Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 12-13-2009, 09:01 AM   #1
Hitman
Golden Member

Hitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to all
Default 27+ points per game?

Me thinks the Mavs are best when the Dirkster is shooting early and often.

Do we think he can end the season above 27 p.p.g.?

Put Your Brand On Everyone's Lips: http://www.java-ads.com
Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-2009, 10:52 AM   #2
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future

Don't care. All that matters is winning the most in the regular season & post season.
DubOverdose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 11:08 AM   #3
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Why not just put that question in the Dirk is great thread?

I think he can... but he was on that pace in the 04-05 season. But he rested at the end of that season. I think that will happen again this year.

(Btw I think this thread is a jinx thread. It is like when people say in the GDT: it will be an easy game.)
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 08:48 PM   #4
Lor20
Golden Member

Lor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud of

when howard is back dirk will get a couple less shots a game again. so i doubt it going to be below 27 points for sure.
Lor20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 12:36 AM   #5
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayliss View Post
Why not just put that question in the Dirk is great thread?
Because he didn't want to?

I think Dirk will average a little less than 26 a game on the season. At some point, you hope to have Howard back full time. If so, that will cut into Dirk's attempts a bit. However, it should allow him to get a couple of easier looks each game once some of the offensive pressure is alleviated with a legit #2 on the court.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 01:05 AM   #6
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

I know that "New Thread" button is so tempting but come on people....
Old 12-14-2009, 01:20 AM   #7
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

If you don't think it's thread worthy, shut up and move on. Flaco, Hitman's been here alot longer than you and his contribued quite a bit to this forum. I think he's shown that he's more than capable of deciding whether or not something is thread worthy.

The site doesn't need some friggin newbie harrassing someone that's been a solid contributor to this forum for nearly a decade.

Last edited by Murphy3; 12-14-2009 at 01:24 AM.
Old 12-14-2009, 07:59 AM   #8
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Murph, the reason why is because it is simply a yes or no question. So essentially all you have is a ton of posts that have no basketball discussion whatsoever. You know, the same thing you b*tch about all the time?

(And yes I know this post isn't basketball related either.)

I am pretty sure if a "newbie" as you deem them started a new topic that said:

"Will Dampier average 9 rebounds a game?"

You would be the first guy whining/b*tching/complaining to the mods and everyone else how this board has gone downhill and there are no topics for discussion.

Last edited by Bayliss; 12-14-2009 at 08:00 AM.
Old 12-14-2009, 11:24 AM   #9
Murphy3
Guru

Surely you can take a yes or no question and make a discussion out of it,..can't you? I didn't answer just yes or no.. I gave my opinion and stated why. That's probably what he was looking for.

And yes, there have been many threads on this site that have had yes or no type questions in the past..such as polls.
Old 12-14-2009, 11:34 AM   #10
thurst0509

thurst0509 is a name known to allthurst0509 is a name known to allthurst0509 is a name known to allthurst0509 is a name known to allthurst0509 is a name known to allthurst0509 is a name known to allthurst0509 is a name known to allthurst0509 is a name known to allthurst0509 is a name known to all

For what it's worth (and yes I know I am somewhat of a newbie here too) I have never seen such a high degree of bitching about new threads being created as I do here. And I am a regular lurker/contributor on at least half a dozen other message boards.

If a thread does not have discussable merit, it will fall down on its own. That is, unless we sit here and argue and bitch about whether it deserved a thread... then it stays at the top.

Last edited by thurst0509; 12-14-2009 at 11:36 AM.
thurst0509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 11:41 AM   #11
Murphy3
Guru

... Excellent point. There is no issue on this forum with too many threads.. not even close. Actually, I'd say the issue is quite the opposite. Often, too many different discussions get lumped into one large thread. It ends up becoming difficult to carry on a conversation/debate about a specific topic because there are so many other issues being discussed in the thread.

This forum does not remotely have an issue with too many threads.. especially those that are "undeserving". If anything, this forum needs more threads and/or topics for discussion... not less.
Old 12-14-2009, 11:53 AM   #12
92bDad
Platinum Member

92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurst0509 View Post
For what it's worth (and yes I know I am somewhat of a newbie here too) I have never seen such a high degree of bitching about new threads being created as I do here. And I am a regular lurker/contributor on at least half a dozen other message boards.

If a thread does not have discussable merit, it will fall down on its own. That is, unless we sit here and argue and bitch about whether it deserved a thread... then it stays at the top.
Outfreakinstanding reply!!!

Beware, these seems to be a lack of common sense at times on this board...not a mention, as you staded "Bitchiness" over pretty much nothing.

Positive Rep to you!!!
92bDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 11:58 AM   #13
92bDad
Platinum Member

92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3 View Post
... Excellent point. There is no issue on this forum with too many threads.. not even close. Actually, I'd say the issue is quite the opposite. Often, too many different discussions get lumped into one large thread. It ends up becoming difficult to carry on a conversation/debate about a specific topic because there are so many other issues being discussed in the thread.

This forum does not remotely have an issue with too many threads.. especially those that are "undeserving". If anything, this forum needs more threads and/or topics for discussion... not less.
My apologies Murph...but great added reply...unfortunately, I have to spread some rep before adding to yours.

No doubt...too much Thread Police around these parts...if one doesn't like a thread, then don't read or reply to it...move on, others can either carry on the conversation or let it fall into the woods

As for the topic...it would be great to see Dirk hit the 27 + PPG for the season...but will it...how important it is?

Honestly, we are so far away from Individual stats it's unreal...this team has come together and appears to be focused on ONE thing and ONE thing only. To win the Championship, while remaining under the radar!!!

As long as the Tim Donaghy conspiracy doesn't prove out to be correct, and Stern actually stays out of the way...then the Mavs with Dirk's MVP Type of season have a genuine shot at bringing the Title home to Big "D"!!!

That is all that matters...but yes, if Dirk hit the 27 PPG for the season, that would be a nice little icing on the cake if you will.
92bDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 12:04 PM   #14
thurst0509

thurst0509 is a name known to allthurst0509 is a name known to allthurst0509 is a name known to allthurst0509 is a name known to allthurst0509 is a name known to allthurst0509 is a name known to allthurst0509 is a name known to allthurst0509 is a name known to allthurst0509 is a name known to all

Quote:

That has always been my impression of this board as well; it doesn't seem have an overabundance of threads by any means. And as I said, message boards are self-regulating anyways. Stuff that's good at generating discussion will stay up top where it can be read/discussed, while stuff that sucks at generating discussion will naturally fall down.

Of course, every message board also has its own unique personality and history, which is important in its own right. It's fantastic to have senior members who have an interest in protecting the community and the content. But it's important (and I'm not pointing fingers at anyone specifically when I say this) to fight the urge to engage in turf wars and "grumpy old man" syndrome which causes you to complain about anything that deviates from what you remember of the good old days.
thurst0509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 12:31 PM   #15
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

I think Dirk should shoot sparingly, and only really late in games.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."

Last edited by mary; 12-14-2009 at 12:36 PM.
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 12:45 PM   #16
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

I like new threads. The one-size-fits-all threads with thousands of replies give me tired head.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 12:46 PM   #17
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhylan View Post
I like new threads. The one-size-fits-all threads with thousands of replies give me tired head.
Ditto.
Old 12-14-2009, 12:55 PM   #18
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

I will be watching to see if Dirk's "early and often" approach changes when Howard is back full-time. If they go back to giving the ball to JHo for the first half of games and Dirk for the second, I'll be disappointed.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 01:17 PM   #19
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

I also concur. The forum is very easy to use but also feels more like a blog sometimes.

watch your thoughts, they become your words
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 01:30 PM   #20
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
Me thinks the Mavs are best when the Dirkster is shooting early and often
Early? No. Often? Yes.

Dirk can't be the primary scoring option for 4 quarters for an entire season. He does need to be more involved starting somewhere in the third quarter though
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 01:31 PM   #21
nowhereman
Diamond Member

nowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond repute

well - he might get better looks when Howard comes back, so that might counteract the effect of having a couple of fewer shots. Historically, he gets better as the season progresses, so that's another countervailing consideration.

As an aside: the guy just shot 34 times last game. Before Carlisle got here, that was unheard of for Dirk.

Quote:
RT @TyLawson3 Good game between Dallas and Portland. Good thing we didn't end up getting Dallas. Coach Karl lost his mind.
nowhereman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 02:02 PM   #22
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

I think that if Dirk scores at least another 1566 points by the end of the season, he'll finish the season with 27 points per game.

Last edited by bernardos70; 12-14-2009 at 05:26 PM.
bernardos70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 02:22 PM   #23
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm staying out of the thread discussion. I'd just like to say that tags are one of the greatest things that ever happened to this board.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 03:48 PM   #24
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
I'm staying out of the thread discussion. I'd just like to say that tags are one of the greatest things that ever happened to this board.
Which implies that you are not staying out of the discussion...
Old 12-14-2009, 06:06 PM   #25
left texas
Golden Member

left texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

How true this is, especially for people who cannot be on the board (or chose not to be on the board) 24 hours a day. Sometimes you (I) do not want to post because you do not have time to (or desire) to read through a hundred post just to make sure your thought has not already been posted. Most boards have a lot more threads than this one and the good ones seem to have a way to stay in the fore front. So I say thread away.

I think the problem here is we do not have a large enough base to really make it exciting. True, we have the best and most knowledgeable fans but as one poster stated to me in an email, it seems unless you are one of the posters with 10,000 post, you will always be an outsider.

Last edited by left texas; 12-14-2009 at 06:11 PM.
left texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 07:14 PM   #26
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Which implies that you are not staying out of the discussion...
Sure I am. I just found the tags funny.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 12-14-2009, 07:26 PM   #27
DirktyBlue

DirktyBlue is just really niceDirktyBlue is just really niceDirktyBlue is just really niceDirktyBlue is just really niceDirktyBlue is just really niceDirktyBlue is just really nice

I don't think Dirk gives a damn about his averages at this point of his career. But we do..and I want him to be in the top 5 to finish the season..and it would be doubly awesome if he won the MVP..and triple awesome if he won the Finals MVP. Go Dirk!
DirktyBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 07:36 PM   #28
DirktyBlue

DirktyBlue is just really niceDirktyBlue is just really niceDirktyBlue is just really niceDirktyBlue is just really niceDirktyBlue is just really niceDirktyBlue is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by left texas View Post
How true this is, especially for people who cannot be on the board (or chose not to be on the board) 24 hours a day. Sometimes you (I) do not want to post because you do not have time to (or desire) to read through a hundred post just to make sure your thought has not already been posted. Most boards have a lot more threads than this one and the good ones seem to have a way to stay in the fore front. So I say thread away.

I think the problem here is we do not have a large enough base to really make it exciting. True, we have the best and most knowledgeable fans but as one poster stated to me in an email, it seems unless you are one of the posters with 10,000 post, you will always be an outsider.
i am a new poster to this forum and love it. haven't felt alienated by the regulars. I used to read the ESPN message boards which are basically unmoderated. After discovering this forum, there is no going back. The quality of discussion is just supreme and I rely on the game threads here if i can't catch it on TV. I don't want to sift through loads of trash to get a few nuggets of information! I get what I want real quick here.

One request I have - There are a lot of wonderful writers in this forum. It would be nice if some of the better writers come up with essays/articles/analysis on the mavs that can be posted here. That way I don't have to go read the watered down articles on Yahoo Sports or NBA.com that either bash the team or provide back-handed compliments when the Mavs do well.
DirktyBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 07:50 PM   #29
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Shouldnt we just have a single thread for whining about threads? It might allow people to discuss whats in the thread, within its thread.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 08:10 PM   #30
Bayliss

Quote:
Shouldnt we just have a single thread for whining about threads? It might allow people to discuss whats in the thread, within its thread.
But that would be a long thread. And no one wants to click on "last page" of a very long thread. That is too hard.
Old 12-14-2009, 08:17 PM   #31
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by left texas View Post

It is a little disappointing that the forum isn't as "exciting" as it used to be. I believe the base is still there, but the base is just different. There really aren't any great debates on the forum anymore.. at least, not in the Mavs section. And yeah, alot of the blame goes on the members that have been here for years. Many of us obviously don't contribute enough and at the same level that we used to. Personally, I just haven't had the time or the energy to do so the past few years. The Miami series took alot out of me.

But as for you being an outsider.. I don't really look at it that way. I generally like those that bring solid contributions to the forum regardless of their post count. Post count doesn't really mean a whole lot. I guess the only thing that it means is that you've posted a bit for a long time. There's been alot of people that have racked up the post counts.. but a high percentage of their posts had absolutely nothing to do with the Mavs.
Old 12-14-2009, 08:19 PM   #32
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayliss View Post
But that would be a long thread. And no one wants to click on "last page" of a very long thread. That is too hard.
Obviously, there's nothing wrong with a long thread. However, it's easier to carry on a discussion or debate with someone if there's not 10 other discussions going on in the thread at the same time.
Old 12-14-2009, 08:25 PM   #33
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

So guys, can Dirk really stay at 27 ppg? Is there any conceivable way to expand on this topic? Does it even matter? Or is it such a dead end that we have to hijack the thread and talk about the general concept of "thread-worthy"?

Last edited by Dirkadirkastan; 12-14-2009 at 08:26 PM.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 08:33 PM   #34
Bayliss

Quote:
So guys, can Dirk really stay at 27 ppg? Is there any conceivable way to expand on this topic? Does it even matter? Or is it such a dead end that we have to hijack the thread and talk about the general concept of "thread-worthy"?
Sure he can stay at 27. Actually (IMO) Dirk could average 30 pretty easily. But he is unselfish by nature that he won't average 30+. There are way too many nights in which he passes up some good looks to get Damp a shot, or Terry a shot, etc. And the Mavs will either get blown out or blow out some people and it will skew the numbers.
Old 12-14-2009, 08:44 PM   #35
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
If you don't think it's thread worthy, shut up and move on. Flaco, Hitman's been here alot longer than you and his contribued quite a bit to this forum. I think he's shown that he's more than capable of deciding whether or not something is thread worthy.

The site doesn't need some friggin newbie harrassing someone that's been a solid contributor to this forum for nearly a decade.
Bravo to this, and also what you said later on. As well as Rhylan and KG. The board structure has become much worse since the heavy patroling of the board nazis began.

If someone thinks a thread is not noteworthy just leave it alone.

Personaly I hate all those everything xy related goes here threads. It makes it really hard to find the new stuff if you donĀ“t visit every day. There are some exeptions though. Like the general NBA thread, the gameday threads or some threads in the lounge.

As for the original question: I think he can do it. He seems really willing to take over games this season.

Last edited by Fidel; 12-14-2009 at 08:46 PM.
Fidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 08:59 PM   #36
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Gee, I must be missing out on all this "board moderation". What heavy patrolling are you speaking of? When I signed up six years ago, established posters would try to curtail too many new threads. DJ even created a posting restriction for new members. This is nothing new.

For the MOST part, the big threads get big because lots of people post in them....not because a bunch of threads are being merged, or because people are being forced to post in them.

I think its much more likely that some of our older posters don't really post a ton of content anymore - unless its to bitch about the lack of threads that they aren't creating in the first place. (I don't meant that in a bad way, I could start a long list of posters I really miss!).

And I'm all for new threads, but if this one weren't so marginal to begin with, it would've stayed on topic.

Edited to add: I love everyone and I don't think Dirk will average 27+ a game.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."

Last edited by mary; 12-14-2009 at 09:38 PM.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:42 PM   #37
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

If discussing the merits of new threads is what it takes to get KG and Rhylan to post then I'm all for more of them.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 12-14-2009, 10:40 PM   #38
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary View Post
Gee, I must be missing out on all this "board moderation". What heavy patrolling are you speaking of? When I signed up six years ago, established posters would try to curtail too many new threads. DJ even created a posting restriction for new members. This is nothing new.

For the MOST part, the big threads get big because lots of people post in them....not because a bunch of threads are being merged, or because people are being forced to post in them.

I think its much more likely that some of our older posters don't really post a ton of content anymore - unless its to bitch about the lack of threads that they aren't creating in the first place. (I don't meant that in a bad way, I could start a long list of posters I really miss!).

And I'm all for new threads, but if this one weren't so marginal to begin with, it would've stayed on topic.

Edited to add: I love everyone and I don't think Dirk will average 27+ a game.
No, it's not necessarily about moderators moving threads or anything else. However, when the site is down as far as traffic and content go, things aren't helped when members or moderators try to further stifle the creation of new topics/threads. Some people are reluctant to start new threads because they don't want someone to jump down their throat. With traffic and content down, it's just not a good idea to bully others into not starting new threads. The site needs quality content. Does that mean that there will occasionally be a thread started that isn't worthy? Sure. However, they will die a quick death. This forum doesn't have the same types of issues that it had 4-5 years ago. The issues are quite the opposite.

As for whether or not this thread would have stayed on topic, how the hell would anyone know when the second post in the thread is attacking the merit of the thread?
Old 12-14-2009, 10:44 PM   #39
mary
Troll Hunter

Quote:
As for whether or not this thread would have stayed on topic, how the hell would anyone know when the second post in the thread is attacking the merit of the thread?
Well, there is the option of blowing off those posts, and carrying on the with the discussion.

Last edited by mary; 12-14-2009 at 10:56 PM.
Old 12-14-2009, 11:02 PM   #40
Bayliss

Quote:
I didn't realize asking a question was "derailing a thread." Especially when I even answered Hitman's original question in my post.

I guess we as posters should never ask another poster a question inside a thread. It might derail the thread!

Tags
diarrhea in your mouth, diarrhea tag for twelli, epic thread diarrhea, general mavs discussion?, got a bit fluffy in here, join date overrated, look at me im important, moddingmypantsoff, move thread to lounge, tag diarrhea, thread diarrhea