Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 03-23-2016, 01:26 PM   #1
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute
Default GDT: Mavs @ Blazers 03/23/16 - 9:00pm CT

The Dallas Mavericks turned in one of their top performances to slow a miserable stretch and can sweep a home-and-home set that holds heavy playoff implications for an encore.

Another win over the Portland Trail Blazers on Wednesday night would do wonders for the visiting Mavericks' postseason outlook while tightening the race for the Western Conference's final three spots -- and lessening the blow of a key injury.

Dallas (35-35) seemed comfortably in playoff position to start March but entered Sunday's home contest against the Trail Blazers (36-35) mired in a 1-7 slump.

A dominant overtime period provided the Mavericks some relief as they pulled away for a 132-120 win to inch closer to sixth-seeded Portland. They also gained a tiebreaker by winning the first two of the three-game series while leaving the teams in the West's Nos. 6-9 spots -- including Houston and Utah -- separated by 1 1/2 games.

Dallas avoided its third straight loss thanks to season-best performances from Dirk Nowitzki and Deron Williams. Nowitzki turned back the clock with 40 points and Williams had 31 with 16 assists, all season highs.

Williams drained a tiebreaking 3-pointer in overtime before eight straight points from Nowitzki, all off passes from the point guard.

Nowitzki made 16 of 26 shots for his 20th career 40-point game and first since Jan. 11, 2014. It was the NBA's first by a 37-year-old since Karl Malone in 2000-01. Nowitzki has averaged 26.8 points while shooting 54.4 percent in eight consecutive 20-point performances.

Williams logged his first 30-point game since Dec. 1 -- also against the Trail Blazers -- and first 15-assist game since Feb. 20, 2015. It was just his second career performance reaching both of those numbers and the first for a Maverick since Jason Kidd in 1996.

The two starters stepped up with Chandler Parsons out, but so did little-used rookie Salah Mejri off the bench. He posted 13 points with 14 rebounds and six blocks in nearly 33 minutes. He logged just over 198 minutes in his first 23 games.

"Everything's in play," coach Rick Carlisle said. "We're a team that needs all of our pieces."

Even moreso after Tuesday's news that Parsons will likely undergo season-ending arthroscopic surgery for a meniscus tear in his right knee. Parsons, who averaged 18.9 points in his last 27 games, will not make Dallas' four-game road trip, though Carlisle declined to discuss the specifics.

Parsons is expected to seek a second opinion.

Dallas is opening a stretch with eight of 12 games away from home to close the season. The Mavericks are 15-18 on the road, losing seven of their last 10.

Portland, meanwhile, lost seven of eight road games during a 3-7 funk but plays eight of its final 11 at home, where it is riding a 13-3 stretch.

The Trail Blazers have cooled since an 18-4 spurt from Jan. 10-March 1. Damian Lillard had a chance to give Portland its first win streak since then with a good look at a 3-pointer at the regulation buzzer in Dallas, but it bounced off the front rim.

Lillard finished with 26 points but needed 26 shots to get there, making only eight.

"I shot a shot that I'm really comfortable shooting and it just didn't go in," Lillard said. "I was kind of disappointed I couldn't end the game right there."

The Mavericks also earned a 115-112 overtime victory in Portland on Dec. 1, their third straight victory in this series. Williams finished with 30 points, eight assists and six rebounds while Nowitzki added 28, six and seven.

Lillard had 25, 10 and eight.

http://espn.go.com/nba/preview?gameId=400828954

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-2016, 01:28 PM   #2
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

@espn_macmahon: Salah Mejri will get the start at center for the Mavs tonight in Portland coming off his 13-point, 14-rebound, six-block performance in Sunday's win over the Trail Blazers. "I've been working all season to get this opportunity," said Mejri, who had played a total of 12 minutes in March before Sunday. "For sure, I am ready. How I'll play, I don't know. You never know. I've been preparing myself. I'm ready. I will try to do my best. Maybe I will not have the same game I had last game, but for sure, I will try to do the same things."

Mejri, who was plus-30 in 33 minutes Sunday, expressed great confidence in his ability after that outing but added, "I need the coach's confidence." Is Rick Carlisle confident in the 29-year-old Tunisian rookie? The coach's answer: "When he plays within himself, within our system, he's a guy who can help us."

Last edited by Underdog; 03-23-2016 at 01:29 PM.
Old 03-23-2016, 01:29 PM   #3
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

TMAC reporting Salah getting the start tonight.

Edit: underdog with the quick draw

Last edited by Melonhead; 03-23-2016 at 01:29 PM.
Melonhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 01:37 PM   #4
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

Our secret weapon won't be a secret tonight but hopefully Salah will put up those numbers (or better) anyway.
We really need to fight for that 6th spot because I think we can hang with OKC and Salah has had some really good games against them.

Hopefully JA will get some good burn tonight too and not lay an egg like he did the last game.
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 01:41 PM   #5
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Watch Anderson be the big hero tonight and Salah not play that great.

Good for Salah, but it isn't like the team has any choice. We woulda lost big without him last game. It would be wonderful if he is the starting center from here out and elevates himself to a regular rotation player.

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 02:25 PM   #6
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
Watch Anderson be the big hero tonight and Salah not play that great.

Good for Salah, but it isn't like the team has any choice. We woulda lost big without him last game. It would be wonderful if he is the starting center from here out and elevates himself to a regular rotation player.
That's what I'd like to see from Mejri, Anderson and Powell the rest of the season....play good enough to get opportunities next season.
In other words play well enough to keep us from signing and overpaying washed up vets to play positions/roles those three should be filling.

Last edited by rimrocker; 03-23-2016 at 02:27 PM.
Old 03-23-2016, 02:42 PM   #7
CGM
Golden Member

CGM has a brilliant futureCGM has a brilliant futureCGM has a brilliant futureCGM has a brilliant futureCGM has a brilliant futureCGM has a brilliant futureCGM has a brilliant futureCGM has a brilliant futureCGM has a brilliant futureCGM has a brilliant futureCGM has a brilliant future

The Mavs climb from seventh to sixth in the West tonight thanks to a Mejri The Mejriant 15 point/15 rebound/5 block game... Dirk continues to play like a 37 year old superstar at a 27 year old level, and he will score the last-second, game-winning basket... however, Lil'lard will try to be the hero he was not on Sunday by forcing his offense, but he will fail miserably, so his Tail-Blaze lose....

Mavs - 116
Tail-Blaze - 114

Old 03-23-2016, 03:43 PM   #8
nikeball
Platinum Member

nikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond repute

Blazers look for answers in slowing Dirk Nowitzki, but feel they have already tried everything
Old 03-23-2016, 04:17 PM   #9
Underdog

@DimeMag: The Dallas #Mavericks have essentially dedicated this season to Dirk Nowitzki

Old 03-23-2016, 04:39 PM   #10
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 04:49 PM   #11
DGM
Banned

DGM is just really niceDGM is just really niceDGM is just really niceDGM is just really niceDGM is just really niceDGM is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimrocker View Post
That's what I'd like to see from Mejri, Anderson and Powell the rest of the season....play good enough to get opportunities next season.
In other words play well enough to keep us from signing and overpaying washed up vets to play positions/roles those three should be filling.
Interesting article

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/pos...-young-players
DGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 05:20 PM   #12
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Stuck in CT for this one other than the usual PT. Don't know how you guys don't fall asleep during the game.
Old 03-23-2016, 05:23 PM   #13
Melonhead
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGM View Post
Can we CC: Coach Carlisle? Very insightful although using the spurs as the example is the outlier. But I totally agree overall.
Old 03-23-2016, 05:29 PM   #14
DGM
Banned

DGM is just really niceDGM is just really niceDGM is just really niceDGM is just really niceDGM is just really niceDGM is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonhead View Post
Stuck in CT for this one other than the usual PT. Don't know how you guys don't fall asleep during the game.
Naps.
Old 03-23-2016, 05:55 PM   #15
Underdog

@MFollowill: Dirk plays game 1,330 of his career tonight...moving past Moses Malone for 13th in NBA history in games played

Old 03-23-2016, 06:05 PM   #16
rimrocker
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGM View Post
Completely agree....RC has to find a way to integrate youth into our core. Might be too late this season but there is no reason to let guys rot on the bench when they have potential.
Thought he would have learned his lesson with Crowder and Aminu.

I think Rick is simply a game-by-game coach and will put the best possible team that he thinks can win the game. Pop seems to have a better view of the whole picture and realizes those guys with potential are actually assets and not burdens to the team. Rick is much more of a manager than a teacher imo and Pop seems to be a mixture of both.

