Dallas-Mavs.com Forums
Old 02-26-2015, 09:05 PM   #1
KillerLeft

KillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant future
Default Help with the Rules

I'm not sure this is the right place for this, but I'm going to take a shot.

I read posted here for a while a few years back, and for the most part, I enjoyed the experience. I gave up after a while, mostly because the forum seemed a little stuffy (no offense intended). It seemed like there were a few too many rules I didn't know.

Since then, the board I have invested the majority of my Mavs-talk time into has degenerated into a cesspool fit only for middle school drop outs and the criminally insane. So, I need to come back around, if you'll have me.

My question is, what, exactly, are the rules of this place? Is humor allowed? Under what circumstances is it ok to start a new thread? How often do people use the rep system, and how seriously is it taken? Do I need to live in constant fear of pissing people off, or can I be myself?

Thanks!
KillerLeft is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-2015, 09:36 PM   #2
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

Yes.
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 09:48 PM   #3
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerLeft View Post
I'm not sure this is the right place for this, but I'm going to take a shot.

I read posted here for a while a few years back, and for the most part, I enjoyed the experience. I gave up after a while, mostly because the forum seemed a little stuffy (no offense intended). It seemed like there were a few too many rules I didn't know.

Since then, the board I have invested the majority of my Mavs-talk time into has degenerated into a cesspool fit only for middle school drop outs and the criminally insane. So, I need to come back around, if you'll have me.

My question is, what, exactly, are the rules of this place? Is humor allowed? Under what circumstances is it ok to start a new thread? How often do people use the rep system, and how seriously is it taken? Do I need to live in constant fear of pissing people off, or can I be myself?

Thanks!
The unwritten rules:

- if you make a GDT and we win, then you keep making them until we lose... Don't hijack anyone's win streak.

- language rules are looser in the GDTs because things tend to get heated, but please try to avoid f-bombs when you can.

- the rep system is pretty much binary... If you make good posts, you'll eventually get bumped up to maximum green boxes... If make troll/clown posts, you'll probably get stuck in the red and people will generally dismiss or ignore anything you have to say.

That's about it.

I remember your posts - I don't think you have anything to worry about around here... Welcome back!

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 10:55 PM   #4
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

You'll do just fine. Don't take it personally if folks disagree with you. It's a fairly thoughtful crowd here.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 11:04 PM   #5
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Half the threads devolve into debates about whether the topic (that no one ever gets around to talking about) was worth its own thread.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 01:00 AM   #6
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkadirkastan View Post
Half the threads devolve into debates about whether the topic (that no one ever gets around to talking about) was worth its own thread.
Thread-worthy?

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 11:14 AM   #7
KillerLeft

KillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant future

Thanks for the help, guys.
Old 02-27-2015, 11:23 AM   #8
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Do NOT be afraid to start threads. I don't know who spread the rumor that threads were evil, but ignore those people.

And I assume you are talking about good ole db.com. This place is the polar opposite of that.

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 11:33 AM   #9
KillerLeft

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
I assume you are talking about good ole db.com. This place is the polar opposite of that.
I am...it's a shame, really. There are ten people there who are really, really smart and with whom it's a delight to talk basketball. Then there are ten more who are only so-so basketball talkers but make up for it with a total mastery of internet humor. I really enjoy hanging out with those twenty people.

Unfortunately, the other 90% of the posters there are running us all out.
Old 02-27-2015, 02:53 PM   #10
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Forums have all been harmed by twitter and social media, but I genuinely enjoy DM.com and not just for the nostalgia going back to the Nash/Finley/Dirk years. It's still a decent forum, even if the number of contributors is very low. We have a lot of great and passionate posters and a lot more who wander in from time to time. We'd love to have you contribute here if you feel comfortable.

Underdog mostly laid out the superstitious/cultural side of things. Gameday threads are sacred, so I'd probably stay away from starting those. Everything else is fine. Generally, if you have a thought, there will mostly be a thread to discuss that thought, but if you see something you want to talk about and you think it needs a new thread, then by all means make it and also feel free to ignore those asking if it's worthy of it's own thread.

Be polite, but argue your point. Report any posts that are completely abusive to mods so we can catch them, and enjoy yourself. Rep is competely optional, but you are welcome to give positive or negative feedback for others and if people like your posts, you may get some of your own.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 02-27-2015 at 03:35 PM.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 02:48 PM   #11
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Basically, start a new thread if you want. It's not like the thread has so much traffic that it can't use new threads.
As for game day threads.. If you see that it's the day of a game and no one has started one, then go for it.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 08:03 PM   #12
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3 View Post
Basically, start a new thread if you want. It's not like the thread has so much traffic that it can't use new threads.
As for game day threads.. If you see that it's the day of a game and no one has started one, then go for it.
Was Murph really banned?
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 02:16 PM   #13
GermanDunk
Diamond Member

GermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Chummy !
Old 07-15-2019, 04:51 PM   #14
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

What is really going on here these days?
Old 07-28-2019, 01:21 AM   #15
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Man spammers like this thread. I wonder why.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 07:53 PM   #16
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
Gameday threads are sacred, so I'd probably stay away from starting those. Everything else is fine.
This reminds me of that scene from Miracle where Herb says we're changing goalies and Craig says "That's my net, you can't do that!" and Herb says "They just scored ten times, it's everybody's net now."