Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 11-16-2021, 10:27 PM   #81
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

All I'm going to say is J.Kidd should be in the running for coach of the year if he continues to win at this pace.

I'm impressed with his usage of KP and his work with Frank Nitkilina. I know it's still early but but under the old coaching regime I don't think either guy would be as productive.

Mavs might actually surprise us and finish in the top 4 out west if they remain healthy.
Dallas41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-2021, 12:04 AM   #82
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas41 View Post
All I'm going to say is J.Kidd should be in the running for coach of the year if he continues to win at this pace.

I'm impressed with his usage of KP and his work with Frank Nitkilina. I know it's still early but but under the old coaching regime I don't think either guy would be as productive.

Mavs might actually surprise us and finish in the top 4 out west if they remain healthy.
It would take Rick 65 games before he decided to give Frank hard minutes. KP agree wouldn’t be as productive. It seemed like they had been resigned to having KP forever in the corner.
Old 11-17-2021, 09:53 AM   #83
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonhead View Post
It would take Rick 65 games before he decided to give Frank hard minutes. KP agree wouldn’t be as productive. It seemed like they had been resigned to having KP forever in the corner.
It’s strange that KP wasn’t just standing in the corner all season, but come playoff time that’s what he was asked to do. I still think Rick is a great coach, but it was time to move in and get a fresh voice in here that can relate to these younger guys.
BPo001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 10:10 AM   #84
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Well KP wouldn't be here if Rick was still coach. That was near Ben Simmons level of embarrassment between the two of them.

I have little to complain about with Kidd, but the same issues that we've had the past few seasons are still there. It's a talent problem versus a coaching one. We have improved a bit on defense and rebounding though.

The big glaring issue is opp. points allowed in the paint. 26th in that category. Upgrading center should be the priority.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 11:00 AM   #85
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
The big glaring issue is opp. points allowed in the paint. 26th in that category. Upgrading center should be the priority.
Sadly I don't think our interior defense will improve without a trade.

KP - has had a game of 3 blocks and a game of 4, but only averaging 1.5 blocks. He's a matador on defense against forwards (and even quick centers like Bol Bol) and refuses to play center. So...shrug?

Boban - does not have the lateral movement and can't play more than 15-20. He does clog the paint, though.

WCS - just dumb as a rock and is always out of position. If he had good instincts, he would have the physical tools to be a weak-side shot-blocker and decent defender, but he is infuriatingly bad at just basics of defense.

Powell - not a shotblocker. He's 0.9 bpg this year. Before that, the most he ever had was 0.6. He hustles, gets into position, makes decent decisions, but just does not have the tools to be a defensive anchor.

Kleber - Probably our best defender. Really harasses forwards and centers. Pretty solid weak-side shotblocker averaging a career-high 1.2BPG. Definitely a positive, particularly with his 48% shooting from three, but at best he's a backup 3/4/5.

Brown - potential. He's averaging 12pts, 10reb, 4blocks per 36 for us this year. 20pts, 20reb, 2.5blocks last year. The problem? Those per 36 numbers for us are based on a total of 18 minutes played. Still very raw, but with Tyson's mentorship, he could be good. Kidd just won't play him (yet). Maybe we see him crack 5-10 a night late year and depend on him more next year?
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 12:27 PM   #86
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
Sadly I don't think our interior defense will improve without a trade.

KP - has had a game of 3 blocks and a game of 4, but only averaging 1.5 blocks. He's a matador on defense against forwards (and even quick centers like Bol Bol) and refuses to play center. So...shrug?

Boban - does not have the lateral movement and can't play more than 15-20. He does clog the paint, though.

WCS - just dumb as a rock and is always out of position. If he had good instincts, he would have the physical tools to be a weak-side shot-blocker and decent defender, but he is infuriatingly bad at just basics of defense.

Powell - not a shotblocker. He's 0.9 bpg this year. Before that, the most he ever had was 0.6. He hustles, gets into position, makes decent decisions, but just does not have the tools to be a defensive anchor.

Kleber - Probably our best defender. Really harasses forwards and centers. Pretty solid weak-side shotblocker averaging a career-high 1.2BPG. Definitely a positive, particularly with his 48% shooting from three, but at best he's a backup 3/4/5.

Brown - potential. He's averaging 12pts, 10reb, 4blocks per 36 for us this year. 20pts, 20reb, 2.5blocks last year. The problem? Those per 36 numbers for us are based on a total of 18 minutes played. Still very raw, but with Tyson's mentorship, he could be good. Kidd just won't play him (yet). Maybe we see him crack 5-10 a night late year and depend on him more next year?
Nice breakdown. I like the potential in Moses and think he can be a Nic Claxton or Gafford type for us. He has physical tools you can’t teach. I have seen him out of position a couple times in his limited minutes and Bullock (I think it was) barked at him as he missed a defensive rotation. I think he needs to demonstrate more baseline competency before he gets time again, but I hope he gets another shot because WCS has been bad.
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 02:43 PM   #87
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
https://sports.yahoo.com/demar-deroz...180945526.html

Sounds like it was a two-dog race between the Lakers and Bulls.

Lakers and Bulls were offering 26mill
Mavs had 9.5mill

Mavs were never in the DeRozan race in the first place.
What about Spencer DinWiddie i recall reading the Mavs were interested but seems like they never made a play for him either
Dallas41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 04:41 PM   #88
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas41 View Post
What about Spencer DinWiddie i recall reading the Mavs were interested but seems like they never made a play for him either
These were the two guys I do think we could have gotten had we really tried, but the point is moot now.

Good news is that there are positive things happening on the playmaking front especially in November. THJ is up to 2.4 assists per game and is actually contributing in other ways no when his shot isn't going. That NEVER happened under Rick. That's more assists than Evan Fournier who is has been a real disappointment on the Knicks.

Then you add in Frank and Brunson, and we are just holding on with playmaking.

Will be really interesting to see what happens tonight, oh yeah, forgot about the GDT.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote