Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 01-16-2004, 07:33 PM   #1
ReDIRKulous
Golden Member

ReDIRKulous is on a distinguished road
Default Spurs @ Indiana

I am amazed how well Indiana is playing this season. But I think a big part of it is that they are very familiar with each other the same way Sacramento is this year... except no injuries even. They are kind of similar to the Mavs last season. -- how we made very little change in the offseason. They did change coaches.. but both coaches are similar in styles and Carlisle was an assistant the year before.

The weakness of both Indiana and San antonio appears to be that both of their offenses will totally disappear at times.

It is weid to watch them play though... they are almost mirror images of each other.
There is nothing wrong with criticizing a team if your points are valid. But most of the armchair coaches on this board talk pseudo-basketball-ese and make results oriented comments as if they actually have an understanding of the game at the pro level. Most of the comments are based on disappointment from unrealistic expectations or the most ludicrous notion that you sitting in your barc-o-lounger knows more about how to win basketball games than Nelson. Just not gonna happen, boysan.-TwoDeep3
ReDIRKulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2004, 07:39 PM   #2
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Spurs @ Indiana

Indiana looks good this year, for sure. I think the key to the coaching change working out is that Carlisle is a considerably better coach than Zeke.

Question for the board. Last play of the game. You need a stop. Who do you take: Bowen or Artest?
Old 01-16-2004, 07:45 PM   #3
ReDIRKulous
Golden Member

I would take Bowen because I think Ron Artest is crazy -- hence unpredictable. He is probably more talented and atheltic than Bowen but Bowen is far more intelligent and disciplined imo. It is close though.

Which coach would you rather have of the 2? Pop or carlisle?

There is nothing wrong with criticizing a team if your points are valid. But most of the armchair coaches on this board talk pseudo-basketball-ese and make results oriented comments as if they actually have an understanding of the game at the pro level. Most of the comments are based on disappointment from unrealistic expectations or the most ludicrous notion that you sitting in your barc-o-lounger knows more about how to win basketball games than Nelson. Just not gonna happen, boysan.-TwoDeep3
Old 01-16-2004, 07:48 PM   #4
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed on Bowen. Artest tends to get more press as the "best perimeter defender in the game", but like you said, it's Bowen's discipline as a defender that sets him apart IMO. For my money he's the guy I want if I have to shut down any perimeter player in the league under 6'10".

As to the coach? Pop. No question, doubt, or other form of hesitation.
Old 01-16-2004, 07:48 PM   #5
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Spurs @ Indiana

I'd take Bowen for the stop. I think he's the best perimeter defender in the league.

I'd take the coach with the ring.
Old 01-16-2004, 07:55 PM   #6
ReDIRKulous
Golden Member

Let's put the coaching thing in perspective though... Pop won 2 championships with 2 of the best big men to ever play the game. He only won 2 out of 5 years too. I think it is fair to say that Pop should have won 5 out of 5 championships with maybe 2 of the top 5 big men to ever play the game... regardless of age.

Rick Carlisle is beating Popovich right now and has a J Oneal rather than a Tim Duncan.

Or put another way... who makes who look better... does Duncan make Pop look better? Or does Pop make Duncan look better?

I think Carlisle might be able to coach the Spurs better than Pop.

Old 01-16-2004, 08:02 PM   #7
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

He had two of the best big men ever, but one of them was past his prime. The year after they won the title, TD was hurt in the playoffs so they didn't have a legitimate chance to compete.

The Lakers had two fo the greatest players ever...on the same team...in their primes.

All things being equal, give me the coach that I know can coach a team to a title over one that I think can coach a team to a title.
Old 01-16-2004, 08:05 PM   #8
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

I'm not taking anything away from Carlisle. He did a great job with Detroit, and has Indiana playing arguably the best ball in the league right now. But Pop is just so good at getting his team prepared to play, and his defensive scheme is as good as it gets. As to whether he should have won 5, I can't really agree with you there. Yeah, he had Duncan and DRob, but he was going up against an LA team with Shaq at the top of his game (which is better than either of Pop's bigs have ever played), Kobe Bryant just as he emerged as one of the best players in the game, and arguably the best coach of all-time in Phil Jackson. Not to mention some very nice, championship tested role-players on those LA teams who just had a freakish knack for hitting stride in the playoffs. I'd have a hard time picking any coach in the association right now over Pop.
Old 01-16-2004, 08:26 PM   #9
ReDIRKulous
Golden Member

If Phil Jackson had had Duncan and Robinson I think he would have won five out of five of those possible championships.

I think Duncan and Robinson made Poip look much better than he is. Just the way I see it though.

Old 01-16-2004, 08:38 PM   #10
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

Robinson was noticeably slipping by the time LA won their third championship. The year before that, when LA went 15-1 in the playoffs, the Spurs lost Anderson against us and were shorthanded against LA. The year before that, as Dirno noted, TD was injured. The Spurs failure to win 5 in a row does not at all reflect poorly on Pop, IMO.
Old 01-16-2004, 08:56 PM   #11
ReDIRKulous
Golden Member

I wonder how much better Indiana would be if they had kept Brad Miller? It is a shame... they had to get rid of him for salary reasons right?
Old 01-16-2004, 10:39 PM   #12
IndyPacer1fan

IndyPacer1fan is on a distinguished road

Yes, he was lost for luxury cap space. The Kings were willing to go an average of $10 million a year for seven years and that would've put the Pacers well over the cap. He certainly would help, but there's no point in crying over what's gone. We're pretty deep and it gives other players a chance to step up and contribute.
IndyPacer1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 07:55 PM   #13
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

In the situation of which my team needed a stop I would take Artest.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote