Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 02-18-2016, 10:35 PM   #121
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
I'm a little disappointed that we didn't make a move today, but to be honest the most I was realistically expecting was some sort of mid-end of the bench shuffling, not really anything that would really move the needle much. This roster is short on assets so I'm a little relieved that we didn't make a move just to make a move.

This summer, however.... different story.
I think the team saw Memphis tanking and thought it best to try for the 5th seed. Not making a trade should put some confidence in the current squad to get that job done. No excuses.

And if we finish 8th and get destroyed the the Warriors, then this summer better be the best summer of all time. Of course, that is assuming a CBA is swiftly agreed to which is still questionable.

Last edited by DevinHarriswillstart; 02-18-2016 at 10:36 PM.
DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-2016, 11:23 PM   #122
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
I think the team saw Memphis tanking and thought it best to try for the 5th seed. Not making a trade should put some confidence in the current squad to get that job done. No excuses.
I think you are right but I'm wondering if they also felt it was pointless to trade assets to bolster the bench when that can be accomplished with bought out players like Amare last season.

Man it'd be nice if a guy like Ryan Anderson or David Lee fell into our lap.
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 11:36 PM   #123
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimrocker View Post
Man it'd be nice if a guy like Ryan Anderson or David Lee fell into our lap.
Could a guy like Ryan Anderson or David Lee fell into the Mavericks lap?

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 03:21 AM   #124
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

Glade we didn't trade him.
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 03:51 AM   #125
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Defensively, he's actually a very good rim protector in terms of FG% and next to Drummond, the Pistons have the potential to be one of the stingiest defenses in the league.
Nice find(must spread rep). I didn't even notice how much better he is at defending inside 10ft over Ersan. Harris holds players to 6% under their season average from 10ft and in. Ersan allows players to shoot 2.4% better than their average from 10ft and in.

After seeing the other trades that went down yesterday I can't believe Magic didn't get a pick from this trade, IMO Detroit definitely got the better end. Hope they go on a run so their pick they sent to Rockets is crap.

Last edited by Bryan_Wilson; 02-19-2016 at 03:52 AM.
Old 02-19-2016, 04:44 AM   #126
Thebo

Thebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_Wilson View Post
Hope they go on a run so their pick they sent to Rockets is crap.
That's my thing with D-Mo to Detroit trade. Pistons could easily end up as 5th seed. Eastern Conference is tightly packed together and I would be surprised if Detroit misses playoffs.
Thebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 06:36 PM   #127
10AMGareDuNord
Banned

10AMGareDuNord will become famous soon enough10AMGareDuNord will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Nice find(must spread rep). I didn't even notice how much better he is at defending inside 10ft over Ersan. Harris holds players to 6% under their season average from 10ft and in. Ersan allows players to shoot 2.4% better than their average from 10ft and in.

After seeing the other trades that went down yesterday I can't believe Magic didn't get a pick from this trade, IMO Detroit definitely got the better end. Hope they go on a run so their pick they sent to Rockets is crap.
Not a nice find, and he isn't. It's called selective sample size and contextualization (not understanding these things seems to be a running theme with you...)

You know who else has a better rim protection % than Harris and Andre Drummond? Your boy Kelly Olynk...
10AMGareDuNord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 06:54 PM   #128
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

DwainPrice: Mark Cuban said during the trading period, a lot of teams wanted to pry guard Raymond Felton away from the #Mavs -- for basically peanuts.

Old 02-19-2016, 07:01 PM   #129
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
DwainPrice: Mark Cuban said during the trading period, a lot of teams wanted to pry guard Raymond Felton away from the #Mavs -- for basically peanuts.
Insome cases, Cuban values players too high...this is not one of those cases.
Old 02-19-2016, 07:04 PM   #130
10AMGareDuNord
Banned

10AMGareDuNord will become famous soon enough10AMGareDuNord will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonhead View Post
Agree. I'd trade RayRay for a 1st rounder or solid value...but he has enough value to this team to not be handed away for free (AKA a low 2nd rounder).
Old 02-19-2016, 08:15 PM   #131
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10AMGareDuNord View Post
Not a nice find, and he isn't. It's called selective sample size and contextualization (not understanding these things seems to be a running theme with you...)

You know who else has a better rim protection % than Harris and Andre Drummond? Your boy Kelly Olynk...
That's rich coming from you, the guy who uses +- stat's to convey individual performances saying someone else is using stats out of context.
Old 02-19-2016, 08:52 PM   #132
10AMGareDuNord
Banned

Quote:
That's rich coming from you, the guy who uses +- stat's to convey individual performances saying someone else is using stats out of context.
Are you legally autistic? Genuinely curious.
Old 02-19-2016, 08:54 PM   #133
GermanDunk
Diamond Member

GermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond repute

Hello !
Old 02-19-2016, 09:03 PM   #134
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10AMGareDuNord View Post
Are you legally autistic? Genuinely curious.
Dammit Cadbane, you just couldn't help yourself (again).

Old 02-20-2016, 06:02 AM   #135
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonhead View Post
I thought the Mavs might make some type of move with Felton to net a bench scorer and possibly a draft pick...for instance Nick Young and Lakers 2nd rounder (if they even have one).

But I do admit that I was kinda hoping to see one of our PGs get traded because I'm getting tired of watching so much small-ball.

Last edited by rimrocker; 02-20-2016 at 06:03 AM.
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 07:07 AM   #136
Thebo

Thebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimrocker View Post
I thought the Mavs might make some type of move with Felton to net a bench scorer and possibly a draft pick...for instance Nick Young and Lakers 2nd rounder (if they even have one).

But I do admit that I was kinda hoping to see one of our PGs get traded because I'm getting tired of watching so much small-ball.
I was hoping for it purely so that Justin Anderson would gain some playing time.
Old 02-20-2016, 08:04 PM   #137
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

After some time to reflect (also because I'm very bored), here are my trade deadline thoughts:
  • I went into this deadline with very low expectations, thinking we'd at most shed some long-term salary (Devin or JJ) or do something to shuffle pieces at the end of the bench to see if it could spark our second/third units.
  • We didn't have anything approaching a very valuable asset so our best hope this deadline would have been to take on an undesirable contract if we wanted to bring in a real difference-making player (and to be clear, I would have been willing to sacrifice cap space this summer if it meant trading for an upgrade at PG, C or bringing in a quality 6th-man type). It's pretty obvious that we weren't ever really in the running for the guys like Horford, Ryan Anderson, or even the mid-tier deadline pieces being dangled like Ben McLemore. There are about 15-20 teams that were reported to be active at the deadline that could have offered more than we did. So I don't think the deadline was necessarily a failure because we didn't land a big fish.
  • We have absolutely zero chance at winning the championship this season, that much is clear. That said, there are two different ways to approach that reality: you can do everything you can to close the gap or you can punt on the season and hope your veteran players can get you some sort of long-term building blocks (young players or draft picks) in hope of competing a few years down the line.
  • That said, if we had the chance, we should have traded Zaza since he's probably our most valuable trade asset right now, next to Justin Anderson. I know he had been a revelation as a starter and is already possibly the second-best center the team has ever had, but with that over-achievement comes a steep price: If the Mavs want to keep him beyond this season they need to be ready to pay him eight figures (I'd guess $10-12M per season). It wouldn't surprise me to see Zaza get a higher annual salary than Tyson this coming summer with the cap blowing up like it will. To me, Zaza is a VERY good backup center at this point of his career and with the game evolving like it is, but he just can't be starting for you if you're trying to win a championship. And since I don't think he's worth $10M+ and I don't think he is a guy we should be giving a multi-year contract to, I really wish we would have traded him. With Jeff Green yielding a first-round pick (and Mozgov yielding TWO just a year ago!) I feel like the Mavs probably could have gotten a first or at least two quality second-round picks for Zaza... and we should have done that, even if it meant starting Mejri or JaVale for the rest of the season.
  • Just about any piece on this roster (besides Dirk) that could have gotten us a decent first-round pick or multiple quality second-rounders probably should have been on the table as long as we weren't taking on bad salary to make it happen. The fact that we didn't do this probably means that there wasn't a ton of interest in some of the most easily-moved players on our roster, which is just the reality of the trade deadline sometimes.
  • All of this in mind, I'm also glad that our front office, for all of its faults, isn't as bad as say Sacramento's. The fact that the Kings were trying to trade for Pau Gasol this deadline tells you everything you need to know about that disastrous clusterfuck.

Here ends the rant...
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 09:43 PM   #138
Underdog

Quote:
The fact that we didn't do this probably means that there wasn't a ton of interest in some of the most easily-moved players on our roster, which is just the reality of the trade deadline sometimes.
Apparently there was interest in Felton, but teams were offering "peanuts" (I'm guessing either second-rounders or spare-ier spares than Felton...)

Old 02-20-2016, 09:57 PM   #139
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Apparently there was interest in Felton, but teams were offering "peanuts" (I'm guessing either second-rounders or spare-ier spares than Felton...)
TBH if we could get like a top-10 (or top-40, that is) second rounder for him, we should have done it. The alternative is that we lose him for nothing or we have to overpay by quite a bit to keep him... what do you guys think he gets on the open-market-on-steroids this summer? $5-7M? Hard to justify paying him that if we also have new deals to work out with Parsons, Williams, Powell, etc...
Old 02-20-2016, 10:25 PM   #140
Underdog

Quote:
TBH if we could get like a top-10 (or top-40, that is) second rounder for him, we should have done it. The alternative is that we lose him for nothing or we have to overpay by quite a bit to keep him... what do you guys think he gets on the open-market-on-steroids this summer? $5-7M? Hard to justify paying him that if we also have new deals to work out with Parsons, Williams, Powell, etc...
With Harris and Barea under contract for multiple seasons, I think we'll probably let Felton walk this summer... But $5-7m sounds about right.

Last edited by Underdog; 02-20-2016 at 10:25 PM.
Old 02-21-2016, 04:46 AM   #141
Thebo

Quote:
I went into this deadline with very low expectations, thinking we'd at most shed some long-term salary (Devin or JJ) or do something to shuffle pieces at the end of the bench to see if it could spark our second/third units.
I was at the very least hoping that if Felton stays, then either JJ or Devin goes. Just to open some cap space. But I'm not that certain that Felton walks after this season. Mavs may have been reluctant to trade him because they own Bird Rights for him.

Quote:
That said, if we had the chance, we should have traded Zaza since he's probably our most valuable trade asset right now, next to Justin Anderson. I know he had been a revelation as a starter and is already possibly the second-best center the team has ever had, but with that over-achievement comes a steep price: If the Mavs want to keep him beyond this season they need to be ready to pay him eight figures (I'd guess $10-12M per season). It wouldn't surprise me to see Zaza get a higher annual salary than Tyson this coming summer with the cap blowing up like it will. To me, Zaza is a VERY good backup center at this point of his career and with the game evolving like it is, but he just can't be starting for you if you're trying to win a championship. And since I don't think he's worth $10M+ and I don't think he is a guy we should be giving a multi-year contract to, I really wish we would have traded him. With Jeff Green yielding a first-round pick (and Mozgov yielding TWO just a year ago!) I feel like the Mavs probably could have gotten a first or at least two quality second-round picks for Zaza... and we should have done that, even if it meant starting Mejri or JaVale for the rest of the season.
Mavs may have an agenda here, too. It's quite clear that Mavs will have a run at D12 this summer and they will own Bird Rights to Zaza. The question is if Cuban is ready to pay for Howard and then have Zaza as most expensive backup.
Old 02-21-2016, 03:24 PM   #142
spreedom
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebo View Post
I was at the very least hoping that if Felton stays, then either JJ or Devin goes. Just to open some cap space. But I'm not that certain that Felton walks after this season. Mavs may have been reluctant to trade him because they own Bird Rights for him.
Good call, and potentially cagey move by the MBT. If we're able to do some sort of salary dump on JJ AND Harris, then we could essentially sign Felton using Barea's salary slot. I think Felton's cap hold is going to be about $7.5M this summer, so moving Harris and/or (preferably) Barea would offset that cap hold for sure. That's a great call... I didn't realize we held his Bird Rights and that makes me pretty optimistic that we're going to keep him around. I just hope the roster is such that we're able to use him as a 10-15MPG backup instead of a 30MPG supersub that closes a lot of games. I like Felton's game but he isn't right in that role.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebo View Post
Mavs may have an agenda here, too. It's quite clear that Mavs will have a run at D12 this summer and they will own Bird Rights to Zaza. The question is if Cuban is ready to pay for Howard and then have Zaza as most expensive backup.
Zaza's cap hold is a hair under $10M... it would have to be pretty clever cap maneuvering to be able to sign him to market value AFTER signing Dwight and presumably taking care of Parsons. Parsons' cap hold is going to be about $19.2M assuming he opts out.

Numbers are really starting to add up... I think we probably have to renounce both of Zaza/Felton if we want to have sufficient space to re-sign Parsons and Dwight.
Old 03-12-2016, 01:14 PM   #143
Underdog

@espn_macmahon: Asked if he's concerned about the long-term value of Wesley Matthews' contract, Mark Cuban said: "Not at all. We got a lot of interest in him before the deadline, not that we were looking to trade him."

Old 03-12-2016, 01:18 PM   #144
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
@espn_macmahon: Asked if he's concerned about the long-term value of Wesley Matthews' contract, Mark Cuban said: "Not at all. We got a lot of interest in him before the deadline, not that we were looking to trade him."
He might have had some value then. Can't see that value anymore. A lot can change in a short time.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 08:59 PM   #145
Skywalker
Diamond Member

Skywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond repute

Trade everybody.

Quote:
Dirk Nowitzki is a monster of epic and unattainable proportion. Seriously, he must be stopped.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 08:59 PM   #146
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Cuban straight bullshitting
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 12:03 PM   #147
Thebo

I'm quite sure there were a couple of teams gauging if Mavs are willing to let Matthews go for nothing. I doubt there were any strong offers, just people willing to take a chance with him and offering bench players in return.
Old 03-13-2016, 11:04 PM   #148
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

I would've taken cap space for Wes without thinking twice. After consulting with RC, Dirk and CP of course.
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote