Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 07-23-2007, 01:13 AM   #1
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute
Default TEAM USA Basketball

Kobe (aka best player in the NBA) hit the game winner today.

Haha, I know I'm going to get lit up for that.

---

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/column...ris&id=2945741

LAS VEGAS -- Kobe Bryant hit the biggest shot and made the biggest defensive stop after committing the gravest gaffe of the game -- all in the final 21.3 seconds.

Playing in a Team USA jersey for the first time, Bryant hit the game-winning shot over Tayshaun Prince with 6.6 seconds left to give the blue team a 105-104 victory over the white team Sunday in an intrasquad scrimmage.

Bryant freed himself of Prince with a pump fake before hitting a jumper from 19 feet away to put his team ahead by one. After a timeout, Bryant defended LeBron James on the game's final possession and forced him to miss wide right on a short jumper from the lane that would have won it.

Afterward, Bryant took plenty of playful ribbing from teammate and Team USA veteran Jason Kidd after Bryant tried to call a timeout with 21.3 seconds left -- a no-no under international rules, under which only a coach can call a timeout.

The episode happened after Bryant brought the ball upcourt, came to a halt near the scorer's table and signaled with his hands for a timeout. The referee blew his whistle, then bailed himself out by calling a foul on Kidd, who was defending Bryant on the play.

Coach Mike Krzyzewski conceded after the game that the timeout rule has not yet been explained to the players in person, although they have been given paperwork with a list of the differences between FIBA rules and NBA rules.

"Situations like that can actually be helpful to us because sometimes the best way to learn the rule is by actually doing it," Krzyzewski said. "It definitely added to the intrigue."

Bryant made light of the episode afterward, joking that he actually made a "T" sign with his hands because he wanted the referee to call a technical foul on Kidd for elbowing him in the stomach "like it was a game from the '80s."

Bryant finished with 26 points on 10-for-22 shooting, including 4-for-9 from 3-point range, and blue squad teammate Carmelo Anthony led all scorers with 28. One of the more impressive performances came from rookie Kevin Durant, who shot 9-for-14 for 22 points for the blue squad.

For the white squad, Mike Miller scored 22 and made four 3-pointers in the second quarter, when both teams played nothing but zone defense. Dwight Howard shot 9-for-9 and scored 21, and James had 18.

On the negative side, the teams combined to shoot only 19-for-68 on 3-pointers (28 percent) and 20-for-34 (59 percent) on free throws -- the latter area coming as perhaps the biggest concern to Coach K, who lamented during the team's three-day minicamp that foul shooting was one of the primary deficiencies to hamper Team USA at the World Championship in Japan last summer.

All in all, though, Krzyzewski summed up the three-day camp as an "off the charts" success.

"We have more shooters, and we have more talent -- veteran talent," Coach K said.

The players will scatter for three weeks before reassembling in Las Vegas on Aug. 14 to prepare for the Tournament of the Americas, at which two Olympic berths will be at stake. Team director Jerry Colangelo said Nick Collison will be added to the national squad for the Aug. 14 camp, and he also expects Greg Oden to rejoin the team after tonsillitis kept him away from minicamp.

The Americans must pare their roster to 12 before the Tournament of the Americas, and the players who appear most likely to be dropped from the active roster include J.J. Redick, Collison and Shane Battier. Going into Sunday's game, it appeared Durant would be on that cut list, as well, but his performance Sunday clearly was giving Krzyzewski and Colangelo something to think about.

"You never know sometimes," Colangelo said.

Colangelo also said a squad of young NBA players, including Brandon Roy, will be brought to Las Vegas for the next stage of camp to compete against the senior team in scrimmages. The final roster for the Tournament of the Americas does not have to be submitted until 24 hours before the competition begins -- a big difference from what will happen next summer (assuming the Americans qualify for the Olympics), when the final 12-man Olympic roster must be submitted by June 28, about six weeks before the Games start.

Sunday's game attracted an announced crowd of 15,132 to the Thomas & Mack Center on the campus of UNLV, and Bryant was clearly the crowd favorite -- even hearing a "Ko-be, Ko-be" chant as he dribbled the ball on his team's final possession before hitting the winner over Prince. But up until that point, the play that got the crowd most charged up was when Bryant drove in on a break and tried for an up-and-under reverse dunk, only to have James block the shot and send Bryant flying into a row of photographers.

"His big, grown-up body knocked me off-balance, so I have to get used to playing at a lighter weight," said Bryant, who has dropped 19 pounds since the end of the NBA season.

The biggest groans of the night were directed at Michael Redd, who shot two air balls in the first half that missed the rim by several feet. Redd, also making his Team USA debut, shot 4-for-10 on 3s and finished with 17 points.

Other noteworthy items from the box score: Bryant had five steals and five assists; Tyson Chandler grabbed a game-high 13 rebounds; Deron Williams had nine assists and five turnovers; Chauncey Billups had seven assists and four steals in just 19 minutes; and Kidd had eight assists and six rebounds to go with his two points, which he got by converting his only field goal attempt of the night.

Chris Sheridan covers the NBA for ESPN Insider. To e-mail Chris, click here.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84

Last edited by alby; 07-23-2007 at 01:14 AM.
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-2007, 08:08 AM   #2
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

boring

edit: not you alby. I am referring to USA basketball.

Sorry.

Last edited by MavsX; 07-23-2007 at 08:13 AM.
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 08:13 AM   #3
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Let's get it done.

I can't take another humiliation next year.
Old 07-23-2007, 11:51 AM   #4
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

I wish I could have gone to that game, Kidd said it was better than any all-star game he's been in.

Contact Me
Old 07-23-2007, 01:09 PM   #5
antoinewalker
Golden Member

antoinewalker is a jewel in the roughantoinewalker is a jewel in the roughantoinewalker is a jewel in the roughantoinewalker is a jewel in the rough

kobe bryant > lebron james.

if i needed a clutch game-winning shot, i'd rather have daniel gibson shoot it. too bad he's not on team usa.
antoinewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 08:19 PM   #6
horse900703
Diamond Member

horse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud of

come on kobe~~~
horse900703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 01:12 AM   #7
alby
Guru

http://www.usabasketball.com/

Preliminary Round
Wednesday, Aug. 22 USA - Venezuela ESPN Classic, ESPN360 / 11:00 p.m. (EDT)
Thursday, Aug. 23 USA - U.S. Virgin Islands ESPN Classic, ESPN.360 / 11:00 p.m. (EDT)
Saturday, Aug. 25 USA - Canada ESPN2, ESPN360 / 3:00 p.m. (EDT)
Sunday, Aug. 26 USA - Brazil ESPN2, ESPN360 / 9:00 p.m. (EDT)

I might be going to Vegas next week so I can go to some of these games... and oh yeah, gamble =]

Contact Me
Old 08-17-2007, 01:17 AM   #8
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

There's a new vid on ESPN's webiste: "Kobe ready to lead Team USA".

They say that everybody looks to Kobe for leadership. gg.

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 03:55 AM   #9
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco
Let's get it done.

I can't take another humiliation next year.

"As the deficit grew, the Americans sometimes abandoned team concepts. One glaring example came as the U.S. tried to drain the clock for the final shot of the third quarter. Wade dribbled through four defenders and tossed up an off-balance layup with three seconds to go. The Greeks grabbed the rebound and found Spanoulis for a layup at the buzzer to lead 77-65."

Screw Team USA. It'll be fun watching them collapse again.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 04:02 AM   #10
alby
Guru

ouch=\

Contact Me
Old 08-17-2007, 08:13 AM   #11
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

http://dallas-mavs.com/vb/showthread...ewpost&t=31012
Old 08-17-2007, 11:24 AM   #12
StackAttack
Platinum Member

StackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud of

Meh. Go Dirk.
Old 08-20-2007, 10:59 AM   #13
dirt_dobber
Diamond Member

dirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond repute

NBA stars sold on Team USA's Coach K
The Lakers' Bryant, who nearly got the chance to play for Krzyzewski in 2004, isn't alone among top players who think Team USA's coach would be perfect in the pros

By Lonnie White, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer
August 20, 2007
http://www.latimes.com/sports/basket...ck=1&cset=true
LAS VEGAS -- No one can blame the Lakers' Kobe Bryant if he's having a serious case of "what could have been" playing for Team USA this summer.

From Jason Kidd (the point guard the Lakers did not trade for last season) to Michael Redd (the perimeter shooter the Lakers did not draft in 2000), Bryant has reminders everywhere.

But the biggest "what if" for Bryant is Team USA Coach Mike Krzyzewski, who flirted with the Lakers' coaching job before Rudy Tomjanovich was hired in 2004.

"I've been a big fan of his for a long time," Bryant said of Krzyzewski, who has averaged 26 wins a season in 27 years coaching at Duke and was inducted into the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame in 2001.

"I'm very excited about having the opportunity to play for him and to have a relationship with him. It's been everything that I thought it would be."

Only Krzyzewski, 60, knows how serious he was about making the jump to the Lakers but based on how he has been able to relate with the pro players on Team USA, the NBA would not be a problem.

With a roster that includes proven veterans such as Bryant, Kidd and Chauncey Billups along with young superstars such as LeBron James, Carmelo Anthony and Amare Stoudemire, Krzyzewski has been able to get his team to bond by treating everyone like family.

"The first thing is communication, which he does very well because he likes to teach," Kidd said about Krzyzewski, who has won three national championships and led teams to 10 Final Fours.

"He makes things easy because he gives you what he wants to see out there, which makes it easy for a point guard. . . . I think he would do great in the NBA but we all know that he has a great gig at Duke."

But Krzyzewski understands that his legendary coaching status will not mean a thing if Team USA fails to reach the FIBA Americas Championship final and is forced to play in a world qualifying tournament to reach next year's Olympics.

"I'm proud that these guys have made this type of commitment," Krzyzewski said about Team USA players, who committed three years to work with the national program.

"Throughout the years, college and pro players have committed to play but not for this length of time and that's what makes this commitment so big. . . . But we felt that we needed that to start building something. In the past, we've always just showed up and played. This is different."

Krzyzewski, who led Team USA to an 8-1 record and bronze medal at the world championships last year in Japan, has made relationships a priority this summer, and his roster filled with NBA players has responded.

"He gets his points across very clear, and as a player, you respect that," Stoudemire said about Krzyzewski, who was an assistant on the U.S. Olympic gold medal team in 1992.

Whether it's Bryant and Anthony getting in extra shooting after practice or Dwight Howard and Tyson Chandler talking about post moves with assistant coach Nate McMillan, you can see signs that Team USA has already begun to bond.

"Obviously, we have a program now and with that comes continuity," Krzyzewski said. "They are comfortable with us and we are comfortable with them. . . . You can say more things to each other. Programs are built on relationships, and we have good relationships. We're excited to be here and we're excited to have them.

"But we also understand that we can only keep them for so long. This is still not their day job, and you have to respect that."

Krzyzewski's style also has been a hit with his players away from the gym.

"Getting to know him off the floor means more than anything to me," said James, who met Krzyzewski for the first time last summer when he played in the world championships. "Everyone knows Coach K as a basketball coach, but not everyone knew how good he was as a person. . . . It's all about comfort level with me.

"I feel comfortable about him and that allows me to open up a little bit more. That's good for me."

Added Bryant: "He can be so intense because he's so passionate about the game, but at the same time he has a great sense of humor. I don't think a lot of people know that about him.

"There's no question in my mind that he would be a great NBA coach. . . . He has that passion about what he does and when you have that commitment to winning, you can't help but be successful."
dirt_dobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 06:22 PM   #14
horse900703
Diamond Member

horse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsX
boring

edit: not you alby. I am referring to USA basketball.

Sorry.
i know right? how can u read that???
horse900703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 02:14 AM   #15
alby
Guru

going to Vegas on Sunday to watch Barbosa and company get manhandled by Team USA

Contact Me
Old 08-22-2007, 08:53 AM   #16
Pongo
Golden Member

Pongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to all

does anybody know where to find a stream?!
Old 08-22-2007, 09:41 AM   #17
Dr.Zoidberg
Diamond Member

Dr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant future

Try this Site.

Probably it will be streamed there.

"Talk to the claw."

"They're getting 15, 16 assists some games. I dream about getting 15 assists. It's just not possible with the team I'm on." - Devin Harris about top-notch point guards and him playing with the Mavs

"For me, it’s like a kid in a candy store." - Jason Kidd on playing with the Mavs
Dr.Zoidberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 10:10 AM   #18
StackAttack
Platinum Member

StackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud of

http://www.myp2p.eu/NBA.htm

A stream for tonight's available there. Hopefully Germany games will come up.

If you don't have ESPN Classic (like me), chances are you still have ESPN2; they'll be showing a tape delay at 1 am EDT tomorrow.
Old 08-22-2007, 12:14 PM   #19
Pongo
Golden Member

Pongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to all

http://myp2p.eu/NBA.htm updated it some hours ago, nice
Old 08-22-2007, 02:14 PM   #20
alby
Guru

the TV will be on ESPN classic all day

Contact Me
Old 08-22-2007, 10:08 PM   #21
alby
Guru

kidd's vision is incredible

Contact Me
Old 08-22-2007, 10:10 PM   #22
alby
Guru

OMG WHAT A DEAL

THE TICKETS TO THE GAME ARE FOR AN ALL DAY EVENT. 10 DOLLARS FOR 4 GAMES! 1PM-11PM

I'M GOING TO VEGAS ON SUNDAY!

10 DOLLARS WAS ALREADY A STEAL TO WATCH TEAM USA, BUT FOR 4 GAMES??? WOW

Contact Me
Old 08-22-2007, 10:32 PM   #23
alby
Guru

21-8 US team ahead after the first quarter

Contact Me
Old 08-22-2007, 10:33 PM   #24
Pongo
Golden Member

mike miller shoots it every time he touches it...
I kinda like, the shots will fall eventually!!
Old 08-22-2007, 10:35 PM   #25
alby
Guru

he's 1-3.

Contact Me
Old 08-22-2007, 10:36 PM   #26
alby
Guru

jason kidd is such an amazing PG. if he had the suns roster... yikes

Contact Me
Old 08-22-2007, 10:38 PM   #27
alby
Guru

Lol Venezuela can not shoot freethrows

Contact Me
Old 08-22-2007, 10:44 PM   #28
Pongo
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby
he's 1-3.
i thought he was one 1-4

lebron with the NICE dish to kobe.... beautiful
Old 08-22-2007, 10:44 PM   #29
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

yeah well USA isn't that great at shooting free thows either. Not as good as they should be anyways.
Old 08-22-2007, 10:44 PM   #30
Pongo
Golden Member

nobody interested in USA Basketball except alby and me?
Old 08-22-2007, 10:48 PM   #31
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Does Bill Walton know he sounds like a total douche bag?
Old 08-22-2007, 10:52 PM   #32
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

the defensive intensity in the 2nd quarter is quite lacking compared to the 1st.
Old 08-22-2007, 10:52 PM   #33
alby
Guru

walton cracks me up
what an entertainer

Contact Me
Old 08-22-2007, 10:53 PM   #34
alby
Guru

its natural to let up after being up 30

Contact Me
Old 08-22-2007, 10:55 PM   #35
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

15 3PA in the 1st half so far....

That's all fun and games this summer, but next summer, that sh%t isn't going to fly.
Old 08-22-2007, 10:57 PM   #36
alby
Guru

wow what a shot over prince

Contact Me
Old 08-22-2007, 10:58 PM   #37
alby
Guru

54-34 halftime

Contact Me
Old 08-22-2007, 10:59 PM   #38
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

I think we can safely say that the venezuelans were never in the guarding Chauncey Billups race in the first place....I'd like to see some more of him in the 2nd half.
Old 08-22-2007, 11:13 PM   #39
alby
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco
15 3PA in the 1st half so far....

That's all fun and games this summer, but next summer, that sh%t isn't going to fly.
that's pretty standard for international play?

Contact Me
Old 08-22-2007, 11:22 PM   #40
Pongo
Golden Member

yes it is... gotta keep shooting from the outside, so they won't clog up the paint