Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 11-26-2002, 11:57 AM   #1
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

What do ya'll think? (I think great!)
Also suggests Shaq won't play (I think great!)
I remember Shaq saying he would develop knee problems in 2004 if Jackson wasn't selected to coach.

link

PHILADELPHIA (Ticker) - After a disappointing performance in the World Championships, Team USA named Hall of Famer Larry Brown coach on Tuesday.

Brown's first assignment will be the FIBA Americas Olympic Qualifying Tournament in August 2003 and the team is expected to be a different one than the last, which finished sixth in the World Championships at Indiana in September. The Americans must place in the top three in qualifying to defend their Olympic gold medal in 2004 in Athens, Greece.

Allen Iverson, Brown's starting guard on the Philadelphia 76ers, is among several superstars that already expressed an interest in playing for the national team. Tracy McGrady, Tim Duncan, Jason Kidd and Ray Allen said they would play, but Los Angeles Lakers center Shaquille O'Neal indicated he would not be there if Brown coached.

"I look at this as an unblievable honor, one that I don't take lightly," Brown said. "I understand how many great coaches there are who are deserving of this opportunity, and I feel so honored to be chosen. I will do my very best to represent USA Basketball and the NBA. This is what makes coaching worthwhile."

Enshrined into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame earlier this year, Brown is the only American man to play and coach in the Olympics. He assisted Rudy Tomjanovich in 2000, when the U.S. went 8-0 and won the gold medal in Sydney, Australia.

"Larry Brown is a terrific choice to lead USA Basketball at next summer's qualification tournament and utimately to the 2004 Olympic Games," said USA Basketball men's senior national team committee chairman Stu Jackson, who chose Brown over Phil Jackson of the Los Angeles Lakers, Pat Riley of Miami and Jerry Sloan of Utah.

"Among the NBA's top coaches, Larry has the most international coaching experience. He has the utmost respect from our players, the selection committee and his peers in the coaching community. We look forward to working with Larry during the next two years to bring the gold medal for men's basketball back to the USA."

Brown has posted a winning record in 26 of 30 seasons as a college or professional coach. He has been with the 76ers since the 1997-98 season, leading the team to four straight playoff appearances, including the 2001 NBA Finals.

The 62-year-old Brown averaged 4.1 points per game for the U.S. team that won the gold medal in the 1964 Olympics in Tokyo, Japan. He played five seasons in the ABA, winning a championship in 1969.

Brown began his coaching career in 1972 with the ABA's Carolina Cougars. He coached Kansas to an NCAA championship in 1988 and is 842-654 as an NBA coach, ranking eighth on the all-time wins list.

The U.S. team will consist of eight to nine top NBA players with the remaining three or four spots filled by role players, who could come from other professional leagues or the NCAA. USA Basketball hopes to have the first players selected by the end of December, with perhaps two or three more in early February.

Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-2002, 03:09 PM   #2
southern_sweets
Diamond Member

southern_sweets will become famous soon enoughsouthern_sweets will become famous soon enough

I think it's great too.
Shaq should not even be invited to play. He somehow thinks that he should decide who coaches the U.S. team. Wrong! The team will be great w/out Shaq. The interested players list will likely grow and hopefully include Finley. He belongs on Team USA.
southern_sweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2002, 04:22 PM   #3
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

This is a great move. Larry Brown is one of the greatest coaches (although he seems to have problems in his relationships with players. Plus, he is a disciple of Dean.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2002, 04:33 PM   #4
senorfrog

senorfrog is on a distinguished road

WTF? What's wrong with Hube?