Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 12-23-2015, 03:41 PM   #41
Thebo

Thebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to behold

I think that the main problem is not so much with Parsons but how he fits into RC offense. I just don't see him fit well. He is average or slightly above average in all areas but I haven't seen him being great at anything particular. He might be good at passing the ball but RC hasn't really explored it. Parsons had great assists numbers when he was playing for Rockets but I wasn't really paying any attention to him then. It could've very well be that he was used better there.

More often then not, when Parsons gets the ball, Mavs' offense stagnates. It may still be that he is getting used to all the plays and new teammates. Almost nobody is still accustomed to McGee because nobody is throwing lobs for him - which he has been looking for a lot.

I am not for Noah-Parsons swap though. As much as I'd like to see Noah as a Mav, you can't waste Parsons and not get back any decent SF. Mavs need a defensive SF who's able to hit threes. One of the reasons why Aminu isn't here - which is sad because he has been lights out for three in Portland. Not sure why Mavs didn't explore the idea of keeping Aminu and trading Parsons for picks or something of value.

I'm not sure how Parsons' trade value is going to be affected. Right now he should still be valuable because people consider him injured. If his play continues to be like this until trade deadline, he won't get anything of value back. If he improves his play, then that would end this topic. I do believe his value is currently around Noah's though. Both are having injuries and are struggling.
Thebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-2015, 04:03 PM   #42
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
"It created the most amount of problems for them," Cuban said. "The trade kicker not only made [the contract] more expensive, but the opt out [after Year 2] could create a Kevin Love-type situation for any teams interested in trading for him, where you don't know if he's gonna opt in or opt out.
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/11...ckets#contract

If he had such a low value in a possible trade in year 2 before the injury in Houston's eyes thus resulting in Morey making the quote of "one of the most untradeable contracts I've ever seen" then now his value is if anything negative. A team would be paying his salary plus a 15% kicker and have a risk of him not even opting in if it was somewhere he did not want to be. IMO Mavs are better served to let this season play out and hoping that with time he gets his legs. Because nobody is giving us anything for him this season, it would be my trash for yours at best which would be difficult matching salaries of trash for trash or much more likely... we'd be giving up assets to move him. I'm going to just continue to hope that by the end of January he's showing improvement. He's not the only one out there passing gas as perfume he's just the most frustrating because he was marketed as the next guy when he should have been just "part of a new core" or something.
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 12:44 AM   #43
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Rumor that bulls are looking to move Noah and Taj for a wing player. Not sure that moves the meter enough. What do you guys think?
Old 12-24-2015, 12:57 AM   #44
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonhead View Post
Rumor that bulls are looking to move Noah and Taj for a wing player. Not sure that moves the meter enough. What do you guys think?
I really like both of those guys and have a lot of faith that the Mavs' training staff would be able to extract every remaining bit of health out of Noah... if they can get Noah back to where he's deserving of being a 30+ MPG player, that kind of acquisition would be a no-brainer... and as much as I really want to see Powell getting 25 MPG as the primary backup big, you can't deny that Taj Gibson is a pretty serious upgrade. The only problem is, I don't really know what you give Chicago as a trade package for either or both of those guys that couldn't be trumped by about 20 other teams. I would also tend to think that if the Bulls are trading one or both of those guys, they're probably looking for younger guys in return that can be part of the team's future built around Jimmy Butler and possibly Bobby Portis.

Parsons works straight-up for Noah, but I don't know that the Bulls would want to roll the dice on him either not getting all the way back to 100% or that he wouldn't leave this summer if they don't look like contenders. It would seem like one of Barea/Harris would be an appealing piece for the Bulls as well, with the franchise's inability to sign a reliable backup point guard as insurance against a Rose injury. Parsons/Barea for Noah/Gibson also works if we're thinking along those lines...
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 01:22 AM   #45
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
I really like both of those guys and have a lot of faith that the Mavs' training staff would be able to extract every remaining bit of health out of Noah... if they can get Noah back to where he's deserving of being a 30+ MPG player, that kind of acquisition would be a no-brainer... and as much as I really want to see Powell getting 25 MPG as the primary backup big, you can't deny that Taj Gibson is a pretty serious upgrade. The only problem is, I don't really know what you give Chicago as a trade package for either or both of those guys that couldn't be trumped by about 20 other teams. I would also tend to think that if the Bulls are trading one or both of those guys, they're probably looking for younger guys in return that can be part of the team's future built around Jimmy Butler and possibly Bobby Portis.

Parsons works straight-up for Noah, but I don't know that the Bulls would want to roll the dice on him either not getting all the way back to 100% or that he wouldn't leave this summer if they don't look like contenders. It would seem like one of Barea/Harris would be an appealing piece for the Bulls as well, with the franchise's inability to sign a reliable backup point guard as insurance against a Rose injury. Parsons/Barea for Noah/Gibson also works if we're thinking along those lines...
Good assessment. Like you said they're probably looking for younger. My only worry is a repeat of a rondo or Odom situation. (Not as disastrous) They are dumped by the team they've always been with, and the next team they are on is sort of a "rebound" team (no pun intended), so they're heart isn't in that immediate season. I hate midseason trades because it's hard to adjust for both parties on the fly while pushing for playoff seeding.
Old 12-24-2015, 09:37 AM   #46
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamaljasonandjimmy View Post
I would trade noah for Parsons. Straight up. I never even wanted Parsons here. I always wanted ariza over Parsons.
bahahahahaha

And as expected Arizas shooting is after one of his rare fluke years back to earth and he is sucking the life out of the Rockets.

Ariza is one of the most overrated role player in NBA history...
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 09:39 AM   #47
Thebo

Thebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefant77 View Post
Nothing since he is pretty mucn an expiring contract with his PO
Don't forget that Noah is also expiring and it's unclear whether he wants to re-sign with Bulls or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefant77 View Post
bahahahahaha

And as expected Arizas shooting is after one of his rare fluke years back to earth and he is sucking the life out of the Rockets.

Ariza is one of the most overrated role player in NBA history...
It's not about his shooting that is needed. Unlike Parsons he actually brings defense.

Last edited by Thebo; 12-24-2015 at 09:42 AM.
Old 12-24-2015, 03:09 PM   #48
Kante
Diamond Member

Kante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond repute

So, why is Matthews getting a pass then despite playing worse than Parsons?

Both should get time to heal 100% but that thread wonders me...
Kante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 03:29 PM   #49
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

As a mod, I think I have the obligation to warn all visitors to this thread that they should watch their feet and ankles as they stroll through. Enough knee-jerking to cause someone to get tripped or kicked. Everyone is welcome here, but please walk carefully lest you get injured by the flailing

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 12-24-2015 at 03:29 PM.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 08:21 PM   #50
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by spreedom View Post

I think it would take Parsons/Felton/Anderson or Powell for Noah/Gibson/McDermott for Bulls to even begin to talk to us.
I just don't see any way we can get Gibson and Noah without giving up at least one of our young promising players.

Last edited by rimrocker; 12-25-2015 at 08:25 PM.
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 04:30 PM   #51
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

https://twitter.com/bobbykaralla

Quote:
The Mavs are 25-9 all-time when Chandler Parsons has at least 3 assists in a game. They're 8-0 when he gets 5+ (3 such gms in last 2 weeks).
Quote:
Since Dec. 14 the Mavs are scoring 111.1 pts/100 with Parsons on the floor, and Dallas has a 59.3 TS% with him on, highest of any Maverick.
Quote:
For reference, the Warriors lead the league in TS% at 59.1. So, w/ Parsons on the floor in last 2 wks, Mavs have been playing at that level.
Got texted these a bit ago. Just going to place them here.
Old 12-30-2015, 05:21 PM   #52
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_Wilson View Post

Great stuff
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 06:57 PM   #53
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Those are nice stats and all, but I'm just glad to see him playing without issues. He has always been a good player...just needs to stay healthy.

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 09:52 AM   #54
bilease

bilease is a splendid one to beholdbilease is a splendid one to beholdbilease is a splendid one to beholdbilease is a splendid one to beholdbilease is a splendid one to beholdbilease is a splendid one to beholdbilease is a splendid one to beholdbilease is a splendid one to beholdbilease is a splendid one to beholdbilease is a splendid one to beholdbilease is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
He has always been a good player...just needs to stay healthy.
Exactly, I didnt really understand all these comments here recently about him having no value for this team or that he should get traded. He's still recovering from a tough injury and it was known for over half a year that he would require a lot of time to get to 100%. A healthy Parsons is a pretty good player and helps this team in many ways
bilease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 12:13 PM   #55
MavzMan
Golden Member

MavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant future

This is a seriously crazy thread. I agree that Parsons is not a #1 guy, but honestly this team doesn't really have any #1 guy at this point ... including Dirk! This team is first and foremost a TEAM. Everything about this team right is built around smart players that can do several things. Parson is a prime example of that in that when he scores, drives, assists, rebounds, and at points in the game plays very good defense.

If nothing else, this team was built around Rick Carlisle and his ability to put players in at the right time and ask them to do the right thing. This may not be a championship caliber team right now, but we are still legit and have to be planned for carefully. Case in point was last night against GS and RC completely destroying Luke Walton.

My suggestion is to quit trying to change the team when we have yet to have a fully healthy starting lineup and honestly how about keeping players around for a while to develop chemistry and more important consistency within the organization.
MavzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 11:10 PM   #56
MrScottMcKenzie

MrScottMcKenzie is a jewel in the roughMrScottMcKenzie is a jewel in the roughMrScottMcKenzie is a jewel in the roughMrScottMcKenzie is a jewel in the rough

Bump. His contract isn't even worth the paper it is written on anymore.
MrScottMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 06:39 AM   #57
Kante
Diamond Member

Kante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrScottMcKenzie View Post
Bump. His contract isn't even worth the paper it is written on anymore.
Bump, this poster isn't worth the keyboard he is writing on.
Kante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 09:56 AM   #58
Thebo

I'd just like to clarify my stance, just in case. For whatever reason the hate / dislike of Parsons is growing.

Parsons is earning his salary. Under current CBA he is being overpaid. Once new kicks in, he is getting pretty much his worth.

My main problem with Parsons is his defense. I haven't kept my eyes on him during recent games but a month or so back there were quite a few instances where he didn't box out and gave offensive rebounds for the other teams. He can play defense in fourth quarter, I've seen it in the past, but for whatever reason he skips these duties for other times.

I just don't think he fits the RC system. Also with the size he has, Parsons should be involved in low post plays. When's the last time he posted up someone? If ever. I know this isn't his main game but if he isn't using his size, what good is it for then? Certainly he isn't using it on defense.

In suitable system Parsons would be great, but unless he works on it, he'll never be the 1st or perhaps even the 2nd option.

RC and Mavs need someone more like Marion who was defense first. Offensively Parsons is same and then some but can you really outscore elite teams?

Oh, and I'm not calling for trading Parsons right now. I just think that out of major players, he's the one that can be touched. I have no issues with others. And certainly I wouldn't trade Parsons if you are not getting back decent wing player.

This being said, I have to admit I find it silly when people call for trading someone but can't even give a realistic trade example to give some input into discussion. To trade someone just because makes no sense to me.

PS! And man, is here someone who wouldn't trade Parsons for Aminu right now?
PS2! I think Aminu and Crowder are notable examples what I mean by Parsons not fitting RC system. You could clearly see it last year after the Rondo trade how Parsons was really out of place and used badly. Don't you find that rebounding defensive wing that's able to pop occasional threes is just the thing RC needs?

Last edited by Thebo; 01-03-2016 at 10:04 AM. Reason: Aminu
Old 01-03-2016, 09:48 PM   #59
BigDog63

BigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by AO41 View Post
As I have mentioned in some of my posts...I just don't see Parsons as #1 or even #2. He is a very good overall player...BUT I have never seen him take a shot and said...I KNOW that's going in.

I think the Mavs only keep him at a similar salary that he is getting now or lesser...even though he will probably look for more with the cap going up.

Parsons would be the perfect option to have on a team that has a clear #1 ans #2 guy and I think the Mavs will look for that over the next few years. If Parson has an issue with that which I expect he will, then I see him going somewhere else.

ANY THOUGHTS
The Mavs didn't pick Parsons to be a #1. Not sure if they expected him to be a #2 or not. He is more of a good all around player, whereas a 1 or 2 would be fill it up offensive threats.

As for the contract, while I do think the Mavs (Cuban) overpaid, I also think they did their contracts anticipating NBA salary cap and salaries to be rising. Making a contract that might look too high now look pretty good at the end.

Currently, I think Matthews contracts is more out of line than Parsons, although he has more potential to be a #2 scorer.

