Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 11-17-2004, 02:56 AM   #1
bloodyhell

bloodyhell is on a distinguished road
Default The most obvious problems we had against the suns and How to beat them next time.

Dirk shot somewhat terrible and had to struggle and create very bad shots once again. He's still not getting good shots and passes from the pg's imo. Until he gets better options on his shots, episodes like this will be more common imo. Now we can all see how amazing nash really was and how great he can make other players. Having said that, dirk is still great on his own but if he only gets bad shots or has to create out of nothing, we are sunk. Especially if he's off.

Having said that, i think we will have a far better game against them next time we meet. As a team We didn't shoot to well at all. Our passing was horrendous and our movement off the ball was complete crap. imo We couldn't get a defensive rebound to save our lives.

Bradley made some mistakes but he almost saved our asses in their last night and was somewhat impressive at points. Most of those calls on him were bogus imo. The refs were also terrible and laker esque last night but make no mistake about it. we sucked last night.

To do better i firmly believe we may need a different 3rd man. Someone who can match up against the suns. i'd suggest someone fast and with strength and jumping ability. One thing that can be said about the suns is they are fast, strong and hyper active jumpers. Too bad we don't have a robert javtokas type on our team. That dude blocked Amare twice in the olympics. But make no mistake we may very well need someone hyper like that, come playoff time. Najera is missed in that instance imo. He was great at annoying people at the 3 and 4.

Nash was excellent and really makes everyone on that team look awesome. It will be tough to stop them in the future. I think we need more energy in the 3 position and at the 5 as well, against them. Henderson won't be fast enough imo and our others aren't strong enough at the 3 and 5 imo. Dampier is clearly too slow there. imo

It was so bad that i was saying to myself, we actually need a hero or someone big and mean to just come in and beat some people up. They were embarrassing us with dunks. It reminded me, when the italian team played the u.s. in the olympics and they wouldn't allow one single dunk from our team. All they'd do was foul. Marconato and galanda would foul amare and anyone else who tried. It was like a mental breakdown for the u.s. team, not getting dunks. They were brutal and cruel. They'd foul all day if they had to. It was beautiful.
We could have used some cheap and hard fouls last night. Bradley was great but he's too nice at times. I was actually hoping ssomeone would go over and sucker punch one their players. I was hoping we could bring in pavel to bang those idiots around if not start a fight.
They just killed us. We might as well had started throwing elbows and punches at them to shake them up a bit. Put them on their asses like shaq or laimbeer would. Instead we got bitchslapped.

Next time we better come out intense, pissed and focused or we're f'd.

Old 11-17-2004, 11:27 AM   #2
jacktruth
Golden Member

jacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud of
Default RE:The most obvious problems we had against the suns and How to beat them next time.

I think having Dampier out was a huge blow against this team. He's not a great leaper, but he is a big body and may have stopped some of those easy O-boards. He could have shut down a few of those put-baks/dunks too. Bradley just isn't going to stop power players like that. Refs have too short of a whistle on him.

Najera? Come on, he would have gotten creamed last night. Marion-Stoudemire are unstoppable against smaller guys, especially when they get the ball 3 feet from the rim.
jacktruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 11:44 AM   #3
sbjensen

sbjensen will become famous soon enough
Default RE:The most obvious problems we had against the suns and How to beat them next time.

Many of the Suns' offensive rebounds came during second half, when the Mavs were playing zone. As long-time Mavs' followers know all too well, it is very difficult to get proper rebounding position from the zone.

Of course, the primary reason they went to zone was b/c Dampier was not available, and Bradley is best in a zone (especially against a quick, athletic interior team like Phoenix).

So, I agree that Damp's absence hurt -- a lot. Despite that, I also agree that Bradley was great last night. He disrupted Phoenix's offense. Ultimately, however, I think he ran out of steam. Plus, playing a zone against a good team for more than about 8 minutes at a time will ultimately lead to the zone being picked apart. The Sun's field goal percentage tailed way off by the end of the third quarter, but climbed back during the last 8-9 minutes of the game. I think that was the combined effect of Bradley running out of gas, Hendu being overwhelmed by Stoudemire for the few minutes he was in and the Mavs went back to a man-to-man, and the Suns finally getting the hang of executing against the zone.

I disagree that the answer is some Najera-type small forward. Josh Howard does just fine at that position, and we are highly unlikely to get a defensive upgrade from him. Damp's physical presence in the middle would have been a big factor last night, if he could have managed to stay out of foul trouble (a BIG "if").
Old 11-17-2004, 11:55 AM   #4
vinnieponte

vinnieponte is on a distinguished road

just stop letting the suns dunk in our faces would be a start, and teach our boys how to finish a lay up, and teach tehm how to slam that damn ball in, since we didn't learn last night.
Old 11-17-2004, 12:25 PM   #5
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

We need a pg who can pass. I don't mind Dirk getting the ball on every possesion but I don't like when he has to become playmaker. I want the point guard on this team to have the ball atleast 50% of the time. I don't like how the only way we can score is if we play one on one.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 12:33 PM   #6
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

It's just one game. We needed Dampier really badly, Dirk sucked, we lost Terry who was really playing well for us as a point, but most of all the game illustrated something we really needed to see.

It was about time that we faced real adversity and learned as a team that it takes 48 minutes of effort and not just hot shooting to win a game. We cannot warm up on the court anymore. I'm glad it happened at after 8 games rather than after 60 or 82. The team intellectually understood that they had to play hard but after repeatedly putting in zero effort and winning in the second half, it wasn't drilled into them that the first half matters. A few more losses might get it into their heads.

EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 03:35 PM   #7
SeriousSummer
Golden Member

SeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant future

The Mavs had several problems:

1. It's obvious the injuries had a large effect, but I think there was a bigger problem.

2. At the beginning of the game the Suns ran their whole defense against Dirk. He made several excellent passes to Howard/Daniels/Harris and they couldn't finish or hit the open shot. Dirk compensated by taking the ball to the basket and drawing fouls. Stackhouse came in and helped on offense, but, face it folks, right now the vaunted Mavs offense is down to two weapons--Dirk and Stack.

3. The Suns were dominating the boards. and then Damp was injured. Booth was no help on the boards, leaving the whole burden on Dirk.

4. Terry is the Mavs third-best offensive weapon (with Finley on the IR) and the player with the best chance of slowing Nash's offense because of his quickness. He's also a key to trying to tire Nash out and/or harass Johnson when Nash was out. Terry went down hurt.

5. When Dirk went out with five fouls (the last one was stupid on his part, an obvious retaliation for the foul not called on Stoudemire), Nelson had no choice but to try one of his tricks--the zone with Bradley anchoring it. It worked well and the Mavs got some help on offense from Harris and Stackhouse, but like all gimmicks, the secret is to not stay with it too long. After the Mavs went up five, you knew Nelson was thinking about bringing Dirk back and going away from the zone. The minute the lead was cut to three, Dirk went to the scorers table. Unfortunately by the time he got in, the Mavs were already behind.

6. Henderson couldn't handle Amare on the boards, Nash played great and Phoenix won. But the problem wasn't Dirk's "poor" (at 20 and 16) game. The problem was without Damp Dallas didn't compete on the boards well enough (except what Dirk did) and without Terry and Finley Dallas didn't have enough firepower to make Phoenix pay for concentrating on Dirk.
SeriousSummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 06:28 PM   #8
The Miles

The Miles is on a distinguished road

Quote:

To do better i firmly believe we may need a different 3rd man. Someone who can match up against the suns. i'd suggest someone fast and with strength and jumping ability. One thing that can be said about the suns is they are fast, strong and hyper active jumpers. Too bad we don't have a robert javtokas type on our team. That dude blocked Amare twice in the olympics. But make no mistake we may very well need someone hyper like that, come playoff time. Najera is missed in that instance imo. He was great at annoying people at the 3 and 4.
Mbenga should become that player, I am suprised we didn't see him some last night. He is *that* guy, he just needs to learn the offense to get on the court.

Quote:

4. Terry is the Mavs third-best offensive weapon (with Finley on the IR) and the player with the best chance of slowing Nash's offense because of his quickness. He's also a key to trying to tire Nash out and/or harass Johnson when Nash was out. Terry went down hurt.
I thought Devin Harris was fantastic. He is quicker then Terry and Nash had 9 TOs. Only thing that I see JT having over Devin at this point is outside shooting. Harris is faster, quicker. more athletic, better at getting to the hole, a better passer, better on the ball defender, about equal off the ball, both are good playing passing lanes. The more Devin gets to play, the better his outside shot should get, and the better we will become. Harris needs to work on keeping his dribble alive and he did that well last night, but he has to do it more often.

