Old 06-21-2010, 09:50 PM   #1
dayman

dayman will become famous soon enough
Default dallas could move into middle of first round

Source: Mavericks could trade into middle of 1st round
08:46 PM CDT on Monday, June 21, 2010

By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News
esefko@dallasnews.com
While the Mavericks are making a concerted effort to move up in Thursday's NBA draft, they are not limiting their pursuit to merely improving their second-round position.

There is a possibility the Mavericks could wiggle into the middle of the first round, a league source said, because there are teams drafting in that area that might relinquish their pick if they can get rid of a salaried player with it.

The intent for those teams would be to get salary cap relief to perhaps be stronger players in the free-agent frenzy that begins July 1, or to avoid paying any luxury tax.

For instance, the source said, if the Mavericks were willing to take a player back, it would be a financial windfall for the other team and net the Mavericks a pick and a player. The player coming to the Mavericks would have to fit into their trade exception (about $2.4 million) acquired in the Kris Humphries trade with New Jersey last season.

If such a move gets the Mavericks into the top 20, it's an area that could produce value in a relatively deep draft. Currently, they own only the No. 50 overall pick.

"We're active as always and we're in the mix on a number of situations," president Donnie Nelson said without getting into any specifics. "If the opportunity presents itself, we'll squeeze the trigger."

Another scenario is that the Mavericks could buy their way into the early portion of the second round. Several teams are considering this avenue because, while it could cost as much as $1.5 million, it still would be cheaper than trying to get into the first round because a second-round pick does not require a two- or three-year commitment.

There's a sizeable difference most seasons between picking in the first round and in the second. However, many talent evaluators believe the depth in this year's draft means that the first 10 picks of the second round could be equal in talent to the last 10 picks of the first round.

Even last season, the second round was productive. Of the 30 players chosen in the 2009 second round, 17 played in the NBA and 11 others still have their rights owned by NBA teams. Only two – Goran Suton (50th) and Jack McClinton (51st) – were cut in training camp.

The Mavericks have not hit on a second-round draft pick since Greg Buckner in 1998. However, they have had good luck late in the first round with picks such as Josh Howard and Roddy Beaubois.

What to expect at No. 50

If the Mavericks stay put with the 50th overall pick, here's the sort of players they could get.

Players taken with the 50th pick in the last five drafts.

Year Player Ht. School
2009 Goran Suton 6-10 Michigan St.
Comment: Yugoslavian played last season in Russia
2008 DeVon Hardin 6-11 California
Comment: No NBA experience, but played in the D-League
2007 Renaldas Seibutis 6-5 Lithuania
Comment: Been in Spain since Mavs drafted him
2006 Ryan Hollins 7-0 UCLA
Comment: Has bounced around the league as a stopgap center
2005 Ryan Gomes 6-7 Providence
Comment: A fairly solid career playing for poor teams

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...e.109ea24.html
I'm a man who discovered the wheel and built the Eiffel Tower out of metal and brawn. That's what kind of man I am. You're just a woman with a small brain. With a brain a third the size of us...... It's science.
dayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-2010, 09:57 AM   #2
KINGBEEF

KINGBEEF is a jewel in the roughKINGBEEF is a jewel in the roughKINGBEEF is a jewel in the rough

wow... whatever it takes to get Lebron out of Cleveland huh!!! So i'm quite sure that 4 or 5 players will be headed to Cleveland from the Mavs now. Whomever they draft plus, Humphries if they take him back. My question is can we throw Matty Carroll in that bowl of cereal to Cleveland?
Old 06-22-2010, 12:22 PM   #3
young_gunner

young_gunner has a little shameless behaviour in the past

humphries is a net. or have i missed something this offseason..
young_gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 12:31 PM   #4
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by young_gunner View Post
humphries is a net. or have i missed something this offseason..
The Nets had a trade exception, we were able to get a newly created trade exception for Humphries salary. In reality, it was 2 trades with the Nets, we shipped Shawne williams for Najera and then we shipped Humphries for their exception.
Kidd Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 12:47 PM   #5
young_gunner

young_gunner has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidd Karma View Post
The Nets had a trade exception, we were able to get a newly created trade exception for Humphries salary. In reality, it was 2 trades with the Nets, we shipped Shawne williams for Najera and then we shipped Humphries for their exception.

