Dallas-Mavs.com Forums
Old 10-25-2011, 02:06 AM   #1
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute
Default How bad is Billy Hunter?

Is this the guy you would want negotiating for you?

Quote:
"A guy makes a few dollars in his playing career, but most of our players when they end playing basketball they are going to be living for another 40 years or so. And so I don't know how long that money is going to last. Even if they made every prudent investment that they could possibly make, I don't know at what level they are going to be able to live. But I think after a while it just becomes a principle. For a lot of these players that is what it's about."
Seriously? Is he really saying "Dude...listen...how long do you think a few million bucks is going to last a guy? Have you seen the return on investments these days? I mean, in this day and age you could be Warren Buffet and still not make it on a few mil. Not at any reasonable standard of living, anyway."

It's a matter of principle, he says. Yeah. If your principle is that you should necessarily be set for life without ever working a job for the next 40 years, just because you played in the NBA, I guess.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-2011, 09:00 AM   #2
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't see what that comment has to do with his ability to negotiate. Agree or disagree you'd have to admit that he's done ok for the players to this point.

I intrepreted the last part a little differently than you did. When he said it's just the principle he wasn't saying that you should be set for life if you've ever set foot on an NBA court. He was going back to his larger point that the owners are trying to, in his words, "run the table" instead of looking for common ground.

Not sure if you just read that comment or listened to the entire interview but I thought he came off well.
Old 11-10-2011, 12:12 AM   #3
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

The players are getting ready to take it in the shorts...there seems to be no doubt about that. They are going to lose a half to a full season in salary, it seems. And in return they are going to get...well, nothing, it seems. This looks like a rout.

Nobody gives a shit what a player does with his money, or even less what he does with his finances once he is done earning an NBA salary. Hunter said it was "a principle." What principle? That the league should make sure you are nice and financially sound once you quit playing, with the millions you made? That's a principle? You need someone to support your livelihood for the rest of your life, out of principle?

The mistake was to put it in terms of "something needed" rather than "value added." It was a horrible negotiating stance...and if that's what they were angling for, they deserve everything they are getting.
Old 11-10-2011, 01:01 AM   #4
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh it's going to be a rout. There's really nothing he could have done about that. His job at this point is to keep the score as close as possible.

I'm guessing you didn't listen to the actual interview. He never said or inferred that players should be set for life, he simply pointed out that many aren't. it's not a negotiating point because like you said, how the players manage their money is irrelevant. His job is to make sure that they get everything that's on the table.

The principle comment was essentially about not giving to every owner demand despite the fact that the players lack real leverage. Had nothing to do with life long financial security.

Last edited by dirno2000; 11-10-2011 at 01:01 AM.
dirno2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 02:12 AM   #5
chumdawg
Guru

I think if I were a negotiator, I would love nothing more than going one-on-one with Billy Hunter and the NBA players. You watch. Withhold a couple checks, and they will fold right away. Everyone knows this. Withhold a full season? Name your rules.
Old 11-11-2011, 02:35 AM   #6
dirno2000
Diamond Member

Well, Billy Hunter negotiated the last deal that had the players getting 57% of BRI and the owners losing their asses. I imagine it wouldn't be as easy as you think.

The owners are going to win this one but not because one side out negotiated the other. This is about how much pain can you take and I get the feeling that the majority of the players, like their NFL brethren, don't have to stomach for the fight. We'll see over the next few days.

In any case it's fascinating theater and we got our ring so I'm fine either way.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:34 PM   #7
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirno2000 View Post
In any case it's fascinating theater and we got our ring so I'm fine either way.
I agree. For some reason, this lock out is not affecting me as much as I thought it would. Probably because a) it's football season and b) if the entire season is cancelled, the Mavs are 2-year reigning champs!

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote