Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 12-15-2008, 01:22 PM   #1
92bDad
Platinum Member

92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future
Default Official Arena Football League Thread

http://sports.yahoo.com/top/news;_yl...v=ap&type=lgns

Looks like the AFL is on tough times...Not sure what this means for the long term, hope they can dig out of it, this is a pretty entertaining sport and not too bad on the pocketbook for the fans.
92bDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-2008, 09:03 AM   #2
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

AFL, Dallas Desperados Suspend 2009 Season

link

IRVING, Texas - Will McClay is an Arena Football League lifer. The Dallas Desperados head coach has been involved in the sport since 1989, his rookie season as a defensive back for the Detroit Drive.

Monday's announcement that the AFL will suspend operations in 2009 for financial reasons disappointed McClay as a coach and former player.

"Just the other day I was in the video store and a little boy was in there with his dad and he says, 'I want the Arena Football video game. Arena Football rocks,'" McClay said. "And so that's the tough part because not only the players, but the people who have grown to love this game just as I have.

"I was there when we made 500 bucks a game and played for the love of the game and seen it grow to the heights."

The AFL has made considerable growth since its inception in 1987. But after weeks of meetings, league ownership voted to suspend the 2009 season subject to agreement and cooperation with the AFL Players Association while the league works on developing a long-term plan to improve its economic model.

"Every owner in the AFL is strongly committed to the League, the game, and, most importantly, the fans," acting commissioner Ed Policy said. "Owners, however, recognize that, especially in light of the current unprecedented economic climate, the AFL, as a business enterprise, needs to be restructured if it is to continue to provide its unique brand of this affordable, fan-friendly sport."

That means the Dallas Cowboys-owned Desperados, the AFL's winningest team since 2006 (40-8), will suspend team operations during what would have been its eighth season.

"Our involvement with the Arena Football League was always geared toward promoting football on a year-round basis," Cowboys and Desperados owner Jerry Jones said in a statement. "Our experience with the Desperados has accomplished those goals and has been very positive. As we move forward, we will explore all of the options that are available in regard to the future of the AFL and the Desperados."

The AFL Board of Directors conducted a meeting via conference call Sunday night and voted to suspend operations. Jim Renacci, Columbus Destroyers co-owner and vice chairman of the AFL Executive Committee, was asked by the Board of Directors to spearhead the restructuring process.

Desperados chief operating officer Shy Anderson, a multiple AFL Executive of the Year winner, will serve on the restructuring committees in an attempt to devise "a long-term business plan that all the owners in the Arena Football League and the board of directors can approve."

Anderson said they will report back to the Board of Directors by March 1, 2009.

"It's really a positive," Anderson said. "And I say that because it's the first time since I've been involved that you have almost a unanimous board that wants to come together and put a plan together so that Arena Football is here forever.

"You reached a point where teams had to make a decision financially because of the economic times, 'Do you keep going on with a broken model?' And now that we've come together and pretty much unified at the ownership level, there's no question there's going to be a 2010 season. Now the question is going to be, when that plan is put together, are there going to be teams that adopt it and say, 'I'm going to go with that plan?'"

Anderson said it's unknown at this time whether teams will retain the rights of their current players. The league is expected to make that decision in conjunction with the players' union.

The announcement is a disappointment for McClay's team, which had captured three straight division titles and established itself as a perennial ArenaBowl contender.

McClay and Anderson can't predict what their roster will look like in 2010, assuming a new business model is adopted and play resumes. The current cast is led by veterans like quarterback Clint Dolezel (age 38) and WR/DB Will Pettis (age 31).

Given the league's modest salaries compared to the NFL, it's inevitable some players will choose to move on.

"There's guys that have to take care of their families, and that's the unique part about Arena Football," said McClay, who also works in the Cowboys' scouting department. "We're not millionaires. We're guys that have to be normal people. We play football and we've got to go on. This is an opportunity that in this point in time, we'll see what happens."

Anderson is confident, however, that the fans will return in 2010. The Desperados had successful attendance at American Airlines Center last year, averaging 11,100 fans per game.

"That was the No. 1 fear," Anderson said. "I actually feel more comfortable about that than most because of how loyal our fans are and I believe they understand the economic times we're in. It's tough. And it's such a fan-friendly game that I think they will welcome it back.

"For us to keep it a fan-friendly game and affordable for the fans, this is what we have to do. And I think our fans respect that."

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 01:55 PM   #3
nikeball
Platinum Member

nikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond repute

fail
Old 12-16-2008, 02:44 PM   #4
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

What happened to the XFL

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 10:18 AM   #5
Dmac25

Dmac25 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ty View Post
What happened to the XFL
it sucked is what happened
Dmac25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fluffy banter