Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 12-31-2002, 12:07 AM   #1
ÜberDirk
Golden Member

ÜberDirk is on a distinguished road

Only confirms my hate for nellie, spineless worm won't even take his blame!!!!!!!

"Postgame Quotes Dec. 30 vs. Bucks

Related Links
Box Score
Recap
Photo Gallery

Mavs Head Coach Don Nelson Don Nelson

You have to take the good with the bad, I guess. It was a hard fought game. I was very disappointed with our second period. I thought that set the tone for the entire game and it was anybody’s ball game for most of the time after that. Of course we didn’t win it, but we competed hard and my mother said there will be days like this. We played against a team equally able to score. We got beat at our own game. I don’t have any complaints about that. Some performances I have some complaints about, but they came in here and beat us. I didn’t think that was going to happen, but it did. We will go to work tomorrow and see if we can’t find where we threw this thing.

On Raef’s performance:
What performance? He didn’t perform tonight. I played him a lot of minutes the night before and I thought that got him over the hill and there was nothing there. So I thought I would go with Popeye (Jones) and there was nothing there for even a short period of time. I had to go with the regulars most of the way and you saw the fatigue set in towards the end of the game. We spent about everything we had out there. It was tough going. We were still able to win the game, there is no question, all the way until the end, but fatigue was a factor tonight.

On the effect on three point shooting:
I wouldn’t say that necessarily. I thought defensively more than anywhere, loose balls and things like that, is where it shows up. Sometimes in rebounding, all though that was fairly even and they are not a good rebounding team. I thought the way they were able to attack our rim and get easy baskets down the stretch was a nightmare for us.

On Nash’s last 3-point attempt:
There was other parts to that play. I think he made up his mind that he was going to be open and I don’t think he was open. Instead of letting the play dictate, I think he pre-judged that play. That will happen. Certainly nobody is going to blame anybody on a last second shot.

On Raja Bell:
He sprained his ankle tonight. He was a very big positive.

On Raef’s confidence:
I am really tired of hearing about confidence problems. He is a guy who has had enough opportunities to get his game in order and hasn’t. It is time to get it in order and we are going to start tomorrow. There will be no punches pulled anymore. We need him to be an effective player and he hasn’t been. It’s really that simple.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mavs guard Raja Bell Raja Bell

On if he is beginning to feel comfortable in his role with the Mavericks
We’ve had some injuries, and as a reserve in any sport, your job is to play when called upon. I have been trying to give the effort that I know (Don) Nelson wants and expects out of me. That’s really all I am trying to do. I am starting to understand that that is my niche on this team. With the opportunity to play a little more, I am starting to get into the groove of that, so hopefully when everybody comes back healthy, this would have been a good experience for me to find out what my role is and play a better part once my minutes go back to where they were.

On what changed late in the second quarter and allowed the Bucks to come back from a 17 point deficit
They play real tough. I think they stepped it up and were the aggressors in the second quarter, because on the court, they were playing strong basketball and we were looking for fouls sometimes when it was just hard solid basketball. I think they picked up the intensity and we didn’t match it. That’s what happened in the second quarter. Once you let a team with that type of offense get shooting and get in a rhythm, they are like us, it’s hard to contain them.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mavs guard Steve Nash Steve Nash

on what allowed the Bucks to come back after the Mavericks built the 17 point lead in the second quarter
We just had so many let downs defensively, and we just gave them confidence to win. Really, we just gave them a lot of momentum by a lack of defense. I was disappointed because it was a game where we could have easily blown them out.

On the disappointment he feels about this loss
It’s disappointing because we knew they were going to try to run, and we just weren’t up for it tonight. We didn’t battle. We didn’t challenge. For long periods of the game, we let them do whatever they want, and that’s why we lost.

Bucks Head Coach George Karl George Karl

We’ve had situations like that. I still think our team is playing better than its record and we needed a confidence booster to beat a good team. A team that has only lost four games. A win on their home court is a huge win for us. We have been talking about winning a big game on the road against a good team and that is what we did tonight.

On their strategy:
Our strength is their strength. They’re shooters and we’re shooters. They’re longer and stronger and my decision pretty early was to play small against them, give up a few offensive rebounds, let Nellie have more paint opportunities and try to outshoot them a little bit. We have a lot of good looks in fourth quarters that we haven’t made. Tonight we made them.

On Jason Caffey:
Jason energy was huge. I couldn’t find another big guy to go with Mase (Anthony Mason) most of the night. Gadzuric got five fouls. The athleticism of the game wasn’t the type of game for Irvin. Joel was sick tonight. Jason came out and gave us great minutes and great offense and was really tough-minded. In the second quarter when the game kind of swung a little bit our way, we got a little bit more physical with them, I think Jason was a big part of that.

Bucks Tim Thomas Tim Thomas

We fought through it. That is what you have to do. We buckled down on defense in the fourth quarter and that was the difference. We know that we can score the basketball when defense is most important. We came out with the mindset in the fourth that we were going to play defense. Of course making shots is a lot easier, but the defense end was key.

On his three point shot:
We saw that they were playing a zone in the second quarter and a lot in the fourth and they were running the baseline trying to get open. I ran on one end, saw the ball and ran back to the other and nobody spotted me. I was in the corner wide open."
Old 12-31-2002, 12:07 AM   #2
ÜberDirk
Golden Member

not even once did fat boy mention not getting dirk the ball enough!
Old 12-31-2002, 12:12 AM   #3
realclipsfan
Banned

realclipsfan is on a distinguished road

he mentioned that raef guy, no more excuses for him. now that nellie has stepped up and talked about his poor play and how he is tired of the excuses, it's legit, this guy is a joke. i thought last game was going to be his springboard(as did nellie) and well, raef messed us over once again.
realclipsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2002, 12:23 AM   #4
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts

- Nelson is angry at LaFrentz. It seems that it´s not only from this game.

- Nelson is warned about the Nash problems with his plays' judgment.

- Nash blamed everything. I think he was confused tonight, in the game and after the game.

- I can´t believe that they (Nelson, this time) talk about the fatigue "factor". Every team has to struggle with it. The fatigue is a fact in this NBA bussiness. If there is an important problem with the fatigue in the team, they, the mavs' staff, has to correct it, or stop talking about it.

UD: Dirk just played great tonight. (And Raja too)
Old 12-31-2002, 12:23 AM   #5
ÜberDirk
Golden Member

the sad thing is, raef has ZERO trade value now, so we can't even get rid of him if we want!
Old 12-31-2002, 12:28 AM   #6
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Well I saw alot of positives. I like how he is saying out loud how he feels about Raef he isn't hiding the way he feels which is great to hear. I am seein Lafrentz as this years Bradley by Nellie's comments. This could help Raef boost some being I know he he doesn't want to be in Nellie's dog house.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2002, 12:33 AM   #7
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

<< - I can´t believe that they (Nelson, this time) talk about the fatigue &quot;factor&quot;. Every team has to struggle with it. The fatigue is a fact in this NBA bussiness. If there is an important problem with the fatigue in the team, they, the mavs' staff, has to correct it, or stop talking about it. >>

Chiwas: I think Nellie was talking about the fatigue of having a short rotation and not being able to rest guys duing the game. Really more of a injuriers to players who are out and those who are available on the bench not performing sufficiently. And yes you are right the Mavs staff needs to correct this.
Old 12-31-2002, 03:45 AM   #8
Lvubun1

Lvubun1 is on a distinguished road

Damn, I never thought Nellie would slam Raef like that, I don't even think he got at Shawn that hard. I even feel a little sorry for him. Nellie seems to play favorites, from the Denver trade he seems to never shut-up about how great a leader AJ is and how important he is to the team, a week or two ago he said since the injury NVE was the Mavs MVP and best player, always telling him to shot more, etc. but he never seems to say anything positive about Raef. And when you are in Nellie's doghouse, you are in his doghouse 4-life.

It will be interesting to see how Raef handles this, he went through something similar in Denver. He used to be Dan Issel's whipping boy, if anybody remembers the walk-out NVE and a couple other Nuggets staged last year it was because they felt Raef was getting picked on unfairly by the coaches. Looking back maybe Dan had the right idea.
Lvubun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2002, 04:19 AM   #9
digit

digit has a spectacular aura aboutdigit has a spectacular aura aboutdigit has a spectacular aura about

...from DB.com article...

“Raef is confused,’’ said Nick Van Exel, his teammate in Denver and here. “He doesn’t know exactly where he’s supposed to stand on the floor.’’

When reading this, I almost fell off my chair...a $60mil &quot;difference-maker&quot; doesn`t know where to stand on the floor??? Can we expext some concentration, please?? Can we expect some determination, please? LaFoul is digging himself a big hole, and if he keeps on digging like that, it is too big to get out and stay with this ball club...

digit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2002, 07:14 AM   #10
David
Golden Member

David is on a distinguished road

<< Only confirms my hate for nellie, spineless worm won't even take his blame!!!!!!! >>

You just keep re-confirming the value of your opinion. The Mavs are 25-5.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2002, 08:13 AM   #11
OutletPass
Diamond Member

OutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really nice

Here's a post game stat that I just read in the Dallas morning News.

Since the start of the 2000-01 season, the Mavericks are 114-6 when leading after three quarters.

Old 12-31-2002, 08:56 AM   #12
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

seelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to all

yes, and two of those losses came this year already [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

about Nellie:
Why should he mention he should have gotten the ball to Dirk all the time? Now that would have been a really stupid comment for a coach of a team, especially if you take into consideration that we easily win this one if some of the other shots drop.

about Raef:
Tone has changed. Might not be for the better, but might aswell lead to something. We cannot afford playing with a 7-8 guy rotation all the regular, that´s definately hurting our team (and that´s the fatigue part).

about Nash:
Once again - those night happen. It´s a subpar performance, I´d really LOVE to see some guys going off on Dirk on one of his subpar nights, grew up!

about Raja:
He was great - just like Griffin is some nights, but well, are those two not the keys for giving away as many threes? Isn´t it their job (with Finley) to protect some of the passing lanes in the zone?

about our defense:
Now that´s where we really lost the game. We couldn´t stop them. We played zone vs. a great shooting team, and got killed. Happens. Either you execute your defense with more effort, or you collect those losses without blaming anyone for it.

about Walking our Offense:
We cannot slow it down. We cannot play a halfcourt set. Either we practice it and take some losses (and SHUT UP complaining) or we don´t and simply DON´T play halfcourt sets (and likely take the early exit in playoffs). Take your choice.

About Behaviour:
Not just Basketball is about chemistry ... leading a franchise is aswell. It is plain useless to create an atmosphere of smelly comments and bad behaviour around a club since it will easily sneak into the heads of not only other fans, but media, press, the players, and therefore endanger the lockerroom chemistry. That´s how some soccer clubs over here in Europe lose their champiosnships, so you better not let some losses, that will occur one way or another, get into your head.
Old 12-31-2002, 09:06 AM   #13
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

<< Here's a post game stat that I just read in the Dallas morning News.

Since the start of the 2000-01 season, the Mavericks are 114-6 when leading after three quarters.
>>

Yeah, but TWO of those 6 came THIS MONTH.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2002, 09:39 AM   #14
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

It seems to me that two things lost the game last night: 1) poor defense, and 2) poor offensive decision-making. Those things are attributable to a variety of factors, not the least of which is Nellie's inability to leave the arms of his lover, Underdog Ball.

Old 12-31-2002, 10:43 AM   #15
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Re: fatigue..

I think it very likely was a factor last night, particularly for Dirk. I noticed that he'd played 36 minutes after three quarters, so by the 4th he was bound to have a low tank. This is not really an excuse--they have to be smarter about getting him some rest, but obviously Nellie doesn't have enough confidence in LaF to pair him with SB while Dirk catches his breath.

As much as I've ragged on LaF, I have to say that I hate to see that it's come to this with him. I had doubts about the trade at the time, wheteher it was any more than a lateral move at best in terms of skill. But I think if no trade had occurred, the Mavericks would've had about the same result in the playoffs last year, and would be in a better position this year to shop for an impact FA.

LaFrentz is looking more and more like Billy Owens, but Cuban can hardly foist total responsbility for LaF off on Nellie.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2002, 11:02 AM   #16
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Glorious post, someone rational.

<<
about Nellie:
Why should he mention he should have gotten the ball to Dirk all the time? Now that would have been a really stupid comment for a coach of a team, especially if you take into consideration that we easily win this one if some of the other shots drop.
>>

Not to mention that dirk took about 33 shots last night. That ISN'T this team. If dirk starts taking 33 shots per night this team will not reach it's potential. I also agree, dirk looked pretty gassed out there late, chunking 33 shots up there will do it to ya'. I think dirk is uber by the way.

<< about Raef:
Tone has changed. Might not be for the better, but might aswell lead to something. We cannot afford playing with a 7-8 guy rotation all the regular, that´s definately hurting our team (and that´s the fatigue part).
>>

I'm not sure it's for the better either. I would rather see nellie being able to work this out behind closed doors and not go whining to the media about it. I would think a personal sit down with raef would be a heck of a lot more productive then calling him a bust to a bunch of jackal reporters.

<<
about Nash:
Once again - those night happen. It´s a subpar performance, I´d really LOVE to see some guys going off on Dirk on one of his subpar nights, grew up!
>>

The nash stinks comments are unbelievable and probably from the 16 year old crowd.

<< about Raja:
He was great - just like Griffin is some nights, but well, are those two not the keys for giving away as many threes? Isn´t it their job (with Finley) to protect some of the passing lanes in the zone?
>>

I like raja fine, finley's defense looked pretty poor to me, but yea. Sometimes I think they get real used to bradley/raef(when playing) to challenge everything and just get lazy on the perimeter. I'll say it again, our perimeter defense is what beat us in sacto.

<< about our defense:
Now that´s where we really lost the game. We couldn´t stop them. We played zone vs. a great shooting team, and got killed. Happens. Either you execute your defense with more effort, or you collect those losses without blaming anyone for it.
>>

Agree completely. We scored over 100 so what's the point. Nash even said it tonight, they again tried to just outscore them (let's get it to dirk more and everything will be fine) and not play them defensively. I would have liked to have seen nellie take THAT to task instead of having this cancer run through the team.

<<
about Walking our Offense:
We cannot slow it down. We cannot play a halfcourt set. Either we practice it and take some losses (and SHUT UP complaining) or we don´t and simply DON´T play halfcourt sets (and likely take the early exit in playoffs). Take your choice.
>>

I actually think we can play a halfcourt set when we have to. BUT we have to have shooters outside able to hit a kickout. We don't have someone inside who is going to just put us on their back, but someone(finley) should take a couple of steps in to make a shot.

<< About Behaviour:
Not just Basketball is about chemistry ... leading a franchise is aswell. It is plain useless to create an atmosphere of smelly comments and bad behaviour around a club since it will easily sneak into the heads of not only other fans, but media, press, the players, and therefore endanger the lockerroom chemistry. That´s how some soccer clubs over here in Europe lose their champiosnships, so you better not let some losses, that will occur one way or another, get into your head.
>>

Again bravo, tearing apart the currently best team in basketball is insane. Constructively criticise yea, but go off like a nut.... But then again I am chatting on a message board aren't I. Great post.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2002, 11:06 AM   #17
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

dude, where are you getting 33 shots from? I could have sworn dirk was 12/25.
Old 12-31-2002, 11:17 AM   #18
Chiwas
Guru

<< You just keep re-confirming the value of your opinion. The Mavs are 25-5. >>

It ought to be 29-1. Only San Antonio has been better than Dallas, because the back-to-back, and the injuries including the Dirk's absence. The other 4 games has been lost by Dallas (I mean, with errors, lack of confidence, bad coaching, bad playing, etc) against weaker teams. IMO.
Old 12-31-2002, 11:27 AM   #19
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

<< dude, where are you getting 33 shots from? I could have sworn dirk was 12/25. >>

The shots where he is fouled do not count in the FGA total. He took I think 16 foul shots and I don't remember any three point plays so I'm guessing he took an extra 8.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 12-31-2002, 11:29 AM   #20
dude1394
Guru

<<

<< You just keep re-confirming the value of your opinion. The Mavs are 25-5. >>

It ought to be 29-1. Only San Antonio has been better than Dallas, because the back-to-back, and the injuries including the Dirk's absence. The other 4 games has been lost by Dallas (I mean, with errors, lack of confidence, bad coaching, bad playing, etc) against weaker teams. IMO.
>>

YEA!!! You're right!!! Nellie should be fired immediately. What the heck does he think he's doing only winning 25-5 and having the best team in the league. Come on.... get real..
Old 12-31-2002, 11:35 AM   #21
Chiwas
Guru

I think the fatigue comment wasn´t related with Dirk, but I don´t know with who it was, maybe Nash. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

The offense wasn´t bad of course, but there was a very poor defense by Mavs. I think it's a mental condition, a mental fatigue condition.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]

Yes, we can lose from time to time; but what's wrong with making comments about this one? Do I have to keep cheering? I don't want. I don't understand why they have to be untouchables. If somebody is happy when they win, why can't he/she be angry when they lose? C'mon. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Besides, this was a good game; I liked the game, but I didn't like Mavs losing. And this time I want to blame Nellie and Nash; I have the right to do it; I´m not communist and I dont' live in a communist country.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img] (and I pay for watching them)
Old 12-31-2002, 11:36 AM   #22
OutletPass
Diamond Member

OutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really nice

&lt;&lt; Here's a post game stat that I just read in the Dallas morning News.

Since the start of the 2000-01 season, the Mavericks are 114-6 when leading after three quarters. &gt;&gt;

[/i]Yeah, but TWO of those 6 came THIS MONTH.

That was implied in my post, Rhylan...disturbs me, too. Reading the posts and listening to the ticket &amp; the callers, it seems like quite a few people are ready to pull the trigger on a trade. but I'm not sure that it's warranted...yet, if at all. And this get rid of Nellie talk is disturbing.

What I'm actually concerned with is this:

Nellie and Cuban being pitted against one another over this contract situation. Nellie trashing Raef. Just seems like there are a lot of things going on behind the scenes with the Mavs. Despite all of the trades and moves over the past couple of years, the Mavs have seemed to be a very stable organization/team. I'd like to keep it that way. I am not saying that there's a lot of internal craziness going on, because I don't know that. I'm simply saying that I don't want it to happen here.

I mean what's next, NVE becoming a &quot;bad guy&quot; ? We don't need any more surprises. We're still 25-5.
Old 12-31-2002, 11:44 AM   #23
dude1394
Guru

<< I think the fatigue comment wasn´t related with Dirk, but I don´t know with who it was, maybe Nash. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

The offense wasn´t bad of course, but there was a very poor defense by Mavs. I think it's a mental condition, a mental fatigue condition.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]

Yes, we can lose from time to time; but what's wrong with making comments about this one? Do I have to keep cheering? I don't want. I don't understand why they have to be untouchables. If somebody is happy when they win, why can't he/she be angry when they lose? C'mon. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Besides, this was a good game; I liked the game, but I didn't like Mavs losing. And this time I want to blame Nellie and Nash; I have the right to do it; I´m not communist and I dont' live in a communist country.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img] (and I pay for watching them)
>>

Chiwas if youre saying we COULD have been 29-1, ok I guess. But we could just as easily have lost some games as well. The new orleans game, the big comeback against seattle. I just think it's kind of revisionist history to not also consider the good coaching,playing that got THOSE wins as much as the ones that got us 5 losses...

And I apologise as my outburst really shouldn't have been directed at yourself, I've been testy listening to how our pg stinks, raef stinks, nellie stinks, dirk doesn't get the ball enough and we're only 25-5 with the best team in the league. I probably need a valium. Happy holiday!! ;^)
Old 12-31-2002, 11:46 AM   #24
dude1394
Guru

<<
I mean what's next, NVE becoming a &quot;bad guy&quot; ? We don't need any more surprises. We're still 25-5.
>>

Nellie will be calling out NVE in the media next. Since he has stunk it up the last 5 nights or so. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Old 12-31-2002, 12:19 PM   #25
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

You can't assume that just because he had 16 FT's that he had 8 shot attempts. Lots of other factors to get those free throws. Technicals, loose ball fouls, in the penalty fouls etc.

And if you are going to say Dirk took 33 shots. Then Jordan took 40 shots a game **every game**.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2002, 12:47 PM   #26
Chiwas
Guru

<< Chiwas if youre saying we COULD have been 29-1, ok I guess. But we could just as easily have lost some games as well. The new orleans game, the big comeback against seattle. I just think it's kind of revisionist history to not also consider the good coaching,playing that got THOSE wins as much as the ones that got us 5 losses...

And I apologise as my outburst really shouldn't have been directed at yourself, I've been testy listening to how our pg stinks, raef stinks, nellie stinks, dirk doesn't get the ball enough and we're only 25-5 with the best team in the league. I probably need a valium. Happy holiday!! ;^)
>>

No, Dude, not bad feelings, really. Look, we could be 20-10 or 22-8 or 27-3 or whatever; my point is, the only game in which I don't have any comment in our coaching or playing, it´s in the San Antonio's. And I´m very happy with our team; they have played as the best this season, but we still can make critics, constructive as you said, or emotional as I included, even winning! Tks Dude.

Happy New Year.
Old 12-31-2002, 12:54 PM   #27
dude1394
Guru

<< You can't assume that just because he had 16 FT's that he had 8 shot attempts. Lots of other factors to get those free throws. Technicals, loose ball fouls, in the penalty fouls etc.

And if you are going to say Dirk took 33 shots. Then Jordan took 40 shots a game **every game**.
>>

Okay, then how many did he take?? He certainly took more than the 25 listed, you figure it out. I don't quite put dirk up there with jordan yet however, nor is it desirable that he shoot as much as mcgrady, we'll see where they go.
Old 12-31-2002, 01:47 PM   #28
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

<< That was implied in my post, Rhylan...disturbs me, too. Reading the posts and listening to the ticket &amp; the callers, it seems like quite a few people are ready to pull the trigger on a trade. but I'm not sure that it's warranted...yet, if at all. And this get rid of Nellie talk is disturbing.

What I'm actually concerned with is this:

Nellie and Cuban being pitted against one another over this contract situation. Nellie trashing Raef. Just seems like there are a lot of things going on behind the scenes with the Mavs. Despite all of the trades and moves over the past couple of years, the Mavs have seemed to be a very stable organization/team. I'd like to keep it that way. I am not saying that there's a lot of internal craziness going on, because I don't know that. I'm simply saying that I don't want it to happen here.

>>

Part of your problem is listening to The Ticket.. but that's another story [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

The Nellie vs. Cuban crap is SUCH a non-story... it was Randy Galloway bumping up against a deadline two weeks ago, and because he's Randy Dumbass NineToe Galloway, the world responded like it was a real story. When all he did was regurgitate... basically, they forced Nellie to give them a quote on it, and of course he'd rather have it resolved now than later. But to imply that he and Cubes are somehow at Jimmy/Jerry-esque odds over it is inaccurate and irresponsible journalism. And what does Galloway know about the Mavs, anyway? The elite media in DFW is still mourning Jimmy. They don't know anything else. I'm surprised they noticed when the Stars won the freakin' cup. But to get back to the topic...

Driving home from the Center last night, it occured to me that a team that has lost 6 games in three years when leading after three, when two of those have come in the last month, means that the team is currently going through growing pains. We're seeing growing pains here. Bench injuries for Walt and Eddie, Raef digging himself a hole, Bradley rising up, and mental growing pains for the Big Three + Nick. A team going through some growing pains results in 25-5??? That means this team is on the way to being scary good when the injuries and growing pains pass. In March, in April, or next year at the worst. Barring catastrophe, of course.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2002, 02:10 PM   #29
OutletPass
Diamond Member

Rhylan...I couldn't agree more. &quot;Growing pains&quot; is a great description of what's happening as the team matures and redefines itself into a playoff scary team. Being a great regular season team is one thing...being a great playoff team is another...and I think that we're on the way...some of these losses are just bumps in the road.
Old 12-31-2002, 03:27 PM   #30
mavs_afroman

mavs_afroman is on a distinguished road

A 25-5 record means nothing if we can't get out of the second round of the playoffs again. It's not the 5 losses that are discouraging but the way we lost those games. We lost because of poor decision making, defense, and not knowing who to get the ball to when the game is on the line. You can slide by with these things in the regular season but they'll get killed in the postseason. Thus I see the arguments about improved defense, decision making by both the coaches and players, and getting Dirk touches regularly (This has nothing to do with shots but touches as well as where to get him the ball and especially making sure this happens in the crucial parts of games)extremely relevant and as important as our current record because afterall the goal is to win the championship not the regular season title. And, I don't think thatbeing proud of our present record and pointing out certain things that need to be improved to excel in the playoffs are mutually exclusive.
Old 12-31-2002, 06:09 PM   #31
dude1394
Guru

<<
Driving home from the Center last night, it occured to me that a team that has lost 6 games in three years when leading after three, when two of those have come in the last month, means that the team is currently going through growing pains. We're seeing growing pains here. Bench injuries for Walt and Eddie, Raef digging himself a hole, Bradley rising up, and mental growing pains for the Big Three + Nick. A team going through some growing pains results in 25-5??? That means this team is on the way to being scary good when the injuries and growing pains pass. In March, in April, or next year at the worst. Barring catastrophe, of course.
>>

<<
Rhylan...I couldn't agree more. &quot;Growing pains&quot; is a great description of what's happening as the team matures and redefines itself into a playoff scary team. Being a great regular season team is one thing...being a great playoff team is another...and I think that we're on the way...some of these losses are just bumps in the road.
>>

Hmmm... Growing pains. I wonder if THIS is what we are seeing with the switch from a team that is trying to win with all-offense all-of-the-time and a team that also expects our defense to step up. Last night for example steve even said they tried to outscore them at the end. Last year that would have been normal, they were good at it. But this year they are trying to learn to close out games with some defense as well?? Hmmm... maybe they haven't gotten it down yet. I expected we would HAVE to lose some games trying to focus on defense instead of offense and not playing the big 3 so much, maybe these are the ones that we are losing BUT STILLL playing the big three a lot. They need to learn as well..

Old 01-01-2003, 11:01 PM   #32
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

<< It seems to me that two things lost the game last night: 1) poor defense, and 2) poor offensive decision-making. Those things are attributable to a variety of factors, not the least of which is Nellie's inability to leave the arms of his lover, Underdog Ball. >>

you're right kgveteran.
very poor defense...very poor defense on the outside. i thought the interior defense was effective enough.

poor offensive decison making- a trademark of don nelson. yes, the mavs do a great job of handling the ball and even shoot for a high percentage overall on the season(this is more a product of getting alot of easy looks and having good shooters)..however, the mavs take alot of bad looks.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote