Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 06-18-2021, 01:40 AM   #1
Lestat_1795

Lestat_1795 is a splendid one to beholdLestat_1795 is a splendid one to beholdLestat_1795 is a splendid one to beholdLestat_1795 is a splendid one to beholdLestat_1795 is a splendid one to beholdLestat_1795 is a splendid one to beholdLestat_1795 is a splendid one to beholdLestat_1795 is a splendid one to beholdLestat_1795 is a splendid one to beholdLestat_1795 is a splendid one to beholdLestat_1795 is a splendid one to behold
Default Thanks coach!

I am sad.
Lestat_1795 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-2021, 02:53 AM   #2
Unicorn

Unicorn is just really niceUnicorn is just really niceUnicorn is just really niceUnicorn is just really niceUnicorn is just really niceUnicorn is just really nice

He is a smart coach, I am pretty sure he will find another job in NBA soon
Old 06-18-2021, 08:44 AM   #3
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

Pretty sure if I go to every other NBA team forum right now sans maybe 5 teams they are wishing for RC. He is gonna have his pick of jobs I'm sure.
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 11:50 AM   #4
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_Wilson View Post
Pretty sure if I go to every other NBA team forum right now sans maybe 5 teams they are wishing for RC. He is gonna have his pick of jobs I'm sure.
They should consult with Luka before they hire him lol
Dallas41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 12:22 PM   #5
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yes he’s at the top of the list for any contending team.
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 02:05 PM   #6
DallasDog

DallasDog will become famous soon enoughDallasDog will become famous soon enough

The resignation by Rick Carlisle was the best decision for both Rick Carlisle and the Mavericks.

Rick can continue to coach off he desires to take a job, there will be offers if he has interest. A new team, a new environment, will allow Rick to do what he has skill at.

The Mavericks can move on to a new coach who will bring different ideas and viewpoints. A new coach will allow for players the freedom to show their skills, and a new coach will likely find new ways for those skills to be applied on the court.

Thank you Rick Carlisle, you are always going to be admired for what you accomplished in Dallas.
DallasDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 02:19 PM   #7
JustJay

JustJay is a jewel in the roughJustJay is a jewel in the roughJustJay is a jewel in the roughJustJay is a jewel in the roughJustJay is a jewel in the rough

He is an above average coach but he is not an all time great like some made him out to be. To me he is comparable to Doc Rivers who beat RC in last years playoffs and still lost his job. Doc has 1 championship RC has 1 championship. You don't get a lifetime pass and he didn't get fired he got to quit on his own terms. If not for Dirk playing like a God during the 2011 playoffs he gets fired 5-6 years ago.
JustJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 02:25 PM   #8
Zeus

Zeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasDog View Post
The resignation by Rick Carlisle was the best decision for both Rick Carlisle and the Mavericks.

Rick can continue to coach off he desires to take a job, there will be offers if he has interest. A new team, a new environment, will allow Rick to do what he has skill at.

The Mavericks can move on to a new coach who will bring different ideas and viewpoints. A new coach will allow for players the freedom to show their skills, and a new coach will likely find new ways for those skills to be applied on the court.

Thank you Rick Carlisle, you are always going to be admired for what you accomplished in Dallas.
Very well said!. Many things can be true simultaneously.
- Rick is a smart guy and a good coach
- He won the only championship in Mavs history
- Everything has a shelf life - it was time to move on
- we can wish him well while still looking forward to a new coach and style
Zeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 02:48 PM   #9
JustJay

JustJay is a jewel in the roughJustJay is a jewel in the roughJustJay is a jewel in the roughJustJay is a jewel in the roughJustJay is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
Very well said!. Many things can be true simultaneously.
- Rick is a smart guy and a good coach
- He won the only championship in Mavs history
- Everything has a shelf life - it was time to move on
- we can wish him well while still looking forward to a new coach and style
Agreed there's no reason to be sad he was not fired and we haven't won a playoff series since the championship. It's best for both sides.
JustJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 05:01 PM   #10
BigDog63

BigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to all

Quote:
I'm positive that was a factor in Rick's decision. Several of those jobs, giving everything, are likely better jobs for him.
BigDog63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 05:08 PM   #11
BigDog63

BigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJay View Post
He is an above average coach but he is not an all time great like some made him out to be. To me he is comparable to Doc Rivers who beat RC in last years playoffs and still lost his job.
He is better than above average...good, maybe very good seems to be the view. All time great?...agree, no he isn't. Is Doc Rivers considered a good coach?

But, even good to very good coaches can wear out their welcome...or have other issues they can't overcome.
Old 06-18-2021, 05:59 PM   #12
Zeus

Zeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDog63 View Post
He is better than above average...good, maybe very good seems to be the view. All time great?...agree, no he isn't. Is Doc Rivers considered a good coach?

