Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 01-28-2016, 06:02 PM   #1
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AO41 View Post
I am most def. irritated with Matthews' play and I think he just tries too hard at time. He is a little out of his element especially when it comes to handling the ball or creating anything.

The difference is he and Parsons were brought in under different expectations. The last 5 game Parsons has been GREAT and has shown why we had high expectations. BUT to me its fools gold and there is no way he will carry this team. Thats why I think we should trade him now...IF we can get a deal that improves the team.

As for Matthews ..we just gave him that contract and he has been terrible. I just think he needs to get back to what he does and thats open 3's and spot up shooting with some good D. He is the ultimate role player and can be a great ft here ...BUT he is not star and thats what he has been pushing himself to be with this new contract.
Wait so Matthews is a role-player and if he is just a role player being paid 16-18m that is fine. Parsons has to be a star tho and carry the team if not we need to trade him? Why does Parsons have to be a "star"? Why can't he be a part of a "core"? Why does a guy being paid more get to have lower expectations?
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 06:48 PM   #2
AO41
Platinum Member

AO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_Wilson View Post
Wait so Matthews is a role-player and if he is just a role player being paid 16-18m that is fine. Parsons has to be a star tho and carry the team if not we need to trade him? Why does Parsons have to be a "star"? Why can't he be a part of a "core"? Why does a guy being paid more get to have lower expectations?
I didn't say it was fine. Neither guy will carry this team. RC like good pint guard and as long as he is here, Parsons will not have the ball in his hands as much as he needs it to be effective.

Matthews can still put up 18ppg without having the ball in his hands.....Parsons cant because hes a different player.

Seeing that parsons is playing really well, I think we can get some quality players that will make the Mavs a better team overall once we get the STAR that can actually help us compete with the top teams in the NBA.
Old 01-28-2016, 07:00 PM   #3
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Matthews can still put up 18ppg without having the ball in his hands.
That's an odd conclusion to come to about a guy who has never averaged over 16.4 PPG, and is currently putting up 12.8 PPG.

I mean, I get your point about Parsons, but trying to juxtapose his scoring ability with Wes isn't working for this argument... Matthews has been somewhat ineffective with or without the ball in his hands.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 01-28-2016 at 07:04 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 08:06 PM   #4
10AMGareDuNord
Banned

10AMGareDuNord will become famous soon enough10AMGareDuNord will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
That's an odd conclusion to come to about a guy who has never averaged over 16.4 PPG, and is currently putting up 12.8 PPG.

I mean, I get your point about Parsons, but trying to juxtapose his scoring ability with Wes isn't working for this argument... Matthews has been somewhat ineffective with or without the ball in his hands.
Yeah, there is literally *zero* chance Matthews averages 18 PPG for the rest of career. (Unless he scores 18 points in a season opener and has a season-ending injury.)

As you said, healthy, Prime Matthews never did that. This one is most likely a 10-15 PPG scorer for the rest of his career. He just has no lift and that doesn't come back. It ruined his very solid post-up game. And he could never drive. Even with the increased cap, he'd have to round back into a 40%+ 3-point shooter to remotely justify that contract...not sure if that will happen.
10AMGareDuNord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 09:28 PM   #5
AO41
Platinum Member

AO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10AMGareDuNord View Post
Yeah, there is literally *zero* chance Matthews averages 18 PPG for the rest of career. (Unless he scores 18 points in a season opener and has a season-ending injury.)

As you said, healthy, Prime Matthews never did that. This one is most likely a 10-15 PPG scorer for the rest of his career. He just has no lift and that doesn't come back. It ruined his very solid post-up game. And he could never drive. Even with the increased cap, he'd have to round back into a 40%+ 3-point shooter to remotely justify that contract...not sure if that will happen.
It would happen if we put the right pieces around him because he is not a star player ...which is what he is trying to be now.

BUT with Parsons you cant even put players around him that result in winning basketball. Because he need the ball all the time but is not a LeBron or KD talent to make everyone much better and so it does not result in the Ws even when he posts solid numbers.
Old 01-29-2016, 12:07 AM   #6
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
It would happen if we put the right pieces around him because he is not a star player ...which is what he is trying to be now.

BUT with Parsons you cant even put players around him that result in winning basketball. Because he need the ball all the time but is not a LeBron or KD talent to make everyone much better and so it does not result in the Ws even when he posts solid numbers.
With all due respect, this is totally asinine. Some people like to create a constant conundrum with regards to Parsons. So he purposefully tries to get his teammates involved while getting healthy and now it's wrong that he has become more selfish to give this team the second star, or perhaps the main star it desperately needs. And I guarantee you he'd still pass the ball to Dirk for the final shot.

The players around him need only to blame themselves for their poor play. I never made an excuse for Parson when he played poorly, and I sure as heck won't make them for Matthews or Williams or whoever is having a bad game.

Last edited by DevinHarriswillstart; 01-29-2016 at 12:08 AM.
DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 09:32 PM   #7
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10AMGareDuNord View Post

I'm holding out hope that he's not 100% healthy, but I do think he'd still be a tradable asset if he could get his shot back up to 37% and continue to contribute decent defense.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 09:25 PM   #8
AO41
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post

I am imagining Matthews in a Jet role with a similarly constructed team. I think if you put Matthews on a team that Ha Kidd and Dirk a few years ago, he could have easily averaged 18 ppg.

BUT my mistake...I put 18ppg and by that I meant numbers similar to Jet or Ellis.

We don't have those guys or guys comparable to them at this time.
Old 01-28-2016, 09:10 PM   #9
TheSportyChannel
Banned

TheSportyChannel will become famous soon enoughTheSportyChannel will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_Wilson View Post
Parson was brought in to become a star player for the mavs and so far he has failed. Even he said he would take the next step with the mavs but so far no luck. He was supposed to be the 2nd leading scorer last year but was 3rd. Supposed to be this year but it is Dwill. Hey I'm disappointed at Matthews but he was brought in to be and 3 and D role guy. Parsons was brought in to be a franchise player but looks like that will never happen. Overall both players are result of Mark Cuban inability to draft. He rather sign a 2nd round pick to a Max then hire scouts and get rookie players for minimal salary. Dirk is still the main guy on this team so making Dirk the 2nd best player has failed. We are currently in year 5 of mediocrity.
TheSportyChannel is offline   Reply With Quote