Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 12-09-2010, 09:36 AM   #1
Thomas86
Golden Member

Thomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to all
Default Blazers Fire Sale?

Quote:
With the Trail Blazers' obvious struggles and the health challenges (that's putting it mildly) of Greg Oden and Brandon Roy, two people with knowledge of the team's strategy told CBSSports.com that Portland management is contemplating trading older players and going young. The obvious targets for such a purge would be Marcus Camby (36), Andre Miller (34), and Joel Przybilla (31). Roy isn’t old, but his knees are -- though one of the sources said Portland would find no takers for the five years and $82.3 million remaining on Roy's contract, given the state of his meniscus-less knees. Przybilla ($7.4 million expiring contract) and Miller (whose $7.8 million salary in 2011-12 is fully non-guaranteed) are eminently moveable. Another candidate to be dealt, though not because of age or health, is Rudy Fernandez, who has wanted out of Portland for some time. Sources caution that the Blazers have engaged in only internal conversations about this strategy, and it is contingent upon the team (10-11) continuing to struggle. But the writing certainly is on the wall for major changes in Portland.
http://ken-berger.blogs.cbssports.co...=rss_blogs_NBA

I wouldn't mind having Przybilla if he can stay healthy.
Thomas86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-2010, 09:42 AM   #2
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas86 View Post
http://ken-berger.blogs.cbssports.co...=rss_blogs_NBA

I wouldn't mind having Przybilla if he can stay healthy.
I wouldn't either in theory, though I WOULD mind having 5 centers on the roster (assuming they wouldn't trade him for Haywood). Who could we even trade to Portland that would land us Pryz?

In a general way, I don't think Portland can trade much to us that we would be able to use right away (assuming we wouldn't be able to get Rudy F for next to nothing). That roster is a MESS and I doubt they'd want any of our long-term deals.

Pass.
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 10:07 AM   #3
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Wait, aren't the Blazers the next up-and-coming contender in this league?

I swear I've been hearing that for years now...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 12-09-2010 at 10:08 AM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 11:00 AM   #4
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Can they get around the BYC for Roy?
Would he be worth it in the long run....NO...but would he be healthy enough for the rest of Dirks years to be that "other" guy needed?

Could you move Caron & JJB & ???? for Roy?

Would it put the Mavs over the top?

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 11:36 AM   #5
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

Roy is super done.

I don't like most of their players (or don't know much about them).

What I would try to do is offload Haywood's bad contract for some of their contracts/talent, probably starting with Camby. The upside of Haywood for them is to have a starting-calibre five who could be productive for the next 3-4 years while they re-tool. Camby would slide into the backup 4/5 role and also is an expiring next year. Probably would free up cash long-term for Chandler as well. The numbers don't quite match so we would probably have to send a mix Stevenson/JJB/Ajinca/DoJo and take on another iffy deal.

watch your thoughts, they become your words
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 12:35 PM   #6
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

a bad 18 games and roy is done? He can still ball plus all defensive attention goes to him. Either way they won't trade him. I wouldn't mind Andre Miller
mavs777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 12:36 PM   #7
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitproof View Post
Roy is super done.

I don't like most of their players (or don't know much about them).

What I would try to do is offload Haywood's bad contract for some of their contracts/talent, probably starting with Camby. The upside of Haywood for them is to have a starting-calibre five who could be productive for the next 3-4 years while they re-tool. Camby would slide into the backup 4/5 role and also is an expiring next year. Probably would free up cash long-term for Chandler as well. The numbers don't quite match so we would probably have to send a mix Stevenson/JJB/Ajinca/DoJo and take on another iffy deal.
Apparently you don't know what a fire sale is They would be doing this to cut cap
Old 12-09-2010, 03:15 PM   #8
dalger
Golden Member

dalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant future

JJB/Stevenson for Miller works financially and would be something that looks decent on paper.
dalger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 03:46 PM   #9
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavs777 View Post
a bad 18 games and roy is done? He can still ball plus all defensive attention goes to him.
Do you not understand that Roy has no meniscus left in either of his knees?

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 05:00 PM   #10
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
I was literally going to post this exact same sentence.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 05:05 PM   #11
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

I can see an argument for Miller as an upgrade at backup PG over JJB. Rudy'd still interest me if he could be acquired on the cheap (banking on a change of scenery to bring his game back around). I can't image that Dallas would be willing to offer anything better than the likes of JJB/Stevenson/DoJo/Novak for those guys, though, so color me skeptical that the two teams will find any common trade ground.
Old 12-09-2010, 05:24 PM   #12
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavs777 View Post
Apparently you don't know what a fire sale is They would be doing this to cut cap
Yeah.. if they send back Camby and another bad contract for Wood and some expiring, they could still net out ahead.

EDIT
To expound on that, it could be

Camby (18)
Matthews (33)
Babbit (3)
NET 54

for

Wood (40)
Stevenson (4)
JJB/Dojo (2)
NET 46

Can make it in two separate deals and send another 3-6MIL. I would probably hold out on first rounders.

Portland gets:
-About 10M in savings overall with about 6M in expiring.
-Starting calibre center.
-Maybe a young talent or two.

For Dallas, you get:
- Very good defensive center while clearing the amount of future cap devoted to the center position to put towards Chandler. Camby would probably do well with 25mpg a game.
- A 10M expiring next year.
- 24 yo athletic SG who plays good D and shoots alright to play next to Roddy for the next 5 years.

If Dallas feels greedy, swap out Babbit for Rudy or Dojo/JJB for Novak.

watch your thoughts, they become your words

Last edited by rabbitproof; 12-09-2010 at 05:42 PM.
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 06:01 PM   #13
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluid.forty.one View Post
I was literally going to post this exact same sentence.
I would rep you if I could.

Old 12-09-2010, 08:25 PM   #14
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

i dont see Portland doing any straight salary dumps, as Paul Allen is richer than... most people.
still if they wanted to unload A. Miller or Camby on the cheap then by all means do it. no way they're parting with Wes Matthews though.
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 08:52 PM   #15
mavs777
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grndmstr_c View Post
I can see an argument for Miller as an upgrade at backup PG over JJB. Rudy'd still interest me if he could be acquired on the cheap (banking on a change of scenery to bring his game back around). I can't image that Dallas would be willing to offer anything better than the likes of JJB/Stevenson/DoJo/Novak for those guys, though, so color me skeptical that the two teams will find any common trade ground.
If Roddy comes back healthy there is no use for Rudy
Old 12-10-2010, 12:07 PM   #16
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
I do understand. I also understand that Roy is still averaging 35.5 minutes a game this year.

10-11 POR 19 35.5 41.1 90.3 36.7 3.0 2.8 1.1 0.5 17.7

He is averaging 17.7 pts.

I also realize that Dirk and Kidd are probably not going to have more than 5 years left in the league.

While Roys contract is horrid --- since he has no meniscus left in the knees, he will probably not play more than a few more years. Maybe only playing him 25 minutes a game would help extend it.

The question is --- will Portland move him because of his bad knees for next to nothing (basically give him away)...... and if so, will he hold up long enough to put the team over the top.

Let's face it -- Roy would be the best SG this team has seen since Ro (maybe better and my apologies to Fin in his prime).

Kidd, Roy, Marion, Dirk, Chandler --- would be very tough.
If you could get Camby and Fernandez without giving up Terry, or Roddy -- then you could end up with a lineup:

Kidd, Roy, Marion, Dirk, Chandler
Terry, Roddy, Fernandez, Camby

Stacked with starters and backups come playoff time.

**** Admittedly this is a total Win Now mentality with a massive blow up in a few years.

Roy's BYC seems to kill everything though -- at least making it tough.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson

Last edited by dalmations202; 12-10-2010 at 12:09 PM.
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 02:20 PM   #17
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

umm Dalm. You're usually spot on but I just can't agree with you here.

Not only is Roy going to get worse from here on out, he's not even better (or that much better, depending on what stats you think are important) than JET right now.

Roy: 17.7 ppg on 41% shooting, 3 rebounds, 2.8 assists, 1 steal, 1.6 turnovers in 35 mpg

Terry: 16.1 ppg on 46% shooting, 2 rebounds, 4.5 assists, 1.7 steals and 2 turnovers in 32 mpg

I also love what Stevenson is bringing with his minutes. Exactly what we need.

This is also assuming that Roddy isn't going to come in and out produce Terry (and, therefore, Roy) when he comes back.

I also don't think we need Canby and your lineup only has room for all those SGs if you move Terry to the PG and cut out Barea, which isn't going to happen.

______

edit: I don't think you realize how much Roy has regressed. Maybe a year or two ago he might be the best SG we've had since Ro but it's insulting to compare him to Fin now. I watch him on a nightly basis here in Portland and he is almost hard to watch. His 41% shooting isn't a fluke.. he just doesn't have it anymore, and he is only going to get worse. His defense has become atrocious as well because of his knees.

Last edited by fluid.forty.one; 12-10-2010 at 02:22 PM.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 02:21 PM   #18
41mvp
Golden Member

41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice

I think Roy isn't good player for our team.Now we have the best roster,we win 11 games.Now our team is complete.I think any roster changes are the worst idea for us.

No one loves Dirk any more than I do
MY HEART-WHERE DIRK NOWITZKI IS AND ALWAYS WILL BE AN ALL-STAR
41mvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 05:48 PM   #19
LonghornDub

What Fluid said. You're offbase on this one, dalm. Roy is at career lows in almost every notable statistic, and he's only going to get worse with more years. Not worth it.

Old 12-11-2010, 12:23 PM   #20
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Wait, aren't the Blazers the next up-and-coming contender in this league?

I swear I've been hearing that for years now...
Yeah but the Thunder are now younger and much more cool, so all the kiddies and media jumped off the Blazers and on the Thunder bandwagon.
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote