Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 11-03-2021, 02:34 PM   #1
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of
Default Mavs vs Spurs on B2B night Start time: 7:30 p.m. CT or 8:30 p.m. ET(Season game 8)

The Mavericks are right back in action on Wednesday night as they travel to San Antonio to face the Spurs on the second night of a back-to-back. Dallas won the first meeting of the season between the two teams behind a 25-point night from Luka.

How to watch: Bally Sports Southwest- Dallas (Mavs local market), Bally Sports Southwest- San Antonio (Spurs local market)

Watch online: NBA League Pass

The Mavs will be without Maxi Kleber on Wednesday night as he is dealing with an oblique injury. Coach Jason Kidd offered a positive update on Kristaps Porzingis heading into Tuesday’s game, but Dallas did not release an official injury report.
Dallas41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-2021, 02:38 PM   #2
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

Brunson - backup ball handler or starting scorer?
Whether or not Porzingis is playing will of course have huge implications here, but it’s also worth noting the recent move Kidd has made to his starting lineup. With Porzingis out, he pivoted away from the two-big lineup Dallas was running with in the opening games. Instead, Powell was the lone big, opening up a spot for Brunson to start.

Many may have thought Reggie Bullock would’ve been the obvious addition to the starting five based on his starting role for the Knicks, but Brunson has been on an absolute tear early this season. His play coming off the bench was the spark that led to wins against the Rockets and Spurs, and he played probably his best game of the season as a starter last night against the Heat.

After failing to add a secondary ball handler in the offseason, there was some level of hope that Jalen Brunson would end up being that player. It’s certainly a role he’s been tasked with before. However, with the Mavs in need of some offensive punch, there’s evidence that the best way to bolster that end of the floor is to played Brunson with Luka as opposed to used Jalen to hold down the fort while Doncic sits.
Old 11-03-2021, 03:51 PM   #3
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm wondering if Jalen starting was to put pressure on Lowry to defend and have someone to chase him around. After last night, I think he deserves another shot next to Luka. Jalen being in the S5 is easier to handle because of the emergence of Frankie. He has proven to be a trustworthy back up PG or SG.

At this point I was wrong about Bullock being a starter, it's still early but I didn't think it would take too long before he replaced DFS in the S5. But it's clear that DFS has a looooooooong leash. Neither of them can dribble but for me the guy who is shooting better from the perimeter would be who I started. With 2 distributors on the court, you can't waste opportunities having guys tossing up open bricks. Both missed some timely wide open 3's last night.

Hopefully KP can play tonight.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY

Last edited by SMC0007; 11-03-2021 at 03:52 PM.
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 04:48 PM   #4
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

I will be first row behind the Mavs bench in a Slovenia jersey — let me know if you spot me.
Old 11-03-2021, 05:20 PM   #5
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
I'm wondering if Jalen starting was to put pressure on Lowry to defend and have someone to chase him around. After last night, I think he deserves another shot next to Luka. Jalen being in the S5 is easier to handle because of the emergence of Frankie. He has proven to be a trustworthy back up PG or SG.

At this point I was wrong about Bullock being a starter, it's still early but I didn't think it would take too long before he replaced DFS in the S5. But it's clear that DFS has a looooooooong leash. Neither of them can dribble but for me the guy who is shooting better from the perimeter would be who I started. With 2 distributors on the court, you can't waste opportunities having guys tossing up open bricks. Both missed some timely wide open 3's last night.

Hopefully KP can play tonight.
I mentioned in last night thread that moving forward they should start Luka, Brunson, DFS, Kleber and KP

THJ needs to go back to being the 6th man and Frank can be the backup PG now
Old 11-03-2021, 05:55 PM   #6
turin
Diamond Member

turin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant future

I honestly wouldn't mind Frankie starting with Luka and having both JB and THJ come in with 2nd team, but our bigs are a trainwreck.

Anybody other than DP or WCS can start as far as I'm concerned.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
turin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 06:06 PM   #7
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turin View Post
I honestly wouldn't mind Frankie starting with Luka and having both JB and THJ come in with 2nd team, but our bigs are a trainwreck.

Anybody other than DP or WCS can start as far as I'm concerned.

Yeah Powell and WCS have both been weak links this year.

But I think WCS has the ability to to play better in limited minutes and he's shown in the past he can be at least a good defender.

Powell on the other hand simply needs to be used like an emergency energy player only.

Dude has no lift at all anymore which was the biggest part of his game as a rim runner.
Old 11-03-2021, 06:41 PM   #8
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

KP out.
BPo001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 07:31 PM   #9
turin
Diamond Member

turin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas41 View Post
Yeah Powell and WCS have both been weak links this year.

But I think WCS has the ability to to play better in limited minutes and he's shown in the past he can be at least a good defender.

Powell on the other hand simply needs to be used like an emergency energy player only.

Dude has no lift at all anymore which was the biggest part of his game as a rim runner.
I'm done with WCS. He is not going to improve, and he's not a solid piece for a successful future team. We've got a roster full of inconsistent 1 trick ponies. Give his minutes to Brown, and let's see what he can develop into by the end of the year.

WCS needs to be gone along with with everybody else not named Luka. Yes, I'd even trade Brunson. He's a smaller guard, so use his current hot play to see if you can get some more suitable talent for him; otherwise, he'll leave and the Mavs won't get zip for him. No way he stays here and plays in this shit show when he can go elsewhere for more money and a better situation. Somebody might even offer him a shot as a starter, and he's not a good defensive fit starting with Luka, and he certainly won't be beating out Luka here.

Last edited by turin; 11-03-2021 at 08:00 PM.
Old 11-03-2021, 07:35 PM   #10
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPo001 View Post
KP out.

God I hate this situation so much.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 07:49 PM   #11
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I mentioned in last night thread that moving forward they should start Luka, Brunson, DFS, Kleber and KP

THJ needs to go back to being the 6th man and Frank can be the backup PG now
I like this, if Frank and thj can handle the back up ball handling and playmaking duties for a few minutes at a time. Luka and Brunson can be staggered with the substitution patterns. Brunson is definitely earning the same amount of minutes as thj.
FreshJive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 07:52 PM   #12
turin
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshJive View Post
I like this, if Frank and thj can handle the back up ball handling and playmaking duties for a few minutes at a time. Luka and Brunson can be staggered with the substitution patterns. Brunson is definitely earning the same amount of minutes as thj.
Luka and Brunson starting together are not a successful playoff duo imo due to defensive issues. Frank is better with Luka imo, so I'd be looking to trade Brunson in a package for another non-guard starter.

Last edited by turin; 11-03-2021 at 07:55 PM.
Old 11-03-2021, 08:02 PM   #13
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Luka and Brunson starting together are not a successful playoff duo imo due to defensive issues. Frank is better with Luka imo, so I'd be looking to trade Brunson in a package for another non-guard starter.

Brunson is the only player on the team that can help Luka with shot creation and playmaking. They can’t get rid of him without getting another one like him.
Old 11-03-2021, 08:10 PM   #14
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap2390 View Post
I will be first row behind the Mavs bench in a Slovenia jersey — let me know if you spot me.
If it’s white I see ya
Old 11-03-2021, 08:15 PM   #15
turin
Diamond Member

Quote:
Brunson is the only player on the team that can help Luka with shot creation and playmaking. They can’t get rid of him without getting another one like him.
Sure they can. Brunson is a regular season player. We need to sell high on somebody, and he's the best we've got. Guards his size are on every roster practically. If we don't trade him, we'll lose him and get nothing in return. Mark my words.

Last edited by turin; 11-03-2021 at 08:16 PM.
Old 11-03-2021, 08:30 PM   #16
FreshJive
Diamond Member

Quote:
Sure they can. Brunson is a regular season player. We need to sell high on somebody, and he's the best we've got. Guards his size are on every roster practically. If we don't trade him, we'll lose him and get nothing in return. Mark my words.

We have no idea what Brunson’s ceiling is. He has improved dramatically every season. “Regular season player” is not a real thing and “guards his size” is not a useful comparison.

I agree that he may be the only thing they have to sell, but they didn’t get Luka any ball handling help this offseason, so they would need to address that if they lose Brunson.
Old 11-03-2021, 08:36 PM   #17
Scoobay
Golden Member

Scoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant future

If none of our other 3 and d guys are going to hit their threes then we should play josh more. Dfs has sucked donkeys from 3 this year.
Scoobay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 08:42 PM   #18
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Luka at some point has to be more conservative with his passes.

The highlight reel pass is great at times when your up comfortably
Old 11-03-2021, 08:43 PM   #19
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

I think we’ll see in the next few weeks the defense rankings go down.
Old 11-03-2021, 09:10 PM   #20
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonhead View Post
I think we’ll see in the next few weeks the defense rankings go down.
Depends if we can get both KP and Kleber back healthy playing together the rim protection would be much better.

But that is a big if of course them staying healthy
Old 11-03-2021, 09:14 PM   #21
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Starting to really think Sterling Brown is going to be another poor FA addition
Old 11-03-2021, 09:22 PM   #22
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Quote:
We have no idea what Brunson’s ceiling is. He has improved dramatically every season. “Regular season player” is not a real thing and “guards his size” is not a useful comparison.

I agree that he may be the only thing they have to sell, but they didn’t get Luka any ball handling help this offseason, so they would need to address that if they lose Brunson.
I think we've seen this Brunson every year in the regular season as you mentioned

The key is getting him to produce in the playoffs when teams game plan or throw defenders with length on him.

The problem is that question can't be answered until the playoffs which means if he comes up short again than we are screwed LOL
Old 11-03-2021, 09:33 PM   #23
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Its not a foregone conclusion that Brunson will be ineffective in the playoffs. I think the Clips had really good long wings that can sag and help and it caused problems for him, as well as everyone else not named Luka.

That said, I don't mind if he's traded. When you got a young guy who could start elsewhere but is fringe here, you have to consider it a good option. Especially when you're about to have to lock him up or lose him. There is the chance that we have yet another guy who is overpaid and is not a big difference maker.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY

Last edited by SMC0007; 11-03-2021 at 09:34 PM.
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 09:43 PM   #24
Scoobay
Golden Member

Scoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant future

damn s brown's shot looks so broke...
Old 11-03-2021, 09:47 PM   #25
Scoobay
Golden Member

Brunson taking over down the stretch...
Old 11-03-2021, 09:50 PM   #26
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Powell with the great hands LOL
Old 11-03-2021, 09:50 PM   #27
Scoobay
Golden Member

Quote:
Powell with the great hands LOL
stone...
Old 11-03-2021, 09:50 PM   #28
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Brunson has been our second best player and it's not even close.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 09:51 PM   #29
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Should go back to Boban
Old 11-03-2021, 09:51 PM   #30
Scoobay
Golden Member

powell has played some decent defense - murray hasn't been able to do shit on him when he switches
Old 11-03-2021, 09:54 PM   #31
Scoobay
Golden Member

that was as shitty an inbounds "play" as i've ever seen with 5 seconds on the clock. seriously that's the best we could do is a luka half court shot?
Old 11-03-2021, 09:56 PM   #32
Scoobay
Golden Member

will credit powell with the hustle play to get the offensive rebound and a clutch shot by JB.
Old 11-03-2021, 10:05 PM   #33
Scoobay
Golden Member

that was a lousy intentional miss
Old 11-03-2021, 10:07 PM   #34
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Whew win

Yet another game where Luka is team worst in +/-
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 10:08 PM   #35
Dallas41
Diamond Member

I'm just glad we got out of there with a Win

That missed Ft was scary

Last edited by Dallas41; 11-03-2021 at 10:09 PM.
Old 11-03-2021, 10:12 PM   #36
Budapest Maverick
Platinum Member

Budapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant future

We are very mediocre until we start hitting our threes at a 36-37% rate.
Budapest Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 10:26 PM   #37
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Tim had a better game, but he has been subpar all season. Derozan would have changed everything.

Still, a win is a win. Brunson better get paid or at least trade him for a big upgrade.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 11:12 PM   #38
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budapest Maverick View Post
We are very mediocre until we start hitting our threes at a 36-37% rate.
yeah and to think this team at one time used to house the likes of S.Curry and D.McDermott
Old 11-03-2021, 11:32 PM   #39
Melonhead
Guru

Love watching nba tv highlights before calling it a night...

so many electrifying players in the league in almost every city but dallas
Old 11-03-2021, 11:38 PM   #40
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonhead View Post
If it’s white I see ya
‘Twas I, tap2390. Don’t stalk me now.