Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 12-11-2012, 05:54 PM   #41
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Has anyone shopped an OJ-squirrel yet? Between these clutch games he's having and "Cousins having a ball" with OJ last night, it may be fitting.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-2012, 06:00 PM   #42
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

^Cousins is such a head case. It was hilarious when he clapped in front of Carlisle...as if the Kings had some 20 point lead or something. They were down 11. Talk about denial...

I'd take Mayo on my team over Cousins any day of the week.

Last edited by DevinHarriswillstart; 12-11-2012 at 06:01 PM.
DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:43 PM   #43
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalger View Post
Marion's contract has an early termination clause according to both Hoopsworld and ShamSports. Does anyone know whether or not that's true and up to what point we could use this early termination option? It could make quite a difference to renegotiate a new deal with Marion at a lower annual salary, say 3 years at $4.5 million per.
All ETO's are, by definition, the option of the player, not the team.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:57 PM   #44
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

He will still regress some, he might be a good efficient scorer but the chances of him being elite? Aren't very high. He will regress a bit and part of it will probably come with Dirk back, while the Dirk return might be blamed a bit (I bet the regression starts a little before) it won't be because Dirk is back that he regresses to the mean.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:00 PM   #45
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394 View Post
This makes me think his long term goal would be to play point.
No, from my friend Matt Moore he suggested than Mayo didn't like to play point but Hollins forced it onto him, he is much better at the 2.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:24 PM   #46
QSA

QSA will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavs777 View Post
No, from my friend Matt Moore he suggested than Mayo didn't like to play point but Hollins forced it onto him, he is much better at the 2.
This isn't true at all. It's the exact opposite.

Going into the draft, Mayo tried to market himself as a point. He worked out with Wade and Tim Grover in Chicago and they both believed/hoped that he could play point at the NBA level. Mayo met with Pat Riley on his yacht I think just days before the draft and Riley was close to drafting him to play next to Wade but he was talked into taking Beasley instead.

When Chris Wallace traded for him, Mayo was introduced to Grizz fans as the guy who would be transitioning into the pg position because that is what Mayo and his advisers thought would be best for him long term considering his lack of size at the 2. He is only 6'4, which is decent for a sg but not spectacular and he also has an average wingspan at best. So ideally, they wanted him to be a scoring pg who could take advantage of smaller points guards. That is why he was trying to model his game after Billups at one point. He's worked out with Billups before in the past and apparently Billups is the one who advised him to go to Dallas so I assume he still considers Billups to be a mentor.

In Memphis, he actually volunteered to go play in the Summer League in his THIRD season just to prove to Lionel Hollins that he was capable of playing the point. A guy of Mayo's talent don't just throw away his pride and go play in the Summer League about 2 days before his due to go work out with Team USA unless he really wanted it.

Lionel has publicly blasted him multiple times about not having any point guard abilities and the Gizzlies went so far as to bring in guys like Jamal Tinsley, Allen Iverson, Acie Law...just a bunch of scrubs who aren't even in the league anymore as options at pg because they had no faith in Mayo. Lionel said he hoped Mayo would "prove to himself that he couldn't do it" after he went to SL.

And now we see the same thing happening with Bayless. He is best suited as a backup 1 and 2, but Lionel doesn't trust anyone at pg besides Mike Conley and now today they're working out Mike Bibby. Bayless and Mayo are basically the same type of player and Lionel doesn't like those "combo" guard types so he was never for OJ logging any minutes at the point.
QSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:14 PM   #47
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Nice write-up on OJMayo.... I'm always struck by how hard the really great must work to be there. Nice to see the dirkster and Carlisle rubbing off.

I have noticed that Carlisle seems to be a stickler for working with the new guys on footwork, catching the ball properly and taking their shot. I wonder is there has ever been anyone look at players that come from other teams to Carlisle and their shooting percentages. It's a very fluid dynamic because of the rest of the team.. but.. I know he works hard with them on that.

Obviously Mayo's is up quite a bit.
Butlers went up when he got here.
Corey Brewers went up but they had dipped..
Dahntay Jone's has fallen off..
Just curious

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nba...las-mavericks/

"
On the Sunday before the 2011 NBA Finals, the Dallas Mavericks landed in Miami at 7:30 p.m., and most of the team scattered to nearby restaurants. Dirk Nowitzki checked into his hotel and caught a ride to American Airlines Arena. The Mavericks know not to include Nowitzki in any reservations. He has made a tradition of working out at opposing arenas immediately after arriving in road cities. It is part of his routine: Get off the plane, get onto the bus and get into the gym. "We are always waiting on him for dinner," said Brian Cardinal, then a Mavs forward, during the '11 Finals.

O.J. Mayo heard about Nowitzki's unorthodox travel itinerary, and when he signed with the Mavericks this summer, asked to mimic it. Trainer Casey Smith calls ahead and makes sure an arena door is left open. Assistant coach Darrell Armstrong tags along. Unless the Mavs land late, or are on a back-to-back, Mayo and Armstrong ride together and shoot for an hour. "It's a way to make sure you're comfortable on the court," Mayo said. "It's a way to stay sharp."
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:27 PM   #48
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Nice. I like his approach and Dirk has to feel like he hit the lottery as far as guys who respect him and the game. To get a guy like Mayo who is willing to give himself completely to improve, fit in and contribute is a blessing.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:29 PM   #49
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

I think Mayo may be our best option at point in certain situations. I can really see him running point a la Terry when we're consistently running a two-man game with Dirk. In fact, that is the only time that Terry saw significant +/- while at the PG position is when he was playing alongside Dirk.

A two-man game with Mayo curling/rolling and both guys capable of hitting guys for a pocket three or an inside layup could be the go-to play that we've lacked all year. Sometimes our offense has been good, but we have no sure-fire plays yet.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:29 PM   #50
ReDirkulous Tyme

ReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
I think Mayo may be our best option at point in certain situations. I can really see him running point a la Terry when we're consistently running a two-man game with Dirk. In fact, that is the only time that Terry saw significant +/- while at the PG position is when he was playing alongside Dirk.

A two-man game with Mayo curling/rolling and both guys capable of hitting guys for a pocket three or an inside layup could be the go-to play that we've lacked all year. Sometimes our offense has been good, but we have no sure-fire plays yet.
I definitely agree with this. Although I've been EXTREMELY impressed with multiple characteristics/abilities that Mayo has shown, the area which concerns me most are his turnovers, specifically in big games. However, I don't think you can really fault him for this, especially this early in the season, when he went from being a 6th man to being THE MAN (with Dirk out of course) and the one who always handles the ball in crunch time. He's still getting used to it. Sometimes I just think he tries to do too much, tries to force passes because he wants to make something positive happen for his teammates. Personally, I just wish that he would be more assertive in looking for his own shot, similar to the way he did in the Houston game (obviously a single game example where he was on fire). Honestly, I think a bit more selfishness from him at times would be more beneficial to the team and would definitely cut down on some of the silly turnovers he makes. If he can cut down on his TO's though, I definitely would love to see him situationally at the point. Not only does he have a far more polished offensive game than virtually any other PG, but he would also have a big size advantage over most other 1's in the league. If he can handle the responsibility, I think Mayo could/would be a great option at the PG position for the Mavs in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394 View Post
Things in the mirror are closer than they appear.
ReDirkulous Tyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:57 PM   #51
markus1234
Platinum Member

markus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post

Yes,.... but in Atlanta Jet averaged 7.4 assists, he was a pretty solid PG. Mayo is not quite there yet.

Last edited by markus1234; 12-13-2012 at 03:00 PM.
markus1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:16 PM   #52
dirt_dobber
Diamond Member

dirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond repute

Five questions with Mavericks guard O.J. Mayo:
http://espn.go.com/nba/dailydime/_/p...-trade-targets

Q: Describe this groove you're in right now.

A: It feels good because I've been working hard. Even my years in Memphis on the bench, I understood that one day I'd get the time and moment to be able to show what I can do.

But I told Coach [Rick] Carlisle when I came here: "Stay on top of me, please, even when I have a good game, make me a better player." I just want to prove that I can win. Playing good like this, you still have to win games. That's most important.

Q: When I watched you [in Tuesday's home rout of Sacramento], you looked as confident as I've ever seen you letting the ball go. It just looked like you released it with a look on your face like there was no way in the world you could miss. Is that what's going through your mind when you're shooting the ball these days?

A: It comes from knowing where your shots are going to come from on a night-in, night-out basis. I practice those shots at night, before practice, during practice, after practice. So when you get in the game … the game is moving pretty slow to me right now.

Q: How upset were you in the summer that you basically came out of free agency with a one-year deal? (Editor's note: Mayo's contract includes a $4.2 million player option for the 2013-14 season.

A: Yeah, I was pretty disappointed. But at the end of the day, it's a business. People say that's how the market was, whatever that means. It's all good, man. I'm happy that I got the opportunity to talk to Dallas and come to Dallas. I just wanted to come here, give my all and play well here. And hopefully stay here.

Q: What do you say to the people around town who've suggested that you won't be able to score like this when Dirk [Nowitzki] comes back and you're not the No. 1 option?

A: I think it's going to be easier. [Defenses] pay a lot of attention to Dirk. He's a great player. You saw JET [Jason Terry], Mike Finley … off guards [who played] well off of him. The thing about it is, I can shoot, too. So playing off of him, he can make plays for me and I can make plays for him.

It's not like I'm trying to dominate the ball. Working together, man. I've been a starter. I've come off the bench. I understand what it takes to have every guy working together.

Q: The 3-ball is obviously working better than ever for you. How often do you take a peek at the stats to see where you are?

A: I try not to.
dirt_dobber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:38 PM   #53
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Time for some intense work how to beat double teams...
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 05:19 PM   #54
Dirk's Knee

Dirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to behold

The more I read about Mayo, the more I like him. I really, really hope we lock him up long term. I think he may actually be the guy to transition the Mavs into a post Dirk phase.
Dirk's Knee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:00 AM   #55
MavsFTR
Golden Member

MavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud of

Just entertaining the idea, but what do you think we could get for OJ Mayo on the market?
MavsFTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:26 AM   #56
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

a 2nd rounder because every teams knows that he is gonna opt out next summer.
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 12:37 AM   #57
MavsFTR
Golden Member

MavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud of

After 25 games OJ has been averaging over 20 pts per game with a fg % over 48. Can we safely assume this is his new norm or do you still expect him to come crashing down back to Earth?
MavsFTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 12:53 AM   #58
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsFTR View Post
After 25 games OJ has been averaging over 20 pts per game with a fg % over 48. Can we safely assume this is his new norm or do you still expect him to come crashing down back to Earth?
He can certainly disappear in games, but he does seem to bounce back nicely...usually. Really looked like he was truly disappointed with one of his turnovers (against the Sixers) which was nice to see. I think he really cares about his game and this team. The effort is there, no doubt.

Last edited by DevinHarriswillstart; 12-19-2012 at 12:53 AM.
DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote