Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 08-19-2008, 11:50 AM   #841
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Well Franky franlky did it again!

Not like we have a chance to do anything anymore this season. Im really looking forward to seeing the young guns coming up tho!
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-2008, 05:37 PM   #842
wesbrynt

wesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the rough

I would be happy if I never had to see franky francisco or jamey wright pitch again and never ever ever saw travis metcalf in any capacity. He needs to go the way of jason botts.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:54 AM   #843
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Neftali Feliz pitched five innings of no-hit ball last night before being removed because of his pitch count.

You're talking about one of the five best pitching prospects in all of baseball, at this point.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 03:00 PM   #844
mkat
Platinum Member

mkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesbrynt
I would be happy if I never had to see franky francisco or jamey wright pitch again and never ever ever saw travis metcalf in any capacity. He needs to go the way of jason botts.
toss in Warner Madrigal...has the dude EVER pitched well in the majors? i haven't seen it if he has...

i think Harrison and Feldman could be solid with a little more time..
Old 08-20-2008, 03:01 PM   #845
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Um, Madrigal has been pretty darn good for most of the season.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 08-20-2008, 04:16 PM   #846
Kirobaito
Platinum Member

Kirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant future

MADRIGAL?! The guy's been pitching for less than two years. Besides his first and last appearances, he's been quite good.

This year was supposed to be one of rebuilding. This is how you rebuild... you take your lumps. That's what he's doing right now. He'll be fine.
Old 08-20-2008, 05:50 PM   #847
wesbrynt

wesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the rough

madgrigal sucks right now. Maybe with a few more seasons he may have something but that dude can't get anyone out. And he looks like a fat assed toad
Old 08-20-2008, 06:08 PM   #848
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

That's it. I'm only responding to people in this thread who have an ounce of sense. Can't take it anymore.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 08-20-2008, 06:36 PM   #849
Caseman
Golden Member

Caseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to all

This team('s pitching) sucks.

Last edited by Caseman; 08-20-2008 at 06:36 PM.
Caseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 01:08 PM   #850
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Hitler reviews the 2008 Rangers

Absolute gold. I've seen quite a few things put onto that clip, and it never gets old.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 08-23-2008, 07:46 PM   #851
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

ugg i hate listening to people who dont actually watch the rangers except the like 4 games a year that are on national tv. I am going to do a basic review of the season for the rangers.

Josh Hamilton has to begin any list of positives for the rangers this year. He is an above average defensive CFer with a Plus Plus bat or the second best defensive right fielder in baseball if the rangers decide to play him there to limit wear and tear. His RBI numbers are a little inflated because of kinslers amazing season but hes one of the 5-8 best position players in baseball and hes stayed healthy. Ian kinsler is right there with josh, for the best development, had an absolutely dominant offensive season and looks like the leadoff hitter for a long time. Chris davis' big league debut is also extremely impressive and he looks like a legit 40 homer a year guy if not more with plus D at first.

The development of two guys who legitimately look like they have the ceiling of being an ace(holland and feliz) especially holland given our lack of lh prospects. They both have absolutely dominant fastballs and have shown signs of solid secondary stuff. Most importantly they strike people out. I know the rangers have generally had a pitch to contact philosophy but i dont like it. Speaking of pitching to contact, if we are going to employ a pitch to contact philosophy as much as i love the offensive potential of a lineup with hamilton, smoak, davis and max ram in the middle, you cant play davis at third. Also playing davis at third moves young from having a position once andrus comes up. And dont kid yourself, young is going to be starting on this team for the next 5 years. The continued development of all the incredibly young starters we have and the full season debuts of all the picks from last year have gone well. That is an amazing feat in and of itself.

The incredible resellience this team has showed is also a big development for the future. Great years from bradley and vazquez would rank higher on this list if either had a future with the club. The breakout year for scott feldman would have ranked higher before his last couple of starts but hes still shown he can be a well above average number 4 and this is a guy i wouldnt have minded seeing dfa'd before the year.

Any summary of this years team wouldnt be complete without the listing of several negatives. The incredibly bad pitching and the ton of injuries start the list. The two pitchers who stand out the most are kevin millwood and cj wilson. Both have to be better than this next year. Cjs stuff is just too good for him to be this terrible. Im not giving up on him yet. Millwood disgusts me. I didnt want him signed but i expected more than this. Geez. Id put him on waivers and if someone claims him ask for a C prospect and if they dont give one up, just let him go to be rid of his salary. Taylor teagarden looks like a backup catcher. He just cant hit. Francisco and madrigal have actually been positives though. They look like back end of the bullpen power arms for years to come. Signing smoak to a minor league deal was also a HUGE deal. We just dont have room on the 40. Im not as worried about this year as i am about next year. I also hate that blalocks ranger career is done after next year. I think his option is picked up and then hes traded in the offseason. He needs a change of scenery and i cant believe im saying that about a left handed hitter with that swing in this park. I am however thrilled that jd didnt go crazy and deal the farm for a slim shot at this years playoffs.

Thats pretty much what ive thought of this season off the top of my head. When the seasons completely over, ill do a real recap.

also just a hunch but i think matt holiday is a ranger next year.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 11:41 PM   #852
wesbrynt

I could go for matt holiday in a rangers uni. He can play some ball. Also why no future for vasquez? Do you think someone else overpays for him or do we just not have room for a decent hitter who can't field a lick. What do you see for german duran in the future. I have a rooting intrest in him as his dad used to work for my family business and he came out one summer to help.
Old 08-24-2008, 01:31 AM   #853
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

I think Teagarden's going to hit enough to be a starting catcher, when you take into consideration his plus plus defense. And I think the Rangers will end up keeping him as their starting catcher because I think they'll want to give their up and coming pitchers every advantage possible over the next few seasons.

I think Laird and Salty are traded this offseason.

I don't think there are any plans, at all, to keep Davis at third long term.

I still think CJ is the closer of the future for this team. Bone spurs is a legitimate reason for his struggles this season.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 08-24-2008, 04:08 AM   #854
Caseman
Golden Member

Caseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32
I don't think there are any plans, at all, to keep Davis at third long term.
Norm said their plans might be to grow Davis at third and then when Blalock has run his course, Smoke comes up from the minors and plays at first.
Old 08-24-2008, 04:10 AM   #855
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseman
Norm said their plans might be to grow Davis at third and then when Blalock has run his course, Smoke comes up from the minors and plays at first.
I don't see it. Unless Davis performs much better than expected, I think he's the starting first basemall all of next season.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 08-24-2008, 09:22 AM   #856
wesbrynt

If you grow davis at third where do you move young to when andrus gets here. Also how does arias fit in to the infield plans. I really like him for some reason.
Old 08-24-2008, 01:07 PM   #857
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

Arias becomes your utility guy. Young to split time at third with Davis and alternate DH appearances?

Give me this lineup in about 2010:
C - Teagarden/MaxRam
1b - Smoak
2b - Kinsler
3b - Davis/Young
SS - Andrus
Util - Young/Arias
LF - Murphy
CF - Borbon/Beltre
RF - Hamilton
4th OF - Mayberry Jr, Boggs
DH - Young/Davis/MaxRam
Old 08-24-2008, 08:11 PM   #858
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocelot_ark
Arias becomes your utility guy. Young to split time at third with Davis and alternate DH appearances?

Give me this lineup in about 2010:
C - Teagarden/MaxRam
1b - Smoak
2b - Kinsler
3b - Davis/Young
SS - Andrus
Util - Young/Arias
LF - Murphy
CF - Borbon/Beltre
RF - Hamilton
4th OF - Mayberry Jr, Boggs
DH - Young/Davis/MaxRam
young would be about 8000 times the defensive 3rd basemen davis would be. beltre wont be here by 2010. I really want us to have an athletic/good defensive team and playing davis at third hurts that a ton. Hes a very good athlete/defender at first and a very poor one at third. Id actually like to give vallejo a look at third. Id like for him to make this team some how. and teagarden will be lucky to hit as well as varitek has this year.
Old 08-24-2008, 09:05 PM   #859
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Oh come on, that's ridiculous. Teagarden is going to hit well enough to be a legitmate catcher.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 08-24-2008, 10:09 PM   #860
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
Oh come on, that's ridiculous. Teagarden is going to hit well enough to be a legitmate catcher.
hes hit 217 combined in the minors this year. he strikes out more than davis and doesnt have power to compensate for it(i understand theres a huge difference in what a first basemen and a plus plus defensive catcher need to do with a bat)
Old 08-25-2008, 07:14 AM   #861
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

And even with that terrible average, he has a .350 OBP in AAA this season. For his minor league career he's a .270 hitter with a .395 OBP.

He may never be an average offensive catcher (although I think he will be), but to say he'll be lucky to be on the level os a horrendous offensive season....that seems a bit of a stretch.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game

Last edited by jthig32; 08-25-2008 at 07:15 AM.
Old 08-25-2008, 09:19 AM   #862
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

I think the Rangers like Duran a bit better as the possible utility guy of the future over Arias....
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 05:53 PM   #863
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan
young would be about 8000 times the defensive 3rd basemen davis would be. beltre wont be here by 2010. I really want us to have an athletic/good defensive team and playing davis at third hurts that a ton. Hes a very good athlete/defender at first and a very poor one at third. Id actually like to give vallejo a look at third. Id like for him to make this team some how. and teagarden will be lucky to hit as well as varitek has this year.
I disagree. In two years I think Young and Davis will have roughly the same capacity for playing third. I think CD has shown the lateral quickness playing 1st. No reason to think he can't do it at 3rd. And lord knows his arm is strong enough. Only play I haven't seen him make yet is charging a bunt and making the throw on the run. Maybe it's not in his future. But I'm much more concerned with getting him and smoak on the field at the same time if at all possible.

And if you're really wanting a good defensive team, you could probably care less how well teagarden will hit. Right?

I forgot about Duran and you're probably right, Murph. I just don't see it in him really. Maybe next year...
Old 08-25-2008, 08:42 PM   #864
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Every Day Eddie gone back to the Twins

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 09:23 PM   #865
Caseman
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalmations202
Every Day Eddie gone back to the Twins
Sad and shocking for me. Even though he's only been here for a short time, he had become one of my favorite Ranger. I hope this Hamburger guy is worth it.
Old 08-26-2008, 12:28 AM   #866
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

Nelson Cruz tore it up tonight. I really hope it clicks for him this time.
Old 08-26-2008, 08:39 AM   #867
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
And even with that terrible average, he has a .350 OBP in AAA this season. For his minor league career he's a .270 hitter with a .395 OBP.

He may never be an average offensive catcher (although I think he will be), but to say he'll be lucky to be on the level os a horrendous offensive season....that seems a bit of a stretch.
Hes also older than salty and is striking out a third of the time he bats. The ridiculous thing is hes actually lucky to have the terrible batting average he does. Id honestly rather keep laird and trade him if i had to pick. He has a ton of questions(terrible bat, injury history) without a ton of upside. i really hope im wrong for several reasons(im a HUGE ut fan) but i dont think he'll ever hit ml pitching well.

also, on the eddie trade i think it was done as much for him as it was for us.
Old 08-26-2008, 09:44 PM   #868
Caseman
Golden Member

Now if only Millwood wasn't always on the DL...
Old 08-26-2008, 10:19 PM   #869
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Two straight complete games from Millwood, holy cow. I bet he already cleared waivers; I wonder if someone will show some interest based on his hot streak.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game

Last edited by jthig32; 08-26-2008 at 10:20 PM.
Old 08-27-2008, 10:42 AM   #870
VivaNajera
Golden Member

VivaNajera is a glorious beacon of lightVivaNajera is a glorious beacon of lightVivaNajera is a glorious beacon of lightVivaNajera is a glorious beacon of lightVivaNajera is a glorious beacon of lightVivaNajera is a glorious beacon of lightVivaNajera is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks Millwood for pitching like this when the Rangers were out of contention...I dont expect complete games but quality starts would be nice.

Since Millwood cleared waivers and has pitched well, wonder if he will be traded while his value is high
VivaNajera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 09:21 AM   #871
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Man I sure with that Franky guy would stop sucking.......

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 09-03-2008, 05:42 PM   #872
Caseman
Golden Member

Quote:
Man I sure with that Franky guy would stop sucking.......
Meatball Fransico almost gave up a homerun.......
Old 09-03-2008, 05:47 PM   #873
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Yep.. he almost gave up a HR....
It's nice to be able to criticize a guy for almost giving up a hit... It's nice to be able to criticize a guy that just pitched a 1-2-3 ninth inning.
Old 09-03-2008, 05:50 PM   #874
Caseman
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3
Yep.. he almost gave up a HR....
It's nice to be able to criticize a guy for almost giving up a hit... It's nice to be able to criticize a guy that just pitched a 1-2-3 ninth inning.
Uh. It's not like it was a flyout. It took Byrd to jump a foot to snag it. I don't understand why you guys feel obligated to praise FF as one of our best pitchers.
Old 09-03-2008, 06:07 PM   #875
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Uh. It's not like it was a flyout. It took Byrd to jump a foot to snag it. I don't understand why you guys feel obligated to praise FF as one of our best pitchers.
Because he is one of our best pitchers. Saying he almost gave up a homerun after what he's shown as the closer is absolutely laughable.

I mean...honestly. He has the best ERA of anyone on the entire pitching staff that has pitched 50 innings. He also as the best strikeout ratios on the team by a freaking mile. He's obviously one of the best pitcher on the team this season. Give it the hell up.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game

Last edited by jthig32; 09-03-2008 at 06:12 PM.
Old 09-03-2008, 08:34 PM   #876
Caseman
Golden Member

Quote:
I mean...honestly. He has the best ERA of anyone on the entire pitching staff that has pitched 50 innings. He also as the best strikeout ratios on the team by a freaking mile. He's obviously one of the best pitcher on the team this season. Give it the hell up.
Okay, having the best ERA of this pitching staff isn't an accomplishment, so I can't believe you're trying to sell that on me. Last I checked it was rounding near/above 4. Padilla, who is the REAL best pitcher of this staff this year, has a similar ERA, but at least he can stretch it out to 5-6 innings. FF pitches for 3 outs. That's it. He has the best strike-out ratio? Well big-whoopy-doo. Who is his competition in the bull-pen? Madrigal? Wright? Wow! I'm so glad FF is keeping this team together with his ACE pitching!

I'm not saying he is a terrible pitcher, but I'm sick of people trying to sell him as one of our best. The only two pitchers that can be called that this year is now-injured Padilla and now-traded Guardado.

Last edited by Caseman; 09-03-2008 at 08:35 PM.
Old 09-03-2008, 09:17 PM   #877
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

Quote:
Okay, having the best ERA of this pitching staff isn't an accomplishment, so I can't believe you're trying to sell that on me. Last I checked it was rounding near/above 4. Padilla, who is the REAL best pitcher of this staff this year, has a similar ERA, but at least he can stretch it out to 5-6 innings. FF pitches for 3 outs. That's it. He has the best strike-out ratio? Well big-whoopy-doo. Who is his competition in the bull-pen? Madrigal? Wright? Wow! I'm so glad FF is keeping this team together with his ACE pitching!

I'm not saying he is a terrible pitcher, but I'm sick of people trying to sell him as one of our best. The only two pitchers that can be called that this year is now-injured Padilla and now-traded Guardado.

Being about to pitch 5 or 6 innings is somehow an accomplishment? As the "premier" starter on a MLB franchise? FF IS one of our best pitchers. Deal with it. Such is life as a Ranger's fan.
Old 09-04-2008, 07:37 AM   #878
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:

Having the best ERA on the pitching staff is rather significant when the point being debated is whether he is one of the best pitchers ON THIS PITCHING STAFF.

But actually, if you want to compare him to the rest of the league, go ahead. His ERA is currently 3.49, which is well below league average. His K/9 ratio is 12th in the AL among pitchers with at least 40 innings. He's been a better pitcher overall this season than Guardado, anyone who has actually watched the last month of Ranger baseball would know that.

Padilla's ERA is 4.98. His WHIP is damn near 1.50. You need to do a little research or get a better definition of "similar ERAs". It's completely debatable whether Padilla has been our best starter this season, much less our REAL best pitcher.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 09-04-2008, 09:54 AM   #879
Murphy3
Guru

I was about to point out the same thing. No, Francisco hasn't been great this year. But, he has been a good pitcher by major league standards. I'm not sure why this argument has gone on this long.
Old 09-04-2008, 06:22 PM   #880
Caseman
Golden Member

Fine. I'm cheering for my O's then! Then we'll see who will be laughing!