Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 10-06-2010, 09:29 PM   #1
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute
Default The Agent Formerly Known As Agent Zero

How washed up is he? He also is coming off serially depressed... talking about show Wall some ropes and cutting from Washington.

Would he qualify as the "asset" worth getting for say Chandler or Butler's contract? Yeah, he's been a nut, mostly MIA for the last three seasons and has an albatross contract but if we can put off toking on the Melo/CP3/DWill pipe, what are some legit options to get Dirk some superstar legit Robin help? Gilbert has atleast been an All-NBA guy and is still only 28. Lots of trade scenarios and it depends on his performance level but if he's still 80% of he was three years ago, I'm about it.

The trade precedent is there and the Wiz also have some assets that may be worth a gander (Blatche, Thorton, Yi, 2011's pick).

Thoughts?

watch your thoughts, they become your words
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-2010, 09:40 PM   #2
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

Absolutely not. I don't want gun-toting chuckers with toxic contracts and attitudes on my team. I would lose a LOT of respect for the organization if they ever touched Arenas.
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 10:18 AM   #3
bobatundi
Golden Member

bobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond repute

I was just contemplating this one myself. Given how uninspired Haywood's play has been in the preseason--and dating back to his "I just work here" comment last season--plus the really strong play of Chandler, Mahinmi & Ajinca, I'm starting to wonder if we shouldn't just dump him while we can. Butler, too, just doesn't seem to be living up to expectations. So how about this:

Butler + Haywood

for

Arenas + cash/picks

The Wiz do it to get a real center and to get Caron's expiring (back). They hopefully throw in cash or picks given that we'd be saving them $30MM over the life of the contracts.

Why might the Mavs do it?

Putting aside for the moment his injury and gun problems (I know, hard to do)--Arenas was, a few years back, one of the top offensive guards in the NBA. If he could return to that form--perhaps in a new setting?--he'd be a nice fit for our continuing lack of (a) a #2 scorer, and (b) a starting 2. I think a healthy Arenas could start alongside Kidd, playing the 2 on offense, and the 1 on defense (since he's got the quickness to guard 1s, while Kidd has the size to defend 2s). Also completely solves the backup PG concern. You then have Terry as your third guard, eventually giving way to Roddy B once he's healthy. With Caron gone, Marion is firmly entrenched at the starting 3, with DoJo picking up minutes at both wing spots.

Given how down I am on Butler & Haywood right now, I view this as a deal with HUGE basketball upside, compared to $30MM of Cuban cash over five years as the downside--a bet I think I'd be willing to take, especially since it's likely that some of that incremental $30MM we'd be spending is going to get spent anyway on trying to upgrade the 2 spot and/or replace Kidd, depending on how Roddy develops and where the Mavs decide to play him.

Maybe I'm just suffering from sleep deprivation though--I haven't seen Haywood in person in quite some time, so maybe he's contributing more intangibles than his stat lines would indicate. But from where I'm sitting, Tyson Chandler looks like he should be the starter, with the two French kids duking it out for backup minutes.
bobatundi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 03:34 PM   #4
FromDownTown!

FromDownTown! is just really niceFromDownTown! is just really niceFromDownTown! is just really niceFromDownTown! is just really niceFromDownTown! is just really niceFromDownTown! is just really nice

I agree...I also believe his latest comments were only to give their front office reasons to put him on the trade block. No way can he be that clueless.
FromDownTown! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 04:14 PM   #5
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

If he thinks a public spat with his team is going to help him get traded, he really must be THAT clueless.
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 05:24 PM   #6
wilmtalk

wilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by [QUOTE
bobatundi;1116890].-------------------, with the two French kids duking it out for backup minutes
.[/QUOTE]

It's good to see some decent younger post players with upsides given a chance to develop. that is what has been lacking on this team for some time. Sometimes these youngsters could even develop into stars.
wilmtalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 05:36 PM   #7
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobatundi View Post
Why might the Mavs do it?

Putting aside for the moment his injury and gun problems (I know, hard to do)--Arenas was, a few years back, one of the top offensive guards in the NBA. If he could return to that form--perhaps in a new setting?--he'd be a nice fit for our continuing lack of (a) a #2 scorer, and (b) a starting 2. I think a healthy Arenas could start alongside Kidd, playing the 2 on offense, and the 1 on defense (since he's got the quickness to guard 1s, while Kidd has the size to defend 2s). Also completely solves the backup PG concern. You then have Terry as your third guard, eventually giving way to Roddy B once he's healthy. With Caron gone, Marion is firmly entrenched at the starting 3, with DoJo picking up minutes at both wing spots.

Given how down I am on Butler & Haywood right now, I view this as a deal with HUGE basketball upside, compared to $30MM of Cuban cash over five years as the downside--a bet I think I'd be willing to take, especially since it's likely that some of that incremental $30MM we'd be spending is going to get spent anyway on trying to upgrade the 2 spot and/or replace Kidd, depending on how Roddy develops and where the Mavs decide to play him.

Maybe I'm just suffering from sleep deprivation though--I haven't seen Haywood in person in quite some time, so maybe he's contributing more intangibles than his stat lines would indicate. But from where I'm sitting, Tyson Chandler looks like he should be the starter, with the two French kids duking it out for backup minutes.
The bold says it all. There are some flaws we hate about the guys who have been trying to be the #2 behind Dirk, we really haven't had to deal with the trust issues and circus that would be included when it comes to Gilbert Arenas.

It's essentially 20 mil/year for the next 4...FOUR years. That's way too much of an investment for someone as foolish as Arenas.
Old 10-14-2010, 11:05 PM   #8
Zki41

Zki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to all

Since the Wizards need someone to train Wall ... would you do Kidd + filler for Arenas?
Zki41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 11:15 PM   #9
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

I would go get arenas. We aren't going anywhere the way we are constructed.

Of course I would also have done bdiddy+kaman for jkiddo.
AlJefferson..

But that's just me, who am I to argue wiht 50x10?
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 12:12 AM   #10
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Arenas is a damn good basketball player. Or at least he was. I dunno what he is anymore, other than a freakshow of misbehavior.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 12:17 PM   #11
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Not quite desperate enough for Arenas to be a Mav. So for now I say :

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 01:36 PM   #12
2k mavs

2k mavs is infamous around these parts

the mavs need to do something and soon their offense at times look horrible and if they had an explosive scorer like arenas it would solve some problems ive watched him this preseason he looks good
2k mavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 02:24 PM   #13
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, but you can't deactivate and turn him off as soon as he steps off the court.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 08:36 PM   #14
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

uhh..didn't arenas get fined by the wizards for faking an injury? I'm pretty sure this is true. lol
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 08:37 PM   #15
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

lmao....

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5681425
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 08:46 PM   #16
tcat075
Diamond Member

tcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond repute

Old news. Well...a couple days old, at least.
tcat075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 08:42 AM   #17
bobatundi
Golden Member

bobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond repute

Arenas definitely has something wrong upstairs...but I also suspect the whole faked-injury thing is just part of a strategy to get shipped out of Washington. Hell, the more stupid stuff he does like that, the cheaper he'll be via trade.

I still say go for it. Don't give up much, and get a ton of upside. Isn't that better than starting Jason Terry at the 2?
bobatundi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 12:39 PM   #18
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

not sure Arenas can consistently bring it every night anymore. he's had alot of injuries.
and in a year or two Roddy could be just as good. we need a slashing wing w/size. not another undersized shooting-guard.

Last edited by mac222b; 10-20-2010 at 12:40 PM.
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 09:04 PM   #19
2k mavs

2k mavs is infamous around these parts

well all this talk about areanas who says the mavs could get him anyway
2k mavs is offline   Reply With Quote