Last edited by rimrocker; 03-23-2016 at 06:09 PM.
Old 03-23-2016, 06:20 PM   #17
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
@MFollowill: Dirk plays game 1,330 of his career tonight...moving past Moses Malone for 13th in NBA history in games played
That got me choked up. I've always known that Dirk is one of the transcendental talents, but I started watching Dirk in 98 and really noticed him in 99-00. Since then I've caught almost every game he's played including all-star appearances. It's incredible not just how good he is, but how many games he's influenced.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 07:15 PM   #18
yahyes
Banned

yahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud of

Alright it's less than a month till the playoffs start. I'd consider this a play in game. For in case of a tie. Carlisle's time to coach the team ball like last game. Same energy from Sunday. Lee at PF with the center rotation being Zaza/Mejri/Powell/McGee
yahyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 08:58 PM   #19
Underdog

@EarlKSneed: @dallasmavs starters: D-Will, Felton, Matthews, Dirk & Mejri.

@jwquick: Blazers starting Maurice Harkless at small forward and Al-Farouq Aminu at power forward against Dallas. Noah Vonleh off the bench.

Old 03-23-2016, 09:16 PM   #20
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like Salah was starring down whoever bumped him on the shoulder. Had a word or 2. Looks like he wants to dunk on someone.
BPo001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 09:17 PM   #21
TheSportyChannel
Banned

TheSportyChannel will become famous soon enoughTheSportyChannel will become famous soon enough

Mejri is Whiteside 2.0
TheSportyChannel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 09:18 PM   #22
markus1234
Platinum Member

markus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to behold

Guys, do you have a working stream ?
markus1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 09:20 PM   #23
TheSportyChannel
Banned

TheSportyChannel will become famous soon enoughTheSportyChannel will become famous soon enough

Mejri is a straight up beast. Love his hustle
Old 03-23-2016, 09:21 PM   #24
TheSportyChannel
Banned

alley oooop to Mejri from Deron
Old 03-23-2016, 09:21 PM   #25
TheSportyChannel
Banned

lol Dirk finally missed a shot
Old 03-23-2016, 09:22 PM   #26
TheSportyChannel
Banned

Mavs lead 16-15 after Wesley 3 with 5:52 remaining in the 1st. We look so much better without Parsons
Old 03-23-2016, 09:22 PM   #27
DGM
Banned

Those lobs to Mejri are easy points that are not available playing Zaza.
Old 03-23-2016, 09:23 PM   #28
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

I benched Wes in fantasy tonight, you're welcome.
Old 03-23-2016, 09:26 PM   #29
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bad things continue to happen when CV3 goes into games. Pure coincidence though.
Old 03-23-2016, 09:26 PM   #30
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

I've seen enough Charlie V. I really wish Evans wasn't hurt.
BPo001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 09:27 PM   #31
TheSportyChannel
Banned

Charlie V goes in for Dirk and the Blazers go up 3. 19-16 after 2 straight turnovers. I heard mavs can bring in another player to the team as long as we drop someone from the roster. Hope it is Charlie. He effing sucks!
Old 03-23-2016, 09:29 PM   #32
DGM
Banned

No shot blocking Blazers going to the hoop.
Old 03-23-2016, 09:30 PM   #33
TheSportyChannel
Banned

Now Charlie gives up a AND 1 to his defender.
Old 03-23-2016, 09:32 PM   #34
TheSportyChannel
Banned

Now Charlie V takes a super far 3 pointer and misses. Then he follows up by missing a wide open layup. Nothing he's doing is going right. I HATE HIM!!!
Old 03-23-2016, 09:33 PM   #35
TheSportyChannel
Banned

YAY Dirk is coming in to replace Charlie. Also Justin Anderson and JJ

Last edited by TheSportyChannel; 03-23-2016 at 09:33 PM.
Old 03-23-2016, 09:35 PM   #36
yahyes
Banned

yahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud of

JJ still wants to play, coach!

Last edited by yahyes; 03-23-2016 at 09:35 PM.
yahyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 09:37 PM   #37
TheSportyChannel
Banned

Wow great D by David Lee. Love his hustle
Old 03-23-2016, 09:38 PM   #38
TheSportyChannel
Banned

28-26 Blazers after 1 quarter.
Old 03-23-2016, 09:39 PM   #39
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSportyChannel View Post
Wow great D by David Lee. Love his hustle
2 weeks ago you called him trash and ripped Cuban for signing him. Glad you have come around though.
Old 03-23-2016, 09:39 PM   #40
DGM
Banned

Charlie was good in 15. 16 not so much.