Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 01-20-2012, 03:42 PM   #2001
oilfieldtrash
Golden Member

oilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman View Post
Roddy played his best game in like 21 months today
That is the most awesome gif ever. I watch it Everytime I see you post.
oilfieldtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-2012, 06:19 PM   #2002
deamon
Golden Member

deamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these parts

Carlisle should give Roddy 40 min against NOH, rest Kidd.
Old 01-21-2012, 12:02 PM   #2003
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Carlisle is spot on and he's doing roddy a favor.
http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/dal...competitor.ece

"On what he’s focused on with Beaubois in practice:
That’s part of the quandary. That’s one of the issues with Roddy is that the perception of him as an entertainer versus the reality of him as a competitor. What we need is Roddy the competitor, and what you guys love is Roddy the entertainer. What wins is Roddy the competitor. He’s made strides. … His general sort of nature as a guy, he’s a very nice kid, he’s a laid back kid, but you can’t be nice and laid back when you’re playing in the NBA. Last night [against Utah], he played nasty. He was into it with Earl Watson and all those guys. He was up all into their crap and he played the heck out of it. So finding that edge and being able to ignite that edge on a nightly basis, that’s what it’s all about. Do I believe he can do it? Absolutely. The other thing that’s helping is that his teammates are helping reinforce this by getting on him when he doesn’t do it and by praising him when he does. We wouldn’t have won that game last night without him, I think that’s pretty clear. But we need him to do that every game. He can do it and I believe he’s on a track to be more and more consistent."
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’

Last edited by dude1394; 01-21-2012 at 12:02 PM.
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 12:08 PM   #2004
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

From the dirkster ( not Carlisle )
http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/dal...ning-point.ece

NEW ORLEANS — The tease, as Dirk Nowitzki likes to call it, is on again.
Roddy Beaubois came up with 17 stunning points Thursday in Utah. Stunning because he had just two points in the game before and didn’t even play in the one before that.

But against the Jazz, the third-year guard’s production was meaningful in a game that was not over until he helped decide it in the fourth quarter. This was a game the Mavericks desperately needed. And it became apparent that Nowitzki was not going to carry them.

“He keeps teasing us,” Nowitzki said. “That’s definitely the Roddy we want to see. We don’t want him to go sideways on pick-and-rolls and just chuck up 3s.
“We want him to attack, get in the lane and make plays for himself and others. He’s got all the skills in the world. He’s got to play a smart game and use them.”
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 01-21-2012, 12:17 PM   #2005
j0Shi
Diamond Member

j0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond repute

Carlisle certainly knows what he's doing. Some people (and I willingly add myself to this list) tend to forget.

I disagree though that the run in the 1st was on Roddy unless he was supposed to go under. The guys he was guarding scored at will because he ran into well set picks and our bigs didn't switch at all. Maybe that was part of the gameplan but then it's misconception.

I'm very excited to have Rubio in the AAC on Wednesday. Roddy and Rubio are two similar players, equal height, equal wingspan, both good defenders, have struggles with their shot at times. The only difference is that Rubio played the point his whole life, Roddy hasn't.
j0Shi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 02:56 PM   #2006
Budapest Maverick
Platinum Member

Budapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant future

joshi: I don't see it, sorry. Roddy is 6'2, or more like 6'1, and a half inch maybe, Rubio is a legit 6'4 player, and just sooooo much smarter, with a much better handle, and an infinitely better passer. Roddy blows him out of the water as a scorer, and shooter though. Rubio is also playing "all-defense first team" D in the last couple of games. Just an amazing player, really, if he could shoot better, he would be the best prospect since James. Even without an elite touch, i fully expect him to be a transcendent player. Roddy has a long way to go, but despite being 2 years older, he's much more inexperienced, and raw, and that could be a good thing, in the sense he still has a lot room to improve. I love both players btw, and i hope Roddy shows Ricky the business wednesday.

Last edited by Budapest Maverick; 01-21-2012 at 03:00 PM.
Budapest Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 03:15 PM   #2007
j0Shi
Diamond Member

j0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budapest Maverick View Post
joshi: I don't see it, sorry. Roddy is 6'2, or more like 6'1, and a half inch maybe, Rubio is a legit 6'4 player, and just sooooo much smarter, with a much better handle, and an infinitely better passer. Roddy blows him out of the water as a scorer, and shooter though. Rubio is also playing "all-defense first team" D in the last couple of games. Just an amazing player, really, if he could shoot better, he would be the best prospect since James. Even without an elite touch, i fully expect him to be a transcendent player. Roddy has a long way to go, but despite being 2 years older, he's much more inexperienced, and raw, and that could be a good thing, in the sense he still has a lot room to improve. I love both players btw, and i hope Roddy shows Ricky the business wednesday.
Yeah that's what I said. Rubio has more smarts because he has played the point his whole life. I would doubt he has more smarts in general (how do you measure that anyway ). I thought Reggie Miller referred to Roddy as a 6-3, 6-4 guard. Maybe should have checked numbers before trusting him
Old 01-21-2012, 04:22 PM   #2008
CadBane
Banned

CadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0Shi View Post
Carlisle certainly knows what he's doing. Some people (and I willingly add myself to this list) tend to forget.

I disagree though that the run in the 1st was on Roddy unless he was supposed to go under. The guys he was guarding scored at will because he ran into well set picks and our bigs didn't switch at all. Maybe that was part of the gameplan but then it's misconception.

I'm very excited to have Rubio in the AAC on Wednesday. Roddy and Rubio are two similar players, equal height, equal wingspan, both good defenders, have struggles with their shot at times. The only difference is that Rubio played the point his whole life, Roddy hasn't.
Lolz...that's not "the only" difference between Rubio & Roddy.
CadBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 04:24 PM   #2009
CadBane
Banned

CadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yeah that's what I said. Rubio has more smarts because he has played the point his whole life. I would doubt he has more smarts in general (how do you measure that anyway ). I thought Reggie Miller referred to Roddy as a 6-3, 6-4 guard. Maybe should have checked numbers before trusting him
Dude...you can't be serious, can you? Roddy could have played PG his whole life and he wouldn't have half the court vision/passing skills of Rubio. We're talking about a kid as a Rookie who is third in the NBA in assists per game. We're talking about a guy who is one of the best passers in the league for years to come. Don't be ridiculous.
Old 01-21-2012, 04:44 PM   #2010
j0Shi
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CadBane View Post
Dude...you can't be serious, can you? Roddy could have played PG his whole life and he wouldn't have half the court vision/passing skills of Rubio. We're talking about a kid as a Rookie who is third in the NBA in assists per game. We're talking about a guy who is one of the best passers in the league for years to come. Don't be ridiculous.
I'm not. The only stats-cat that both players really separate from each other is Assists.

I don't believe in that court-vision stuff as it is not measurable (other than assists, plus is experience-based, where Rubio has a big advantage).

But learned that I was misguided on size (though Roddy has a bigger wingspan? 6-10 to 6-9?), so I have to take that comparison back anyway.
Old 01-21-2012, 05:13 PM   #2011
endrity
Platinum Member

endrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud of

Quote:
Roddy is often listed as 6-3, but he is definitely not that.
endrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 05:24 PM   #2012
CadBane
Banned

Quote:
I'm not. The only stats-cat that both players really separate from each other is Assists.

I don't believe in that court-vision stuff as it is not measurable (other than assists, plus is experience-based, where Rubio has a big advantage).

But learned that I was misguided on size (though Roddy has a bigger wingspan? 6-10 to 6-9?), so I have to take that comparison back anyway.
You don't believe in court vision?

I like Roddy a lot...but there is really no comparison to Rubio. Like I've said all along, I see Roddy's ceiling as prime Barbosa.
Old 01-21-2012, 05:40 PM   #2013
j0Shi
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CadBane View Post
You don't believe in court vision?

I like Roddy a lot...but there is really no comparison to Rubio. Like I've said all along, I see Roddy's ceiling as prime Barbosa.
I don't know. Barbosa had his best PER in 08-09 and Roddy is already averaging more Assists, Rebounds, Steals and Blocks (trails in scoring) than Barbosa that year. Given that he should get even better in assisting, Barbosa is not an accurate comparison in my eyes. Plus I can't remember Barbosa ever being a competitor on defense.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:59 PM   #2014
b_o_r
Golden Member

b_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394 View Post
Carlisle is spot on and he's doing roddy a favor.
http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/dal...competitor.ece
I actually think he is doing him a disservice. If Roddy was malcontent, lacked effort or a poor listener, I wouldn't mind the sporadic playing time. However, Carlisle is basically denying Roddy a chance to develop a better BBIQ because of a flawed perception of "toughness". Not trying to say he going to have a NBA career like Dirk or Nash, but Mavs went down this road about 13 years ago. Toughness and edge can be develop through failure and adversity and is rarely if ever by sitting on a bench.

Roddy did nothing differently in the Jazz win than he did in his other good games throughout his career. I personally believe his struggles offensively have more to do with the speed at which he plays. He has to learn the art of changing speed. Once he does that, he will begin to find the open man near the basket and not just for the long jump shot and his assist rate will rise.
b_o_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 10:44 PM   #2015
wilmtalk

wilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to behold

RC has a history of not being able to develop young talent. Just ask the fans in Indiana when he was the coach there. Why do you think they got rid of him? He feels more comfortable playing veterans so he just comes up with rationalizations for continuing to do so. With rookies and even though this is not his rookie year his total lack of experience in the game makes him one. I do not have the confedence in RC that some of the rest of you seem to have. Especially when it comes to developing players. His methodical nature wants to know exactly what he can expect to get from a player. A developing player is too much of an unknown for him to comfortably deal with.

The perfect storm season last year does not change who he ultimately is. He is a pretty good coach if he has a lot of time to evaluate his talent. but he can not make quick on the fly evaluations or adjustments.
wilmtalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 10:53 PM   #2016
clutch#41
Golden Member

clutch#41 is a jewel in the roughclutch#41 is a jewel in the roughclutch#41 is a jewel in the rough

Carlisle is still playing kidd 34mpg even after kidd has shot what 1 for 20? he just doesn't like to play younger guys. something i will never understand but as an organization, we havent had a top 10-20 pick in yrs so that somewhat explains it also. we rely on free agency and trades as a team not the draft.
clutch#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 11:28 PM   #2017
nowhereman
Diamond Member

nowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch#41 View Post
Carlisle is still playing kidd 34mpg even after kidd has shot what 1 for 20? he just doesn't like to play younger guys. something i will never understand but as an organization, we havent had a top 10-20 pick in yrs so that somewhat explains it also. we rely on free agency and trades as a team not the draft.
No top 20 picks since Harris, IIRC

Quote:
RT @TyLawson3 Good game between Dallas and Portland. Good thing we didn't end up getting Dallas. Coach Karl lost his mind.
nowhereman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 12:49 AM   #2018
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_o_r View Post
I actually think he is doing him a disservice. If Roddy was malcontent, lacked effort or a poor listener, I wouldn't mind the sporadic playing time. However, Carlisle is basically denying Roddy a chance to develop a better BBIQ because of a flawed perception of "toughness". Not trying to say he going to have a NBA career like Dirk or Nash, but Mavs went down this road about 13 years ago. Toughness and edge can be develop through failure and adversity and is rarely if ever by sitting on a bench.

Roddy did nothing differently in the Jazz win than he did in his other good games throughout his career. I personally believe his struggles offensively have more to do with the speed at which he plays. He has to learn the art of changing speed. Once he does that, he will begin to find the open man near the basket and not just for the long jump shot and his assist rate will rise.

I obviously disagree and the dirkster and jet disagree as well..

Also Carlisle threw roddy into the starting lineup last year and the team stunk. Carlisle is doing him a great service by forcing him to become a pro. Except for a 40 pt outing when he jacked up a ton of threes, roddy has barely earned playing time.
Old 01-23-2012, 01:34 AM   #2019
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

It remains to be seen whether Rick's doing Booby a favor or delaying his development. I frankly don't consider last year to be very useful in evaluating the situation because Booby was never healthy. And I'd also argue that if Dirk and JET had been as consistent in their efforts over the last few years as some people seem to expect Booby to be, the Mavs would probably have at least three championships and several 70 win seasons to their credit.

Of course, on the other side of things, Rick's the coach, and if he says he wants a particular defensive demeanor from Booby, then it's Booby's responsibility to figure out what that means and do it, regardless of how much or how little sense the requirement makes. Fortunately, I think he's been doing that. Hopefully Rick does his part and refrains from giving him any more DNPs like he did against the Lakers.
Old 01-23-2012, 02:12 AM   #2020
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by grndmstr_c View Post
And I'd also argue that if Dirk and JET had been as consistent in their efforts over the last few years as some people seem to expect Booby to be, the Mavs would probably have at least three championships and several 70 win seasons to their credit.
You would argue that, really?

I think you are wildly overestimating what folks are looking for from Beaubois.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 10:58 AM   #2021
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by grndmstr_c View Post
It remains to be seen whether Rick's doing Booby a favor or delaying his development. I frankly don't consider last year to be very useful in evaluating the situation because Booby was never healthy. And I'd also argue that if Dirk and JET had been as consistent in their efforts over the last few years as some people seem to expect Booby to be, the Mavs would probably have at least three championships and several 70 win seasons to their credit.

Of course, on the other side of things, Rick's the coach, and if he says he wants a particular defensive demeanor from Booby, then it's Booby's responsibility to figure out what that means and do it, regardless of how much or how little sense the requirement makes. Fortunately, I think he's been doing that. Hopefully Rick does his part and refrains from giving him any more DNPs like he did against the Lakers.
Certainly at some point the FO will need to make a decision on whether Roddy can actually play the point consistently or not. I really don't get why him being a 2 guard is so terrible. Sometimes it is what it is.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 12:33 PM   #2022
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

I think another JET should be Roddy's expected outcome.

Roddy's ceiling is still TBD due to injuries and inconsistent PT.

watch your thoughts, they become your words
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 12:33 PM   #2023
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

Double post.

I guess I optimistically hope for Tony Parker with JET range and Rondo defense when I think of Roddy's ceiling.

watch your thoughts, they become your words

Last edited by rabbitproof; 01-23-2012 at 12:37 PM.
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 12:46 PM   #2024
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilmtalk View Post
RC has a history of not being able to develop young talent.
JJ Barea says hola...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 04:00 PM   #2025
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg View Post
You would argue that, really?

I think you are wildly overestimating what folks are looking for from Beaubois.
Agreed...at this point you just want someone who seems to know how to play at this level (not atheletically but mentally ).
Old 01-23-2012, 04:47 PM   #2026
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Agreed...at this point you just want someone who seems to know how to play at this level (not atheletically but mentally ).
That may be where your expectations have settled, but I interpret Rick, Dirk and JET's statements as referencing a different quality. My point is simply this. Buzzwords like consistency frequently get thrown around in talking about young players and the reasons that they sometimes don't get minutes, even as established veterans are usually given the opportunity to play through their lapses and struggles. The standards clearly differ, and without going so far as to say I believe that there shouldn't be different standards for established top-shelf players and intriguing but unproven ones, I'm nonetheless something less than completely convinced that the disproportionate application of the consistency-and-demeanor test when it comes to deciding whether Booby will get minutes is doing him that much of a favor.
Old 01-24-2012, 12:07 PM   #2027
dirt_dobber
Diamond Member

dirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond repute

great work by Bryan Gutierrez, Mavs.com
http://www.mavsfastbreak.com/2012/01...oddy-beaubois/

check out part of this story....
104 guards have played a minimum of 200 minutes at this point of the season.
Out of those guards, Beaubois ranks third in rebounding percentage (9.73 percent),
first in steals/100 possessions (4.33) and third in blocks/100 possessions (1.83).
dirt_dobber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 12:45 PM   #2028
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

I haven't been completely sold on the way Rick has handled Booby this season, but I will say that Rick's decision to keep Booby in there against Phoenix until the 4-minute mark of the 4th in a tight game when he was clearly struggling offensively is exactly the kind of coaching move that can help bring a young guy successfully through an otherwise heavy-handed program of player development.

If you withhold minutes from a player when that player doesn't contribute like you want in only a particular subset of the game's many elements, you're necessarily going to be benching the player even when he's doing other things that are clearly helping the team win. That by itself can be a hard thing for the player on the learning end (not to mention the fan base) to wrap their head around. But if you follow that up by rewarding that player for attending to that critical subset of game elements with extended, important minutes - even when they're visibly struggling with the things they've frequently done well in the past - now you're sending a complete and cohesive message that they can understand at a level that goes deeper than their intellect. And that's good coaching.
Old 01-26-2012, 02:46 AM   #2029
j0Shi
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt_dobber View Post
check out part of this story....
104 guards have played a minimum of 200 minutes at this point of the season.
Out of those guards, Beaubois ranks third in rebounding percentage (9.73 percent),
first in steals/100 possessions (4.33) and third in blocks/100 possessions (1.83).
Yeah, I mean, it's simply amazing. Latest numbers rank him at 2.13 Blocks per 100. From all Points that played at least 200 minutes at that position this season (51 players), second placed John Wall has 1.47 Blocks per 100, third placed Earl Watson 1.09. No one else averages a full block per 100. So Roddy more than doubles 95% of all point guards in Blocks per 100.

Have to say though that he fouls a lot more than others. Right now 5.52 per 100 which ranks 48th on the very same list. So a lot of his attempts to steal the ball or block shots lead to fouls which isn't what you want.

But as I've already stated, his foul rate and turnover rate are at a career low while rebounds, steals and blocks are at a career high. If those categories trending in opposite directions, it's a very good sign.
Old 01-26-2012, 04:22 AM   #2030
JHT

JHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to all

Roddy is playing really well... except when it comes to scoring and passing.

It's weird. He's great on defense, he gets blocks at a ridiculous rate, he's a rebounding beast (for a guard). But on offense, it's just not hitting. He passes up a lot of easy opportunities to drive. I don't get it.

Keep hoping that his defense will eventually fuel his offense but it really isn't so far.
JHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 09:05 AM   #2031
dude1394
Guru

As the dirkster said he just goes left/right too much instead of north/south.

Rubio last night took a pick and dove into the lane all night long and killed us. Roddy just mainly went left/ right all night.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:43 AM   #2032
sylvestian

sylvestian is a jewel in the roughsylvestian is a jewel in the roughsylvestian is a jewel in the roughsylvestian is a jewel in the roughsylvestian is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
As the dirkster said he just goes left/right too much instead of north/south.

Rubio last night took a pick and dove into the lane all night long and killed us. Roddy just mainly went left/ right all night.

you kiddin me... Rubio 12 A, 7 TO in 46 min....Roddy 5 A, 1 TO in 20 min

...what about Ratio and playin time...want you guyz seein your heads crushin in your tv´s when roddy throwing balls away like Rubio in some plays yesterday + he has so much more freedom and isnt under a mind killin magnifying glass.
sylvestian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 11:18 AM   #2033
JeffViggiano
Banned

JeffViggiano will become famous soon enoughJeffViggiano will become famous soon enough

amazing block on Kevin Love!
JeffViggiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 12:00 PM   #2034
j0Shi
Diamond Member

Yeah actually Roddy doubled Rubio in every available metric. I repeatedly agree that Roddy should get to the cup more frequently, but especially yesterday nobody could get anything towards the rim. Give Wolves credit for packing the paint. Last year Mavs would have torched them with threes, this year they were 6-for-22.

I mean Odom forced it into the paint and ended up with 5 blocks allowed. The Wolves were all ovr the plays and again: Mavs guards (incl. Roddy) nonetheless scored 1.27 PPP off the P&R. That's more than solid and wasn't the reason we lost.

Last edited by j0Shi; 01-26-2012 at 12:01 PM.
Old 01-27-2012, 09:49 PM   #2035
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Amazing what confidence does to this kid....
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 10:32 PM   #2036
nowhereman
Diamond Member

nowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond repute

He reminds me a lot right now of when Josh Howard turned the corner. Specifically, I always remember this game as the moment Josh arrived: http://www.basketball-reference.com/...412210NYK.html

Lets hope this is a jumping off point for him

Quote:
RT @TyLawson3 Good game between Dallas and Portland. Good thing we didn't end up getting Dallas. Coach Karl lost his mind.
nowhereman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 10:57 PM   #2037
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

Good game against Utah especially nice to see some of his jumpers falling but Utah is very inept at guarding the rim.
Old 01-27-2012, 11:07 PM   #2038
LSMF
Diamond Member

LSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond repute

Roddy perhaps played his best game as a Mav tonight...However are we sure he's not Colombian? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reB4YLs-49U (3:19 Mark)

Last edited by LSMF; 01-27-2012 at 11:07 PM.
LSMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 05:51 AM   #2039
Budapest Maverick
Platinum Member

Budapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant future

Roddy's teasing us again, what a dominant performance, on both ends of the floor. 7 assists, 4 blocks (get out of here), and easy, effective pick&roll play without thinking too much. Most complete game of his career, by far. Keep it up Roddy.
Budapest Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 07:15 AM   #2040
JeffViggiano
Banned

JeffViggiano will become famous soon enoughJeffViggiano will become famous soon enough

amazing roddyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
JeffViggiano is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
"boo boo", broussard mav hater, b_o_r_i_n_g, doghouse, easy win, employé numéro huit, flying frenchman, free roddy b's foot, jeff's vagina monologues, mikefisherhypemachine, myroddybucketisfull, overrated pos, roddy = rondo but better, rudy!rudy!rudy!, the future, wankingoff to roddy vid