Dallas-Mavs.com Forums
Old 04-06-2006, 09:23 PM   #1
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute
Default NBA D-League expands to 12

Four teams leaving CBA for NBA D-League
Associated Press

BISMARCK, N.D. -- Four Continental Basketball Association teams, including the Sioux Falls Skyforce and the Dakota Wizards, have been awarded positions in the NBA Development League.

NBA Commissioner David Stern made the announcement in a statement Thursday afternoon.

"Our minor league has a proven track record of developing talent both on and off the court, with more than 100 players, coaches, referees, athletic trainers and front-office personnel moving to NBA teams or the league office, and we look for that trend to continue," Stern said.

"This is a very exciting day for the Wizards," general manager Jane Link said. "We are thrilled to be where we are at."

In addition to the Wizards and the Skyforce, the other teams are in Boise, Idaho, and Broomfield, Colo.

Harvey Benjamin, an NBA vice president, said the Wizards likely would be aligned with the Portland Trail Blazers and the Chicago Bulls. He said Sioux Falls would probably be a feeder-team to the Minnesota Timberwolves.

Benjamin said fans will witness "a higher level" of basketball. He said the D-league does not allow "retired, cut or old basketball players."

The Skyforce, which just completed its 17th season in Sioux Falls, won CBA titles in 1996 and 2005.

The Wizards notified the CBA last week that they were pulling out of the league, after five seasons. The team had played six years in the International Basketball Association before joining the CBA. The Wizards won CBA titles in 2002 and 2004.

This week, the team announced it had reached a verbal agreement with the Bismarck Civic Center for three more years.

Wizards owner Steve McCormick said he was "betting and hoping" the jump to the D-League would boost attendance. He said he expects the team to have an average attendance of about 3,500 but is hoping it will be as high as 5,000.

Civic Center officials said attendance at Wizards home games last season slipped about 20 percent from the previous season, to about 2,100 people a game.

McCormick said the move to the D-League will cost "way more" than the team's association with the CBA, but he would not elaborate.

The Wizards and other teams including the Sioux Falls Skyforce had talked recently about making the jump to the D-League.

The Colorado team was slated to be a CBA expansion team next season.

Other teams in the D-League are in Bakersfield, Calif.; Albuquerque, N.M.; Little Rock, Ark.; Austin and Fort Worth, Texas; Fayetteville, N.C.; Fort Myers, Fla.; Roanoke, Va., and Tulsa, Okla.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-2006, 09:32 PM   #2
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Way off topic here, but I wonder why the AP style guide had them spell out Texas while it abbreviated the names of the rest of the states--especially the states CA, AR, FL, VA, and OK, which are one-word states like Texas is.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 09:32 PM   #3
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

I like this news. I think we are heading to a true minor league for the NBA.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 09:33 PM   #4
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
Way off topic here, but I wonder why the AP style guide had them spell out Texas while it abbreviated the names of the rest of the states--especially the states CA, AR, FL, VA, and OK, which are one-word states like Texas is.
Because Texas is better and deserves more respect.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 09:47 PM   #5
The Crippler
Diamond Member

The Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drbio
I like this news. I think we are heading to a true minor league for the NBA.
agreed...I think there really needs to be 15 teams so each team could have more of a say on what kind of system that is being run by their affiliate and to assure that their players are getting PT. You then partner up a western and eastern team so there is not as much conflict of interest as there might be with two western or eastern teams with the same affiliate. Something like this would be a good start, imo.
"I say 'Hey Lama, how about a little something ya know', for the effort?' And he says 'oh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed you will receive total consciousness.' So I got that going for me...which is nice."
The Crippler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 10:03 PM   #6
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

And how are you going to pair a Western and Eastern team without losing regional interest?
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 11:09 PM   #7
The Crippler
Diamond Member

The Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant future

I personally don't give a damn about regional interest and neither does the NBA as evidenced by this season. What I care about is it being a true minor league for the bigs. Fully funded by the NBA, and it doesn't matter one bit about it being regional.

If you look at the MLB minors, how many teams are truely regional? The Rangers are an exeption, not the rule.

Shit, besides, I just came up with that as i was writing it.
"I say 'Hey Lama, how about a little something ya know', for the effort?' And he says 'oh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed you will receive total consciousness.' So I got that going for me...which is nice."

Last edited by The Crippler; 04-06-2006 at 11:10 PM.
The Crippler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 01:27 AM   #8
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg

Because Texas is the only state that was once a nation. The AP is obviously putting a lot of thought into the proprieties of state spelling in the above article...

Last edited by Evilmav2; 04-07-2006 at 01:34 AM.
Evilmav2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 01:44 AM   #9
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

I always hate when I see the American flag flown above the Texas flag instead of being flown at the same level like they should be....
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote