Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 11-03-2021, 11:42 PM   #41
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

Luka was outplayed by Brunson, but I really don’t think the +/- numbers tell the whole story. At one point Luka was out there with Brown, WCS, and Ntlikina. Like wtf can he do with that?

Brunson and Boban were the reason we won that game. Powell also started very strong. Luka is so much better with a legit roll man. For all the flak Powell gets, he sets great screens and catches lobs (usually).
Old 11-03-2021, 11:46 PM   #42
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

By the way… after everything (new coaches, new system, KP/ Maxi hurt, Luka out of shape, etc.) we are #3 in the West. I don’t think we’re legit contenders, but I think we can make a run if the stars align.
Old 11-04-2021, 01:15 AM   #43
saclare
Platinum Member

saclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap2390 View Post
By the way… after everything (new coaches, new system, KP/ Maxi hurt, Luka out of shape, etc.) we are #3 in the West. I don’t think we’re legit contenders, but I think we can make a run if the stars align.
Or if a move is made...but that could be a whole other thread come closer to the deadline.
saclare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 09:30 AM   #44
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by saclare View Post
Or if a move is made...but that could be a whole other thread come closer to the deadline.
They have to shake up this roster. I know we are only a few weeks in, but this team has 1st round exit written all over it. Brunson is really the only trade asset we have, but I don’t know what kind of an upgrade he gets us.
BPo001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 09:46 AM   #45
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

You know, I remember Brunson and Luka's rookie year where they experimented starting Brunson with Luka when we no longer had depth after the KP trade. And it was against the Spurs when he really showed his abilities.

I'm starting to think Brunson is more of a 2 guard in a pg's body, but that can work starting next to a taller Luka.

Still haven to figure out the rest of the lineup though. The bench is pathetic without Brunson coming off it.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 09:57 AM   #46
tap2390
Diamond Member

Couple on notes from attending the game in person:

1) Josh Green is definitely not as tall as advertised;

2) Boban and KP are basically eye to eye;

3) Boban is the nicest guy in the world, promised a kid mid-game he would sign his jersey and then did after the game;

4) For all the talk about Luka getting frustrated with non-calls, THJ is by far the worst at maintaining his composure when he's upset... he was visibly frustrated for much of the game and with many of the calls

5) KP is rail thin, I'm not surprised at all that he struggles in the post. He simply doesn't have the lower body mass to be successful there;

6) Kidd is composed, energetic, and you can tell the players like him. Good play or bad play he is encouraging his guys and is very steady. He also gets a lot of respect from the refs (and from Pop).

7) I'm all aboard the KP for Simmons train.
Old 11-04-2021, 11:17 AM   #47
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
You know, I remember Brunson and Luka's rookie year where they experimented starting Brunson with Luka when we no longer had depth after the KP trade. And it was against the Spurs when he really showed his abilities.

I'm starting to think Brunson is more of a 2 guard in a pg's body, but that can work starting next to a taller Luka.

Still haven to figure out the rest of the lineup though. The bench is pathetic without Brunson coming off it.
Based on what I've seen this bench unit could work if given time

PG-Frank
SG-THJ
SF-Bullock
C-Boban/WCS (Based on matchups)

My starters would be Luka, Brunson, DFS, Kleber & KP

I'd go with that 9/10 man rotation as the every night lineups and then sprinkle in guys like Sterling Brown and Powell on a low minute bases
Dallas41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 11:23 AM   #48
tap2390
Diamond Member

I don’t think Powell is leaving the starting lineup. He’s been my punching bag, but honestly I see why. Luka doesn’t have elite speed that would allow him to beat someone off the dribble regularly. Powell takes up so much space and is absolutely elite at setting moving screens without getting called for them. He’s crucial to Luka’s success (for better or worse). Do I wish he was John Collins? Yes. But I’m glad he isn’t Eubanks.
Old 11-04-2021, 11:54 AM   #49
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I don’t think Powell is leaving the starting lineup. He’s been my punching bag, but honestly I see why. Luka doesn’t have elite speed that would allow him to beat someone off the dribble regularly. Powell takes up so much space and is absolutely elite at setting moving screens without getting called for them. He’s crucial to Luka’s success (for better or worse). Do I wish he was John Collins? Yes. But I’m glad he isn’t Eubanks.
Bro, he's been called for numerous moving screens this season alone...and at crucial times. Him setting better picks/screens than KP Maxi or Boban isn't saying a lot IMO. If you contribute next to nothing offensively you can't have ANY offensive fouls that give away possessions.

Judging him against nobody's should make him look okay. But against other playoff teams he is getting blasted, and in embarrassing fashion. I believe he had 2 offensive fouls last night vs the Spurs and you just can't have that from a guy who contributes no points, assists or rebounds.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 12:34 PM   #50
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Still don't understand not giving Moses a shot. And for people to jump onto thinking he will just foul out of the game, well, he only averaged 2.2 PF a game for OKC.

Old 11-04-2021, 01:08 PM   #51
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Still don't understand not giving Moses a shot. And for people to jump onto thinking he will just foul out of the game, well, he only averaged 2.2 PF a game for OKC.
Same with Omoruyi.

Old 11-04-2021, 02:24 PM   #52
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

It is absolutely maddening that Brunson is an UFA this summer. So you either have to wayyy overpay him (and even then he might not stay so he can be a lead guard somewhere else) or you have trade him. And overpaying him puts us in the continuous cycle of loving our own guys while not being a contender.

The FO ineptitude keeps on a truckin!

Old 11-04-2021, 02:47 PM   #53
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
It is absolutely maddening that Brunson is an UFA this summer. So you either have to wayyy overpay him (and even then he might not stay so he can be a lead guard somewhere else) or you have trade him. And overpaying him puts us in the continuous cycle of loving our own guys while not being a contender.

The FO ineptitude keeps on a truckin!
FO can only offer him 12m a year. If he takes it, cool.

Brunson would be insane to take 12. He's producing like he should be worth 20-25.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 03:02 PM   #54
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
FO can only offer him 12m a year. If he takes it, cool.

Brunson would be insane to take 12. He's producing like he should be worth 20-25.
Do we not have his bird rights next summer? I thought we could pay him whatever max he could get.

Unless you're referring to extending him now. I think the issue is that the contract could have been done where he was an RFA this summer versus a UFA. That would put us in the driver's seat of at least getting back assets if he wanted to move on.

Last edited by DevinHarriswillstart; 11-04-2021 at 03:03 PM.
Old 11-04-2021, 03:07 PM   #55
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Do we not have his bird rights next summer? I thought we could pay him whatever max he could get.

Unless you're referring to extending him now. I think the issue is that the contract could have been done where he was an RFA this summer versus a UFA. That would put us in the driver's seat of at least getting back assets if he wanted to move on.
Yeah, we have full bird rights so once he becomes a UFA, we can pay him anything we want including the supermax.

The bad news is that just like Nash, he can choose to walk.

Right now we can lock him up via extension, but he'd be stupid to take only 12m
Old 11-04-2021, 03:34 PM   #56
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Yeah, we have full bird rights so once he becomes a UFA, we can pay him anything we want including the supermax.

The bad news is that just like Nash, he can choose to walk.

Right now we can lock him up via extension, but he'd be stupid to take only 12m
Shame we have one of the worst FOs in the league. I think we can all agree that we'd like to keep him, but unfortunately a deadline trade might make the most sense. Losing him for nothing would be disastrous. And it could be a very likely scenario if the Mavs don't win a lot of games.

Old 11-04-2021, 03:36 PM   #57
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Shame we have one of the worst FOs in the league. I think we can all agree that we'd like to keep him, but unfortunately a deadline trade might make the most sense. Losing him for nothing would be disastrous. And it could be a very likely scenario if the Mavs don't win a lot of games.
I think they have to move him, but they won’t pending an offer for a star player they can’t refuse. I think it’s likely he walks in the offseason for more money and/or a bigger role.
Old 11-04-2021, 03:45 PM   #58
turin
Diamond Member

turin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPo001 View Post
I think they have to move him, but they won’t pending an offer for a star player they can’t refuse. I think it’s likely he walks in the offseason for more money and/or a bigger role.
This is what will happen. He's as good as gone.

The upside is that we will have room for yet another former Knick. :-O

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited by turin; 11-04-2021 at 03:47 PM.
turin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 04:09 PM   #59
tap2390
Diamond Member

Do Brunson and Porzingis get you Ben Simmons?
Old 11-04-2021, 04:25 PM   #60
turin
Diamond Member

turin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant future

Quote:
I was thinking the exact same thing, but I'll let you fade the heat for bringing it up. LOL

Last edited by turin; 11-04-2021 at 04:25 PM.
Old 11-04-2021, 04:29 PM   #61
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
The worst part of this is the fact that Brunson would be better off playing next to Simmons.

Luka/Brunson/THJ/Simmons/Please not Powell.

Old 11-04-2021, 04:36 PM   #62
turin
Diamond Member

Quote:
The worst part of this is the fact that Brunson would be better off playing next to Simmons.

Luka/Brunson/THJ/Simmons/Please not Powell.
I actually like the idea of JB and Simmons playing together. Heck put Luka out there with them as a point sf.

Too bad DFS is sucking so hard. Offer KP and DFS for Simmons.

Old 11-04-2021, 05:46 PM   #63
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Mavs blowing it until they are desperate enough to get a washed-up primadonna like Simmons would be the most 2011-2020 Mavs move ever.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 11-04-2021 at 05:47 PM.
Old 11-04-2021, 07:40 PM   #64
turin
Diamond Member

Quote:
Mavs blowing it until they are desperate enough to get a washed-up primadonna like Simmons would be the most 2011-2020 Mavs move ever.
I think a lot of us are at our wits end after watching what seems like the same lineups for 3+ years. At least the silly trade talks are somewhat entertaining.

Old 11-04-2021, 08:18 PM   #65
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Deal if they include Curry coming back to Dallas

The Sixers fleeced us on that deal for Curry and dude has turned into a legitimate weapon for them on a nightly basis and he wasn't lying when he said the Mavs would regret making that deal

Last edited by Dallas41; 11-04-2021 at 08:18 PM.
Dallas41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 08:42 PM   #66
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas41 View Post

The Sixers fleeced us on that deal for Curry and dude has turned into a legitimate weapon for them on a nightly basis and he wasn't lying when he said the Mavs would regret making that deal
We only got fleeced because we literally have no assets to trade. All arrows point to 2019 FA per usual. At least they tried to improve the defense. And at least we got a promising young center from the Celtics who were also dumb enough to trade for him.

Old 11-04-2021, 11:28 PM   #67
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Mavs still 3rd in the west.
Old 11-04-2021, 11:45 PM   #68
Zeus

Zeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Based on what I've seen this bench unit could work if given time

PG-Frank
SG-THJ
SF-Bullock
C-Boban/WCS (Based on matchups)

My starters would be Luka, Brunson, DFS, Kleber & KP

I'd go with that 9/10 man rotation as the every night lineups and then sprinkle in guys like Sterling Brown and Powell on a low minute bases
So you are saying Josh Green still has no discernible basketball skills.
Zeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 05:31 AM   #69
dirt_dobber
Diamond Member

dirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
So you are saying Josh Green still has no discernible basketball skills.
I see what you did there.
Hilarious.
dirt_dobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 08:09 AM   #70
BPo001
Diamond Member

Quote:

They aren’t trading Curry back to us. He’s currently averaging 17ppg on 61% shooting / 53% from 3. I thought the deal for Richardson was good for both teams, but we all know how lopsided that deal turned out to be.
Old 11-05-2021, 01:53 PM   #71
saclare
Platinum Member

saclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant future

You don't trade shooters in a shooter's league. Curry was and is a straight baller, never liked that trade to begin with, despite having higher hopes for Richardson here.
saclare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 05:27 PM   #72
SMC0007
Guru

Eh. I liked Curry but he was a filter on the defensive end and we needed more of a 2 way player. Hell he couldn't even play defense after about 3 weeks. Terrible trade in hindsight, but it wasn't terrible in the moment.