Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 07-04-2007, 06:17 PM   #1
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Happy 4th of July Everyone!!!

Be safe and don't drink more than I would, (trust me, this leaves the door WIDE open)!!!
Old 07-04-2007, 07:34 PM   #2
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Happy 4th everyone. We're about to bbq and eat like pigs before the fireworks begin.
Old 07-04-2007, 10:58 PM   #3
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

So.... I get confronted tonight by a 20 something dude because he was upset with me because I wasn't holding my hand over my heart "during the National Anthem".

We were in a parking lot watching the fireworks and someone had the radio station on (turned up loud enough for the whole parking lot to hear) that was playing the "simulcast" thing with the Lewisville fireworks (music played to the fireworks display). Two problems with this accusation however..... 1. There was no flag present. 2. The song that was playing, that this kid apparently thought was the National Anthem was Lee Greenwoods "I'm Proud to be an American".

I just shook my head and continued watching the show. Unreal.

I hope that belief isn't rampant. I guess I can admire that this kid wanted me to hold my hand over my heart during the Anthem, but man get your facts straight.... where do you get this misinformation? Sad thing was that his group were all doing this (holding hands over their hearts while song played and looking at the fireworks of all things) and that did catch on to other groups in the parking lot. I just don't get it. Maybe it was a joke? I really hope it was.
Old 07-04-2007, 11:02 PM   #4
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Im swelling with patriotic mucus
Old 07-05-2007, 12:08 AM   #5
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2sarajevo
So.... I get confronted tonight by a 20 something dude because he was upset with me because I wasn't holding my hand over my heart "during the National Anthem".

We were in a parking lot watching the fireworks and someone had the radio station on (turned up loud enough for the whole parking lot to hear) that was playing the "simulcast" thing with the Lewisville fireworks (music played to the fireworks display). Two problems with this accusation however..... 1. There was no flag present. 2. The song that was playing, that this kid apparently thought was the National Anthem was Lee Greenwoods "I'm Proud to be an American".

I just shook my head and continued watching the show. Unreal.

I hope that belief isn't rampant. I guess I can admire that this kid wanted me to hold my hand over my heart during the Anthem, but man get your facts straight.... where do you get this misinformation? Sad thing was that his group were all doing this (holding hands over their hearts while song played and looking at the fireworks of all things) and that did catch on to other groups in the parking lot. I just don't get it. Maybe it was a joke? I really hope it was.
Sounds like you got punked like a little bitch!

Last edited by Male30Dan; 07-05-2007 at 12:08 AM.
Male30Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 12:29 AM   #6
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Male26Dan
Sounds like you got punked like a little bitch!

How is that punked? He was an idiot..... he didn't even know the National Anthem.

If anyone got punked it was him because I ignored him.
Old 07-05-2007, 01:01 AM   #7
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Hahaha... Dude I was just playing, (not really, you got your puss tamponed)...

In all seriousness, you got punked!
Old 07-05-2007, 01:08 AM   #8
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

Some little idiot that doesn't even know the National Anthem comes up and asks me to put my hand over my heart because he thinks the National Anthem is on and that means I get punked?

Okay.... huh.... so to punk someone you have to talk to them?

I punk out people all day and didn't even know that.

Interesting.
Old 07-05-2007, 07:53 AM   #9
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Puss...tamponed!

Hahaha... It sure is easy to get you hot under the collar U2... That guy must have really pissed you off.
Old 07-05-2007, 09:06 AM   #10
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

It wasn't him that pissed me off as much as it was the fact that (and I am risking sounding like my father here) a group of youth appeared to truly think that a Pop song on the radio was the National Anthem. It was a sad testament in my mind to the importance that is placed (or in this place it seems is NOT placed) on teaching our youth American History. It's just sad really.

I laugh at him now. But last night I was slightly offended. But in his mind he was doing something for his Country so I guess that's somewhat admirable. Even if the song playing HAD BEEN the National Anthem and there WAS a Flag present I don't think I would confront someone not paying respect like they should.... and he did. The fact that he was wrong was sad, but at least he tried to do the right thing.
Old 07-05-2007, 09:45 AM   #11
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

I assume there was alcohol involved?

Who would go up to a complete stranger and say something like that?
Old 07-05-2007, 11:18 AM   #12
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Well unfortunately the american student's worst subject is American History (behind math, science, etc.).

I think it's a bunch of PC bullcrap (you knew I'd think that didn't you) that makes our teachers ashamed of teaching our history. You know, dead white guys and all raping and pillaging the continent and then the world!!
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 07:06 PM   #13
Smiles
Diamond Member

Smiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud of

Quote:
It wasn't him that pissed me off as much as it was the fact that (and I am risking sounding like my father here) a group of youth appeared to truly think that a Pop song on the radio was the National Anthem. It was a sad testament in my mind to the importance that is placed (or in this place it seems is NOT placed) on teaching our youth American History. It's just sad really.

I laugh at him now. But last night I was slightly offended. But in his mind he was doing something for his Country so I guess that's somewhat admirable. Even if the song playing HAD BEEN the National Anthem and there WAS a Flag present I don't think I would confront someone not paying respect like they should.... and he did. The fact that he was wrong was sad, but at least he tried to do the right thing.
U2, I'd have been offended too. Who is he to decide what reflects the heart of a patriot?!

For all he knows, you could be responsible for day-to-day care for a disabled veteran, or could be a veteran yourself. Where is the credit for being a decent, hard-working husband and father who is raising responsible and educated children? He had to have been a poser, or ignorant, or just drunk to make such a snap judgement. We all know you're a good American.

dude: American students do worse in history than math & science? What kind of test is used to determine that? I need to know your source, if you remember it. I'm pretty disheartened over how bad off kids are in math & science. I took for granted that history was 2nd nature! I must've been really lucky!
Old 07-05-2007, 07:30 PM   #14
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

Smiles, thanks for the thoughts. But it seems people are missing out on the fact that it wasn't the national anthem that was playing. It was Lee Greenwood's "I'm proud to be an American". And although I am most certainly proud to be an American I also certainly know that this song is not my Country's anthem, nor was the situation being discussed one in which my hand, or anyones elses hand for that matter, needed to be placed over my (or their) heart.

Fireworks /= American Flag
"I'm Proud to be an American" /= "Star Spangled Banner"
Old 07-06-2007, 10:09 AM   #15
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

So did you stand up and put your hand over your heart like he requested you do?
Old 07-06-2007, 11:22 AM   #16
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Male26Dan
So did you stand up and put your hand over your heart like he requested you do?
Of course not. Why would I? I just continued my enjoyment of the fireworks with my family and ignored him while his national anthem played in the background.

Last edited by u2sarajevo; 07-06-2007 at 11:23 AM.
u2sarajevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 12:17 PM   #17
Smiles
Diamond Member

Smiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud of

Quote:
Smiles, thanks for the thoughts. But it seems people are missing out on the fact that it wasn't the national anthem that was playing. It was Lee Greenwood's "I'm proud to be an American". And although I am most certainly proud to be an American I also certainly know that this song is not my Country's anthem, nor was the situation being discussed one in which my hand, or anyones elses hand for that matter, needed to be placed over my (or their) heart.

Fireworks /= American Flag
"I'm Proud to be an American" /= "Star Spangled Banner"
Do you mean "people" as in "posters" in the thread? I think it's clear that it wasn't the anthem playing. But even IF it was the anthem playing, I still think his actions would've been out of line - judge another's patriotism. I mean, unless it was blatantly anti-american behavior or something.

I guess the irony is that he seems unpatriotic himself - since he doesn't even know what song is our anthem.

At hockey games, I cringe everytime the fans in the AAC yell "STARS!!" during the national anthem. That feels wrong to me, but I trust that everyone who does it has their heart in the right place. Maybe they don't mean it the way I interpret it? It's not my place to judge their patriotism based on this "treatment" of the anthem.
Old 07-07-2007, 12:43 PM   #18
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiles
At hockey games, I cringe everytime the fans in the AAC yell "STARS!!" during the national anthem. That feels wrong to me, but I trust that everyone who does it has their heart in the right place. Maybe they don't mean it the way I interpret it? It's not my place to judge their patriotism based on this "treatment" of the anthem.
I have very mixed feelings about that.

I never yell it, but I enjoy that other people do. It's one of (if not the ONLY) thing that is uniquely "Dallas Stars" about going to a Stars game.

And for some reason when the All-Star game came around and I was feeling very encroached upon by all those other teams jerseys, I DID yell it, and loudly too. I think everyone else did as well. We wanted everyone to know whos house it was.

I certainly don't think people mean any disrespect towards the anthem. Most of those people are singing or humming along as they do it. But like I said...I don't generally do it bc I feel more like you do, but I kind of enjoy that people do for some reason.

Last edited by Flacolaco; 07-07-2007 at 12:44 PM.
Flacolaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 02:31 PM   #19
DevinFuture

DevinFuture is a glorious beacon of lightDevinFuture is a glorious beacon of lightDevinFuture is a glorious beacon of lightDevinFuture is a glorious beacon of lightDevinFuture is a glorious beacon of lightDevinFuture is a glorious beacon of lightDevinFuture is a glorious beacon of light

I was surprised that even the crowd for Mavs games 1, 2, and 5 against Golden State yelled out STARS during the anthem. A lot of people did it, but it seemed like others were confused as to why.

One of the games even had an instrumental national anthem if I remember. And people still yelled STARS. That was very interesting.

Last edited by DevinFuture; 07-07-2007 at 02:32 PM.
DevinFuture is offline   Reply With Quote