Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

View Poll Results: What will the result of the game be?
Mavs win by 20+ 0 0%
Mavs win by 10-19 0 0%
Mavs win by 1-9 0 0%
Mavs lose by 1-9 0 0%
Mavs lose by 10-19 1 50.00%
Mavs lose by 20+ 1 50.00%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-01-2021, 11:33 AM   #1
saclare
Platinum Member

saclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant future
Default GDT (#20): Mavs (10-9) @ Pelican'ts (6-17) 7:00 PM CST

Let's try to get something rolling. Need a bounce back win in a big way.

Frankie (calf strain) and Willie (personal reasons) out for the Mavs. KP is questionable (ankle sprain).

Zion out (fat). Josh Hart questionable (knee).

Mavs only 1-4 in their last 5 games. Pelicans 3-2 with a solid wins vs. Wizards, Jazz, and Clippers.

Would love to see a prime time Luka Doncic game here tonight. Set the tone for a turnaround, while not giving the FO the feeling the team is set, but rather add to the roster (which we all know they need to).

LET'S GO MAVS
saclare is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-2021, 11:37 AM   #2
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default GDT: Mavs (10-9) at Pelicans (6-17) 7:00pm

Pelicans used to be an easy win, starting the season 1-12, but have won 3 of their last 4. Jonas Valanciunas has been absolutely dominant averaging 20-12-2 on 54% shooting from three in November. He's shooting 51% overall and is currently first in the league in 3pt shooting.

In the meantime, Mavs have won only 1 of the last 6 games (1-5) and are struggling as the worst team in the league (as measured in NETRTG) over the last few weeks.

Injury report
KP - ankle roll - questionable
WCS - personal - out
Frank - calf - out

Hart - knee - questionable
Zion - foot - out
Louzada - out
Hommes - out

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 12-01-2021 at 12:11 PM.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 12:28 PM   #3
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

I predict a thromping. I'm not even sure that's a word but I feel like spirits are down and this will be the result. We have no veteran leaders to lift the guys and force accountability amongst themselves. Luka has no help aside from KP and he is questionable. Jonas is gonna blast us and the question is....what random guy has a career night against us.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 01:11 PM   #4
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

538 gave us an 80% chance of winning against the Cavs.

They have us dead even against the Pels
Old 12-01-2021, 01:48 PM   #5
saclare
Platinum Member

saclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant future

KP upgraded to probable
Old 12-01-2021, 03:34 PM   #6
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

Found this article to be interesting topic regarding the core roster we've have for a few years now and this core isn't getting any younger

https://www.mavsmoneyball.com/2021/1...llas-mavericks

Watching the Mavericks get detonated in the third quarter against a scrappy but talented Cleveland Cavaliers team, I had one question run through my mind, over and over again.

“How long can the Mavericks do this?”

We’re in season three of this Mavericks core and to show for it is two decently fun regular seasons, two first round losses and a pretty mediocre start to the third season. We’ve watched this Luka Doncic, Kristaps Porzingis, Tim Hardaway Jr. and Dorian Finney-Smith core play a ton of games — those four have been pillars of the starting lineup since 2019.

This roster — what is the vision? Where is this Mavericks team going? Hardaway is 29, Maxi Kleber is 29, Reggie Bullock is 30, Dwight Powell is 30, Finney-Smith is 28. The team owes one more first round pick to the Knicks in 2023, the 2020 draft returned zero useful pieces and Jalen Brunson is the only young player that feels like he could fetch anything worthwhile in a trade, yet he’s also one of the most important players on the team and feels indispensable. The Mavericks have struck out on their last three major offseason acquisitions — what if they miss on dealing Brunson? It’s hard to think about where this Mavericks team would be without Brunson.

Last edited by Dallas41; 12-01-2021 at 03:35 PM.
Dallas41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 07:41 PM   #7
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

THJ to the bench. Bullock to the starting lineup. Hopefully this helps Bullock find a rhythm early and actually make a shot.
BPo001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 08:06 PM   #8
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Luka - Starter
Kp - Starter

THJ - 6th man
DFS -bench
Brunson - Bench
Etc.

We have 2 playoff caliber starters on our team. If Luka plays out of his mind, then we look like a first round exit but a tough outing for contenders. If Luka is normal, we might miss the playoffs.

Resigning THJ was a meat whistle move. Idk what even that means but it was stupid. It was what I feared and hopefully the FO unfvcks this roster by the trade deadline...but I doubt it because....assets

Old 12-01-2021, 08:10 PM   #9
turin
Diamond Member

turin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant future

I think it'll be fairly close, but the Mavs will end up going Luka iso to close and have a hard time scoring in the last 3-5 minutes and lose by 6.
turin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 08:13 PM   #10
turin
Diamond Member

turin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
Resigning THJ was a meat whistle move. Idk what even that means but it was stupid.
I absolutely hated resigning him. This season is a real bummer. I can't remember the last time I was less motivated to watch the Mavs play, and I still feel as sorry for Luka as one can for a guy who signed a $200m contract.

Fortunately, he's still young, so after collecting serious bank, he'll still be young when he relocates to a competent franchise. :-/
Old 12-01-2021, 08:28 PM   #11
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by turin View Post
I absolutely hated resigning him. This season is a real bummer. I can't remember the last time I was less motivated to watch the Mavs play, and I still feel as sorry for Luka as one can for a guy who signed a $200m contract.

Fortunately, he's still young, so after collecting serious bank, he'll still be young when he relocates to a competent franchise. :-/
Yea man. THJ even for 16 mil that he was making wouldnt have been a good move because we had other needs. Like a damn basketball player...creator/scorer. But we now have a 20 million dollar streaky bench guy who is yet to actually streak. More of a skid mark.

Old 12-01-2021, 08:45 PM   #12
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Yea man. THJ even for 16 mil that he was making wouldnt have been a good move because we had other needs. Like a damn basketball player...creator/scorer. But we now have a 20 million dollar streaky bench guy who is yet to actually streak. More of a skid mark.
I'm not sure how much D.Graham makes but man he has to be much cheaper than THJ and shoots just as good LOL
Old 12-01-2021, 09:01 PM   #13
Dallas41
Diamond Member

anyone else think this benching will light a fire under THJ like it's done in years past when they've moved him to the bench?
Old 12-01-2021, 09:05 PM   #14
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas41 View Post
I'm not sure how much D.Graham makes but man he has to be much cheaper than THJ and shoots just as good LOL
Ya. Hell Caruso is on a silly deal. He would be better here. He'll, make that move and then some instead of THJ.

Idk, Nico needs to unfuck this roster by deadline. Sooner the better.

Side note. I can't stand Harp. For several reasons, but He praises THJ as if everyone tuning in has never hears of him...or seen him for the last 3 years.

Last edited by SMC0007; 12-01-2021 at 09:05 PM.
Old 12-01-2021, 09:07 PM   #15
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
anyone else think this benching will light a fire under THJ like it's done in years past when they've moved him to the bench?
I couldn't care less. If him playing well means there's even less chance we move him in a package thrn I hope not.

Old 12-01-2021, 09:14 PM   #16
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

I could really care less at this point that THJ is making 20 million as long as the team benches his ass for poor play.

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 09:23 PM   #17
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Powell throws a bad pass then proceeds to get outworked for the defensive rebound on the other end
Old 12-01-2021, 09:30 PM   #18
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
When it became clear Mavs weren’t getting anyone this off-season, I said devonte would be a great pickup. But he looks ridiculously good tonight
Old 12-01-2021, 09:31 PM   #19
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Powell throws a bad pass then proceeds to get outworked for the defensive rebound on the other end
He's still playing better than THJ lol.

Old 12-01-2021, 09:36 PM   #20
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Hardaway deep 3 lol

I think of all people see what Hardaway can fetch on the market. He’s really the only asset we could get something decent back.
Old 12-01-2021, 09:48 PM   #21
Melonhead
Guru

Cleveland on the road just blew out Miami
Old 12-01-2021, 09:57 PM   #22
Melonhead
Guru

IS THAT A JOSH GREEN SIGHTING
Old 12-01-2021, 09:57 PM   #23
Dallas41
Diamond Member

I knew this would light a fire under Timmy

He always does this when they bench him. It makes him focus better
Old 12-01-2021, 10:11 PM   #24
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonhead View Post
Hardaway deep 3 lol

I think of all people see what Hardaway can fetch on the market. He’s really the only asset we could get something decent back.
Watch he's going to go on some hot shooting streak for about 6-8 games which will trick them into putting him back in the starting lineup LOL

It has happened several times in his Dallas career where he plays up to par after being demoted
Old 12-01-2021, 10:11 PM   #25
Melonhead
Guru

Mavs couldn’t hold the 69% fg to end the game. Finished 68.7%

Still nice.
Old 12-01-2021, 10:11 PM   #26
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

We just broke the record for shooting percentage in a game. Guess they got the message...

Old 12-01-2021, 10:41 PM   #27
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Still nice.
Timmy was 6/9
FreshJive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 11:39 PM   #28
saclare
Platinum Member

Quote:

Still nice.
Round up bby
Old 12-01-2021, 11:41 PM   #29
SMC0007
Guru

Good for Tim... I'd wish him all the luck in another city.

We are what we are.

Old 12-02-2021, 12:05 AM   #30
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Good for Tim... I'd wish him all the luck in another city.

We are what we are.
Hey, he played well in front of the only other team that wanted him. I smell THJ for Jonas on the horizon!

Old 12-02-2021, 10:26 AM   #31
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Cleveland on the road just blew out Miami
Miami is screwed. They were down Jimmy Butler, Bam Adamayo, and Tyler Herro. That's like their defensive anchors and half their points.
Old 12-02-2021, 10:26 AM   #32
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
Hey, he played well in front of the only other team that wanted him. I smell THJ for Jonas on the horizon!
I thought Jonas signed his contract so late that he can't be traded until the offseason?

Also his price went up from bargain bin to 2-4 FRPs with that 50% shooting from three and 20-10-2 statline.
Old 12-02-2021, 10:31 AM   #33
turin
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshJive View Post
Timmy was 6/9
THJ is a one trick pony whose trick is good about 2 out of every 7 games. He's worse in my mind than Messley Mathews was.

The Mavs are not worth watching so long as THJ and Powell are on the roster and DFS is starting.

I would clean house and churn every non-Luka/KP player. This way if the replacements are equally bad, Cuban won't be as likely to hang onto them.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited by turin; 12-02-2021 at 10:33 AM.
Old 12-02-2021, 10:43 AM   #34
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

To me, Josh Green is a guy who would benefit hugely from starting alongside Luka, even if he only gets 15-20 mpg. He needs to play next to a ball-dominant player so his role is limited to defense, running the break, and cutting. We don’t even need him to shoot 3s. Just play the Matisse Thybulle role for us. I also think the consistency as a starter will help him grow. Sometimes you just got to give young guys a vote of confidence.
Old 12-02-2021, 11:02 AM   #35
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
I thought Jonas signed his contract so late that he can't be traded until the offseason?

Also his price went up from bargain bin to 2-4 FRPs with that 50% shooting from three and 20-10-2 statline.
One can dream...

Old 12-02-2021, 11:27 AM   #36
saclare
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turin View Post
THJ is a one trick pony whose trick is good about 2 out of every 7 games. He's worse in my mind than Messley Mathews was.

The Mavs are not worth watching so long as THJ and Powell are on the roster and DFS is starting.

I would clean house and churn every non-Luka/KP player. This way if the replacements are equally bad, Cuban won't be as likely to hang onto them.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Hmmm that's actually a good debate, who was or has been better for the Mavs, Mathews or THJ? I think it will lean to the former, but closer than one would think. I don't have a solid answer right out.
Old 12-02-2021, 11:34 AM   #37
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

No, Wes Matthews thought he was a great ball handler and could play like prime Jordan whenever he felt like it. I don't get that vibe from THJ. He clanks a bunch of shots, but Wes would force the issue big time with clanking shots.

In fact, you could argue that is THJ's biggest weakness in a way. If he isn't hitting a three, then I forget he is even on the court. He just isn't a high impact, high energy kind of guy.

Last edited by DevinHarriswillstart; 12-02-2021 at 11:35 AM.
Old 12-02-2021, 12:50 PM   #38
saclare
Platinum Member

True, I dunno though, Mathews was a better defender though less of what we thought we were getting. He also had that outward passion and energy, so maybe they're just different versions of the same mercurial shooters.

Also, looks like I have to do the next GDT.

WE'RE GOING STREAKING
Old 12-02-2021, 01:13 PM   #39
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saclare View Post
True, I dunno though, Mathews was a better defender though less of what we thought we were getting. He also had that outward passion and energy, so maybe they're just different versions of the same mercurial shooters.

Also, looks like I have to do the next GDT.

WE'RE GOING STREAKING
Today you start the Apelicalypse
Old 12-02-2021, 01:15 PM   #40
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
No, Wes Matthews thought he was a great ball handler and could play like prime Jordan whenever he felt like it. I don't get that vibe from THJ. He clanks a bunch of shots, but Wes would force the issue big time with clanking shots.

In fact, you could argue that is THJ's biggest weakness in a way. If he isn't hitting a three, then I forget he is even on the court. He just isn't a high impact, high energy kind of guy.
This is the worst ret-con of Wes Matthews I've ever heard. Every GDT was posters complaining about how he couldn't even drive the ball--which is, to be fair my complaint with THJ. Every thread was complaining that he was only capable of 3/D and his defense was overrated while his 3 was highly streaky.