The Mavs will make due consideration of Parsons, and everyone else's, salary at the appropriate time. Personally, I'm more concerned with how Parsons, and the others, play until then. The best problem the Mavs to have would be how to handle the contracts of all their overachieving players.
BigDog63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 06:55 AM   #60
Thebo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDog63 View Post
The Mavs didn't pick Parsons to be a #1.
I would like to argue that Parsons was picked because Mavs saw talent and potential in him. I would also like to argue that he has not lived up to his potential and may never do it.
Old 01-05-2016, 09:42 PM   #61
MallasDavericks

MallasDavericks is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebo View Post
I would like to argue that Parsons was picked because Mavs saw talent and potential in him. I would also like to argue that he has not lived up to his potential and may never do it.
Now he's averaging the lowest PPG in the starting 5 and looks bereft of confidence
MallasDavericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 01:44 PM   #62
bilease

bilease is a splendid one to beholdbilease is a splendid one to beholdbilease is a splendid one to beholdbilease is a splendid one to beholdbilease is a splendid one to beholdbilease is a splendid one to beholdbilease is a splendid one to beholdbilease is a splendid one to beholdbilease is a splendid one to beholdbilease is a splendid one to beholdbilease is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by MallasDavericks View Post
Now he's averaging the lowest PPG in the starting 5 and looks bereft of confidence
Wait a minute, are you telling me that a guy who's been on minute restrictions for 95% of this season and didnt even start like half of the games is actually scoring the fewest points among the starting 5? Wow. That's incredible news.
bilease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 10:57 AM   #63
bunkmoreland

bunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to behold

He sure played well last night. I hope that continues.
bunkmoreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 08:35 PM   #64
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

He certainly seems to play better when he has the ball in his hands more. I hate that, seemingly, he's always lingering around the perimeter if he doesn't have the ball. What I wouldn't give to see him making more cuts off the ball (not to mention making more of an effort on defense and rebounding...come on, dude).
Old 01-08-2016, 08:47 AM   #65
Thebo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocelot_ark View Post
He certainly seems to play better when he has the ball in his hands more. I hate that, seemingly, he's always lingering around the perimeter if he doesn't have the ball. What I wouldn't give to see him making more cuts off the ball (not to mention making more of an effort on defense and rebounding...come on, dude).
I guess perhaps Parsons is the only one in Mavs uniform that is ball dominant and can't play off ball that well? I don't know where the problem lies but like I said, it isn't as if there are better realistic options out there to replace him with.

I think most people just complain about him having the potential and not using it to a full extent.
Old 01-08-2016, 09:25 AM   #66
AO41
Platinum Member

AO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocelot_ark View Post

And thats the issue....he doesnt eant or cant play well off the ball. He wants the ball in his hands a lot but IMO he is not goof enough Point Forward to be able and runt a time or to hvae the ball in his hands so much. If he could play off the ball and find his opportunities, he could sill easily get 15 -5 -5.
Old 01-08-2016, 10:57 PM   #67
Melonhead
Guru

Thinking way ahead, I would love to snag Harrison Barnes in the summer if a situation arose in which Parsons isnt around. Hes worth the money
Old 01-08-2016, 11:04 PM   #68
Oberon

Oberon is a glorious beacon of lightOberon is a glorious beacon of lightOberon is a glorious beacon of lightOberon is a glorious beacon of lightOberon is a glorious beacon of lightOberon is a glorious beacon of lightOberon is a glorious beacon of lightOberon is a glorious beacon of light

I don't know what to do with this guy. Actually I was pretty excited when we got him. He was young, talented, and having the opportunity to work with Rick makes you think he would only get better here. But now? I gave him time to regain his form after the long-term injury but 60-70% of the games he's not contributing the way we all want from him. Every 5 games or so he eventually shows up a little bit, but that's not enough. We need consistent players, players who you can rely on in pretty much every game. Parsons isn't that kind of player right now. Considering his salary, he's not worth the money at all. I wouldn't be against a trade any more, although I doubt we'll get a good deal now.
Oberon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 05:03 AM   #69
MrScottMcKenzie

MrScottMcKenzie is a jewel in the roughMrScottMcKenzie is a jewel in the roughMrScottMcKenzie is a jewel in the roughMrScottMcKenzie is a jewel in the rough

It's baffling how people can still defend Parsons' inept play. Dude is getting paid more than Steph Curry for goodness sake!!!
Old 01-09-2016, 05:31 AM   #70
nodir41

nodir41 has a spectacular aura aboutnodir41 has a spectacular aura aboutnodir41 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrScottMcKenzie View Post
It's baffling how people can still defend Parsons' inept play. Dude is getting paid more than Steph Curry for goodness sake!!!
i could live with his overall play...BUT that dude will never get his shot right...just way to flat...he has dirk, wes and Holger around him and cant get that right!!!

I JUST CANT UNDERSTAND THAT
nodir41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 06:19 AM   #71
j0Shi
Diamond Member

j0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond repute

His shot has to get better, you're right. No excuse here if that stays the same, because it is indeed very fixable.

Don't underestimate priorities however. Dude might still need to put most of his time into recovery and can't work on specifics. Over a season there is limited time to get extended workouts anyway. Even if Holger was available it's not like you can go into the gym several hours per day. All-Star-Break offers a nice opportunity and we have an extended home-stand following it as well.

If he remains healthy March might be the month you want to be looking at for improvements.

Last edited by j0Shi; 01-09-2016 at 06:20 AM.
j0Shi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 06:19 AM   #72
Thebo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodir41 View Post
i could live with his overall play...BUT that dude will never get his shot right...just way to flat...he has dirk, wes and Holger around him and cant get that right!!!

I JUST CANT UNDERSTAND THAT
Just to clarify to others who perhaps don't understand why the complaining is taking place. Complaints are because he has made no improvements to his game.

Personally, I'm willing to give a pass on that right now. Most gains are made during off-season and so far Parsons has had only one healthy off-season with the Mavs and this was when he first got to Dallas. He didn't have much chance during last season with all this Rondo hype and people trying to improve him. I guess Holger will be in Dallas this season for 2 weeks again and one name I want to see with him is Parsons.

We are steadily coming to a point where people start asking how much has to go wrong for Parsons until he realizes he has to do something about it? He said that he'll be ready in January. Well, January is here...

We'll see what happens but if some good name comes available before trade deadline, then Mavs should have no problem involving Parsons in that conversation. I am personally willing to live with him unless there are realistic replacement ideas - like the one I made - and I have no problem seeing him in Mavs uniform next October. If he doesn't improve his game during the summer of 2016, then I'd like to see him gone for at least one 1st round draft pick. I'm sure a lot of teams are going to have loads of free cap space next Fall.

I think some people are forgetting how old Parsons really is because he is relatively young in terms of his NBA career. Parsons is 27, next October he'll be 28. He is entering his prime and only god knows what kind of prime that will be - I think in right system he could do well. He is a ball stopper and this doesn't fit Mavs' style.

Aminu is almost exactly 2 years younger, developed 3 point shot during summer and is prime example what the Mavs need. AND he is yet to enter his prime.
Old 01-09-2016, 07:30 AM   #73
MrScottMcKenzie

Parsons is a notorious poor trainer and is the furthest thing from an attention to detail guy. People go on about him finding his form late in the season and therefore we shouldn't be so hasty to whinge but let's remember there was just as much moaning about his performances last year and rightfully so. This is the dude people were saying would take over from Dirk as the face!!

Cuban messed up signing the bloke.... I struggle to see Dirk liking the bloke too... Dirk's gotten on with Zaza because he sees the fight and hunger in him, same with Wes, Parsons is nightclubbing most nights and god knows what else.

It's sad to think we've let Aminu leave and traded away Crowder and both are better basketballers than CP.

Last edited by MrScottMcKenzie; 01-09-2016 at 07:35 AM.
Old 01-09-2016, 07:57 AM   #74
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

The guy has to play better, a lot better I want to stress that before I follow it up.

I don't know about others but I defend the guy because he's always trashed on. Last year he wasn't awful at all and had to adjust a lot and still found a way to be productive, that's where his value is. He's not a star player, ppl really need to get over his salary... It's been said so many times it's nauseating, but he's only paid like he is because of restricted free agency and the timing of this spike in salary cap. He's not going to produce like a guy being paid 15m used to produce. He doesn't have one single elite skill, therefore he will never be a star, it's rly pretty simple. So his salary and his production in correlation to that salary and now his injury, he's a pretty easy target.

I always compared him to Hayward when he was in Houston but with less upside because Hayward was younger and Hayward looked fluid. Parsons doesn't look fluid at anything really. His shot is ugly his drives are slow but he makes it work so I always thought he was just below that. I thought he was better off ball and Hayward was better with it in his hands. Parsons whole value is that in a pinch he can do anything you need. Despite ppl wanting him to rebound more he rebounds fine at a little more than 5 a game, same as a guy like Ariza. He is an average defender although right now he is a step below that with his injury. His versatility is his best asset which is why he fits every offense including ours. If all we want is another catch and shoot player then we will end up shooting more 3's than any NBA team because we are already pretty close. Guys like Ariza and Danny green are playing absolutely awful so I feel like we dodged a bullet there tbh as I wanted Green or Matthews before FA started.