But, even good to very good coaches can wear out their welcome...or have other issues they can't overcome.
Objectively Doc has more good years than Rick. Rick probably has a reputation as a better tactician but Doc is probably a better people person with his players.
Old 06-18-2021, 07:22 PM   #13
NeedlesKane
Platinum Member

NeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant future

Watch him burn us in the playoffs, similarly to Don Nelson.
Old 06-18-2021, 07:40 PM   #14
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedlesKane View Post
Hope he doesn't sign with Pels then. That's literally the perfect team for him. They need to figure out an offense that works and they are desperate to make the playoffs with Zion. Rick can do both.
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 07:49 PM   #15
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Kinda why I'm hesitant on Mosley. Rather restart with a completely new voice GM/Coach-wise.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 08:25 PM   #16
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Hope he doesn't sign with Pels then. That's literally the perfect team for him. They need to figure out an offense that works and they are desperate to make the playoffs with Zion. Rick can do both.
Wouldn't surprise me.
He seemed to rave about Zion in post game interviews and Zion probably has a ceiling near Luka's if he stays healthy.
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 08:32 PM   #17
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
Kinda why I'm hesitant on Mosley. Rather restart with a completely new voice GM/Coach-wise.
Man I can't even imagine who our new coach will be but I have a feeling it won't be anyone closely connect to RC or an old style coach like JVG.
I'm not a huge D'Antoni fan but I'm not so sure his style wouldn't be the best for Luka.

I loved RC as our coach but thought his system might have limited Luka's abilities and Luka could have eventually gone down the same path as KL did in SA under Pop's system.

I could be wrong but I always had that concern.

Last edited by rimrocker; 06-18-2021 at 08:33 PM.
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 11:45 PM   #18
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Not if Luka can help it

Sure RC would love to stick it to the Mavs

But don't you think Luka would feel the same way
Old 06-19-2021, 01:12 AM   #19
NeedlesKane
Platinum Member

NeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant future

So Clippers beat top seeded Jazz in 6 games after beating the Mavericks in 7 games. Did Mavs organization (and me) overreact to the first round exit? Anyway, I hope the changes will be for the better. I'm seeing Mavs as one of the top 3 or 4 teams in the West during the playoffs. Best teams: Suns, Clippers, Mavericks, and Lakers.
Old 06-19-2021, 07:20 AM   #20
Zeus

Quote:
So Clippers beat top seeded Jazz in 6 games after beating the Mavericks in 7 games. Did Mavs organization (and me) overreact to the first round exit? Anyway, I hope the changes will be for the better. I'm seeing Mavs as one of the top 3 or 4 teams in the West during the playoffs. Best teams: Suns, Clippers, Mavericks, and Lakers.
With all due respect, I think this is delusional thinking. This is the Scooby Doo theory of the Mavs - We would have won in the playoffs if not for those meddling Clippers. We went 7 because our superstar was playing the best offensive basketball in the world but couldn't even get a modicum of replacement level play from most of the rest of the team. No I dont think we just run this back again as your "over reaction" comment implies.

Last edited by Zeus; 06-19-2021 at 08:30 AM.
Old 06-19-2021, 08:44 AM   #21
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Quote:
With all due respect, I think this is delusional thinking. This is the Scooby Doo theory of the Mavs - We would have won in the playoffs if not for those meddling Clippers. We went 7 because our superstar was playing the best offensive basketball in the world but couldn't even get a modicum of replacement level play from most of the rest of the team. No I dont think we just run this back again as your "over reaction" comment implies.
Yeah I don't agree with that logic either

Playoffs is all about matchups and the just because the Jazz lost to the Clippers doesn't take away from the fact that they were a bad matchup for the Mavs.

They have just as many shooters as the Clippers and Gobert seemed to always own the Mavs so the variables are different from series to series.

I'd like to think that the Mavs could have beat the Suns, Jazz or Nuggets but reality is they could have very well lost to either Portland or Menphis in a playoff series because that's how inconsistent the roster was.....

Much like the Clippers big two the Blazers tandem of Lillard and McCollum might have destroyed the Mavs to so it's no gurantee they were better than the Blazers
Old 06-19-2021, 09:41 AM   #22
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I agree, but with one caveat. Clippers beat the Jazz with no KL in the last two games. Last night, the Jazz gave up a 25 point lead and eventually lost by 12 (sound familiar?). The Mavs taking a healthy LAC team to seven games suggests they can stay with the very best in the league. That doesn't mean they beat the Jazz in the semis or win a championship with this roster/coach, but they are perhaps closer to being a contender than the conventional thinking might dictate.

I am a bit nervous about the changes in the leadership team. I would have liked to have seen RC stay one more year and with a full offseason to work with KP. Cuban has got to get this right or........

On the other hand, I did not get a sense of urgency from Donnie, and RC seemed to be struggling with how to synergize the play of KP and Luka. Moreover, the occasional in-game arguments between Luka and RC are not a good look and might have caused a disruption in team cohesion. But time is short. As we have seen with the Kemba trade, teams are already wheeling and dealing. Add that reality to the large number of coaching vacancies and it is imperative that Cuban moves quickly. An optimist might see the current Mavs situation as an opportunity to unleash the potential of a Luka-lead team. The pessimist might see an organization in disarray at a time when you are trying to sign your superstar to a supermax deal and build a more competitive roster in the offseason. Only time will tell which is closer to the truth.
Old 06-19-2021, 09:47 AM   #23
turin
Diamond Member

turin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant future

The Mavs are a bunch of low bbiq chokers when it comes to the end of a close game. The team needed to be blown up.

Last edited by turin; 06-19-2021 at 09:49 AM.
turin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 10:16 AM   #24
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I agree. The goal should be to surround your superstar with enough talent to where he doesn’t have to be the greatest offensive player on the face of the planet repeatedly for your team to have a chance to win a round.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 04:51 PM   #25
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplefrog View Post

I am a bit nervous about the changes in the leadership team. I would have liked to have seen RC stay one more year and with a full offseason to work with KP. Cuban has got to get this right or........

On the other hand, I did not get a sense of urgency from Donnie, and RC seemed to be struggling with how to synergize the play of KP and Luka. Moreover, the occasional in-game arguments between Luka and RC are not a good look and might have caused a disruption in team cohesion. But time is short. As we have seen with the Kemba trade, teams are already wheeling and dealing. Add that reality to the large number of coaching vacancies and it is imperative that Cuban moves quickly. An optimist might see the current Mavs situation as an opportunity to unleash the potential of a Luka-lead team. The pessimist might see an organization in disarray at a time when you are trying to sign your superstar to a supermax deal and build a more competitive roster in the offseason. Only time will tell which is closer to the truth.

It was time for Rick to go him and Luka just wasn't getting along we just can't ignore that as fans

Rick Carlisle Reportedly Got Tired of Luka Doncic Mocking & Taunting Him in Front Players, Had ‘Simmering Tension’

There had been simmering tension between Luka Doncic and Rick Carlisle that was a concern within the Mavs organization. The expectation was that he'd return next season, but he'd have been on the hot seat.
Old 06-19-2021, 09:45 PM   #26
NeedlesKane
Platinum Member

J.J. Barea wants to join the coaching staff. I'd love that.
Old 06-20-2021, 08:38 AM   #27
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

In the statement, Carlisle thanked “every player and assistant coach I’ve had here,” and mentioned Cuban, Nelson and Nowitzki, among others, by name. He did not single out Doncic.
MFFL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 11:30 AM   #28
Zeus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimrocker View Post
Wouldn't surprise me.
He seemed to rave about Zion in post game interviews and Zion probably has a ceiling near Luka's if he stays healthy.
I would be surprised if the Pelicans traded one hard ass on players coach for another.
Old 06-20-2021, 12:25 PM   #29
Dolencd

Dolencd is a name known to allDolencd is a name known to allDolencd is a name known to allDolencd is a name known to allDolencd is a name known to allDolencd is a name known to allDolencd is a name known to allDolencd is a name known to allDolencd is a name known to allDolencd is a name known to all

My 2 cents on this matter. Rick is a good coach, but only because he's got one ring as coach in his portfolio. Otherwise he's under average.
While he may not be the best coach he is a very smart person. The reason he won 2011 championship is because he was smart enough to realise Nash was an amazing floor general, and basically just leave it to him in some situations to figure it out. And that played out. Dirk was one of the best at the time, he could have won more than one ring.
I never liked Rck as a coach. His decisions were just very weird and mostly never turned out to be great afterwards. Only few times.
But I always liked Rick as a person. Smart, respectful, no bullshit, strict as hell to players and to himself.
He realised his time was up. That's why he left. Great for the mavs, great for him.

Maybe ... let me put it this way. Rick might be a great coach in some circumstances just as KP can be a great player in some. He'll find a job and be better there than he was in recent years in Dallas.

And just to add. Rick may not be a great coach, but he was one of the few very, very best at coaching and developing young players. For a young team that hasn't achieved much in last few years, Rick will be a golden opportunity.

All the best for him!
Dolencd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 12:40 PM   #30
Dolencd

Dolencd is a name known to allDolencd is a name known to allDolencd is a name known to allDolencd is a name known to allDolencd is a name known to allDolencd is a name known to allDolencd is a name known to allDolencd is a name known to allDolencd is a name known to allDolencd is a name known to all

And one mor thing ... If ou guys think Luka and Rick didn't get along because Rick was too harsh on him you should look at some youtube videos of european coaches.
Pablo Lasso (Luka's Real Madrid coach) would shout and bark like an animal on the players if they did a stupid thing during the game. Throwing stuff, shouting, swearing at players. That's all European style.
I don't think it was that that got Rick to the point he wanted out.
Old 06-20-2021, 06:46 PM   #31
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolencd View Post
My 2 cents on this matter. Rick is a good coach, but only because he's got one ring as coach in his portfolio. Otherwise he's under average.
While he may not be the best coach he is a very smart person. The reason he won 2011 championship is because he was smart enough to realise Nash was an amazing floor general, and basically just leave it to him in some situations to figure it out. And that played out. Dirk was one of the best at the time, he could have won more than one ring.
I never liked Rck as a coach. His decisions were just very weird and mostly never turned out to be great afterwards. Only few times.
But I always liked Rick as a person. Smart, respectful, no bullshit, strict as hell to players and to himself.
He realised his time was up. That's why he left. Great for the mavs, great for him.

Maybe ... let me put it this way. Rick might be a great coach in some circumstances just as KP can be a great player in some. He'll find a job and be better there than he was in recent years in Dallas.

And just to add. Rick may not be a great coach, but he was one of the few very, very best at coaching and developing young players. For a young team that hasn't achieved much in last few years, Rick will be a golden opportunity.

All the best for him!
Yes. Rick letting Nash be the floor general was what won us the championship.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 07:00 PM   #32
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
Yes. Rick letting Nash be the floor general was what won us the championship.
Nash’s bald phase.
FreshJive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 07:44 PM   #33
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Quote:

All the best for him!
I get it some fans will love Rick forever

But come man unless I'm reading this wrong I don't recall Rick coaching Nash and Dirk.

Nash left before Rick showed up....

Rick and Kidd worked together but they had early issues until Rick took a step back and let Kidd run the offense.
Old 06-20-2021, 10:13 PM   #34
Zeus

Looking at the betting odds at the outset of the Knicks-Hawks series the Knicks were the favorite as were the 76ers in the 2nd round. Let me get this straight - a coach (Nate McMillan) can win series where his team wasn't the favorite? In fact string 2 series in a row together as underdogs? I was told many times over the past few years in this forum that we couldn't expect Rick and the Mavs to win a series because after all they were never favorites in any of those series.... Very strange. Somebody forgot to give Nate McMillan the memo that it is an impossibility to win a series you are not favored in. One by one, this post season destroys delusional Mavs fans narratives.
Old 06-21-2021, 10:29 AM   #35
Dolencd

Fuck ... I was sure as hell that Nash was in Dallas for the ring. Sorry guys. Packing my bags and waiting for the first bus out of town tonight.
Aside that statement I think my point still holds it's ground. Rick just isn't a coach for this situation, but he was smart to leave this off season and keep respect intact. Next year he would have been on the hot seat. Or even worse, fired by the next GM Cuban gets for the Dallas.
Old 06-21-2021, 10:35 AM   #36
Dolencd

I'm also very interested what you think about this ...
Here comes the crucifixion of this poor lad.
I think Igor Kokoskov would have beeen an amazing coach for Dallas. Him and Luka get along great from when they got Eurobasket gold in 2017, he is smart and I think a very good tactician.
He had a go with the Suns as the head coach. They were trash that year and he lost his job after a year. HE left to coach Fenerbahçe in Turkey next. This year he is the head coach of his home country Serbian national team. He would have coached Jokic if he were allowed to attend.
I think he would make a great coach.
What do you reckon?
Old 06-21-2021, 04:46 PM   #37
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The reason he won 2011 championship is because he was smart enough to realise Nash was an amazing floor general, and basically just leave it to him in some situations to figure it out. And that played out.
Change Nash to Kidd and you were correct

We've had several HOF point guards on the Mavs
MFFL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 10:23 AM   #38
dirt_dobber
Diamond Member

dirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond repute

The Pacers are hiring Rick Carlisle as head coach.
He will sign a 4-year, $29 million contract.

Wonder if he will do Cuban a favor and trade Sabonis for KP
dirt_dobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 10:47 AM   #39
Zeus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt_dobber View Post
The Pacers are hiring Rick Carlisle as head coach.
He will sign a 4-year, $29 million contract.

Wonder if he will do Cuban a favor and trade Sabonis for KP
I will take Malcolm Brogdon please.
Old 06-24-2021, 01:16 PM   #40
BigDog63

Quote:
Had heard he wasn't being considered for Celtics (why?)...in which case Pelicans like the next best choice. I do think he would be a good fit there. Zion seems coachable (perhaps that's not so true for Luka, hence the friction)?