Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 12-08-2012, 10:43 PM   #1
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute
Default PGT: This one deserves one - Mayo burns the flopping beard

lol Rockets

No Dirk, No Marion, half Kaman...Rockets suck as usual

Mayo was the man but Kaman killed Asik/Patterson etc before his re-injury: 20-7 in 18min. Against Phoenix 15-7 in 20min.

Last edited by sefant77; 12-08-2012 at 10:46 PM.
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-2012, 10:45 PM   #2
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

I still love Harden, but Mayo can match him. Great game. Best game of the year IMO.

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:46 PM   #3
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Wright has played the couple of games. Mavs get a couple of wins.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:49 PM   #4
jleefilled
Platinum Member

jleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant future

What a great duel by Mayo and Harden.

There have been a lot of questions about Wright's defense, but it sure does seem like some teams have a lot harder time scoring in the paint with Wright hopping around the rim trying to block shots.

Mayo's confidence keeps growing. Dirk-Mayo combo is going to be lethal.
jleefilled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:50 PM   #5
markus1234
Platinum Member

markus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to behold

Derek Fisher is my man
markus1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:52 PM   #6
tron#1

tron#1 is just really nicetron#1 is just really nicetron#1 is just really nicetron#1 is just really nicetron#1 is just really nicetron#1 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
I still love Harden, but Mayo can match him. Great game. Best game of the year IMO.

exactly Mayo has been so disrespected because of coach Hollins and what he dit to him in memphis. its a reason the NBA SCOUTS saw him as the best and most pro ready guard coming out of college. work ethic guys it pays off. he is about to sign a BIG contract this offseason. what i love most is he is a humble guy. i beleive is drives a Prius.
tron#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:53 PM   #7
tron#1

tron#1 is just really nicetron#1 is just really nicetron#1 is just really nicetron#1 is just really nicetron#1 is just really nicetron#1 is just really nice

Im going all out on this one. "IF" dirk comes back and is dirk of old and Mayo plays like this... they can beat ANYBODY in the west in 7 game series. all we need is to get everyone health and make a run 2nd half of season.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:56 PM   #8
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

When Dirk comes back they need to focus on rebounding and D. You go nowhere in the postseason with such a sucking D...

Now im getting a beer and gonna read the GTD on clutchfans

Last edited by sefant77; 12-08-2012 at 10:58 PM.
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:09 PM   #9
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefant77 View Post
lol Rockets
Pretty much this.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:10 PM   #10
b_o_r
Golden Member

b_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by tron#1 View Post
Im going all out on this one. "IF" dirk comes back and is dirk of old and Mayo plays like this... they can beat ANYBODY in the west in 7 game series. all we need is to get everyone health and make a run 2nd half of season.
Mayo was terrific and it was a much needed win but you need to have several seats with that statement.
b_o_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:19 PM   #11
iella
Golden Member

iella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tron#1 View Post
This board gives me so much whiplash I think I might need to go see my chiropractor.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:45 PM   #12
b_o_r
Golden Member

b_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by iella View Post
This board gives me so much whiplash I think I might need to go see my chiropractor.
All Mavs boards are like that.
Crowder was the steal of the draft just 2 weeks ago. Now the majority of the people want him in the D-League.
b_o_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:58 PM   #13
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder if this the year that Dirk becomes our 2nd leading scorer?

Mayo is a legit scorer in this league. Can't wait to see him play the 2 man game with a healthy Dirk.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:59 PM   #14
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_o_r View Post
All Mavs boards are like that.
Crowder was the steal of the draft just 2 weeks ago. Now the majority of the people want him in the D-League.
All Fan boards are like that, not just Mav boards.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 12-09-2012, 12:04 AM   #15
sike
The Preacha

kaman w a very nice effort in his limited minutes tonight

Old 12-09-2012, 01:10 AM   #16
|_Jeff_|

|_Jeff_| has a spectacular aura about|_Jeff_| has a spectacular aura about|_Jeff_| has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike View Post
I wonder if this the year that Dirk becomes our 2nd leading scorer?
_.(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)

Last edited by |_Jeff_|; 12-09-2012 at 01:10 AM.
|_Jeff_| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 01:22 AM   #17
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Very good game. I was only able to watch the last 3 min after watching a Christmas parade, but it was a blast and I look forward to watching the archived version tomorrow
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 02:20 AM   #18
Skywalker
Diamond Member

Skywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond repute

Mavs are 6-1 when OJ goes for 25+

Quote:
Dirk Nowitzki is a monster of epic and unattainable proportion. Seriously, he must be stopped.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:27 AM   #19
tron#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_o_r View Post
Mayo was terrific and it was a much needed win but you need to have several seats with that statement.
the dirk that played in 2010-2011 playoffs and this Mayo YES they can beat anyone in the west. its pick your poison on this one play dirk one on one and get burned or double him and have the leagues best 3 point shooter have a field day. if marion is healthy and kaman who just scored 20 in a bad ankle. add vince coming off bench with his shooting YES again i think they can beat anyone. MATCHUPS playoffs are about MATCHUP.
Old 12-09-2012, 05:48 AM   #20
Kante
Diamond Member

Kante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond repute

Fisher seems to have a good impact down the stretch, so that the guys don't get rattled.
Kante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:50 AM   #21
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kante View Post
Fisher seems to have a good impact down the stretch, so that the guys don't get rattled.
The team is 3-1 with him as a starter for what it is worth.

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:40 AM   #22
sinsin

sinsin will become famous soon enoughsinsin will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by iella View Post
i was, still am and always will be an absolute dirk fanboy
in dirk i trust, no whiplashes here.
sinsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:10 AM   #23
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

The Mavs are holding their head above water without Dirk. It's better than what should have been expected.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:22 AM   #24
dirt_dobber
Diamond Member

dirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond repute

Back to .500

O.J.Mayo - 40 Pts, 8 Reb, 3 Ast, 2 Stl

Mayo has scored at least 20 points 11 times this season. ...

the following from http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2012/1...g-the-mustard/
“O.J. [Mayo] is definitely on the kind of roll where he’s putting the team on his back,” said Derek Fisher. “He’s playing at an unbelievable level. It sounds simple, but I think O.J. just wants to win.”

There’s a difference to the way Mayo is playing this season: more confident, more forceful and shooting a career-best 47.3 percent.

“I pretty much know my role,” he said. “It’s a lot more comfortable here. It’s a comfortable setting, a comfortable locker room. Cubes [team owner Mark Cuban] did a great job in making sure players very comfortable and coaching staff is great. I’ve never felt better since I’ve been in the NBA.” unquote

Mayo is currently hitting 52% from #3pt land. The highest percentage among top 10 scorers this season.
TOP TEN SCORING
Kobe Bryant, 28.4
Kevin Durant, 27.0
Carmelo Anthony, 26.4
LeBron James, 25.1
James Harden, 24.7
Russell Westbrook, 21.5
O.J. Mayo, 20.9
LaMarcus Aldridge, 20.5
Stephen Curry, 19.7
Paul Pierce, 19.2

Dallas next 5 games
12/10 SAC 7:30pm
12/12 @BOS 7:00pm
12/14 @TOR 6:00pm
12/15 @MIN 7:00pm
12/18 PHI 7:30pm

Last edited by dirt_dobber; 12-09-2012 at 10:06 AM.
dirt_dobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:38 AM   #25
j0Shi
Diamond Member

j0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond repute

Mayo was a beast, but lets not forget Kaman here, who managed to outplay Mayo on a per-minute-basis. I really like that Mayo thrives without Dirk and establishs himself as a a legit option. At the very least a huge upgrade over Terry in terms of creating your own shot.

Have to say though that I don't expect him to stay on this level all season, but the more attention Mayo draws, the easier it'll get for Dirk.

Wright much more active on the defensive end, better all-around showing from him. Still don't get why Dominique should see any time. Bad on offense, worse on defense. I see his aggressiveness and why Carlisle likes this facet of his game, but he easily is the Mavs worst player.

Last edited by j0Shi; 12-09-2012 at 10:38 AM.
j0Shi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:29 AM   #26
Kante
Diamond Member

Kante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, Dojo is flat out horrible and should be put on inactive.

Kaman got into a rhytm early on and just destroyed Asik!
Old 12-09-2012, 02:02 PM   #27
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

The team would be pretty salty (once Dirk's back) if they could just get out of Collison what they got out of him for the first few games of the year. I don't know if that's reasonable to expect at this point, though.

Old 12-09-2012, 02:57 PM   #28
Kante
Diamond Member

At times Collison looked good, at other times just brutal. Some passes were pretty retarded and his defense was below average to say the least!

He just needs Dirk i think, then he can have an impact like Barea!
Old 12-09-2012, 06:10 PM   #29
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
The team would be pretty salty (once Dirk's back) if they could just get out of Collison what they got out of him for the first few games of the year. I don't know if that's reasonable to expect at this point, though.
We obviously can hope that Dirk's return brings a significant bump to Collison's game...but I'm afraid that the player we saw in the opening week of the season might have been an aberration.

Old 12-09-2012, 06:18 PM   #30
sike
The Preacha

“I pretty much know my role,” he said. “It’s a lot more comfortable here. It’s a comfortable setting, a comfortable locker room. Cubes [team owner Mark Cuban] did a great job in making sure players (are)very comfortable and (the) coaching staff is great. I’ve never felt better since I’ve been in the NBA.” - Mayo from last night's game.

Old 12-09-2012, 06:22 PM   #31
LonghornDub

Quote:
We obviously can hope that Dirk's return brings a significant bump to Collison's game...but I'm afraid that the player we saw in the opening week of the season might have been an aberration.
Unfortunately, I agree. The stuff that's wrong with Collison isn't (mostly) the kinda stuff that's gonna be fixed by Dirk.

Old 12-09-2012, 08:44 PM   #32
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Mentioned this on Twitter, but Mayo as a rebounder really can change the tempo for the Mavericks. 3 of his first 4 buckets came off him grabbing the defensive rebound and going with the PUJIT.

I'm a firm believer that the closing shot he hand in Phoenix carried over into Houston. He's got confidence and a belief that he can be "the man" for the team. They put the ball in his hands in that closing situation and he gave them the lead. He's actually a major threat when you give him the ball in an ISO situation because he can take his man off the dribble (and actually finish), he can do what he did and square up for a J or he can drive and dish to another teammate.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:48 PM   #33
ReDirkulous Tyme

ReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
Unfortunately, I agree. The stuff that's wrong with Collison isn't (mostly) the kinda stuff that's gonna be fixed by Dirk.
I think this is partially true, albeit not completely. Everyone here has seen the flashes of Collison where he seems like a bigger version of JJB, which in all honesty wouldn't be terrible for this team. I think a big problem for him, which I've also seen as a problem for Mayo up to this point, is knowing when and where to assert themselves offensively, and when to defer. I think both Mayo and Collison are still getting comfortable in the offensive system RC likes to run. They look great when they're running the fast break and have to act and play on instinct, but when it comes to half-court offense the only two players I've really seen that look comfortable and don't hesitate are VC and Kaman, with Mayo finally starting to find his niche. I think Collison, as a PG, has an even more difficult time finding his niche because he is not only looking for gaps and creases in the defense to create shots for others, but he is also trying to decide when he should look for his own shot. I think Collison and Mayo need to be more assertive in attacking the rim in the half-court sets, especially with Dirk out.

With regards to Dirk coming back, I think he makes the game infinitely easier for everyone else on the team. I think those shots where Collison is running the P&R with Brand and he comes off the pick with partial daylight, but not a ton he hesitates on what to do, when you have the German setting that pick, he's suddenly FAR more open than he is with either Brand or Kaman setting the screen. I think that makes it easier for him to decide when to shoot and when to penetrate. Also, I think everyone is just going to find themselves ridiculously open compared to how open they've been up to this point in the season. I think offensively the game just gets soooooooo much easier with Dirk on the floor, with how much he spaces the floor and how much attention he will draw just being on the floor. I'm excited to see how good we are offensively, to say the least, when Dirk gets back.

edit: the thing I'm falling in love with in regards to Mayo is his demeanor and approach to the game, in conjunction with the fact that he obviously has developed an amazing work ethic and is a gym rat. If he continues with this mentality, I see no reason why he shouldn't continue to improve. This is an area in which I'm not completely certain with regards to DC, I haven't heard enough about him to know if he's shown a gym rat mentality, and I'm not sure about his poise and in-game demeanor. We shall see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394 View Post
Things in the mirror are closer than they appear.

Last edited by ReDirkulous Tyme; 12-09-2012 at 09:05 PM.
ReDirkulous Tyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:47 PM   #34
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9 View Post
He's actually a major threat when you give him the ball in an ISO situation because he can take his man off the dribble (and actually finish), he can do what he did and square up for a J or he can drive and dish to another teammate.
It worth noting that his game seems like an improved version of JET's...and we know how well JET paired with Dirk. I see no reason to think that a young guy with as much game and inner drive as OJ has wouldn't thrive next to Dirk.

Old 12-10-2012, 07:00 PM   #35
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
It worth noting that his game seems like an improved version of JET's...and we know how well JET paired with Dirk. I see no reason to think that a young guy with as much game and inner drive as OJ has wouldn't thrive next to Dirk.
He's definitely playing at level that exceeds what JET's been able to (consistently) do over the last few years, but to me there are enough differences in their games that I don't think the JET v2.0 label is quite accurate (maybe I've said this before but it's on my mind again...). For one thing, OJ has yet to show that he's on JET's level as a playmaker. People got so used to trashing JET as a point guard that I think many have forgotten that - relative to the standards of the SG position he and OJ play - JET was a pretty good, well...point guard. I also think JET was better moving without the ball, and a bit quicker in his day, which led to him having a more productive midrange game. By comparison, OJ's been setting himself apart with his ability to get his shot off against tight defense (even if he's not quite as adept at shaking said defense), and with his three-point marksmanship.

Whether or not all that holds up is an open question. We haven't seen OJ with Dirk yet, and maybe that'll bring out some more playmaking from him. Though at the same time, historical precedent says his long-range accuracy is likely to settle down a bit eventually (he'd never been a significantly better three point shooter than JET before this year). At any rate, hopefully there's room for everything to balance out in the long run in a way that doesn't significantly lessen his overall effectiveness. He's been a very pleasant surprise.

Tags
.500 bitches!