On Aminu... I miss the guy too but he's being sensationalized a bit I think. He had a role here off the bench where he put all his effort into that role. As a starter in Portland he isn't that same player. He is still probably the best rebounding SF in the NBA but that wouldn't do us any good this season. RC has stated several times that outside of the center nobody is to crash the boards on offense. That takes away a lot of Aminu's value and we were 5th in the NBA at defensive rebounding last I checked so while he would add some it's not an area of need. His 3pt shot is vastly improved and still isn't as good as healthy Parsons is. In fact Aminu's eFG is exactly the same as this broken shot Parsons is this season. So while improved as a shooter he has only improved to the point of being as good as a broken Parsons.

---Edit---
In the spirit of being a little more thorough and to avoid a cherry picking situation I will say that Aminu has a TS% of .522 to Parsons .502 currently this season, so he's slightly better than a broken Parsons actually. ---Edit---

https://rotogrinders.com/pages/nba-a...touches-201728

I go here for fantasy type stuff for touches and stuff to see who gets the ball in their hands for value picks and such... Parsons gets the ball slightly more than catch and shoot players like Ariza. Meanwhile Hayward and other point forwards have it more than double Parsons does and some up to 4 times as much. Indicating that he is still playing mostly off ball for us. I have no lineup stats for usage and such but from watching the last few games I'd wager he gets the ball in his hands more when McGee is on the floor as he seems most comfortable when he has a roll man like he had with DH12 in houston.

But again, all things aside, the dude needs to play better period.

Last edited by Bryan_Wilson; 01-09-2016 at 08:24 AM. Reason: looked at some more stuffz.
Old 01-09-2016, 08:32 AM   #75
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonhead View Post
Thinking way ahead, I would love to snag Harrison Barnes in the summer if a situation arose in which Parsons isnt around. Hes worth the money
I have no idea what GS's cap situation going forward is like but I have to think that they would dump anyone outside of splash bros and Green to keep him if it came to it. I'm with you though, if there was any way at all to get him I'd be all over that. Unlike Parsons everything he does seems fluid to me and he kinda has breakout written all over him if he ever got the chance for more touches.

Last edited by Bryan_Wilson; 01-09-2016 at 08:34 AM.
Old 01-09-2016, 09:01 AM   #76
Thebo

Quote:
Parsons gets the ball slightly more than catch and shoot players like Ariza. Meanwhile Hayward and other point forwards have it more than double Parsons does and some up to 4 times as much. Indicating that he is still playing mostly off ball for us. I have no lineup stats for usage and such but from watching the last few games I'd wager he gets the ball in his hands more when McGee is on the floor as he seems most comfortable when he has a roll man like he had with DH12 in houston.
That's what I mean by Parsons not fitting RC system. RC needs catch and shoot small forward but Parsons isn't the type. The time Rondo spent in Dallas last season showed that. How many ball dominant players actually fare well in RC system?

Before this season begun I had high hopes that D-Will and Parsons will be handling the ball a lot. However this isn't how Mavs go by. I think Parsons would fare a lot better in a system that Bulls run - at least the games I've seen.

I don't think anyone has problems with his salary also. It is just the next thing to pick about him. People are having problems with his attitude. If he was hustling in every play and defending well, people would nag less about his poor shooting. Matthews didn't get much hate when he was shooting poorly because he was giving his all on defense.

Problem I have with Parsons, is that I saw him performing really well defensively last season. But all these moments were in 4th quarter. He gives his all 'when it matters most' and this season he doesn't even get to play during those times.
Old 01-09-2016, 09:50 AM   #77
AO41
Platinum Member

AO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud of

I think Aminu fits much better with this team and I think he would be producing even better numbers with this team and RC. We should hvae kept him anyway if it was possible.

I wouldn't mind trading Parson for Aminu and if they have someone they want to get rid of....but I don't see them doing that.

Quote:
The guy has to play better, a lot better I want to stress that before I follow it up.

I don't know about others but I defend the guy because he's always trashed on. Last year he wasn't awful at all and had to adjust a lot and still found a way to be productive, that's where his value is. He's not a star player, ppl really need to get over his salary... It's been said so many times it's nauseating, but he's only paid like he is because of restricted free agency and the timing of this spike in salary cap. He's not going to produce like a guy being paid 15m used to produce. He doesn't have one single elite skill, therefore he will never be a star, it's rly pretty simple. So his salary and his production in correlation to that salary and now his injury, he's a pretty easy target.

I always compared him to Hayward when he was in Houston but with less upside because Hayward was younger and Hayward looked fluid. Parsons doesn't look fluid at anything really. His shot is ugly his drives are slow but he makes it work so I always thought he was just below that. I thought he was better off ball and Hayward was better with it in his hands. Parsons whole value is that in a pinch he can do anything you need. Despite ppl wanting him to rebound more he rebounds fine at a little more than 5 a game, same as a guy like Ariza. He is an average defender although right now he is a step below that with his injury. His versatility is his best asset which is why he fits every offense including ours. If all we want is another catch and shoot player then we will end up shooting more 3's than any NBA team because we are already pretty close. Guys like Ariza and Danny green are playing absolutely awful so I feel like we dodged a bullet there tbh as I wanted Green or Matthews before FA started.

On Aminu... I miss the guy too but he's being sensationalized a bit I think. He had a role here off the bench where he put all his effort into that role. As a starter in Portland he isn't that same player. He is still probably the best rebounding SF in the NBA but that wouldn't do us any good this season. RC has stated several times that outside of the center nobody is to crash the boards on offense. That takes away a lot of Aminu's value and we were 5th in the NBA at defensive rebounding last I checked so while he would add some it's not an area of need. His 3pt shot is vastly improved and still isn't as good as healthy Parsons is. In fact Aminu's eFG is exactly the same as this broken shot Parsons is this season. So while improved as a shooter he has only improved to the point of being as good as a broken Parsons.

---Edit---
In the spirit of being a little more thorough and to avoid a cherry picking situation I will say that Aminu has a TS% of .522 to Parsons .502 currently this season, so he's slightly better than a broken Parsons actually. ---Edit---

https://rotogrinders.com/pages/nba-a...touches-201728

I go here for fantasy type stuff for touches and stuff to see who gets the ball in their hands for value picks and such... Parsons gets the ball slightly more than catch and shoot players like Ariza. Meanwhile Hayward and other point forwards have it more than double Parsons does and some up to 4 times as much. Indicating that he is still playing mostly off ball for us. I have no lineup stats for usage and such but from watching the last few games I'd wager he gets the ball in his hands more when McGee is on the floor as he seems most comfortable when he has a roll man like he had with DH12 in houston.

But again, all things aside, the dude needs to play better period.
Old 01-09-2016, 04:35 PM   #78
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AO41 View Post
I think Aminu fits much better with this team and I think he would be producing even better numbers with this team and RC. We should hvae kept him anyway if it was possible.

I wouldn't mind trading Parson for Aminu and if they have someone they want to get rid of....but I don't see them doing that.
Probably sound like a broken record but Mavs should make these 2 trades:

Trade 1: Parsons/Mejri for Noah/McDermott
Trade 2: Felton/Evans for Aminu

DWill/Barea
Matthews/Harris/Jenkins
Aminu/McDermott/Anderson
Dirk/Powell/CV
Zaza/Noah/McGee

We get tremendously better at defense and rebounding with plenty of offensive fire power.

Last edited by rimrocker; 01-09-2016 at 04:38 PM.
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 04:52 PM   #79
Thebo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimrocker View Post
Probably sound like a broken record but Mavs should make these 2 trades:

Trade 1: Parsons/Mejri for Noah/McDermott
Trade 2: Felton/Evans for Aminu

DWill/Barea
Matthews/Harris/Jenkins
Aminu/McDermott/Anderson
Dirk/Powell/CV
Zaza/Noah/McGee

We get tremendously better at defense and rebounding with plenty of offensive fire power.
In this case, why not to trade Parsons for Durant? Unless you can actually make a good argument why Portland would ever consider taking in Felton and Evans, who is even 1 year older than Parsons, and give up Aminu who can still develop.
Old 01-09-2016, 05:54 PM   #80
AO41
Platinum Member

We should have never give up on Aminu because he fits so well. I know the $$ was not there but man he would look good with this squad and get plenty of easy baskets with great D.