Understood. thanks for the breakdown.

and ive only read of miami willing to move down or trade. could there be a c/pf available worth Trading up for?
young_gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 01:27 PM   #6
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by young_gunner View Post
Understood. thanks for the breakdown.

and ive only read of miami willing to move down or trade. could there be a c/pf available worth Trading up for?
Could be nice if a big drops, but right now, Mavs got to start thinking about the future, wings, bigs, points, best available. Roddy was a good start in that direction.....lots of rumors flying around. Minny wanted to move 16 and 23 to get to Indy's 10. Indy using the pick as bait for a point guard. Minny turned down Flynn for the 10. SA interested in Ed Davis, talked with Indy early on about the 10.
Old 06-22-2010, 02:09 PM   #7
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Wolves shipped the 16th pick in the first round to Memphis for the 25th and 28th picks.
Old 06-22-2010, 06:41 PM   #8
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Heat would sell #18 for a TE so they can sign 2 other guys beside Wade.

Worthy to screw maybe with our dust?
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 07:58 PM   #9
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

I had a breakdown of cheap targets on this blog.
http://www.mavsmoneyball.com/2010/6/...s-be-moving-up

Miami and Chicago are the two teams I saw articles openly saying they're looking to shop their picks.
Old 06-22-2010, 11:49 PM   #10
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

I'm enjoying the rumors flying around, but I have a hard time seeing Dallas getting anything done with Miami or Chicago prior to the free agent signing period. By helping either team get additional cap room they strengthen the hand of a competitor in the free agent market, so it would only be in Dallas' interest to do so if they could secure the kind of youthful talent that: a) makes Dallas a more attractive destination for a top-tier free agent, or b) gives Dallas more pieces to use in a S&T for one of the top free agents. In either case, Miami and Chicago would figure to be as reluctant to help out the Mavs as the Mavs should be to help them.

Of course, once the top-tier guys start making their choices the whole game changes, but until then I just don't see Dallas doing much business with the team's that are going to be players in the Lebron/Wade/Bosh derby.
Old 06-23-2010, 12:54 AM   #11
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Very true, but the fact there there are multiple teams helps strengthen the chances they can still get something done and not have to involve themselves with those teams that are major players this summer.
Old 06-23-2010, 01:02 AM   #12
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

If we wait for the free agent chips to start falling it'll be too late to take advantage of a team desperate to dump a pick. No way I'd pass up a chance to add a good young player just to avoid helping Miami or Chicago. Just like with Dallas if a player wants to go there he's going and they'll find a way to make it work.

You aren't stopping anything just making it a bit more difficult. Actually if another team buys the pick you aren't even doing that.
Old 06-23-2010, 01:14 AM   #13
BGMaverick9
Guru

They can easily see their roster in either form:

Big Fish FA - look at what we got and we've still got a ton of talent
Nothing major - patience is the key, this unit only came together in feb, give it time.

If they really don't think a big star is coming, trading for the pick is a no-brainer IMO. Even if they DO they can, it still seems like a solid idea. If we're bringing in a guy below 3 million, sure it takes a hit LT wise, but they can easily cut the guy and free up the roster space. It's just so low risk with high reward with this situation.

If you're afraid of dealing with Miami, Houston, or Chicago do what I said in my article: Talk to New Orleans, talk to Memphis, Minnesota, Atlanta...there are plenty of options.
Old 06-23-2010, 10:59 AM   #14
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirno2000 View Post
If we wait for the free agent chips to start falling it'll be too late to take advantage of a team desperate to dump a pick. No way I'd pass up a chance to add a good young player just to avoid helping Miami or Chicago. Just like with Dallas if a player wants to go there he's going and they'll find a way to make it work.

You aren't stopping anything just making it a bit more difficult. Actually if another team buys the pick you aren't even doing that.
I'm not saying Dallas should fail to make a trade into the first round if they're getting good enough value in the trade (quite the opposite since I went to the trouble of listing reasons why a trade up into the first round could be beneficial) . I'm just saying that they've got incentive to be choosy when it comes to teams like Miami and Chicago, and that teams like Miami and Chicago have incentive to not help Dallas build a stronger foundation for luring and securing FAs via S&T when there are other options for creating cap room. Further taking into consideration BG's point that there are likely to be other available picks (not to mention other teams looking to trade up), the perspective that the odds in favor of a Dallas/Chicago or Dallas/Miami draft-day swap are somewhat lessened seems pretty unspectacular to me.
Old 06-23-2010, 11:08 AM   #15
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by grndmstr_c View Post
I'm not saying Dallas should fail to make a trade into the first round if they're getting good enough value in the trade (quite the opposite since I went to the trouble of listing reasons why a trade up into the first round could be beneficial) . I'm just saying that they've got incentive to be choosy when it comes to teams like Miami and Chicago, and that teams like Miami and Chicago have incentive to not help Dallas build a stronger foundation for luring and securing FAs via S&T when there are other options for creating cap room. Further taking into consideration BG's point that there are likely to be other available picks (not to mention other teams looking to trade up), the perspective that the odds in favor of a Dallas/Chicago or Dallas/Miami draft-day swap are somewhat lessened seems pretty unspectacular to me.
The angle I'm not entirely sure of is whether we are in the minority with teams that actually wanna move up. How many teams are willing to take on salary with the incoming player AND the draft pick's salary? I know the rookie's salary isn't massive right away, but if you're in LT-mode it's going to be a hit.
Old 06-23-2010, 06:00 PM   #16
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_yl...dertrade062310

OK City gets #18 from Miami along with Daequan Cook at 2.1 million for the 32nd pick.
Old 06-23-2010, 08:06 PM   #17
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

Wow, so the Thunder now have three first round picks (18, 21, and 26) as well as a second rounder (51). I can definitely see them putting some kind of package together for an immediate impact player or to move way up in the draft. Presti is doing a pretty good job over there.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 09:47 PM   #18
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

Latest report has the Thunder talking with Indiana about a trade involving Eric Maynor and Oklahoma's #18 and #21 picks for Indiana's #10 pick. That could turn out pretty nice for OKC.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

Old 06-24-2010, 12:33 AM   #19
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkenstien View Post
Latest report has the Thunder talking with Indiana about a trade involving Eric Maynor and Oklahoma's #18 and #21 picks for Indiana's #10 pick. That could turn out pretty nice for OKC.
O.K.C has depth they need a legit starting big, Aldrich, Monroe, or Davis could all be there at 10
mavs777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 01:20 AM   #20
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavs777 View Post
O.K.C has depth they need a legit starting big, Aldrich, Monroe, or Davis could all be there at 10
or maybe as a long shot Whiteside. i think Monroe and Davis are gone by 10
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 01:24 AM   #21
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

if they do that maybe we can swing a deal with them for B.J. Mullens. i hear he's like a cross between Dirk,KG and Amare. or something
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 09:18 AM   #22
Mav Addict
Golden Member

Mav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud of

BJ Mullens is garbage...the Mavs traded him on draft day for Roddy B

If Mullens was a cross between those players, I think the Mavs would have kept him instead of trading for umproven French guy who never even played in college

I would'nt even trade JJ for him..

now I would trade Carroll for Mullens

Last edited by Mav Addict; 06-24-2010 at 09:20 AM.
Mav Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 09:33 AM   #23
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac222b View Post
if they do that maybe we can swing a deal with them for B.J. Mullens. i hear he's like a cross between Dirk,KG and Amare. or something
I think I see what you did there.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 10:14 AM   #24
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

It's scary to think OKC could have drafted Tyreke Evans (intsead of Harden) as well as Robo. Their back court would have been absolutely stacked.

Old 06-24-2010, 12:44 PM   #25
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkenstien View Post
Wow, so the Thunder now have three first round picks (18, 21, and 26) as well as a second rounder (51). I can definitely see them putting some kind of package together for an immediate impact player or to move way up in the draft. Presti is doing a pretty good job over there.
Hearing they're moving up for Hayward. Presti's from the school of Popovich.
Old 06-24-2010, 06:01 PM   #26
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac222b View Post
or maybe as a long shot Whiteside. i think Monroe and Davis are gone by 10
Whiteside has had horrible workouts his stock has plumuted quite a bit probably someone in the 20s will take him, upside is there but he is a huge project that won't give you really anything the first 2-3 years
mavs777 is offline   Reply With Quote