Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 01-02-2015, 02:03 PM   #481
Kante
Diamond Member

Kante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond repute

Just found it.

Quote:
The Mavericks point guard spoke candidly on Friday about his return to Boston one month after his trade. When asked about the impact his defense has had on his new team, Rondo shot straight from the hip.

“I haven’t played defense in a couple of years. I’ve been able to hide it a lot with Avery Bradley on the ball,” Rondo told reporters ahead of his first visit to Boston as a visitor.

“But here, they expect me to play defense,” he said. “And in the West, if you don’t play defense, you’ll get embarrassed every night at the point guard position.“

Rondo’s steals numbers (1.7 per game) haven’t changed in the six games he’s played for the Mavericks, but the team’s defense has improved. He credited a team effort as to why the numbers have gotten better.

“It’s my teammates," Rondo said. "Our communication is getting a lot better and our coverages are getting better. So it’s the whole team concept, not just me."
http://www.beinsports.tv/news/articl...ouple-of-years
Kante is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-2015, 06:43 PM   #482
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kante View Post
Celts fans seem pretty pissed about these quotes. Somewhat understandable, but I don't know how they'd expect him to give full effort over the past two seasons after knee surgeries and a rebuilding team.

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 08:21 PM   #483
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
Celts fans seem pretty pissed about these quotes. Somewhat understandable, but I don't know how they'd expect him to give full effort over the past two seasons after knee surgeries and a rebuilding team.
They should feel pretty pissed as should the east division point guards. I mean he was still getting paid a ton o bucks and he basically says he has been stealing money. He also says that the east points stink so bad that you do not even have to cover them.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 08:46 PM   #484
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394 View Post
They should feel pretty pissed as should the east division point guards. I mean he was still getting paid a ton o bucks and he basically says he has been stealing money. He also says that the east points stink so bad that you do not even have to cover them.
That's not what he said. About the east PGs he said he could coast because he had Avery Bradley who is the best defensive guard in the nba.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 09:03 PM   #485
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan View Post
That's not what he said. About the east PGs he said he could coast because he had Avery Bradley who is the best defensive guard in the nba.
Never let the truth get in the way of a good controversy!

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 09:52 PM   #486
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Guy is killing our spacing...damn we gonna miss Jameer
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 09:58 PM   #487
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefant77 View Post
Guy is killing our spacing...damn we gonna miss Jameer
It becomes harder and harder to comprehend how Nelson started for his team.

This trade has been pure gold at least as far as first impressions are concerned.

Old 01-02-2015, 10:49 PM   #488
mavsfan1000
Platinum Member

mavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:

This trade has been pure gold at least as far as first impressions are concerned.
Too early to tell.
mavsfan1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 10:56 PM   #489
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

No its not.

You traded Rondos bird rights for Wrights bird rights and the 2016 1st. Pure gold.
Old 01-02-2015, 11:04 PM   #490
mavsfan1000
Platinum Member

mavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefant77 View Post
No its not.

You traded Rondos bird rights for Wrights bird rights and the 2016 1st. Pure gold.
We lost 2 games with Rondo already. Our record is basically the same with Rondo. And he basically had his best game ever tonight. We'll see in a couple weeks where we're at.
Old 01-02-2015, 11:04 PM   #491
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavsfan1000 View Post
Too early to tell.
Quote:

Thanks for playing.

Old 01-02-2015, 11:05 PM   #492
particleman

particleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud of

Few things:

1) I don't think any of us who were opposed or lukewarm to the Rondo trade thought we were going to miss Jameer Nelson. Personally speaking, at the time I just thought we might have been better off benching Nelson and giving Harris an expanded role.

2) If you could have assured me at the time of the trade that Rondo hadn't been trying on defense the past couple of years and was still capable of playing defense consistently at an elite level, I would not have had any reservations about the trade.

3) It's true that it's too early to tell, and it might be too early to tell until the post-season and off-season play out. But, the early returns have been about as good as anyone could have hoped.
particleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 11:14 PM   #493
hayth.james.g
Golden Member

hayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by particleman View Post
Few things:

1) I don't think any of us who were opposed or lukewarm to the Rondo trade thought we were going to miss Jameer Nelson. Personally speaking, at the time I just thought we might have been better off benching Nelson and giving Harris an expanded role.

2) If you could have assured me at the time of the trade that Rondo hadn't been trying on defense the past couple of years and was still capable of playing defense consistently at an elite level, I would not have had any reservations about the trade.

3) It's true that it's too early to tell, and it might be too early to tell until the post-season and off-season play out. But, the early returns have been about as good as anyone could have hoped.
This is about as dead on as it can be. I was one of the few Rondo enthusiasts here on the boards. I feel like alot of people saw the trade for what it was: a necessary trade, but very few were downright pumped about it. Whether it gives us instant success or not was beside the point. The trade stands on its own. I kept telling everyone Rondo steps up when games matter. Right now he is playing about B to B+ level for him. His A is beyond excellent, and in the playoffs people will get to see that. Unfortunately we are still in the reg season so eventually we will see Rondo tone it down and coast abit. We will see some C grade Rondo nights. Just keep a level head and watch this guy evolve in the playoffs. I was one of the few who said over and over again that it wasn't rocket science. The guy had injuries and NOTHING to play for in Boston. Its really hard to push yourself when your playing in a situation like that.

Last edited by hayth.james.g; 01-02-2015 at 11:17 PM.
hayth.james.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 11:17 PM   #494
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
We lost 2 games with Rondo already. Our record is basically the same with Rondo. And he basically had his best game ever tonight. We'll see in a couple weeks where we're at.
Thanks for clearing up once and for all that you have no f'ing idea what you're talking about and are completely out of your depth on the subject of the Rondo trade.
Old 01-02-2015, 11:25 PM   #495
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by particleman View Post
Few things:

All well said.

I actually have seen some bellyaching about the loss of Nelson, and I'm absolutely baffled by it, but that's a tiny minority (pretty sure mavsfan1000's guilty) and I appreciate the reasoned perspective from somebody who was on the skeptical side.
Old 01-02-2015, 11:26 PM   #496
howdoesmydirktaste

howdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud of

Quote:
So a point guard was thrown into a new system and is only 6 games in, and the team has about the same winning percentage? Awesome. I can't wait to see what our winning percentage improves to once he figures it all out.

Also, the guys we traded away combined for 11 points tonight. That's three bodies. Three contracts. One third of Rondo's points tonight.
howdoesmydirktaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 01:57 AM   #497
mavsfan1000
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by howdoesmydirktaste View Post
So a point guard was thrown into a new system and is only 6 games in, and the team has about the same winning percentage? Awesome. I can't wait to see what our winning percentage improves to once he figures it all out.

Also, the guys we traded away combined for 11 points tonight. That's three bodies. Three contracts. One third of Rondo's points tonight.
Like I said just 1 game. We did great without Rondo as well. The Celtics have become a losing organization. They play no defense. We'll see how our spacing is against the teams that actually emphasize defense.

Last edited by mavsfan1000; 01-03-2015 at 01:57 AM.
Old 01-03-2015, 02:16 AM   #498
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Like I said just 1 game. We did great without Rondo as well. The Celtics have become a losing organization. They play no defense. We'll see how our spacing is against the teams that actually emphasize defense.
The irony in this post....
Old 01-03-2015, 02:22 AM   #499
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

Quote:
We'll see how our spacing is against the teams that actually emphasize defense.
OKC and the Wizards say hi. You completely miss it cause you have your head buried too far up you own ass.
Old 01-03-2015, 02:33 AM   #500
mavsfan1000
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grndmstr_c View Post
OKC and the Wizards say hi. You completely miss it cause you have your head buried too far up you own ass.
OKC without Durant and Leastern Conference teams aren't top notch wins. Wait until we play GS, Portland, Memphis, and Houston.

Last edited by mavsfan1000; 01-03-2015 at 02:33 AM.
Old 01-03-2015, 06:38 AM   #501
Kante
Diamond Member

Kante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
And he basically had his best game ever tonight.
It's official. Mavsfan1000 climbed the mountain to become the worst poster around here, congrats!
Old 01-03-2015, 09:19 AM   #502
sefant77
Guru

Quote:
Did we play any defense before the trade?!

Our spacing against good defensive teams wont be as bad as our entire defense before the trade...
Old 01-03-2015, 09:23 AM   #503
howdoesmydirktaste

howdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud of

Quote:
I've watched enough basketball in my life to know that after seven games (5-2) I can tell whether or not people are going to have chemistry issues. I don't see that here. In fact, I have seen it improve and exceed beyond the chemistry that we had with Nelson. Never forget that Carlisle is our coach. We figured it out on the fly. Everything is going according to plan. With Rondo in our lineup we are knocking on the door of a 55-60 win season in a really tough west if we stay on this pace of winning percentage.

Other than a game with the Clippers, we have a soft schedule between now and the 19th. It's a great time to build the chemistry even better. It's a great time to go on a huge run. With Carlisle as our coach, I have little reason to doubt that he will do what he needs to do to prepare us for that.

And on your point about the Celtics being a losing organization. That implies that Rondo will do better here and that the pieces we traded away will do worse. If you look at the box scores, that's exactly what is happening. Thanks for supporting/validating my point (about the notion that Rondo is going to tear it up in Dallas). Of course, I have several people on this site that share my opinion. You're truly on an island right now.

Last edited by howdoesmydirktaste; 01-03-2015 at 09:41 AM.
Old 01-03-2015, 09:35 AM   #504
AO41
Platinum Member

AO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud of

Great stuff from Wright...he pretty much says he understands the trade and that it had to be done. Just a great guy...played his role so well and loved him as a Mav....hope to see him back next season for sure.

http://basketball.realgm.com/analysi...am-Aspirations
Old 01-03-2015, 09:49 AM   #505
howdoesmydirktaste

Quote:
Originally Posted by AO41 View Post
Great stuff from Wright...he pretty much says he understands the trade and that it had to be done. Just a great guy...played his role so well and loved him as a Mav....hope to see him back next season for sure.

http://basketball.realgm.com/analysi...am-Aspirations
Stand up guy. It would be good to see him go to CLE and get to play in the playoffs.
Old 01-03-2015, 09:56 AM   #506
howdoesmydirktaste

Another Rondo observation.

In our last three games our point totals were 112, 114, 119. Our average before Rondo's arrival was like 110. So basically, he's not screwing up our floor spacing. Unless you consider scoring more point "screwing up floor spacing". I got these numbers from a Tim McMahon tweet.

I didn't watch the game last night due to family obligations, but I think our D looks better since Rondo arrived.

Last edited by howdoesmydirktaste; 01-03-2015 at 09:57 AM.
Old 01-03-2015, 11:10 AM   #507
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by howdoesmydirktaste View Post
Another Rondo observation.

In our last three games our point totals were 112, 114, 119. Our average before Rondo's arrival was like 110. So basically, he's not screwing up our floor spacing. Unless you consider scoring more point "screwing up floor spacing". I got these numbers from a Tim McMahon tweet.

I didn't watch the game last night due to family obligations, but I think our D looks better since Rondo arrived.
Offensive efficiency has been down, but it's rising. Pace has gone way up and has made up for the slight drop in efficiency, which I love. We're pushing it more with a competent ball handler and we're getting more rebounds so we can start more breaks.

Defensive efficiency went from literally last to first in the league (at least units with Rondo)

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 01-03-2015 at 11:12 AM.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 11:12 AM   #508
mavsfan1000
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kante View Post
It's official. Mavsfan1000 climbed the mountain to become the worst poster around here, congrats!
If you expect Rondo to play like Ray Allen from here on out, you have mistaken. Seriously, why can't we debate without insulting each other?
Old 01-03-2015, 11:16 AM   #509
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
If you expect Rondo to play like Ray Allen from here on out, you have mistaken. Seriously, why can't we debate without insulting each other?
You seem to be missing the point yet again, which is why other posters have been frustrated with you. You have an agenda that you continue to push without even being aware of facts or reading other peoples' posts. No one said that they thought that Rondo was going to suddenly shoot 71% from three or even 40%. Seriously. That is why people are frustrated with you.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 01-03-2015 at 11:20 AM.
Old 01-03-2015, 11:20 AM   #510
Kante
Diamond Member

Quote:
Serious debate after YOU stated that Rondo had his best game ever yesterday? I doubt it...

(If you talk about his shooting, you should have said that in the entry post. Frustrating to discuss with you like Erica said. Like talking to a wall...)

Last edited by Kante; 01-03-2015 at 11:21 AM.
Old 01-03-2015, 11:39 AM   #511
hayth.james.g
Golden Member

hayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
You seem to be missing the point yet again, which is why other posters have been frustrated with you. You have an agenda that you continue to push without even being aware of facts or reading other peoples' posts. No one said that they thought that Rondo was going to suddenly shoot 71% from three or even 40%. Seriously. That is why people are frustrated with you.
He's going to be reaching all season long for anything that supports his view. Facts will be ignored, reason thrown out the window. If you can't see the value at this point then your blind. It's been out in laymans terms multiple times discussing why we did it for the now and the future. Either way he won't stop so just get use to it. Some people just can't be wrong.
hayth.james.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 11:44 AM   #512
sefant77
Guru

Quote:
You constantly throw this trade under the bus because of the "spacing issues" blabla and how this gonna be a problem against the better teams.

You also totally ignore our horrible defense (specially at the PG position) before the trade, especially against the better teams.

You also ignore the facts how Wrights production always fell off a cliff against the better and bigger FC.

So overall this problems were way bigger than any potential spacing issue. We had a great offense (but also overrated because of all the games against EC garbage) but with our defense we were going nowhere in the playoffs, that was pretty much 03-04 again.

So, and now look at this trade:
At the PG position we switched Rondo for Nelson. Gigantic upgrade.

And Wrights production we are filling now with extended minutes for Jefferson, Villa and Smith. And the way they played the past games i dont see a significant downgrade at all.At both ends of the court. But you still have this giant change at the PG position.

And then you go into the summer and there you go. Wright looking for a bigger payday. Means paying him and kill your cap space or let him go. Just to get like 12m in cap you had to let go Wright, hoping that Nelson dont use his option or ship him out with 3m in cash, hoping for Tyson signing a hometown discount of like 7-8m and stretch Felton. For 12m cap. Maybe still not enough for Dragic or Rondo because you are battling with desperate franchises like Knicks, Lakers, Rockets...but now you have his bird rights. And you can keep Feltons expiring contract to trade for another solid roleplayer...

Ah and another question: What you think other players the Mavs could have gotten with this trade package until the deadline...be honest.

This trade will be forever an eternal no-brainer and will be for sure an upgrade for this season. Because our team, Rondo and our HC are way too smart not to make this happen.And the first games and stats are showing this.

And dont try to trash the stats just because it was weak teams or teams with missing players...otherwise you have to trash Wrights stats this season too.

Last edited by sefant77; 01-03-2015 at 11:46 AM.
Old 01-03-2015, 12:03 PM   #513
mavsfan1000
Platinum Member

Our defense is bad or average in multiple positions. As long as Rondo hits his 3's, we'll be alright. Historically, that is not his strength. But to be a good fit, he will have to be a good shooter. I question if he can hit those shots in a playoff setting against a good team.
Old 01-03-2015, 12:09 PM   #514
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Whatever "spacing issues" might have been a concern with Rondo and Ellis have been alleviated by Parsons' ability to knock down the outside shot... Not to mention that Ellis has been doing more damage from the midrange since Rondo got here.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 12:10 PM   #515
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Our defense is bad or average in multiple positions. As long as Rondo hits his 3's, we'll be alright. Historically, that is not his strength. But to be a good fit, he will have to be a good shooter. I question if he can hit those shots in a playoff setting against a good team.
No he doesn't need to hit 3s. What we've lost in offensive efficiency we've made up for with better shots and more possessions because of the pace Rondo has us playing at. Meanwhile we've made enormous strides on defense. Both the numbers and the eyes back this up. Look at what Wall and Westbrook did against then ask yourself could Jameer Nelson do things like deny Westbrook off-ball?

I know you badly want to defend your original position that the trade was a bad idea but honestly there's NOTHING that backs that up. Want to see what a bad move looks like? See Rockets signing Smith.

Last edited by tap2390; 01-03-2015 at 12:13 PM.
tap2390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 12:11 PM   #516
sefant77
Guru

Quote:
Crowder couldnt handle the ball or create

Wright and Nelson couldnt defend pretty much anyone.

So with your logic we traded bad fits for another bad fit...huh

And another point: He isnt Nelson or Calderon. Who are useless if they are cold from outside. Rondo has a way bigger skillset to influence the game even without hitting well from outside.

Last edited by sefant77; 01-03-2015 at 12:14 PM.
Old 01-03-2015, 12:31 PM   #517
mavsfan1000
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap2390 View Post
No he doesn't need to hit 3s. What we've lost in offensive efficiency we've made up for with better shots and more possessions because of the pace Rondo has us playing at. Meanwhile we've made enormous strides on defense. Both the numbers and the eyes back this up. Look at what Wall and Westbrook did against then ask yourself could Jameer Nelson do things like deny Westbrook off-ball?

I know you badly want to defend your original position that the trade was a bad idea but honestly there's NOTHING that backs that up. Want to see what a bad move looks like? See Rockets signing Smith.
Our offensive flow was great with Nelson as well. If Rondo can keep up with his defensive effort and shooting, that changes everything. But I need to see more games before declaring the trade a success. The other surprise is how well Smith is backing up Chandler. But I disagree with you on the importance of Rondo's outside shot. We aren't going anywhere if Rondo can't hit the open shot.
Old 01-03-2015, 12:36 PM   #518
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Our offensive flow was great with Nelson as well. If Rondo can keep up with his defensive effort and shooting, that changes everything. But I need to see more games before declaring the trade a success. The other surprise is how well Smith is backing up Chandler. But I disagree with you on the importance of Rondo's outside shot. We aren't going anywhere if Rondo can't hit the open shot.
Seems like you have seen enough games to call it a failure, though.

All the good is "too early to tell"
All the bad is "told you so"

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 01-03-2015 at 12:41 PM.
Old 01-03-2015, 12:42 PM   #519
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

If the Mavs lose in, say, the second round of the playoffs, it's going to be a fascinating social experiment to wait for the people to claim that they would have done better with star players Brandan Wright, Jae Crowder, and Jameer Nelson.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 12:47 PM   #520
mavsfan1000
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
Seems like you have seen enough games to call it a failure, though.

All the good is "too early to tell"
All the bad is "told you so"
I thought it would be. But Rondo has shot better than I thought as well as defended better. Both things he struggled with in his last 2 years with the Celtics. So now I'm more optimistic than before. But still question if he can sustain this level.

Tags
goat offense, jameer nelson goat