Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 11-02-2010, 08:12 PM   #1
AO41
Platinum Member

AO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud of
Default Payroll might mean Smith trade for ATL

I read somwhere that because of their payroll ATL might have to trade Smith. Crawford is not happy that he didnt receive an extensions...soooo what about??

Smith
Crawford

FOR

Butler
JET (hard choice for me because I like Jet..but this seems to make sense)

ATL gets starting SF and good 6th mann

DAL gets good athletic SF/PF and good scoring G that can play back up PG

Kidd/ Crawford/ Roddy
Crawford/ Roddy
Smith/ Marion
Dirk/ Smith
Chandler/ Haywood
Old 11-02-2010, 11:11 PM   #2
KillerLeft

KillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by AO41 View Post
I read somwhere that because of their payroll ATL might have to trade Smith. Crawford is not happy that he didnt receive an extensions...soooo what about??

Smith
Crawford

FOR

Butler
JET (hard choice for me because I like Jet..but this seems to make sense)

ATL gets starting SF and good 6th mann

DAL gets good athletic SF/PF and good scoring G that can play back up PG

Kidd/ Crawford/ Roddy
Crawford/ Roddy
Smith/ Marion
Dirk/ Smith
Chandler/ Haywood
I suppose it's possible that Atlanta will decide to move Smith to decrease their payroll. However, if they do that, there is NO POSSIBILITY that they'll take Terry's money back in exchange.

Personally, I don't see why they would spend for Johnson if they didn't have a financial plan in place to keep their core together. I doubt Smith moves anytime soon.

Last edited by KillerLeft; 11-02-2010 at 11:12 PM.
KillerLeft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 03:44 AM   #3
41mvp
Golden Member

41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice

This will be good trade for us.But I can't see Smith on the bench.He must plays in first lineup.

No one loves Dirk any more than I do
MY HEART-WHERE DIRK NOWITZKI IS AND ALWAYS WILL BE AN ALL-STAR
41mvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 07:37 AM   #4
tcat075
Diamond Member

tcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41mvp View Post
This will be good trade for us.But I can't see Smith on the bench.He must plays in first lineup.
I appreciate the capitalization. Can you please start putting a space after your periods? Thanks.
tcat075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 07:38 AM   #5
tcat075
Diamond Member

tcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerLeft View Post
I suppose it's possible that Atlanta will decide to move Smith to decrease their payroll. However, if they do that, there is NO POSSIBILITY that they'll take Terry's money back in exchange.

Personally, I don't see why they would spend for Johnson if they didn't have a financial plan in place to keep their core together. I doubt Smith moves anytime soon.
While I think your right, isn't Terry's contract about to expire next year?
Old 11-03-2010, 08:25 AM   #6
41mvp
Golden Member

41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcat075 View Post
I appreciate the capitalization. Can you please start putting a space after your periods? Thanks.
No I can't

Old 11-03-2010, 08:27 AM   #7
KillerLeft

KillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant future

Quote:
While I think your right, isn't Terry's contract about to expire next year?
Yes, after next season. However, Crawford's deal expires after this season, and his deal is just as big as Smith's believe it or not. Plus, Smith's deal would expire the following season, so it's not like Atlanta would be getting out from under $40 million or something crazy.

Basically, the deal proposed by the OP is for Atlanta to give up Smith and Crawford, 2 of their top 4 players who are young and popular, for Butler and Terry, whose better days are behind them. Then, they're supposed to just let Butler expire this summer (which they could just as easily do with Crawford) and Terry the next...and get nothing in return? And the best part is that all Atlanta would save in this deal is a whopping $13.2 million (Smith's last year).

This would go down as one of the worst trades in history (for Atlanta). It makes no sense for the team or it's accounting division, because it makes them worse on the court and fails to improve their payroll situation.

BTW, if the Hawks want to salary dump Smith, and I don't think they do, a Mavs package would have to start with Butler + a young, cheap talent (either Roddy or DoJo or BOTH) + some picks to be considered. Any other players included by Atlanta would be other contracts they wanted to dump, not usable players like Crawford. That's how salary dumps work - like "reset" buttons for the franchise.

Why would Atlanta max out Johnson and then push the reset button during the very next season?
Old 11-03-2010, 11:10 AM   #8
nowhereman
Diamond Member

nowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond repute

It's gonna take a hell of a lot more than Terry and Butler.

Quote:
RT @TyLawson3 Good game between Dallas and Portland. Good thing we didn't end up getting Dallas. Coach Karl lost his mind.
nowhereman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 11:28 AM   #9
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

It was a bs article after the Horford-extension probably just for the god sake to write a damn article.

They wont dump Smith, they just wont resign Crawford and hope that Teague can step up next season and deliver more scoring.
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 06:27 PM   #10
Spurred1

Spurred1 is a name known to allSpurred1 is a name known to allSpurred1 is a name known to allSpurred1 is a name known to allSpurred1 is a name known to allSpurred1 is a name known to allSpurred1 is a name known to allSpurred1 is a name known to allSpurred1 is a name known to all

I'm guessing Atlanta is paying the big bucks so they can keep their young core together to continue developing. So I doubt Smith is available.
Spurred1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 06:40 PM   #11
tcat075
Diamond Member

Quote:
Yes, after next season. However, Crawford's deal expires after this season, and his deal is just as big as Smith's believe it or not. Plus, Smith's deal would expire the following season, so it's not like Atlanta would be getting out from under $40 million or something crazy.

Basically, the deal proposed by the OP is for Atlanta to give up Smith and Crawford, 2 of their top 4 players who are young and popular, for Butler and Terry, whose better days are behind them. Then, they're supposed to just let Butler expire this summer (which they could just as easily do with Crawford) and Terry the next...and get nothing in return? And the best part is that all Atlanta would save in this deal is a whopping $13.2 million (Smith's last year).

This would go down as one of the worst trades in history (for Atlanta). It makes no sense for the team or it's accounting division, because it makes them worse on the court and fails to improve their payroll situation.

BTW, if the Hawks want to salary dump Smith, and I don't think they do, a Mavs package would have to start with Butler + a young, cheap talent (either Roddy or DoJo or BOTH) + some picks to be considered. Any other players included by Atlanta would be other contracts they wanted to dump, not usable players like Crawford. That's how salary dumps work - like "reset" buttons for the franchise.

Why would Atlanta max out Johnson and then push the reset button during the very next season?
OK, cool, just wanted some clarification.
Old 11-03-2010, 06:41 PM   #12
tcat075
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41mvp View Post
No I can't
I wasn't trying to make fun of you, I was actually being serious. If you don't put the space, everything just blends together and makes it hard to read. I understand that you can't just fix grammar like that, but adding a simple space shouldn't be too hard.
Old 11-03-2010, 06:52 PM   #13
KillerLeft

Quote:
OK, cool, just wanted some clarification.
Oh, yeah, no worries. The longer I follow the league, the more interested I get in the financial side of it. I love talking NBA payrolls, salary cap, etc.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:41 PM   #14
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Oh, yeah, no worries. The longer I follow the league, the more interested I get in the financial side of it. I love talking NBA payrolls, salary cap, etc.
Thank goodness for David Lord, right?

(he turned me into a cap junkie too!)

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 10:20 PM   #15
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

Smith's value is very high and he just doesn't fit well with this team, he is a 3-4 with no outside game, he is a better version than Marion but value is higher than his actual play, so pass
mavs777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 11:20 PM   #16
KillerLeft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Thank goodness for David Lord, right?

(he turned me into a cap junkie too!)
You said it, UD!
Old 11-06-2010, 09:22 PM   #17
JCmasta

JCmasta is a jewel in the roughJCmasta is a jewel in the roughJCmasta is a jewel in the roughJCmasta is a jewel in the roughJCmasta is a jewel in the rough

Not really good at all this stuff but i'd want something similar to this http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=23t52tf

Kidd/Roddy
Butler/JET/DoJo
Smith/Evans
Dirk/Who Cares
Chandler/Haywood

Might take a bit more than that IRL(throw in DoJo?) but i want Marion and JJB gone in whatever trade is made.
JCmasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 07:36 AM   #18
41mvp
Golden Member

Quote:
I wasn't trying to make fun of you, I was actually being serious. If you don't put the space, everything just blends together and makes it hard to read. I understand that you can't just fix grammar like that, but adding a simple space shouldn't be too hard.
I can fix my grammar mistake.You must give me time.
Anyway ATL won 6 games.They aren't stupid.If you think, they sell their the best player.You make big mistake.