender/McAvoy cast.

And hey, I liked X1 and X2. X3 however - garbage.
I think X3 did a "Days of Future Past" on me and erased my memory of any good from the first two.
Old 07-11-2014, 11:51 AM   #208
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pE9v...xXovd_00k06r15

So apparently a bunch of people got an invite to see footage of the movie (about 20 minutes), and so far it's all rave reviews. Getting so excited for this movie!

Last edited by Big Boy Laroux; 07-11-2014 at 12:24 PM.
Old 08-01-2014, 09:13 AM   #209
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

I saw the 7 o clock Thursday opening of GOTG in IMAX last night. Now I start this out by saying that I'm not a huge fan of Marvel movies and find many of them to be mediocre to boring. This one finally sheds some light, color, and fun into the genre. Not a great movie, but as far as mindless popcorn movies go, it is one of the best of the year. If you remember the old computer game Space Quest or can have fun watching Buckaroo Bonzai, then this is the movie for you. Pretty much a collaboration of every B genre sci-fi movie/game/show ever made.

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 10:45 AM   #210
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
I saw the 7 o clock Thursday opening of GOTG in IMAX last night. Now I start this out by saying that I'm not a huge fan of Marvel movies and find many of them to be mediocre to boring. This one finally sheds some light, color, and fun into the genre. Not a great movie, but as far as mindless popcorn movies go, it is one of the best of the year. If you remember the old computer game Space Quest or can have fun watching Buckaroo Bonzai, then this is the movie for you. Pretty much a collaboration of every B genre sci-fi movie/game/show ever made.
Pretty much sums up the Guardians of the Galaxy comics I read as a kid so count me excited.
Old 08-03-2014, 07:03 PM   #211
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up

Guardians of the Galaxy was pretty fantastic.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 12:16 AM   #212
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Definitely seeing it this week. Bummed I haven't had a chance to see it yet!
Old 08-06-2014, 05:28 PM   #213
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

already seen Guardians twice. and liked it better on the second viewing... always a good sign. I compare it to The Avengers in that, while it may not be a great film, it is loads of fun. I just smiled the entire time.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 05:55 PM   #214
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike View Post
already seen Guardians twice. and liked it better on the second viewing... always a good sign. I compare it to The Avengers in that, while it may not be a great film, it is loads of fun. I just smiled the entire time.
I actually enjoyed it more than the Avengers, but I'm more into the science fiction aspect of Guardians.

Old 08-07-2014, 12:15 AM   #215
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Yeah, this may be my favorite marvel movie now, loved EVERY. SINGLE. SECOND of it. just so well done on every level.

i'd rank my top 3 as

GOTG
CA:TWS
Avengers

Saw GOTG in IMAX 3D tonight, the 3D was actually VERY good.
Old 08-07-2014, 08:36 AM   #216
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yeah, this may be my favorite marvel movie now, loved EVERY. SINGLE. SECOND of it. just so well done on every level.

i'd rank my top 3 as

GOTG
CA:TWS
Avengers

Saw GOTG in IMAX 3D tonight, the 3D was actually VERY good.
That's my top-3 as well, although I rank Captain America 2 higher because I've always been more into the grimdark, Nolanesque comic book movies... So having GOTG and Avengers at the top of my list says a lot:

Captain America: The Winter Soldier
Guardians of the Galaxy
The Avengers
Captain America: The First Avenger
Thor
Iron Man
Iron Man 3
Thor: The Dark World
The Incredible Hulk
Iron Man 2

I'm currently rocking that sweet-ass GOTG soundtrack in my car too - "I'm Not In Love" by 10cc is the jam that keeps me sane on my commute.

Last edited by Underdog; 08-07-2014 at 08:41 AM.
Old 08-07-2014, 08:52 AM   #217
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

My Marvel Studios movie rankings:
  1. Guardians
  2. Iron Man
  3. The Avengers
  4. Captain America: The First Avenger
  5. The Incredible Hulk
  6. Thor
  7. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
  8. Iron Man 3
  9. Thor: The Dark World
  10. Iron Man 2
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 08:55 AM   #218
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
My Marvel Studios movie rankings:
  1. Guardians
  2. Iron Man
  3. The Avengers
  4. Captain America: The First Avenger
  5. The Incredible Hulk
  6. Thor
  7. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
  8. Iron Man 3
  9. Thor: The Dark World
  10. Iron Man 2
Yeah, I think Iron Man 2 ranking dead last on a MCU list is probably the one thing everybody can agree on.

Old 08-07-2014, 10:26 AM   #219
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Would probably go with:
1. Captain America: The First Avenger
2. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
3. Avengers
4. Thor
5. Thor 2
6. The Incredible Hulk
7. Iron Man
8. Iron Man 3
9. Iron Man 2

Haven't seen Guardians yet.

Last edited by Murphy3; 08-07-2014 at 10:26 AM.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 06:44 AM   #220
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Saw Ninja Turtles last night - maybe it was the nostalgia, maybe it was my super low expectations, but I actually enjoyed it. Not a great movie by any means, but the CGI was practically flawless, and I actually liked the character design of the turtles. Action was good, too, and some funny lines throughout.

Now, the plot left a lot to be desired, and Shredder was one of the least developed bad guys in the history of movies (not to mention a HORRIBLE costume).

Anyway, worth seeing IMO.
Old 09-02-2014, 11:36 AM   #221
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

I enjoyed it quite a bit as well. Liked that Rafael looked like he was on steroids..
Old 10-03-2014, 01:17 AM   #222
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

Went to an 8PM showing of Gone Girl... best movie of the year so far. My advice: either read the whole book first, or go in as completely blind as possible. Do not read any spoilers first. It will ruin the experience.
Old 10-04-2014, 10:18 AM   #223
Murphy3
Guru

Ben Affleck... liberal idiot.. I'll probably skip it.
Old 10-04-2014, 12:48 PM   #224
spreedom
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3 View Post
Ben Affleck... liberal idiot.. I'll probably skip it.
Old 10-15-2014, 10:47 PM   #225
Murphy3
Guru

Actually went to see Gone Girl.. date wanted to see it. Well, I must say, it was a very good movie for the first hour and a half or so. But, the last 45 minutes or so were laughably bad.
Old 10-16-2014, 05:36 PM   #226
spreedom
Diamond Member

My perspective on the movie is a lot different from yours because I read the book beforehand, but I understand why someone going in blindly (more or less) would think that. I loved the book and thought the movie was just about as close to perfect as it could be. But again, I was probably signing up for a different movie than you were.
Old 10-16-2014, 07:30 PM   #227
Murphy3
Guru

Well, I don't want to give anything want to watch the movie, but basically, it was so unrealistic from one point of the movie to the end that it was just about unwatchable. There was a lot of stunned silence around me in the theater..mostly people saying "what the hell?" to the final 30-45 minutes. There are a couple of scenes that are just laughably bad.
Old 10-16-2014, 08:50 PM   #228
spreedom
Diamond Member

I totally understand people having that opinion.
Old 01-04-2015, 10:31 AM   #229
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

The Babadook was a worthy watch if you're into horrors.

Old 01-04-2015, 11:44 AM   #230
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
The Babadook was a worthy watch if you're into horrors.
Best review I ever heard for that movie is "the best movie you'll only want to watch once." I thought it was really good. Really creepy in that real, psychological way. It didn't need ump scares or practical effect gore. Just psychological horror. Very good stuff. My husband freaks me out by groaning "Baba DOOK DOOK DOOK" when I'm trying to get to sleep. Puts shivers up my spine every time.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 01-04-2015 at 11:45 AM.
Old 01-04-2015, 01:43 PM   #231
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Best review I ever heard for that movie is "the best movie you'll only want to watch once." I thought it was really good. Really creepy in that real, psychological way. It didn't need ump scares or practical effect gore. Just psychological horror. Very good stuff. My husband freaks me out by groaning "Baba DOOK DOOK DOOK" when I'm trying to get to sleep. Puts shivers up my spine every time.
I didn't really find it that scary, but the kid with behavioral problems...yikes.

Old 01-04-2015, 02:01 PM   #232
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Marion killing us.
Old 01-04-2015, 02:01 PM   #233
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Ohhhh he went up before he was fouled.
Old 01-04-2015, 02:03 PM   #234
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Two AWFUL home cooking calls to end the half.
Old 01-04-2015, 02:03 PM   #235
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Oops, wrong forum
Old 01-05-2015, 05:13 PM   #236
Murphy3
Guru

Saw a few movies recently...
Definitely enjoyed Wild.
Also, saw Nightcrawler with Jake Gyllenhaal. He has been phenomenal as of late. This movie was no exception. Both significantly better than Gone Girl.
Old 01-05-2015, 05:28 PM   #237
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

The Imitation Game was awesome. Highly recommended.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 05:53 PM   #238
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Saw Big Hero 6 with my son - I liked it - the non-pixar Disney animated major features have been pretty good lately (Tangled, Wreck-it Ralph, Frozen (yes, we're all sick of the songs, but it was actually a decent movie), Big Hero 6).

Last edited by Big Boy Laroux; 01-05-2015 at 05:54 PM.
Old 01-05-2015, 05:55 PM   #239
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Saw Big Hero 6 with my son - I liked it - Disney's animated features have been pretty good lately (Tangled, Wreck-it Ralph, Frozen (yes, we're all sick of the songs, but it was actually a decent movie), Big Hero 6).
Yeah, meant to see it in theaters, but actually looked good and I have no problem seeing kids movies if they look interesting.

Lego Movie was awesome and I meant to see Box Trolls and Big Hero 6 but missed them in theaters. I'll definitely check out both on video, though.
Old 01-05-2015, 08:06 PM   #240
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Nightcrawler is an extremely rare anomaly in that it was a good movie whilst having a very unlikable protagonist and really nobody to root for.