Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 09-11-2008, 02:48 PM   #1
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Philadelphia Eagles @ Dallas Cowboys (9/15/08, 7:30PM CST) - Game 1

Eagles at Cowboys
Quote:
Originally Posted by Info
TV: ESPN, local 21
Time: 7:30PM CST
Line: Dallas by 3 (from ESPN)
(STATS LLC) -- As dominant as the Dallas Cowboys and Philadelphia Eagles were in their openers, a win Monday night would be considered a lot more impressive regardless of how easy it came.

One of the NFL's biggest rivalries, featuring one of its most polarizing players, is renewed when Terrell Owens and the Cowboys host the Eagles with each team trying to stake its claim as the one to beat in the NFC East.

Dallas is looking to win its final home opener at Texas Stadium -- the team moves into a new $1 billion-plus facility next year -- by avoiding a third consecutive home loss to Philadelphia.

The Cowboys received plenty of hype as Super Bowl favorites this season after going 13-3 last year, but the Eagles garnered some as well with Donovan McNabb returning at full strength. Both teams appeared worthy of such consideration after blowout wins last week.

"There's a reason why they won 13 games last year. So we know that it's going to be a battle," McNabb said. "Every time we play it goes to the wire somehow, so we have to prepare ourselves to go out and give up a good fight."

The winner could make a statement as to which team may be the favorite to win the NFC East.

Though the defending Super Bowl champion New York Giants can't be left out of that conversation, they did struggle to beat Washington in their opener and can't prove much this week. That's because they will be facing St. Louis, a team which Philadelphia dominated last Sunday in a 38-3 home win.

Dallas was just as impressive on the road in its opener, rolling to a 28-10 victory over Cleveland. Tony Romo was 24-of-32 for 320 yards and threw his lone touchdown pass to Owens, who had five catches for 87 yards.

This will be Owens' fifth game against the Eagles since they bitterly parted ways after the 2005 season.

"If he's not the best, he's one of the best at his position, and when it's all said and done, that'll be how it is for, I think, history," Eagles coach Andy Reid said of Owens. "He'll go down as one of the great wide receivers in this league, so you have to bring your 'A' game when you're playing against him."

Owens and Romo, however, have been held in check in Philadelphia's last two visits to Dallas. Romo had a 32.6 quarterback rating in those games and Owens accounted for just four catches for 60 yards while scoring the Cowboys' only touchdown as the team was limited to a combined 13 points.

Dallas was held to a total of 136 rushing yards in those two defeats, but ran for 167 last week against Cleveland. Marion Barber rushed for 80 yards and two touchdowns on 16 attempts despite leaving in the third quarter with bruised ribs, though he is expected to play this week, and rookie Felix Jones ran for 62 yards and a score.

The Eagles run defense, though, looked very good last week as it held three-time 1,000-yard rusher Steven Jackson to 40 yards on 14 attempts. Philadelphia was seventh in the league against the run last season, allowing an average of 95.8 yards per game, while Dallas ranked sixth at 94.6.

Brian Westbrook has rushed for 100 yards only once in 12 career games versus Dallas, but is coming off a solid season debut with 91 yards and a TD on 19 carries. He also had a touchdown reception as part of Philadelphia's masterful passing game led by McNabb.

Coming off a season in which he was recovering from knee surgery and didn't appear to hit his stride until late in the year, McNabb looked very healthy to open this season as he threw for 361 yards and three touchdowns. Even with Philadelphia not acquiring a big-name receiver through free agency and projected starters Kevin Curtis and Reggie Brown sidelined by injury, the Eagles had three 100-yard receivers -- rookie DeSean Jackson, Greg Lewis and Hank Baskett.

"They played the Rams. They didn't play the Cowboys," Dallas cornerback Adam "Pacman" Jones told the team's official Web site. "We'll do what we have to do and we're going to show up. I can't wait."

Though Brown may return Monday, Philadelphia's passing attack appears to have a greater challenge against a Dallas secondary which is expected to welcome back Pro Bowl cornerback Terence Newman, who sat out the opener with a groin injury. With Jones replacing Newman in the starting lineup last week, the Cowboys limited the Browns passing game -- featuring 2007 Pro Bowlers Derek Anderson, Braylon Edwards and Kellen Winslow -- to 114 yards.

"It's one game," Dallas safety Ken Hamlin said. "We showed we can do things, we executed pretty well, but we have to improve."

Last edited by u2sarajevo; 09-11-2008 at 02:50 PM.
u2sarajevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-2008, 08:30 AM   #2
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute
Default let the smack talk begin!