"When you (Coach Johnson) get behind your players like that it’s something special. He’s the general and we are soldiers, you go out there and want to lay it all on the line…that’s the type of situation I wanted to be in."-Doug Christie
The Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 07:40 PM   #9
bloodyhell

Yeah well that's what I think about pavel. I want pavel before I want mbenga. Why? Because pavel has a little more experience and is a bigger body. I don't think mbenga has what it takes and he's got no credentials except being a black belt or some stupid unimportant crap like that.

>Mbenga should become that player, I am suprised we didn't see him some last night. He is *that* guy, he just needs to learn the offense to get on the court.
Old 11-17-2004, 10:07 PM   #10
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: bloodyhell
Yeah well that's what I think about pavel. I want pavel before I want mbenga. Why? Because pavel has a little more experience and is a bigger body. I don't think mbenga has what it takes and he's got no credentials except being a black belt or some stupid unimportant crap like that.

>Mbenga should become that player, I am suprised we didn't see him some last night. He is *that* guy, he just needs to learn the offense to get on the court.
I have watched 'em both play. DJ to me is much more NBA ready than Pavel.

V2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 11:08 PM   #11
bloodyhell

>I have watched 'em both play.

So have I and pavel is more ready than dj(mr falls on his ass).
Old 11-17-2004, 11:43 PM   #12
The Miles

The Miles is on a distinguished road
Default RE: The most obvious problems we had against the suns and How to beat them next time.

No way, Mbenga is light years ahead of Pavel and I wonder if Pavel will ever be able to catch up to him. Once Mbenga develops his rebounding and an understanding for the playbook he will be really, really good.

"When you (Coach Johnson) get behind your players like that it’s something special. He’s the general and we are soldiers, you go out there and want to lay it all on the line…that’s the type of situation I wanted to be in."-Doug Christie
The Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 11:58 PM   #13
bloodyhell

>No way, Mbenga is light years ahead of Pavel

How do you figure? Because he knows karate and falls on his ass?

>and I wonder if Pavel will ever be able to catch up to him.

Please, pavel dosen't fall on his ass like mbenga does.

>Once Mbenga develops his rebounding and an understanding for the playbook he will be really, really good.

We don't have 10 years for him to learn the game.
Old 11-18-2004, 11:09 AM   #14
jibikao

jibikao is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: SeriousSummer
The Mavs had several problems:

1. It's obvious the injuries had a large effect, but I think there was a bigger problem.

2. At the beginning of the game the Suns ran their whole defense against Dirk. He made several excellent passes to Howard/Daniels/Harris and they couldn't finish or hit the open shot. Dirk compensated by taking the ball to the basket and drawing fouls. Stackhouse came in and helped on offense, but, face it folks, right now the vaunted Mavs offense is down to two weapons--Dirk and Stack.

3. The Suns were dominating the boards. and then Damp was injured. Booth was no help on the boards, leaving the whole burden on Dirk.

5. When Dirk went out with five fouls (the last one was stupid on his part, an obvious retaliation for the foul not called on Stoudemire), Nelson had no choice but to try one of his tricks--the zone with Bradley anchoring it. It worked well and the Mavs got some help on offense from Harris and Stackhouse, but like all gimmicks, the secret is to not stay with it too long. After the Mavs went up five, you knew Nelson was thinking about bringing Dirk back and going away from the zone. The minute the lead was cut to three, Dirk went to the scorers table. Unfortunately by the time he got in, the Mavs were already behind.

6. Henderson couldn't handle Amare on the boards, Nash played great and Phoenix won. But the problem wasn't Dirk's "poor" (at 20 and 16) game. The problem was without Damp Dallas didn't compete on the boards well enough (except what Dirk did) and without Terry and Finley Dallas didn't have enough firepower to make Phoenix pay for concentrating on Dirk.

Great analysis imo. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Injury does hurt a team a lot especially with Dirk having 5 fouls. Dirk probably won't have 5 fouls if Damp was in the game, right? So overall, everything is linked together. One bad injury can cause a game.

Dirk did the smart thing to go inside when his shots don't go in. He has the ability to draw many fouls.

Another problem is passing. Dallas' ball movement is just bad when their shots don't go in.

Jimmy

www.keepshooting.com
jibikao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 06:34 PM   #15
Turkey
Banned

Turkey can only hope to improve

Injury's were not the problem of the game. We would still have gotten beaten cuz we suck.
Look at previous games. Were we ever that great?
Thankyou.
Turkey is offline   Reply With Quote