Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 07-16-2002, 03:33 PM   #1
Charlie Brown

Charlie Brown is on a distinguished road

hey guys,

i'm new here.

i was wondering what you guys thought of this possible trade, which makes a lot of sense to me.

it appears wang has grown enamored with golden state. after we sign raef for what it looks like will be close to the max, and then sign najera, i doubt we will have a lot of money left to match any offers for wang. furthermore, golden state needs a veteran point guard to lead their young team and to serve as an understudy for young point guards Gilbert Arenas and Jiri Welsh. we need players that can bang inside and rebound, which golden state has. how about the following trade?

Wang, Van Exel, and Eshmeyer or Bradley

for

Dampier, Sura and Blaylock

I'd like to add Fortson in there, but I think G.S. would think they're giving up too much. i think blaylock would be a great backup to steve as he can hit the open shot, run a team, and also plays great defense. Sura's a great athletic swingman who i think would flow with our system.

as a result, here are the resulting lineups.

Dallas
PG Nash/Blaylock
SG Finley/Sura
SF Nowitzki/Griffin
PF Lafrentz/Najera
C Dampier/Bradley or Eshmeyer

Golden State
PG Van Exel/Arenas
SG Richardson/Welsh
SF Dunleavy/Fortson
PF Jamison/Wang
C Foyle/Bradley or Eshmeyer

also, in the free agent market, i think it would be great if we could get Donyell Marshall with our mid-level exception. the guy is like nowitzki and lafrentz in that he can go both inside and outside. one thing i like about this guy is that he's a great finisher and is better in the post than nowitzki or lafrentz. if we pick him up, we could use a small lineup for teams not named the lakers or spurs and we could use a big lineup for those teams.

small lineup
pg nash
sg finley
sf nowitzki
pf marshall
c lafrentz

big lineup
pg nash
sg finley
sf nowitzki
pf lafrentz
c dampier

tell me what you guys think
3. Heidi Klum - the source of my perspiration
Charlie Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-2002, 03:43 PM   #2
PeterVecseyisdumb

PeterVecseyisdumb is an unknown quantity at this point

<< hey guys,

i'm new here.

i was wondering what you guys thought of this possible trade, which makes a lot of sense to me.

it appears wang has grown enamored with golden state. after we sign raef for what it looks like will be close to the max, and then sign najera, i doubt we will have a lot of money left to match any offers for wang. furthermore, golden state needs a veteran point guard to lead their young team and to serve as an understudy for young point guards Gilbert Arenas and Jiri Welsh. we need players that can bang inside and rebound, which golden state has. how about the following trade?

Wang, Van Exel, and Eshmeyer or Bradley

for

Dampier, Sura and Blaylock

I'd like to add Fortson in there, but I think G.S. would think they're giving up too much. i think blaylock would be a great backup to steve as he can hit the open shot, run a team, and also plays great defense. Sura's a great athletic swingman who i think would flow with our system.

as a result, here are the resulting lineups.

Dallas
PG Nash/Blaylock
SG Finley/Sura
SF Nowitzki/Griffin
PF Lafrentz/Najera
C Dampier/Bradley or Eshmeyer

Golden State
PG Van Exel/Arenas
SG Richardson/Welsh
SF Dunleavy/Fortson
PF Jamison/Wang
C Foyle/Bradley or Eshmeyer

also, in the free agent market, i think it would be great if we could get Donyell Marshall with our mid-level exception. the guy is like nowitzki and lafrentz in that he can go both inside and outside. one thing i like about this guy is that he's a great finisher and is better in the post than nowitzki or lafrentz. if we pick him up, we could use a small lineup for teams not named the lakers or spurs and we could use a big lineup for those teams.

small lineup
pg nash
sg finley
sf nowitzki
pf marshall
c lafrentz

big lineup
pg nash
sg finley
sf nowitzki
pf lafrentz
c dampier

tell me what you guys think
>>

I think this is a great trade for the warriors, and a bad trade for the mavs. I like dampier, however, the mavs are giving up too much in this trade. Blaylock is an old player. Blaylock isn't a great defender anymore.
PeterVecseyisdumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2002, 03:45 PM   #3
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

seelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to all

the trade itself is just horrible for the mavs
Old 07-16-2002, 03:49 PM   #4
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

No way...Van Exel alone is worth more than those guys.
Old 07-16-2002, 03:50 PM   #5
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

I think Wang, Bradely, and Esch is more of the lines of a deal but even so I still think the deal is still in favor of GS. Sura and Blaylock both of there games have declined and Dampier is pretty mucht he only plus out of the deal.Sura is no scrub though but wouldnt get much playing time here.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2002, 03:55 PM   #6
mpb319

mpb319 is a jewel in the roughmpb319 is a jewel in the roughmpb319 is a jewel in the rough

I'm new here too guy....but that trade gives GS WAY TO MUCH!

GS is looking for a trade partner for Fortson and maybe even Dampier to ease the overcrowding they have in the front court since Jamison is moving back to PF with Dunleavy playing SF.
Giving them Van Exel would be STUPID.
Blaylock is a free agent and his shooting percentage makes Nick look like a sharpshooter....so that is a definite NO to Mookie.
Sura is ok....limited defensive ability...let them keep Sura and Blaylock and let us keep NICK.
Doing a sign and trade with Wang....could and I stress could...be the way to go in order to get either Fortson or Dampier.

As far as Donyell Marshall goes....I am not a big fan of his....but he would fit in to what we need. He is a BIG 3 who has a back to the basket game as well as a perimeter game. He is a decent defender and rebounder. I would not be mad if we signed him to a deal....as long as it isn't a long term high $ deal. Sign him for the whole exception if you have too....but not for more than 2-3 years...best bet would be a 1 year deal and then we would see how well he fits in here
mpb319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2002, 03:57 PM   #7
Nellie
Golden Member

Nellie is on a distinguished road

I have to agree. If we take on Blaylock, we would have not 1 but 2 older PGs at the end of their careers. Blaylock is no better of an option than AJ so why would we want that? Sura is an inconsistent player, often hurt and would never be a better option than Griffin. That leaves Dampier who I actualy think could help the Mavs but not forthe price of NVE. If you could get a Bradley for Dampier deal done, than I would be on board with that. But other than that, this trade makes absolutely no sense at all.

Regardless, welcome to the board.
Old 07-16-2002, 04:03 PM   #8
Charlie Brown

actually,

i was thinking more in terms of contract reasons as well. we unload bradley's big fat contract and van exel's and the only big contract we get in return is dampier, who'd be worth his contract more than bradley. i was hoping to get mookie in a sign and trade for a one year contract and sura only has two years left on a decent contract.

i realize gs's getting more, but you have to pay a premium at times for a legitimate center. dampier's numbers might not have been great, but i think he would be of value to us more than van exel and wang combined. i'm not a big fan of the two point guard lineup employed by nelson and would rather have sura running alongside nash than van exel. wang, however, has huge potential in my eyes. however, i'm just proposing that if he doesn't want to come back to the mavs, we need to get something for him in return.

but you guys are right, gs is getting more. perhaps we can replace arenas with mookie. they won't give us welsch, who's highly regarded by them. they might give us fortson, but i think this guy's overrated. he can get rebounds, but can't play man to man defense and lacks an offensive game and is undersized. we really need a big body inside and i think dampier would be a good answer for that.
Old 07-16-2002, 04:07 PM   #9
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Honestly I think the route of signing Jerome James who has playoff experience and I feel is a better player then Dampier. This way if we are gonna trade NVE it istn for a serviceable player and 1 retired player and a guy like Sura.

1996-2005
Old 07-16-2002, 04:21 PM   #10
Charlie Brown

honestly,

i haven't seen james play, so i can't dispute what you said, but i get the feeling that this guy's another Calvin Booth . . . someone who has one good season and then fails to live up to his contract. Ike Austin's another example. I think Dampier is a more proven center, plus he has a better offensive game than James, who I hear is raw offensively.

also, i think a lot of mav fans may be overestimating van exel's trade value. i think a reason why van exel's name is not surfacing much around the league is that he is not the hot commodity he used to be. he's an aging point guard, who didn't necessarily light it up when he came to dallas and had a poor playoff series against the kings. but i do admit that another reason why his name's not coming up very often is that names like baron davis, andre miller, gary payton, and jeff mcinnis are still up in the air.

however, i don't think we can pry dampier for just wang. we would have to give up a van exel. but then again, we wouldn't give up van exel and wang for just a dampier. we would need a backup point guard plus more, which is why i suggested mookie or gilbert and bobby. perhaps, we can just do welsh and dampier, which i'd do in a heartbeat, but i don't think g.s. would agree to that.
Old 07-16-2002, 04:33 PM   #11
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

<< honestly,

i haven't seen james play, so i can't dispute what you said, but i get the feeling that this guy's another Calvin Booth . . . someone who has one good season and then fails to live up to his contract. Ike Austin's another example. I think Dampier is a more proven center, plus he has a better offensive game than James, who I hear is raw offensively.

also, i think a lot of mav fans may be overestimating van exel's trade value. i think a reason why van exel's name is not surfacing much around the league is that he is not the hot commodity he used to be. he's an aging point guard, who didn't necessarily light it up when he came to dallas and had a poor playoff series against the kings. but i do admit that another reason why his name's not coming up very often is that names like baron davis, andre miller, gary payton, and jeff mcinnis are still up in the air.

however, i don't think we can pry dampier for just wang. we would have to give up a van exel. but then again, we wouldn't give up van exel and wang for just a dampier. we would need a backup point guard plus more, which is why i suggested mookie or gilbert and bobby. perhaps, we can just do welsh and dampier, which i'd do in a heartbeat, but i don't think g.s. would agree to that.
>>

If James comes to an organization like the Mavs I dont think he will be a Calin Booth or a Jim Mclivane. And the reason why I brought up James is because we wont be paying him as much as Booth wanted or as much as Dampier is getting.

If Wang isnt enough to pry in Dampier then Mavs shuold go esle where. I dont feel no one is overestimating him but I do feel is as if we dont think he is a scrub player. The only reason he was brought to teh Mavs was for contract issues if that wasnt a case then Mavs would have never gotten him in the deal. Compare this trade to the Kurt Thomas and Ward deal and maybe u might change ur mind.

1996-2005
Old 07-16-2002, 06:38 PM   #12
David
Golden Member

David is on a distinguished road

Dampier is hurt a lot and is foul prone. Blaylock is a FA and could be signed without compensation, if the Mavs wanted him and I wouldn't. Blaylock was a good player about 6-7 years ago. He shouldn't even be in the league anymore. He's that bad. Sura would be good coming off the bench because he can play PG/SG but I wouldn't give up much for him. In short, I don't like the trade idea much at all.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2002, 03:24 AM   #13
scooterj5
Golden Member

scooterj5 is on a distinguished road

Eek. I don't like that trade at all. If Shawn Bradley frustrates you, then Erick Dampier would be just as bad. Sura is a ballhog and Mookie's over the hill, although he's probably the most useful of the triumvirate.

I don't see how this benefits Dallas at all. I think you're underrating NVE's value to us. He is an explosive, capable scorer. I wouldn't trade him for Fortson either... We need rebounding, but we also need defence!
Old 07-17-2002, 07:53 AM   #14
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

another thing..bradley's contract isn't that big and fat
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote