Dallas-Mavs.com Forums
Old 05-22-2005, 03:48 AM   #1
Folterkammer

Folterkammer is just really niceFolterkammer is just really niceFolterkammer is just really niceFolterkammer is just really niceFolterkammer is just really niceFolterkammer is just really niceFolterkammer is just really nice
Default marbury!

do you think we could get stephon marbury for a package of :
Outgoing

Jason Terry
6-2 PG from Arizona
12.4 ppg, 2.4 rpg, 5.4 apg in 30.0 minutes

Marquis Daniels
6-6 SG from Auburn
9.1 ppg, 3.6 rpg, 2.1 apg in 23.5 minutes

Didier Ilunga-Mbenga
7-0 C from Congo
1.0 ppg, 0.5 rpg, 0.0 apg in 3.9 minutes
Incoming

Stephon Marbury
6-2 PG from Georgia Tech
21.7 ppg, 3.0 rpg, 8.2 apg in 40.0 minutes

and would u consider doing this? it definitely works with the CBA

we need a real point guard and also marbury likes to score a lot he could be the player that sets up plays for dirk and the others !
new york gets a young sg/pg in daniels and an expiring contract in terry which they need to cut their payroll and to rebuild!
Old 05-22-2005, 04:09 AM   #2
Pongo
Golden Member

Pongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to all
Default RE:marbury!

Marbury's stats look pretty good.
Didn't he claim to be the 2nd best point in the NBA?
We'd have the second best Center, second best Point Guard AND Dirk... [img]i/expressions/moon.gif[/img]

The real problem with Stephon is, besides his cockiness... he's a natural LOSER
He makes his teams worse, not better

No, thanks

hm, his stats look really great, just checked it: 46%, 35%, 83%, 1.5S/PG, 2.84 T/PG
maybe I'm just a little to prejudiced?

edit: 9th on Roland's Ratings, too
Old 05-22-2005, 09:39 AM   #3
GP

GP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to all
Default RE: marbury!

Pongo, my first thought when I saw this thread was that if the Mavs traded for Marbury then they would be guaranteed a spot in the lottery. Your post is most excellent.
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 10:20 AM   #4
Misfit Mav

Misfit Mav will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by: Pongo
[/L]
Amazingly, I think he claimed to be the BEST point guard in the NBA.
When asked after the Dallas Mavericks impressive game 3 win over the Sacramento Kings whether he thought the Mavs won because they played well or because the Kings played poorly, Nelson responded that it was hard to tell, much like a thermos. "How do it know?" queried the ever eccentric Nelson. When you put something hot in it, it stays hot. When you put something cold in it, it stays cold. "How do it know?"
Misfit Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 11:17 AM   #5
Pongo
Golden Member

Pongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally posted by: Misfit Mav
Quote:
Originally posted by: Pongo
[/L]
Amazingly, I think he claimed to be the BEST point guard in the NBA.
wow, now that's really funny
he must have been high when he said that...
Old 05-22-2005, 11:26 AM   #6
orangedays
Platinum Member

orangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant future

aw man....

Damp and Marbury on the same team? Are we trying to make this the Dallas Knickerbockers?
orangedays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 03:21 PM   #7
mattyd
Banned

mattyd is on a distinguished road

We are 1 bad contract away from being the Knicks South.

But on the Rumors section of www.cnnsi.com they mentioned Larry Hughes as a possible target for Dallas. That would be nice...but is that realistic?
mattyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 03:47 PM   #8
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Is Hughes unrestricted?
Old 05-22-2005, 03:58 PM   #9
fabolous

fabolous is on a distinguished road

Yes, Hughes is a unrestricted FA.
But what would it take to get him here?
Sign & Trade for Daniels + Bradley?
Don't think that would be enough...
fabolous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 02:09 AM   #10
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Stephon Marbury in a Mavs' uniform... I actually gagged at the thought. (not because I think Marbury is a "loser", but because it's just another pipe-dream, and there are WAY too many of these lately.)
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 04:41 PM   #11
The Miles

The Miles is on a distinguished road

I would love to see Marbury here. People give him unfair hate just because he hasn't had a superstar guy like Dirk since he was with KG in Minnesota. Steph is efficient, talented, doesn't have bad injury history, a gamer, doesnt turn it over, a better defender than Jet, and most of all, I just really think Marbury/Dirk would be unstoppable as a duo.

"When you (Coach Johnson) get behind your players like that it’s something special. He’s the general and we are soldiers, you go out there and want to lay it all on the line…that’s the type of situation I wanted to be in."-Doug Christie
The Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 05:24 PM   #12
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

I agree. Marbury would actually be an excellent fit here, I think. Although, his scoring mentality would concern me a bit because it might subtract from Dirk, Josh and the rest, however, his positives FAR outweigh his negatives. Even so, Isiah's plan for rebuilding New York IS Stephon Marbury. Steph is gonna be in New York for a while, and that's that.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 10:30 AM   #13
woods

woods is on a distinguished road

This was in the New York Daily News:

The Knicks, under Thomas, have re-invented themselves more times than Madonna and now in 2005 they are going for that young, hip look. Thomas is armed with two first-round picks for Tuesday's draft, plus three more next year, giving him options to makes deals. And for better or worse, Isiah never misses an opportunity to revamp the roster every few months.

"This is not going to be a clean, smooth ride from here on out," Thomas said recently. "There's still a lot of pulling and tugging that we're going to have to do here. So for the next two or three years, you're still going to have to pull up your sleeves and get dirty."

The grunt work continues tomorrow when the trade that will send Kurt Thomas to Phoenix for Quentin Richardson and a future first-round pick is expected to be completed. Eventually, the Knicks will release Allan Houston and save $40 million in luxury tax while removing the last piece from the team that reached the 1999 NBA Finals.

Between then and now there is no predicting what Thomas will do. The Knicks own the eighth and 30th picks and are hoping to select a big man like Arizona's Channing Frye. But Thomas also has hinted that he may draft a point guard with the idea of moving Marbury to shooting guard or to another NBA city. If the Knicks go with a point guard, that might lead to a trade of Marbury, who is 29 and not expected to contend for a title anytime soon.

Several teams out West, including Minnesota, Memphis, Houston and even San Antonio would be interested in a talented veteran who is better suited to be the second or third best player on a team. The Knicks won just 33 games last season, which means no one is untouchable, not even Thomas' pet player.

The Knicks, whose payroll for next season is already at $110 million, are trying to rid themselves of veteran players with bloated contracts, many of whom were imported by Thomas. Malik Rose and Jerome Williams are difficult to move because they have long-term deals. However, Thomas remains convinced that Penny Hardaway and Tim Thomas, both of whose contracts expire next summer, can be traded.

We could trade:

Harris/DJ/Stackhouse/TAW

for

Marbury/Malik Rose

I think that Harris would be attractive to them as a point guard with a lot of potential. It would allow them to draft Channing Frye with the 8th pick if he's still available. TAW will reduce payroll and they get rid of Malik Rose's contract. Plus, they get Stackhouse to come in off the bench.

The Mavs will look like this:

marbury/terry
finley/terry/daniels
howard/daniels/van horn
nowitzki/van horn/rose
dampier/van horn/pavel/[free agent backup]

I would do it. It's a balanced team, an amazing starting five, and good bench.
woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 04:09 PM   #14
toucandave

toucandave is on a distinguished road

I like it Woods, although I still think Harris is an up and comer. We may kick ourselves for trading away that kind of potential talent.
toucandave is offline   Reply With Quote