Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 11-18-2004, 10:52 PM   #1
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Mavs during national anthem

I've noticed that during the national anthem all of the mavs are showing their respect by placing their hand over their hearts! It used to be just Shawn and Walker, but now everyone is doing it? I didn't notice the Suns doing it so it's not some sort of NBA deal. Whatever it is I like it...
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-2004, 11:39 PM   #2
OzMavs
Platinum Member

OzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud of
Default RE: Mavs during national anthem

I think there should be more of it in pro sport. It surprised me when I saw Nowitzki do it too.

I'll buy you a drink: HERE

NOW WITH FREE REP WITH EVERY DRINK!!
OzMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 12:53 AM   #3
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold
Default RE:Mavs during national anthem

I just saw a couple of pics of this in Cuban's blog. I didn't think anything of it, but it's nice.
Old 11-19-2004, 01:19 AM   #4
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

SaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud of

Maybe it's just me, but I've never put my hand over my heart during the national anthem. I just thought that was a pledge of allegiance thing.

SaltwaterChaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 01:22 AM   #5
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

I noticed this the other day...Dirk had his hand over his heart....I thought that was really moving

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 01:57 AM   #6
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

I've gone cross trying to find the mention from the DMN on this. I know I posted it here and it was during the preseason. I thought it was in the notebook section but I'm unable to find it right now.

Anyhow, this was at Finley's asking and Cuban and Nellie agreed on the respect.
Old 11-19-2004, 02:02 AM   #7
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: sike
I noticed this the other day...Dirk had his hand over his heart....I thought that was really moving
he was singing

Einigkeit und Recht und Freiheit
Für das deutsche Vaterland!
Danach laßt uns alle streben
Brüderlich mit Herz und Hand!
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 02:15 AM   #8
digit

digit has a spectacular aura aboutdigit has a spectacular aura aboutdigit has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally posted by: EricaLubarsky
Quote:
Originally posted by: sike
he was singing

Deutschland, Deutschland über alles,
über alles in der Welt,
wenn es stets zu Schutz und Trutze
brüderlich zusammenhält!

HAHA...only the extreme right-wingers would probably sing the first verse of the "Song of Germans" from Hoffmann von Fallersleben...

The offical German anthems is the third verse, only.

3. Einigkeit und Recht und Freiheit
Für das deutsche Vaterland!
Danach laßt uns alle streben
Brüderlich mit Herz und Hand!
Einigkeit und Recht und Freiheit
Sind des Glückes Unterpfand.
Blüh' im Glanze dieses Glückes,
Blühe, deutsches Vaterland.

digit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 02:16 AM   #9
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

sorry...I wasnt very good at researching. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-19-2004, 02:17 AM   #10
ZueriMav

ZueriMav is just really niceZueriMav is just really niceZueriMav is just really niceZueriMav is just really niceZueriMav is just really niceZueriMav is just really nice

EDIT
ZueriMav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 02:18 AM   #11
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

ouch. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img] sorry. I just read that that song was the national anthem and I posted the first few lines..... I had no intent to bring up anything like that.

I'm going to edit that, okay?
Old 11-19-2004, 02:33 AM   #12
ZueriMav

ZueriMav is just really niceZueriMav is just really niceZueriMav is just really niceZueriMav is just really niceZueriMav is just really niceZueriMav is just really nice

Quote:
ouch. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img] sorry. I just read that that song was the national anthem and I posted the first few lines..... I had no intent to bring up anything like that.

I'm going to edit that, okay?
No worries, nobody is perfect. Here is the info to the real one.

Cheers
ZueriMav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 02:50 AM   #13
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes now I'm crazy about finley. From cubes blog.

One last note. One of my proudest moments as owner of the Mavs came at our last exhibition game with the Kings. At the prompting of Michael Finley, during the National Anthem, all of our players and staff stood with their hand over their heart. The fans saw this and did the same. With all the diversity of backgrounds and opinions, everyone used the moment as a sign of respect. It was great to be part of it.

And our heroes..

"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 11-19-2004, 03:07 AM   #14
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

The lowered head of Dick and the elevated gaze of Bradley are nice touches. The foreign guys look a little lost.
Old 11-19-2004, 03:15 AM   #15
dude1394
Guru

As I mentioned shawn's been doing this for years.. I hadn't heard that it's some sort of faux pas to do it during the anthem, aren't you supposed to remove your hat? I think I'll just keep on being a rube. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-19-2004, 03:26 AM   #16
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

don't know the policy on headbands, but I'd assume they are the same way. I've always learned that removing your hat is a sign of respect. You do it for teachers, professors, judges....why not do it for the flag?
Old 11-19-2004, 11:39 AM   #17
Mavdog
Diamond Member

Mavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud of

FWIW, "Humble" Billy does request that everyone in the AAC remove their hat for the anthem and I rarely see anyone not promptly doing such. I'm not sure if headbands are included in the genre of hats...

I also have always placed my hand over my heart during the Pledge of Allegiance but not during a singing of the National Anthem. When did this change? Was my first grade teacher wrong?
Mavdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 12:19 PM   #18
gooftroop

gooftroop is on a distinguished road

josh howard doesn't even have his hand over his heart in the 2nd pic...haha
gooftroop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 12:25 PM   #19
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

Quote:
sorry...I wasnt very good at researching. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Most people don't know the Star Spangled Banner has more than one verse.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 07:57 PM   #20
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Most people don't know the Star Spangled Banner has more than one verse.
Personally, I've always wonder who Jose is... and why he couldn't see.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote