Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 11-16-2004, 02:44 AM   #1
akaarod03

akaarod03 is on a distinguished road
Default Phoenix @ Dallas Gameday Thread

Finally...the return of Steve Nash to Dallas. How will the crowd at the AAC treat Nash? Will there be a chorus of boos similar to what Stackhouse received at the MCI center this past Sunday? Or will Nash receive a standing ovation similar to what Najera received last Monday? I personally believe there will be a mixture of cheers and boos for Nash. But anyways...back to the game. The Suns are one of the most explosive teams in the NBA. Their starting 5 is young, talented, athletic, and just flat-out good. I think the key to the game is defending Nash. We need to stop his penetration...Nash leads the league with 9.7 assists per game. With that said...if Dallas can get off to a good start in tonight's ballgame...I think we can come out of the AAC with a win. Go Mavs!

91-83 Mavs

akaarod03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-2004, 03:18 AM   #2
Phil Helmuth

Phil Helmuth is on a distinguished road
Default RE: Phoenix @ Dallas Gameday Thread

120-106 Mavs. Boo nash.
Old 11-16-2004, 03:36 AM   #3
The Miles

The Miles is on a distinguished road

112-108 Dallas.

"When you (Coach Johnson) get behind your players like that it’s something special. He’s the general and we are soldiers, you go out there and want to lay it all on the line…that’s the type of situation I wanted to be in."-Doug Christie
The Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 03:37 AM   #4
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold
Default RE:Phoenix @ Dallas Gameday Thread

107-98 Mavs

Looking forward to a big game from Terry not unlike the 40+ game he dumped on Nash a season ago.
V2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 04:22 AM   #5
digit

digit has a spectacular aura aboutdigit has a spectacular aura aboutdigit has a spectacular aura about

Blow out!!

Everybody in the Mavs organization knows this is a special game. If the team is 100 % motivated on BOTH ends of the floor they are tough to beat.

Mavs 109-91

Dirk going berserk...
digit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 08:58 AM   #6
AnMan21

AnMan21 will become famous soon enough

i think the pgs (terry and harris) are really going to be motivated to put the clamps on nash. it'll be interesting to see if nash can get by the improved perimeter d frequently enough to drive and dish (his specialty). although i think if he does get into the lane he'll be greeted by dampier. nash won't be used to seeing the mavs with a center...
AnMan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 09:05 AM   #7
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Phoenix 115
Dallas 109
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 09:20 AM   #8
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future

Terry sure ain't going to be emotional tonight, unless he sets a PG scoring record. Diggler is too emotional to stab Stevie so he only scores 15pts. 35pts for Terry. Stackhouse 28pts again.
A lot+5 Mavs
A lot Suns
Mavs win
DubOverdose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 09:37 AM   #9
gogojojo73

gogojojo73 is on a distinguished road

Mavs Win, Dampier earns his money...

Mavs 107
Suns 99
gogojojo73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 10:24 AM   #10
Eman

Eman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to all

5 steals for terry and harris, 4 turnovers for Nash
Mavs win 118 to 102
Eman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 10:27 AM   #11
TripleDipping
Diamond Member

TripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud of

Gonna be a fun game to watch. Fast and furious. Close one as well.
Mavs by 8.
TripleDipping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 10:35 AM   #12
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

107-101 Mavs

Looking forward to seeing us prevail out of a competitive game.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 11:14 AM   #13
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Mavs 115
Suns 109

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 11:19 AM   #14
samoan-maverick

samoan-maverick is on a distinguished road

Mavs - 115
Suns - 99

Dub, dont you know how competitive these guys are. I remember watching inside stuff when they were talking about them two playing one on one and Nash would win 9 out of 10 times. And the one time Dirk wins he'll rub it in Nash's face like it was Germany v. Canada in the Olympics. Dirk goes for another 30+ on Marion?
Old 11-16-2004, 11:32 AM   #15
vinnieponte

vinnieponte is on a distinguished road

Mavs win a very close game!

Mavs 116
Suns 112

I'll be at the game tonight yet I probably be the only one NOT booing. I cant bring myself to boo against a man who brought so many years of wins to us. He was disrespected by cuban and he made the smart move. He proved himself for years and was offered little compared to other teams and damp has proved himself for 1 year and surpassed what nash wanted, it was a slap in the face and nash moved on, dont blame him, blame cuban.
Old 11-16-2004, 11:42 AM   #16
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: vinnieponte
Mavs win a very close game!

Mavs 116
Suns 112

I'll be at the game tonight yet I probably be the only one NOT booing. I cant bring myself to boo against a man who brought so many years of wins to us. He was disrespected by cuban and he made the smart move. He proved himself for years and was offered little compared to other teams and damp has proved himself for 1 year and surpassed what nash wanted, it was a slap in the face and nash moved on, dont blame him, blame cuban.
If Cuban's solely responsible for Nash's loss, then... "Thaaaaaank Yooouuuu, Mr. Cuban!!!". [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

V2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 11:53 AM   #17
Psychedelic Fuzz
Platinum Member

Psychedelic Fuzz is on a distinguished road

Dirk will continue to be hot, and the majority of the team is new and won't have any emotional attachment. Nash is already dreading this and will get shut down by terry and harris.

mavs by10

Psychedelic Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 12:00 PM   #18
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally posted by: samoan-maverick
Mavs - 115
Suns - 99

Dub, dont you know how competitive these guys are. I remember watching inside stuff when they were talking about them two playing one on one and Nash would win 9 out of 10 times. And the one time Dirk wins he'll rub it in Nash's face like it was Germany v. Canada in the Olympics. Dirk goes for another 30+ on Marion?
I know they kinda had competitions and all in practice. Saw who shot better and all. But, have their national teams played eachother? Have they been put in a situation where the winning person matters? Where emotions are involved?
DubOverdose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 12:03 PM   #19
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

I have a strange feeling this game will be closer than I am thinking... but if our Offense (ie... Dirk and Stack) are still hitting on all cylinders there's not much the Suns will be able to do to come out with a win.

Mavs - 108
Suns - 94
Old 11-16-2004, 12:14 PM   #20
Stitch Jones

Stitch Jones is a jewel in the roughStitch Jones is a jewel in the roughStitch Jones is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: u2sarajevo
I have a strange feeling this game will be closer than I am thinking... but if our Offense (ie... Dirk and Stack) are still hitting on all cylinders there's not much the Suns will be able to do to come out with a win.

Mavs - 108
Suns - 94
I would have to agree. I've noticed a subtle but strong chemistry developing between Dirk and Stack as far as finding each other in their sweet spots. Let's hope it continues.

"Did you know that Shaq makes $20 million this season ... and another $60 million over the next three? Every Miami fan just threw up on their creepy all-white T-shirt. "
~ Simmons
Stitch Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 12:14 PM   #21
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

Too much Dirk and our allottment of swingmen over power the Phoenix Suns. Mavs 100 suns 95.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 12:36 PM   #22
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Nash can suck it.

Mavs win by 8.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 12:37 PM   #23
rakesh.s
Golden Member

rakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of light

mavs let washington score well over 100 last game, which is disappointing...don't know if they were pretending to play D the first few games or what happened

but i think it'll be very high scoring tonight

120-112 mavs
rakesh.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 12:56 PM   #24
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

KG's Keys To Beating Phoenix:

1. Keep them off the offensive glass. This seems like a strange one, but Stoudemire, Marion, and Richardson are crashing the glass a lot early this season, and the Mavs have to protect the defensive backboard. One and done, baby, one and done. Can't let a good shooting team keep shooting.

2. Run them off the line. The Suns are shooting a ton of three pointers so far this year, and shooting them at a very respectable clip. We've got the big man in the middle, so our wing and point defenders should be aggressive in challenging perimeter shooters.

3. DON'T GO SMALL! The Suns give the majority of the minutes to the quintet of Stoudemire, Marion, Johnson, Richardson, and Nash. With Marion at PF and Stoudemire at C, the big temptation for Nellie tonight is going to be to run a lineup out there with Dirk at center, Howard at PF, and three guards. He should avoid that temptation at all costs. Stoudemire has been a beast in the paint so far this season, and I don't want Dirk to be assigned the responsibility of guarding him on top of carrying the offense. The Mavs should stick with their CONVENTIONAL, NORMAL starting lineup (something Nellie has done remarkably well so far) and let Dampier cover Stoudemire while Dirk abuses Marion in the post.

4. Attack Steve Nash. Okay, this is just because I want to see the greedy Canadian embarrassed, but the dude can't guard, so I'd like to think that Terry and Harris could get by him whenever they wanted.

5. Feed Dirk. The Suns don't have anyone with a prayer of covering Dirk, and Dallas should take advantage of that, as they have thus far this season. Run the ball through Dirk as often as possible, and good things will happen. Shawn Marion doesn't have a prayer.

6. Let Richardson shoot. This is a slight modification to No. 2 above, as well as a general rule. Richardson can't shoot his way out of a paper bag right now, and I'd like to see if he can beat us.

7. Attack the rim. The Suns have been getting good shotblocking from Stoudemire, Marion and *gasp* Steven Hunter so far, but they have no depth up front. The Mavs can get them all in foul trouble by simply taking it to the rack.

Prediction: Mavs 115, Suns 104.

GO MAVS!
Old 11-16-2004, 01:44 PM   #25
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

8. Damp must throw his weight around. Big Damp can and needs to dominate the skinny American and the miscellaneous Euro players that he'll face. He looked like Shaq against Brad Miller. He should be able to dominate a commitee of 7'0" 235lb Hunter, 6'11" 250 Voskuhl and possibly Lampe and Vroman. If he dominates offensively, he will require a double team which will kill the Suns. If he kills the suns defensively, then they will need to play funky lineups like the Stoudamire at center lineup which will give us the advantage in the long run.

4a. We must wear out their guards. I don't expect to get many steals and traps on Nash. He's a smart player, but if we make him work the entire floor instead of letting the ball bounce all the way to the three point line before picking it up, then he will be tired by the fourth. Leandro Barbosa is good and can get hot offensively, but he certainly isnt Nash. No question.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 02:34 PM   #26
vinnieponte

vinnieponte is on a distinguished road

ok SIKE, what did we talk about, nash vs. terry right? tonights the night
Old 11-16-2004, 02:38 PM   #27
Rockstar

Rockstar is on a distinguished road

106 mavs
98 suns
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 03:06 PM   #28
mavsman55
Platinum Member

mavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura about

After tonight, Nash will regret being a dickhead. 20+ point blowout, Dirk goes for 30+ and Nash is severely contained by Terry and Harris.
mavsman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 04:03 PM   #29
bartom

bartom is on a distinguished road

Since akaarod03 started this thread, we win big:

Mavs 113
Suns 95

Been looking forward to this one. Cheer for Stevie then watch him struggle...
Old 11-16-2004, 04:50 PM   #30
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

A game of back and forths... with Nash not doing so well in his home-coming game.. Mavs preserve though.

Mavs 108
Suns 104

watch your thoughts, they become your words
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 04:52 PM   #31
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

so, does Dirk guard Amare or Damp? Damp is one of the few players in the league who is more of physical presense than Amare...Dirk would struggle containning him on the Defensive end. And Marion will guard Dirk on the defensive end, right? Because I can not see Amare standing a chance guarding Dirk.
Quote:
ok SIKE, what did we talk about, nash vs. terry right? tonights the night
well, I said over the whole season, but I guess we will just make it tonights game if you wish. It the minutes are the same (or very close) the bet is still on. Remember we made this bet when Devin was just a guy who would be getting 15 minutes a game. The factors have changed, thus our bet is only good if the minutes are close.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 05:08 PM   #32
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Because I can not see Amare standing a chance guarding Dirk.
Stoudmire played Dirk in that last game last year. Dont know if it was because he was still recovering from injury, but Dirk tore him a new one.
Old 11-16-2004, 05:18 PM   #33
Steve13

Steve13 will become famous soon enoughSteve13 will become famous soon enough

wouldn't be surprised to see amare drop 33 and 15 tonight with Nash getting over 10 assists
Old 11-16-2004, 05:29 PM   #34
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

wouldnt be surprised if Nash has 5-6 TOs either.
Old 11-16-2004, 05:57 PM   #35
cheesestar
Golden Member

cheesestar will become famous soon enough

if we lose i will cry
cheesestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 06:03 PM   #36
bobatundi1

bobatundi1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: akaarod03
Finally...the return of Steve Nash to Dallas. How will the crowd at the AAC treat Nash? Will there be a chorus of boos similar to what Stackhouse received at the MCI center this past Sunday? Or will Nash receive a standing ovation similar to what Najera received last Monday? ...
Najera was traded to make the team better; Nash took the money and ran. I think that will be a factor in the crowd response. Then again, most people at the games aren't as informed as the folks on this list--last game people were asking where Najera was, who was that big guy with the headband, and why did we trade Nash.

bobatundi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 06:03 PM   #37
Steve13

Steve13 will become famous soon enoughSteve13 will become famous soon enough

well you know steve will be motivated to win tonight as will the mavs...going to be fun. I hope Nash plays great but dallas still wins
Old 11-16-2004, 06:41 PM   #38
cheesestar
Golden Member

cheesestar will become famous soon enough

i hope nash doesnt play great so dallas will coast to victory
cheesestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 07:48 PM   #39
Kat

Kat is on a distinguished road

Old 11-16-2004, 07:53 PM   #40
Kat

Kat is on a distinguished road

Nash sometimes is a streaky shooter. After a 2 day party with Dirk, they probably will both be feelin' like crap. But Nash is getting older, Dirk will be fine. Nash will try to hard and end up feeling like he had a 5 day party. It may be a sloopy game with the newbies pulling in out for us.

Mavs 117
Suns - 92