Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 08-21-2010, 07:14 PM   #1
Dirkgreatness
Platinum Member

Dirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to behold
Thumbs up Netflix hidden gems

I use this thing to watch shows most of the time. But I've seen quite a few gems on here. Like the movie called nine dead. Do you guys have any movies you would recommend?
Old 08-21-2010, 09:28 PM   #2
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

You're right. I've been crazy about Netflix lately.

Depends what your genre is, and if you're just looking for quick streaming movies or dvds as well.

I've been on a horror binge lately, so let me know if you have a strong stomach .

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 11:11 PM   #3
Dirkgreatness
Platinum Member

Dirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to behold

Right now I'm really into thrillers. I just got done watching "The girl with the dragon tattoo", awesome movie. Only thing I disliked was that it's in Scandinavian, which made it hard to understand since you have to read captions through out the movie.
Old 08-21-2010, 11:21 PM   #4
ribosoma
Golden Member

ribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
You're right. I've been crazy about Netflix lately.

Depends what your genre is, and if you're just looking for quick streaming movies or dvds as well.

I've been on a horror binge lately, so let me know if you have a strong stomach .
Great thread topic.

Have you seen the classic Japanese horror flick from 1999 called 'Audition'? Or one of my all-time favorite films that happens to be in the horror genre, 'Let the Right One In'?

There's also my favorite monster flick, 'The Host', which is fun and a little interesting.

I also liked 'The Eclipse'. More of a suspenseful flick, but pretty good.

All of the aforementioned are available to watch instantly via Netflix.

I am sure that most people here have already seen these, but, if not, I think you'll dig them.
ribosoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 11:27 PM   #5
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkgreatness View Post
Right now I'm really into thrillers. I just got done watching "The girl with the dragon tattoo", awesome movie. Only thing I disliked was that it's in Scandinavian, which made it hard to understand since you have to read captions through out the movie.
Good movie for sure. And I stop noticing captions in any subtitled movie after the first 2-3 minutes, usually.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 12:24 PM   #6
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribosoma View Post
Great thread topic.

Have you seen the classic Japanese horror flick from 1999 called 'Audition'? Or one of my all-time favorite films that happens to be in the horror genre, 'Let the Right One In'?

There's also my favorite monster flick, 'The Host', which is fun and a little interesting.

I am sure that most people here have already seen these, but, if not, I think you'll dig them.
I haven't seen the Eclipse. I'll check it out.

Oh boy, if you want to delve into some stomach churning but great stuff, then you need to watch some French horror. I strongly recommend Inside and Martyrs. Those two movies make Audition look like it's PG13. I really did like Audition though near the end...another Japanese great is Battle Royale.

Old 08-22-2010, 06:27 PM   #7
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

one word:
Zardoz

Last edited by Usually Lurkin; 08-22-2010 at 06:30 PM.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 09:18 PM   #8
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
another Japanese great is Battle Royale.
True.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 10:13 PM   #9
CadBane
Banned

CadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribosoma View Post
Great thread topic.

Let the Right One In is amazing.

Audition is possibly Miike's most overrated film ever. Not surprised you like it.

The Host is pure, unmitigated garbage.

One out of three isn't bad when you're soliciting your community college film professor for advice, I guess.
CadBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 10:15 PM   #10
CadBane
Banned

CadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond repute

If you don't mind subtitles, two great Danish films I've seen recently:

Terribly Happy

and

Just Another Love Story

The former is very Cohen Brother-esque. Dark comedy. The latter is just a solid Romance-Thriller done properly, with a non-Hollywood ending.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:23 PM   #11
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Ichi The Killer is Taakashii Mike's best film.

Old 08-23-2010, 11:52 PM   #12
CadBane
Banned

Quote:
I would concur. Especially if you hate clowns. Miike has a nice cameo in Hostel. The only good part of the movie really.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:06 AM   #13
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Have you seen Gozu? It's on Netflix Instant...

Not Mike's best, but it's still pretty messed up - worth a viewing (and much better if you have a Japanese-sense of humor, though it's definitely not a comedy...)

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 08-24-2010 at 10:15 AM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 10:14 AM   #14
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usually Lurkin View Post
one word:
Zardoz
Classic example of "so bad, it's good" - makes you wonder how drunk Sean Connery was when he agreed to do it (and during the filming...)

Hippy-dippy-trippy effects and lots of boobs... What's not to like?

Old 08-24-2010, 04:49 PM   #15
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Hippy-dippy-trippy effects and lots of boobs... What's not to like?
Sounds to me like the start of a pretty good movie.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 01:35 PM   #16
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

i started watching miami ink from season 1 via netflix streaming..i'm up to the middle of season 4 right now....hey..i like the art work and the tattoos.

netflix is awesome
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 01:57 PM   #17
ribosoma
Golden Member

ribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Have you seen Gozu? It's on Netflix Instant...

Not Mike's best, but it's still pretty messed up - worth a viewing (and much better if you have a Japanese-sense of humor, though it's definitely not a comedy...)
That has to be one of the most bizarre movies ever made. I saw it a few years back and couldn't fully comprehend what I had just seen.

I second Ichi. Pure greatness, especially if you like to see some dude catch a guy's fist with his mouth and bite it off.

Unlike CadBan, I didn't think Audition was overrated at all. It was very troubling and probably the most disturbing of Miike's films. It was a very Jungian film to me.
ribosoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 08:09 PM   #18
Dirkgreatness
Platinum Member

I watched Food Inc last night and it was an eye opening documentary . Makes you think about the food you consume. It's crazy how all this stuff goes on and we aren't even aware of it.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:03 PM   #19
Rick41
Diamond Member

Rick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsX View Post
i started watching miami ink from season 1 via netflix streaming..i'm up to the middle of season 4 right now....hey..i like the art work and the tattoos.

netflix is awesome

Tru dat. I went through Weeds seasons 1-5 fairly quickly.

"Dirk Nowitzki is now a household name in every locker room in this world.
You say it in Brazil, you say Dirk, they know Nowitzki. You say it in China,
they know Nowitzki. Kobe, Michael, DIRK." - Jeff Van Gundy
Rick41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 11:05 PM   #20
Dirkgreatness
Platinum Member

Dang i ran out of shows to watch. I've watched Lost, Prison Break, Heroes, Legend of the Seeker, Californication, and Jericho.
Old 09-23-2010, 02:54 AM   #21
CadBane
Banned

Quote:
Dang i ran out of shows to watch. I've watched Lost, Prison Break, Heroes, Legend of the Seeker, Californication, and Jericho.
Party Down
East Bound and Down
Summer Heights High
Entourage
Nip/Tuck
Breaking Bad
Mad Men
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
Community
The Office

There you go.
Old 10-11-2010, 09:53 AM   #22
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

netflix is awesome
update, not that anybody cares. But, i did finish Miami Ink, all 6 seasons. It was awesome. Netflix is cool. I like it. I'll probably try and find some other stuff to watch. I heard the sheild is amazing, and i forget what the other one like the shield is called, but i'll figure it out.
Old 10-11-2010, 09:54 AM   #23
MavsX
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CadBane View Post
Party Down
East Bound and Down
Summer Heights High
Entourage
Nip/Tuck
Breaking Bad
Mad Men
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
Community
The Office

There you go.
they dont have sunny streaming..yet. i dont think they have a few of those shows actually..
Old 10-11-2010, 09:55 AM   #24
MavsX
Diamond Member

Quote:
you sir...should get a job. haha
Old 10-11-2010, 10:37 AM   #25
Underdog

Quote:
i forget what the other one like the shield is called, but i'll figure it out.
The Wire?

Old 10-12-2010, 06:18 AM   #26
MavsX
Diamond Member

Quote:
The Wire?
yeah, that's it. +1 for you. Are either of those shows still in production. Or are they done?

edit- i gotta spread that rep. around...sorry.

Last edited by MavsX; 10-12-2010 at 06:19 AM.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:26 AM   #27
Underdog

Quote:
yeah, that's it. +1 for you. Are either of those shows still in production. Or are they done?

edit- i gotta spread that rep. around...sorry.
Both The Wire and The Shield ended their runs a couple years ago, so you'll be able to watch front-to-back without interruption.

Old 10-13-2010, 07:08 AM   #28
MavsX
Diamond Member

Quote:
Both The Wire and The Shield ended their runs a couple years ago, so you'll be able to watch front-to-back without interruption.
that sounds good to me. Also, that's what she said.
Old 10-13-2010, 11:40 AM   #29
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

I was shocked to find that bears, beets, BSG is available for streaming!!!!

Is this ghost ball??
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 12:19 PM   #30
Mav Addict
Golden Member

Mav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud of
Default PS3 Owners

http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/18/p...he-usa-say-go/

Has anybody streamed Netflix thru their PS3 without the Netflix disk?... the capability was just released yesterday?

First off when I stream netflix using that ps3 disk, it was not in HD, and was very buggy

Now everything is in HD and 5.1 surround sound....the user interface is nice and very easy to use.....best thing since sliced bread

Anybody else try it yet?
Old 10-20-2010, 03:54 PM   #31
CadBane
Banned

Quote:
they dont have sunny streaming..yet. i dont think they have a few of those shows actually..
He said he ran out of shows to watch. I didn't say anything about streaming. There are things called "Side Reel" and "Downloads".

Last edited by CadBane; 10-20-2010 at 03:54 PM.
Old 10-22-2010, 01:34 PM   #32
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

Legion of Extraordinary Dancers. It's like Heroes but with dancing in a not too fruity kinda way.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 01:42 PM   #33
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usually Lurkin View Post
Legion of Extraordinary Dancers. It's like Heroes but with dancing in a not too fruity kinda way.
I am baffled that these pieces could somehow fit together...

Is this ghost ball??
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 04:34 PM   #34
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Creepshow streams. A horror cult classic and perfect for Halloween.

Last edited by DevinHarriswillstart; 10-24-2010 at 04:34 PM.
Old 10-24-2010, 11:49 PM   #35
Robillion
Golden Member

Robillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant future

Arrested Development, Weeds, Dexter, Rescue Me, Firefly, and The Riches are also available to stream... and I highly recommend all of them. They are on my must watch list.

I love Netflix. Ive seen every show I can watch on there pretty much. So these day I watch an occasional new movie on there or an episode of My Name is Earl. One episode at a time is good enough for that show.

Last edited by Robillion; 10-24-2010 at 11:55 PM.
Robillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 11:15 PM   #36
Dirkgreatness
Platinum Member

Just got done watching all the seasons of Mad Men. Great show!
Old 03-16-2014, 03:21 PM   #37
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Watched Marwencol last night on Netflix. If you haven't see it...watch it. Pretty amazing.

Old 03-16-2014, 04:02 PM   #38
oilfieldtrash
Golden Member

oilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of light

Senna, Restrepo, The Lincoln lawyer,
oilfieldtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 10:27 AM   #39
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Robot and Frank
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 04:50 PM   #40
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Das Boot: Director's Cut

Tags
cadbanned makes weak tags, clever..., netflix, udgetshispantiesinabunch