Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 11-17-2004, 03:40 PM   #281
SeriousSummer
Golden Member

SeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant future
Default RE:Phoenix @ Dallas Gameday Thread

Quote:
Still can't figure out why booth wasn't put on him out there in the second half. Has anyone heard of why booth is in the doghouse?
My guess is, the way Booth played in the first half.
SeriousSummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-2004, 03:55 PM   #282
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Phoenix @ Dallas Gameday Thread

Dang that's deep ss.... Care to elaborate a little bit?
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 06:31 PM   #283
endtroducing
Golden Member

endtroducing is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: FreshJive
Quote:
Originally posted by: endtroducing
yeah, 8 games into the year and coming off a high ankle sprain with little to no preseason or camp play...perfect barometer to judge a guy

I'm a huge Daniels fan. Only judging his performance so far. He has not been good. Have you watched the games?
I've listened to the games that I've been able to listen to, and I watched the Miami game...I know how things are going, at least. I'm not into trashing our players.
Old 11-17-2004, 07:55 PM   #284
bloodyhell

bloodyhell is on a distinguished road

>Based on my observations, Daniels' "ballhog" tendencies manifest themselves mostly on the break,

No i really think he shoots it too much even in the half court set, not just the break. If it were like you said, we might not have as many problems with him in the shooting too much regaurd..

Old 11-17-2004, 08:38 PM   #285
Bookit
Diamond Member

Bookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally posted by: bloodyhell
>Based on my observations, Daniels' "ballhog" tendencies manifest themselves mostly on the break,

No i really think he shoots it too much even in the half court set, not just the break. If it were like you said, we might not have as many problems with him in the shooting too much regaurd..

Actually, Daniels is one of the best percentage shooters on the team. Maybe next to Dirk his percentage is the best. Nellie wants Daniels to post up more often in the half court. Daniels just hasn't knocked the rust off yet. Give him time.
Bookit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 08:42 PM   #286
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I've defended Marquis as a point based on his numbers last year, which were quite solid when playing the 1. His numbers playing the point this year don't deserve to be defended, so I won't. He's shot it too much, and shot it too ineffectively when he's been the point guard in the lineup. It's not, however, the case that he in general shoots it too much. As a SG, which is where he's played the overwhelming majority of his minutes, he's been taking fewer than 20 scoring attempts (includes fta's) per 48 minutes, which is below the team average at the 2, and below the Mavs' opponents' average at the 2.
Old 11-17-2004, 09:57 PM   #287
bloodyhell

bloodyhell is on a distinguished road

Bookit, You misquoted me.

>>Actually, Daniels is one of the best percentage shooters on the team.

Actually that's incorrect. But you are free to prove it.

>>Maybe next to Dirk his percentage is the best.

Uh no, wrong.

>>Nellie wants Daniels to post up more often in the half court. Daniels just hasn't knocked the rust off yet. Give him time.

I am, we are. He needs to pass more.

>I've defended Marquis as a point based on his numbers last year, which were quite solid when playing the 1. His numbers playing the point this year don't deserve to be defended, so I won't. He's shot it too much, and shot it too ineffectively when he's been the point guard in the lineup.

I agree.

Old 11-18-2004, 10:44 PM   #288
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Nash on the 60 win team.
--------------------
Parting words

If there's one thing that bothered Steve Nash when he played for the Mavericks, it was the breakup of the 2002-03 team that won 60 games and was two wins from reaching the NBA Finals.

"I thought the team we had two years ago would have been a pretty good team to keep together," said Nash, who signed a free agent contract with the Suns this past summer. "That was not only a successful and tough team, but a group that defended well. That was too bad, but it's done."

Nick Van Exel, Raja Bell, Adrian Griffin, Raef LaFrentz, Walt Williams and Avery Johnson were among the players from that team who were not with the Mavs last season.

-------------
Couldn't agree more.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 11-18-2004, 11:24 PM   #289
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: dude1394
Nash on the 60 win team.
--------------------
Parting words

If there's one thing that bothered Steve Nash when he played for the Mavericks, it was the breakup of the 2002-03 team that won 60 games and was two wins from reaching the NBA Finals.

"I thought the team we had two years ago would have been a pretty good team to keep together," said Nash, who signed a free agent contract with the Suns this past summer. "That was not only a successful and tough team, but a group that defended well. That was too bad, but it's done."

Nick Van Exel, Raja Bell, Adrian Griffin, Raef LaFrentz, Walt Williams and Avery Johnson were among the players from that team who were not with the Mavs last season.

-------------
Couldn't agree more.
I had the exact opposite reaction, Dude. I thought that team actually overachieved, and as a result was overrated. They weren't going anywhere with Raef in the middle, with NVE fanning the flames of Nelllie's small-ball fetish, and with Nash himself getting torched defensively by any PG with a pulse.

Both Nash AND the Mavericks are in better positions to have success with him in Phoenix.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 12:27 AM   #290
Poindexter Einstein
Golden Member

Poindexter Einstein will become famous soon enough

I dont understand the ragging on Daniels in this thread. The man is injured and playing in spite of it, at apparently far less than full speed.

He isnt scoring we? Well no chit - he clearly doesnt have the explosiveness to jump well, cause of the injury, and is slowed. Nellie says he cant post him up like he wants. His outside jumper will be effected by no explosion.

He was played too much or too ineffectively at the point vs Pho? With Terry out he is forced to play point, even though he is limping.

And he has no chance to sit and heal. He cant go on the IL cause Finley is already there and they would be way shorthanded. With Terry out he is needed even more.

Frankly I have been amazed and impressed at what he HAS been able to do, in spite of the injury. I am very aware that if he is playing at this level when he cant jump and can barely run, then how much better will he be when he has a chance to heal?
Poindexter Einstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 12:44 AM   #291
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by: FreshJive
Quote:
yeah, 8 games into the year and coming off a high ankle sprain with little to no preseason or camp play...perfect barometer to judge a guy

I'm a huge Daniels fan. Only judging his performance so far. He has not been good. Have you watched the games?
I've listened to the games that I've been able to listen to, and I watched the Miami game...I know how things are going, at least. I'm not into trashing our players.
I don't consider it trashing. I'm not the one calling him a ball hog. I simply said that Daniels has sucked SO FAR THIS YEAR. I'm sure its his ankle, but he doesn't seem to be showing the smarts he did last year. Get off the high horse. I'm sure you have posted a concern or two about a player in your posting career. I still think Daniels will be a great player, but I'm not sure he should be playing much point.
FreshJive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 03:03 AM   #292
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: MavKikiNYC
Quote:
Nash on the 60 win team.
--------------------
Parting words

-------------
Couldn't agree more.
I had the exact opposite reaction, Dude. I thought that team actually overachieved, and as a result was overrated. They weren't going anywhere with Raef in the middle, with NVE fanning the flames of Nelllie's small-ball fetish, and with Nash himself getting torched defensively by any PG with a pulse.

Both Nash AND the Mavericks are in better positions to have success with him in Phoenix.

Yes I know a lot of folks feel that way about Raef, but I still do not. Now after Raef was traded then you might as well break it all apart of trade for a solid center anyway, but my contention will continue to be that raef was center enough. We'll see obviously, but I thought it a reckless move that has taken at least 2 years to rectify after the cluster and waste of last year.
Old 11-19-2004, 10:24 AM   #293
Max Power
Banned

Max Power is on a distinguished road

Quote:
If we would have depended on THAT group last year then we would have been in trouble. Only Raja Bell was a contributor on their new team last year. The rest of them were just taking up roster spots.
Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 10:28 AM   #294
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Max Power
Quote:
If we would have depended on THAT group last year then we would have been in trouble. Only Raja Bell was a contributor on their new team last year. The rest of them were just taking up roster spots.
......There's always a spot on my team for the Kobe Stopper.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 10:35 AM   #295
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I dont understand the ragging on Daniels in this thread. The man is injured and playing in spite of it, at apparently far less than full speed.
My question, open to all, is whether Daniels should be playing on an injured ankle like the one he has. Is he being exposed to aggravation or greater injury by playing? I don't know enough about the extent of his injury to know the answer, but maybe someone else does.

If he is being exposed to greater injury of the ankle, it seems incredibly shortsighted to be playing him. In fact, if, as PE suggests, he can't heal while playing on the hurt ankle, it may be stupid for that reason alone.

Old 11-19-2004, 04:58 PM   #296
LordOverseerMaximus

LordOverseerMaximus is on a distinguished road

You people just need to chill out. Daniels isn't even in the top 5 in minutes on the team and he is shooting at almost 50 percent (that's incredible for a shooting guard), fourth on the team in scoring and while only shooting the ball about 9 attempts per game and he's doing it on a hobbled ankle and without the benifit of preseason. To put in in perspective, Howard and Harris both average about one less shot per game and neither guy is shooting 40 percent on the season. If you want someone to blame for losing to Nash and his suns why don't you blame the ankle ferry, the injury bug or whatever. Or better yet, just blame Steve Nash. When a player turns the ball over 10 times and still almost manages a 2 to 1 assist to TO ratio that means you just got abused by that player. 18 freaking assists lol!
LordOverseerMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote