Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 11-12-2010, 05:13 PM   #1
Thomas86
Golden Member

Thomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to all
Default Stephen Jackson available?

Quote:
The enigmatic swingman's future with the Bobcats is a tricky read. For multiple reasons.

Besides the two years and $19.3 million left on his contract after this season, which some teams would balk at, Jackson is said to be a favorite of new majority owner Michael Jordan after arriving last November from Golden State and teaming with Gerald Wallace to power the Bobcats into the postseason for the first time in franchise history.

But Larry Brown's fondness for Jackson, by contrast, has been in question since opening night, when the Bobcats' 70-year-old coach stunningly benched his co-captain for the entire fourth quarter of a game in Dallas that was still as close as nine points inside the final six minutes. Jackson fumed after Charlotte's eventual 101-86 defeat -- and there haven't been any repeat benchings -- but one rival GM said Thursday night that he believes the 32-year-old is "gettable" largely because these two strong wills are bound to keep clashing.

Sources told ESPN.com that San Antonio flirted with reacquiring the playoff-tested Jackson during the offseason ... and that Brown didn't oppose Jackson's departure. If that's not a sufficient hint, multiple sources consulted this week told ESPN.com that Wallace is generally regarded as Charlotte's only untouchable.
http://espn.go.com/nba/dailydime/_/p...ly-trade-winds
Thomas86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-2010, 08:34 PM   #2
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

Butler for Jackson straight up
mavs777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 09:58 PM   #3
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavs777 View Post
Butler for Jackson straight up
Just straight at deadline if there isnt any other trade availabe
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 10:24 PM   #4
41mvp
Golden Member

41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice

why not!!!

No one loves Dirk any more than I do
MY HEART-WHERE DIRK NOWITZKI IS AND ALWAYS WILL BE AN ALL-STAR
41mvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 04:27 AM   #5
twistaeffect2004
Diamond Member

twistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant future

I despise his contract. He is a much better fit than Butler though.
Old 11-13-2010, 04:48 AM   #6
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

i don't think his contract is prohibitively bad. in that final year he's your 6th or 7th man. the thing i'd like about having S-Jax is that attitude and his willingness to take and make big shots. reminds me a bit of Stack in that way. also like Stack he can tend to be somewhat trigger happy and jacks up some dumb shots. it's a trade off. if Iggy, or something better, isn't available i'd think you'd have to do it straight up for Caron.
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 12:45 PM   #7
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

if the option is keeping a struggling Butler or swapping for a serviceable SJAX, I'm in.

He is a MUCH better 2 than Butler. Kidd/SJAX/Marion/Dirk/Chandler with Terry, Roddy, and Haywood off the bench is stout.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 01:30 PM   #8
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike View Post
if the option is keeping a struggling Butler or swapping for a serviceable SJAX, I'm in.

He is a MUCH better 2 than Butler. Kidd/SJAX/Marion/Dirk/Chandler with Terry, Roddy, and Haywood off the bench is stout.
I really don't care for Jackson, but I'd make that trade.

I don't know if Cuban would.
Old 11-13-2010, 02:01 PM   #9
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Agreed - I'd do that trade straight-up in a heartbeat.

I think Captain Jack's energy and attitude would fit in better with the new identity that Chandler has injected into the Mavs. He can be just as streaky of a shooter as Butler, but he's far less hesitant to attack the paint and he's actually a pretty good post player against smaller defenders. He's also an excellent perimeter defender and a much better passer than Butler. He's not a great rebounder, but this team is hardly lacking in great rebounders...

Trading for SJax isn't necessarily going to put us over the top, but he might be the best upgrade available and he certainly would make this team better.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 04:36 PM   #10
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post

Trading for SJax isn't necessarily going to put us over the top, but he might be the best upgrade available and he certainly would make this team better.
Then again, sometimes its the unforeseen moves that make the most difference. (Ala the Chandler acquisition).

I could see the addition of SJAX being a huge move to further toughen up this team. The more players the Mavs can have that just won't back down from anyone, the better. The only issue is what does this do to Roddy's minutes?

A line of Kidd/SJAX/Marion/Chandler is suffocating.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 11-13-2010, 06:41 PM   #11
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The only issue is what does this do to Roddy's minutes?
If he can learn to run the point:

Kidd/Roddy
SJax/Terry
Marion/SJax
Dirk/Marion
Chandler/Haywood

That's a squad that could make some noise in the playoffs...

Not that Roddy would be putting all his time in at PG, but we could use him the same way we're currently using Barea - split him at the 1/2, depending on who else is on the court [Kidd/Terry/SJax]. Roddy would be there to provide instant offense when JET goes cold (instead of Barea) and bring defense when JET gets burned (maybe even push Terry for 6th man). He might not be a "starter", but he'd still be a damn fine weapon to throw into the mix.

Last edited by Underdog; 11-13-2010 at 06:44 PM.
Old 11-13-2010, 06:49 PM   #12
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
He might not be a "starter", but he'd still be a damn fine weapon to throw into the mix.
I agree, but I just doubt RC will toss JJ aside upon Roddy's return. RC was a scrappy guy and he likes scrappy guys.

I would love to be able to move two of our good guys (Butler and Terry?) and get back one really good one.

Last edited by sike; 11-13-2010 at 06:54 PM.
Old 11-13-2010, 06:58 PM   #13
Underdog

Quote:
I agree, but I just doubt RC will toss JJ aside upon Roddy's return. RC was a scrappy and he likes scrappy guys.
I was thinking more of a playoff rotation - if you add SJax to the roster, then Roddy should push Barea out of the mix by the end of the season...

(not that I couldn't see Barea, Cardinal or Stevenson being the 9th player in certain matchups...)

Last edited by Underdog; 11-13-2010 at 07:00 PM.
Old 11-13-2010, 07:01 PM   #14
sike
The Preacha

Wink

Quote:
I was thinking more of a playoff rotation - if you add SJax to the roster, then Roddy should push Barea out of the mix by the end of the season...
one can dream.

Old 11-13-2010, 07:13 PM   #15
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Like i said, last day of deadline i do the trade.

Jax has 2/20 left after the season and i prefer to pay him with 32 two years 10 million than giving Butler with 31 his 4 years/35+million.

I dont see a big issue with Roddys minutes. Marion will keep on backing up Dirk, so there should be around 20min at SF available. So it would be around 68min for Jax/Roddy/Terry (and maybe additional PG minutes for either Terry or Roddy).

And since the FA market next summer is pretty lame MLE wise we would/should resign Butler anyway, so we better get Jax.

With Jax we are definatly set like Boston since 2008.
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 02:27 PM   #16
mpb319

mpb319 is a jewel in the roughmpb319 is a jewel in the roughmpb319 is a jewel in the rough

RealGM Trade Checker™