T.O.: 'I got too big' for Philly, McNabb

IRVING, Texas (AP) - Terrell Owens vividly recalls the fans chanting his name and the cheers he used to hear in Philadelphia — the ones he feels drove a wedge between himself and Donovan McNabb.

Owens once thought he was going to have the kind of relationship with McNabb in Philadelphia that he has since developed with Tony Romo in Dallas. The pair are good friends and the NFL's top-scoring quarterback-receiver tandem with 26 touchdowns since 2006.

"The fans and just the excitement of me coming there and being there, it became too overwhelming for Donovan," Owens said Thursday. "I think at one point in time, I will say that we had a good relationship. I think I got too big for Philly, too big for him. I just feel like in a sense that he felt like I was just probably getting too much attention."

The Eagles kicked Owens off their team during the 2005 season — a year after they went to the Super Bowl — after a series of infractions, including repeated criticism of McNabb and the organization.

"I feel strong about my position and what happened in Philly, and I really don't feel like it was my fault," Owens said.

Dallas' home opener against Philadelphia on Monday night will be the fifth time Owens faces the Eagles.

Each time the NFC East rivals are getting ready to play, it seems to revive the history between T.O. and McNabb, at least from the receiver's perspective.

On a conference call with Cowboys media Thursday, McNabb did his best to avoid the subject of their relationship.

"We had great times here. ... It's unfortunate the way things ended up," McNabb said. "But he's happy where he's at and I'm happy where I'm at."

Asked if Owens was a changed man, McNabb said he didn't know. "I'm just a guy on the outside looking in," he said.

Owens has had contact recently with former Eagles teammates Lito Sheppard, who "called and asked me for a few more tickets," and receiver Greg Lewis. But not McNabb.

"No, I haven't talked to Donovan," T.O. said. "It's been a while."

But at one point in Philadelphia, the relationship between T.O. and McNabb was so good that they used to get together at Owens' house to watch all the Monday Night Football games.

"He was the bartender or I was the bartender. We gave ourselves some alias names and we had a lot of fun," Owens said. "We had a lot of teammates come over and enjoy that. It was a situation where things didn't work out in Philly and now I'm here."

This time, they will be on opposite sides of a drama for everybody else to watch.

Eagles coach Andy Reid told Cowboys reporters Thursday that he was happy that things worked out for Owens, and wishes the receiver well even though they were in the same division.

"He still wishes I was there. Don't let him sell you those lines," Owens said, adding that he had a good relationship with the coach. "By far, Andy is one of the better coaches I have had. Only thing I didn't like was he didn't let me wear my tights. Other than that, we were good."

McNabb's best statistical season (3,875 passing yards and 31 touchdowns) came in 2004, when he was throwing passes to Owens and the Eagles made it to the Super Bowl, which Owens played in after coming back from a broken bone in his leg.

But Owens publicly demanded a new contract just one year into a seven-year, $48.97 million deal and feuded with McNabb.

Money hasn't been an issue for Owens in Dallas, where he initially got a $25 million, three-year deal. This would have been his final season under that original deal, but this summer the 34-year-old receiver got a three-year extension worth about $27 million through the 2011 season.

"I've always just wanted my market value," Owens said. "I think I've always kind of been underpaid — up until now.

"Hey, I'm happy," Owens said before turning and giving an extended and exaggerated posed smile.

With the money and his quarterback in Dallas.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 09:33 AM   #3
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Monday night should be good times.
Old 09-12-2008, 02:43 PM   #4
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute
Default daily fluff

Newman's Status For Monday Still Unclear

Although Terence Newman said Monday he'd make his season debut against Philadelphia, Cowboys head coach Wade Phillips wants more evidence in practice that the Pro Bowl cornerback is ready to return from his nagging groin injury.

Newman was limited again on Thursday, though Phillips said he practiced more with the first-team defense and could indeed play Monday night at Texas Stadium. Last week, Newman worked mostly with the scout team before sitting out the Cowboys' season opener against Cleveland.

"He did a lot more today than he did last week at this point," Phillips said. "And he showed a lot more things in practice when he practiced."

Newman suffered a slight groin tear early in training camp and originally was expected to miss at least three weeks. He returned to practice on Aug. 25 but missed all four preseason games.

Phillips said Newman did not suffer a setback in his recovery, but rather he "just leveled off."

"He was doing OK and he leveled out a little bit and now he seems to be doing better," Phillips said.

If Newman is inactive, Adam Jones would start again at left cornerback and rookie Orlando Scandrick likely would continue manning the slot in nickel situations. The Cowboys will practice Friday and Saturday leading up to Monday night's 7:30 p.m. (CDT) kickoff.

"If he looks like himself (he'll play)," Phillips said. "That's all I can gauge. If he looks like he can play and he says, 'I'm ready.'"

Miles Austin Looks Ready To Play

It’s becoming rather clear that wide receiver Miles Austin will be ready to play this week against the Eagles. The third-year pro, who suffered a sprained MCL on his right knee about a month ago in Denver, has looked rather sharp all week, despite wearing a protective brace.

Austin has practiced all three days, including here Friday, with seemingly no setbacks.

One team trainer said this week he expects Austin to play against the Eagles, which was evident by the team releasing Mike Jefferson and putting him back on the practice squad.

The Cowboys will likely go into the game again with four receivers. However, a big question involves special teams coverage. The club did not use Isaiah Stanback in that area last week because he was coming off a shoulder injury.

The same logic might prevent Austin from covering kickoffs as well.

Hurd Progressing

Cowboys wide receiver Sam Hurd (high ankle sprain) wants to wait until he starts cutting on his sore ankle before he estimates a return date for practice.

"Front-line and straight forward (running) is good, but cutting will be the test," said Hurd, who started running this week and guessed that his ankle is "85 percent" healthy.

Hurd isn't expected to play against the Eagles, but said a Sept. 21 return at Green Bay is within reach, barring any setbacks.

Guard Kyle Kosier (hairline foot fracture) was the only other player who missed practice. Running back Marion Barber (ribs) and wide receiver Isaiah Stanback had full participation Thursday; cornerback Terence Newman (groin), wide receiver Miles Austin (knee) and linebacker Anthony Spencer (knee) were limited.

Making Contact

Cowboys inside linebacker Bradie James said he had no issues with the new helmet communication device in the regular-season opener, but Monday night he'll have to block out the Texas Stadium crowd noise while receiving defensive signals in his ear.

"This will be my biggest test because it'll be loud," James said. "We're playing at home, and usually it's our fans that you've really got to worry about (with noise). On the road it's more quiet because their offense has the ball."

Backup linebacker Kevin Burnett had been the designated device-wearer when James left the field in nickel and dime situations during preseason, but Burnett took hand signals from defensive coordinator Brian Stewart against the Browns.

Rivalry Newbie

There aren't many things 12-year veteran Zach Thomas is new to. But this Cowboys-Eagles rivalry is one of them. Even growing up in Pampa, Texas and playing at Texas Tech, Thomas said he didn't know the full intensity of this rivalry until this week. "Not really," Thomas said. "But it seems like everyone in the division here is a rival. When I was in Miami, it was the Jets. Really, only the Jets. But here it seems like every division team is a rival. But Philly, I know with the way they're talking, it's a big game.

Short Shots

Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb didn't take exception to Adam Jones' comment on Philly's offensive dominance in its season-opening win over St. Louis. Jones said Monday, "It's going to be a big challenge, but they played the Rams. They ain't played the Cowboys." McNabb shrugged it off, saying, "Everyone has their own opinion. We'll definitely see Adam on Monday. I don't get into that trash talking or slighting anyone. We'll see each other on Monday." . . . Eagles starting wide receiver Reggie Brown (hamstring) was limited in Thursday's practice and was labeled "questionable" by head coach Andy Reid. Brown and starting receiver Kevin Curtis (sports hernia) missed the season opener. Curtis won't play Monday.

Old 09-12-2008, 03:06 PM   #5
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

I was more worried going into the Cleveland game than this one. Weird, I know.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 03:39 PM   #6
horse900703
Diamond Member

horse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud of

wow, should be a good game~
horse900703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 04:21 PM   #7
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

Ninkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant future

mcnabb's in top form..westbrook is too. should be a fun one to watch!
Old 09-15-2008, 10:25 AM   #8
GermanDunk
Diamond Member

GermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond repute

2:30 MES time - unfortunately too late for me *sigh*
Old 09-15-2008, 04:12 PM   #9
horse900703
Diamond Member

horse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud of

COME ON COWBOYS!!!!!!
horse900703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 04:40 PM   #10
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

500 on my boys!

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 03:01 PM   #11
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

I'm 2-0 when betting more than $500 on da 'boys!

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 03:31 PM   #12
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ty
I'm 2-0 when betting more than $500 on da 'boys!
Um, V-Cash or In-God-We-Trust-Cash?

Old 09-16-2008, 04:09 PM   #13
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

It seems like I finally found something I can actually win vCash on, the Boys.
Old 09-16-2008, 06:19 PM   #14
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Diamond Member

MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9
It seems like I finally found something I can actually win vCash on, the Boys.
Me too. Picking 1 out of 82 NBA basketball games is difficult. Any team can beat another on any night in the NBA.
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs is offline   Reply With Quote